F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F 30 is too beautiful or isn't it?
Studio RSR

11-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
jungfrau
Rep
Drives: e 90

F 30 is too beautiful or isn't it?

Hello to all,
This is my first post here, and I want to congratulate you for this site - it's just wonderful! thanks for this.

I'm a long time/ life time a BMW man, my first one was 19 years ago and since then... you know the song.

I'm currently driving an E 90 saphire black with dakota beige, sport package, etc., and 90% happy with it - five years from when I bought it - and consider it one of the most accomplished - in terms of automotive design - sedan that BMW ever made - that considering the first 7 series V12 from 1987, which is without doubt the most beautiful sedan BMW ever built.

So I was really excited about the opportunity to spend 40-60 thousand on a new 3 series and when I saw the first real pictures... well, it was like a acute disease! A good one.

Just that after a week of intoxication with pics, videos, sport-modern-luxury-M lines, etc.... it just hit me:
I would definitely go for the luxury line in a dark colour ( black or perhaps imperial blue), with 19 inches wheels, shadow line, either veneto beige or black leather and etc.

I did this on the UK configurator. Of course it's a sinthethic image but gives a pretty good ideea about how the car would look.
And it looks good, of course. Very good! Honestly speaking I don't find the 5er beautiful, but that's a personal thing, I just don't like it at all.
On the contrary I like a lot the 7er, despite I can't say I consider it beautiful. It's not beautiful but I like it very much. Again, it's just me.

But the F 30 I like a lot, it is beautiful, it is beautiful, it is wonderful.

Even the interior, facia, instruments, etc., is really good compared to my E 90 (not so good compared to Audi and Mercedes, but in this respect I think bmw men just want to make us feel some pain about spending lots of money on their cars, just because they like to underline our dependence... it's called the Stockholm syndrome in literature!).

Beautiful it is; but after that intoxicating f 30 pictures week, it started to look too beautiful - and maybe a little bit too edulcorated to me.
Most probably it's just me, again.

But I find the e 90 a better resolved mix of beauty and agresivity, a perfect balance of understatement and overstatement - and a package that marvelously express the BMW philosophy.

The f 30 it's a little bit too beautiful compared to the e 90, a bit undecided. Yes it's a great piece of design and surely one of the most desirable cars you can get today, but it encompasses less BMW spirit that did the E 90, and this is a pity to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Are you sure the chromeline wouldn't fit the dark-colored Luxury better?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

This was well put. Thanks for a wonderful write-up. You really do sound like a true BMW man. Sir, I raise you a pint.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
you dont like the 5er at all? you have bad taste or you're too old
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
alexanderlt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

The 5er looks great from certain angles! and If I could afford it I would go with a 550 m-sport. But instead I'll be waiting for the new f30-msport
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
No he just has his own taste like we are all entitled to. I don't much care for the exterior looks of the F10 either and prefer the looks of both the LCI E90 and the current 7.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
jungfrau
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlt View Post
The 5er looks great from certain angles! and If I could afford it I would go with a 550 m-sport. But instead I'll be waiting for the new f30-msport
That's true!
But I would suggest to drive one, because it's a bit different 5 series compared to what it used to be.
I recently drove F10 - 530d, 535i and 550 - and decided I certainly don't want one of these, despite I was on the edge to buy a fully spec 550 (not sure I could afford it!).
It's not the 5 series it used to be, and I don't like what it becomes. I would rather buy a Mercedes than a F 10.
On the other hand I've been told that the price diff between F30 and F10 is small for the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
jungfrau
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
well, probably you are right about I'm too old; also about my bad taste.
obviously, you have very good taste - and you're younger than I am; maybe you're just too young. that would explain it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungfrau View Post
Hello to all,
This is my first post here, and I want to congratulate you for this site - it's just wonderful! thanks for this.

I'm a long time/ life time a BMW man, my first one was 19 years ago and since then... you know the song.

I'm currently driving an E 90 saphire black with dakota beige, sport package, etc., and 90% happy with it - five years from when I bought it - and consider it one of the most accomplished - in terms of automotive design - sedan that BMW ever made - that considering the first 7 series V12 from 1987, which is without doubt the most beautiful sedan BMW ever built.

So I was really excited about the opportunity to spend 40-60 thousand on a new 3 series and when I saw the first real pictures... well, it was like a acute disease! A good one.

Just that after a week of intoxication with pics, videos, sport-modern-luxury-M lines, etc.... it just hit me:
I would definitely go for the luxury line in a dark colour ( black or perhaps imperial blue), with 19 inches wheels, shadow line, either veneto beige or black leather and etc.

I did this on the UK configurator. Of course it's a sinthethic image but gives a pretty good ideea about how the car would look.
And it looks good, of course. Very good! Honestly speaking I don't find the 5er beautiful, but that's a personal thing, I just don't like it at all.
On the contrary I like a lot the 7er, despite I can't say I consider it beautiful. It's not beautiful but I like it very much. Again, it's just me.

But the F 30 I like a lot, it is beautiful, it is beautiful, it is wonderful.

Even the interior, facia, instruments, etc., is really good compared to my E 90 (not so good compared to Audi and Mercedes, but in this respect I think bmw men just want to make us feel some pain about spending lots of money on their cars, just because they like to underline our dependence... it's called the Stockholm syndrome in literature!).

Beautiful it is; but after that intoxicating f 30 pictures week, it started to look too beautiful - and maybe a little bit too edulcorated to me.
Most probably it's just me, again.

But I find the e 90 a better resolved mix of beauty and agresivity, a perfect balance of understatement and overstatement - and a package that marvelously express the BMW philosophy.

The f 30 it's a little bit too beautiful compared to the e 90, a bit undecided. Yes it's a great piece of design and surely one of the most desirable cars you can get today, but it encompasses less BMW spirit that did the E 90, and this is a pity to me.
I understand your question, is the F30 too beautiful? For many of us, BMW has been a brand reflecting the Bauhaus philosophy, “Form-Follows-Function” with it's understated style. When Chris Bangle introduced the E90, much of the Bauhaus look was replaced with new forms and flamed surfaces. Looking at the new F30 I'm beginning to see a carry over from the Bangle style into a new design language. Which brings to mind a quote, "Emotion Follows Form" by Apple Computer's first formal industrial designer, Hartmut Esslinger. Esslinger paraphrased the term to describe Apple Computer first line of products. Apple’s goal was to design computers with a sexy-California style that contrasted competitors products sporting a look of dull-sullen industrial/business office equipment. Looking at the F30, from the side, the front facia and it’s interior with it’s layered dashboard design, BMW is raising the bar, injecting emotion in redefining the look of luxury and sport into their new 3 series.
Appreciate 0