F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Expert advice needed to build an F30!
Extreme Powerhouse

02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Expert advice needed to build an F30!

Someone I know wants to buy a new F30. Thinking to get the 320D "Luxury", whatever that means!

I have a few questions on the optional equipment list on build your BMW:

1) Run flat tyres.

It has the option to untick this, and automatically remove the existing 18s alloys selected, and replace with some 19s. So would this then include a spare tyre with a jack etc, like most other manufacturers?

2) Automatic Vs Sport Automatic

Both have 8 speed, but what gearbox is most suited for casual driving? My assumption says the normal auto one. Any thoughts on the differences between these?

3) Suspension

The suspension required needs to have the best ride quality. A luxury feel, and not the crashy shite from previous models. Would the standard suspension in the "Luxury" model be ok, as there are options for Adaptive M Sport

4) Steering. Think there are 3 options?

This is not for a young driver, so priority is comfort and ease of use!!

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

1. No and the 19" are run flat too.
2. Either but Sport Auto is nicer as it has paddles on the wheel
3. Adaptive M sport all the way
4. Standard - unless you want too hoon

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
^ wot he said

Note 'standard' suspension is the same whether you get the ED, SE, Modern or Luxury, i.e. the 'Luxury' line refers to trim level rather than ride comfort. That said, yep the adaptive setup is supposed to handle our crumbling, under-funded, neglected, pot-holed, traffic-clogged roads better

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

Many thanks
If it's comfort your after I'd at least get the Servotronic Steering makes parking a breeze and starts to stiffen up as you go faster but not as stiff as if you go into Sport mode, nicely weighted.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys.

So i guess we'll go with adaptive m sport and servitronic steering. Looks like this will have the best ride quality, offer adjustments to the damping and also make parking easier

Has anyone used the active cruise control with stop and go? What's it like in the real world? Any good in London traffic?

Any other options you reckon is a must on the F30?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys.

So i guess we'll go with adaptive m sport and servitronic steering. Looks like this will have the best ride quality, offer adjustments to the damping and also make parking easier

Has anyone used the active cruise control with stop and go? What's it like in the real world? Any good in London traffic?

Any other options you reckon is a must on the F30?
I've got all those options you have mentioned. I've also got the HK audio upgrade, which simply blows the standard 6 speakers away. But my fav package is the Visibility Pack, call me vain but the car looks smoking hot with the LED rings and the lovely xenon white beam.

Checkout my thread with a demo of the high beam assist (part of the vis pack):
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799927
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I've got all those options you have mentioned. I've also got the HK audio upgrade, which simply blows the standard 6 speakers away. But my fav package is the Visibility Pack, call me vain but the car looks smoking hot with the LED rings and the lovely xenon white beam.

Checkout my thread with a demo of the high beam assist (part of the vis pack):
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799927
Yep we have also selected the HK system and the visibilty pack. Good to know someone stands by them!

Will check your thread out now
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

OMG the HBA looks amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have Active cruise and find that whilst it is "cautious" in terms of braking... it does work very well. The acid test is would I order it again? Answer Yes.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
+++++1 for the Visibility Pack. It's amazing and it's on my 'must have' list now for my next car.

I'd also spec the HUD, particularly if you're going for the Pro Nav and Speed Limit Display. It just seems so natural now to have all the info you need there in the periphery of your vision. Drove a courtesy car the other day that didn't have it and it felt the whole time like something was missing!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Someone I know wants to buy a new F30. Thinking to get the 320D "Luxury", whatever that means!

Many thanks
Besides the options already mentioned, for "ease of use", the camera options are something else. Reversing camera is a very good bit of kit. For real 'luxury' worth considering the surround cameras and then you have a second pair of eyes for parking and positioning, pulling out of blind areas, etc.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

I have a few questions on the optional equipment list on build your BMW:

1) Run flat tyres.

It has the option to untick this, and automatically remove the existing 18s alloys selected, and replace with some 19s. So would this then include a spare tyre with a jack etc, like most other manufacturers?

2) Automatic Vs Sport Automatic

Both have 8 speed, but what gearbox is most suited for casual driving? My assumption says the normal auto one. Any thoughts on the differences between these?

3) Suspension

The suspension required needs to have the best ride quality. A luxury feel, and not the crashy shite from previous models. Would the standard suspension in the "Luxury" model be ok, as there are options for Adaptive M Sport

Many thanks
As has been said the only BMW F30 with non run flats is the ED version. It has Michelin 'energy' tyres on it. There is a tick box, but un-checkable in the UK.

Sport auto is worth having....the gearbox does reward manual control. You can still row the gearbox with the lever, but the steering mounted paddles are 100 times better.

Without doubt the standard suspension will give you the best quality ride. Only go M Sport adaptive if you want a jarring ride occasionally, but as you have said this is NOT your thing, avoid. I have deleted adaptive on my new build. I didn't like it.

Standard steering is fine, light and easy. Servotronic adds a heavy 'sport mode' and more feel in comfort mode. Not tried VSS but believe it takes the Servotronic to the next level even in general street driving.

Adaptive cruise is great, but I would only spec it if you drive alot. Makes average limits through road works and motorway driving a breeze.

I would consider the folding rear seats, for practicality reasons.

Good luck with the order
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

I had the folding seats on my e90 and would have been a few times without them, I would have thought I would say this in my life time but the sport auto box is very good drove a few time know, Visability as well
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
I have Active cruise and find that whilst it is "cautious" in terms of braking... it does work very well. The acid test is would I order it again? Answer Yes.
Please could you expand on this? Does it not brake natural? Is it good to use in traffic, or do you end up looking like you can't drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Without doubt the standard suspension will give you the best quality ride. Only go M Sport adaptive if you want a jarring ride occasionally, but as you have said this is NOT your thing, avoid. I have deleted adaptive on my new build. I didn't like it.

Standard steering is fine, light and easy. Servotronic adds a heavy 'sport mode' and more feel in comfort mode. Not tried VSS but believe it takes the Servotronic to the next level even in general street driving.

Adaptive cruise is great, but I would only spec it if you drive alot. Makes average limits through road works and motorway driving a breeze.

I would consider the folding rear seats, for practicality reasons.

Good luck with the order
Thanks

Yep, ride quality definitely the number one priority, especially over rough surfaces. Got some different opinions on here regarding this

Will probably go for standard steering then.

This is going to sound bad but the person is also considering an F10. Any thoughts and is all the advice on the thread also applicable to the F10?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest, if going for a limited number of options, an F10 is a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

I wish a heated windscreen was an option. It's just one of those things that once you have had it you realise how useful it is and it is certainly a safety aid for driving particularly in the winter.

Can't understand why BMW haven't got it as an option.

How is the Ventilation / demisting system on the F30/31?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
I wish a heated windscreen was an option. It's just one of those things that once you have had it you realise how useful it is and it is certainly a safety aid for driving particularly in the winter.

Can't understand why BMW haven't got it as an option.

How is the Ventilation / demisting system on the F30/31?
Erm, maybe they have a problem paying another OEM royalties to use it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Please could you expand on this? Does it not brake natural? Is it good to use in traffic, or do you end up looking like you can't drive?
What you have to remember is that active cruise is a computer. Thus it does exactly what it is programmed to do. It cant see indicators... only "object" or "no object" so you cant just switch off... i.e. it will accelerate at a car indicating to move in front of you until it actually does.. ditto it will brake for a car indicating to move... until it does...

If you think it will drive the car for you then you will hate it.... if you accept that what it does is make traffic less tiresome 95% of the time and learn to adapt your style to it... (i.e. apply the throttle to override it on occasions) then it is wonderful.

I would spec it again and again.. but i can see why some others would not like it... alot of this is down to trust.. having had other cars with it I am comfortable using it.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
PopeHamish
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Erm, maybe they have a problem paying another OEM royalties to use it?
This has always surprised me and seems to be a really restrictive patent, surely something like this is limiting to other manufacturers from offering what should be a basic requirement for all cars.

I'd also be interested to see the level of payments required to implement to technology? I'd certainly opt for it on a spec list so it can't be cost-prohibitive?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Has anyone used the tyre pressure menu on their F10/30. Think it gives exact pressure values. Sound investment?

Also, I am trying to arrange a test drive of an F10 SE with VDC.
Appreciate 0