F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Rear Camera Malfunction
Studio RSR

02-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Rear Camera Malfunction

I'll preface this with saying - YES I'm bringing it to the dealership in this upcoming week...

Just Curious if anyone else is having this issue - When the rear camera is activated, it works properly, but I get the warning of Rear Camera malfunction. It goes away when it is disengaged.

It has been intermittent, but seems to be worse on much colder days.

I appreciate the input, or if you have experienced this and know what the fix is.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

So the camera works, but you're getting a warning anyway?

Probably an intermittent connection at the camera or somewhere in the wiring harness. I've seen this happen on other cars too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Yup, still have to take my car to the dealer. It started about a year ago...the rear view camera malfunction doesn't happen too often, but side view/top view are more common. Recently, my left side view camera shows a blue screen when turned on, then warns about an error. Works properly when it's warm out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
yea, this happens to me every winter.

last year i took it to the dealership and they replaced the camera modules.

I also found out the error won't happen if I wipe all the cameras clean. But this error seems to happen randomly so I'm not sure if that's the cause or I was just lucky.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
So the camera works, but you're getting a warning anyway?

Probably an intermittent connection at the camera or somewhere in the wiring harness. I've seen this happen on other cars too.
Correct, I get the warning, despite normal expected function of the camera.

Happens with both rear view and top view, but specifically relates to the rear view camera. Incidentally my parking sensors aren't working well, but I expect that's from the dirt.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Dconlan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Garage List
I have had this issue for the past year, dealer has replaced fender cameras, the under mirror and rear camera, also the "main data cable" and the camera cables. They also recently replaced a logic unit and updated software. It's been 2 weeks since and so far no malfunction messages. I hope you have a quicker resolution to your issues than I did!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Most likely you have either a bad camera, bad camera HSD cable or bad camera module.

its hard to be more specific than that since all the above have been known to go bad. Its surprising BMW has so many issues with the HSD cables themselves. Some cables are just bad internally, others don't weather seal correctly and the pins corrode.

From experience, it also seems the camera system (specifically surround camera cars) don't diagnose specific bad cameras/cables well. The module often throws a short code and doesn't tell which camera/cable caused it. This leaves the dealer try to diagnose one by one. A real pain.

Personally, I would encourage you to ask that cameras be changed before you let the dealer string new HSD cables through car.

All in all, the surround camera system is not the best electrical design. I'm quite sure BMW has learned and will address this in future models, if they haven't already in other newer cars, such as the new X5....
      03-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Correct, I get the warning, despite normal expected function of the camera.

Happens with both rear view and top view, but specifically relates to the rear view camera. Incidentally my parking sensors aren't working well, but I expect that's from the dirt.
When you are in top view, does the warning message still say "rear view camera malfunction" or does it say "camera system malfunction"? What happens when you switch on the side view cameras (bumper cameras)?
      03-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #9
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Camera system malfunction, then rear view camera malfunction just when on the rears; Side view cameras show no error. Totally intermittent. Didn't have any today.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V
Camera system malfunction, then rear view camera malfunction just when on the rears; Side view cameras show no error. Totally intermittent. Didn't have any today.
next time cameras throw error, switch to side view and leave it for a minute or two. see of "Side View malfunction" shows.

dealer will need to go through prescribed fault analysis. BMWNA (through puma case) first has dealer recalibrate cameras before they let them swap parts.

let us know how this works out for you.
      03-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If anyone is following, essentially the triggered error was the entire camera system, so they had to plug each camera in separately to find a fault. Found a fault with the right front side view camera which had corrosion on the cable. Hope this is helpful if anyone else suffers this unusual problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Dconlan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, unfortunately this morning my "Rear view and side view camera malfunction" messages re-appeared. It went for several weeks with no problems, I don't know what else can be replaced in the camera system to remedy this issue, I guess it's back to the dealer for the 12th time
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V
If anyone is following, essentially the triggered error was the entire camera system, so they had to plug each camera in separately to find a fault. Found a fault with the right front side view camera which had corrosion on the cable. Hope this is helpful if anyone else suffers this unusual problem.
How has it worked out, no issues since?

My car is in for regular service and they're looking at the total camera system faults among other things. It got to the point where 95% of the time I would get the fault message, no matter which camera selection I tried to use.

My advisor told me yesterday they were replacing the harness and it would take them into today, but here it is now after lunch and still no word. I'm hoping that they come to see the module is what needs to be swapped... I'd hate to have to come back again to deal with this further.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
Dconlan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still happening

I now have an appointment for 4/24 to have the Rear and Side View Camera Malfunction checked/repaired, this will be the 10th trip in a year for this issue. The last time it was in for this and other issues was~6 weeks ago, the dealer had BMW N/A zone rep involved and after a 5+ day stay and numerous cameras, modules and cables replaced and software updates, the BMW N/A Rep drove my car for over 200 miles, they considered the problem solved. Well, it has been throwing these malfunction messages intermittently again for the past 2 weeks. I hope you can get yours resolved with a whole lot fewer trips than I have had, good luck. I just don't understand how a manufacturer can put enough effort into an automobile to have a "self diagnosis" program in a car to identify it is "malfunctioning", and then be completely baffled on how to correct the malfunction the car has identified? Not impressed...

Last edited by Dconlan; 04-16-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dconlan View Post
I now have an appointment for 4/24 to have the Rear and Side View Camera Malfunction checked/repaired, this will be the 10th trip in a year for this issue. The last time it was in for this and other issues was~6 weeks ago, the dealer had BMW N/A zone rep involved and after a 5+ day stay and numerous cameras, modules and cables replaced and software updates, the BMW N/A Rep drove my car for over 200 miles, they considered the problem solved. Well, it has been throwing these malfunction messages intermittently again for the past 2 weeks. I hope you can get yours resolved with a whole lot fewer trips than I have had, good luck. I just don't understand how a manufacturer can put enough effort into an automobile to have a "self diagnosis" program in a car to identify it is "malfunctioning", and then be completely baffled on how to correct the malfunction the car has identified? Not impressed...
Yikes, frustrating. You could probably pursue lemon/buyback if you felt so inclined.

I got my car back, they changed out the front right camera and wire. The bumper seems to be a vulnerable place for these things. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back... how nice it is to not hear the gong every time I go into reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
How has it worked out, no issues since?

My car is in for regular service and they're looking at the total camera system faults among other things. It got to the point where 95% of the time I would get the fault message, no matter which camera selection I tried to use.

My advisor told me yesterday they were replacing the harness and it would take them into today, but here it is now after lunch and still no word. I'm hoping that they come to see the module is what needs to be swapped... I'd hate to have to come back again to deal with this further.
How has it worked out? Great question!! The error message is less intermittent, BUT I still haven't gotten the repair due to the part still not here from Germany!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
Dconlan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Welcome to the club!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Went a whole day without the issue! Still haven't gotten the part! I think it's the sub 40º temps that make it worse
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

i post this everywhere as it might help others in my situation:

I am going through this problem right now - I bought a 2013 F30 a few days a go and realized this error was popping up even though the camera is OEM factory fitted for the model. However, my trunk was a carboin fiber after market. First they tried to reinitialize (code) all the sensors/camera again saying this was because whoever changed the lid didnt do it. Cost = $85
The next day the same error popped up - another auxilary problem with this error are the rest of the sensors, especially the lane assist/blind spot detection eitehr stop working or start going off even when there is no car around me.

So I took it in and now they are saying it is because the bracket that holds the camera in the trunk is broken or lose and everytime i hit a bump or close the trunk, the camera goes out of calibration causing all sensors to go heywire as well. As such, they want me to pay them $500 to fit in a new bracket and foil some part of my carboon fiber lid so they can successfully hold the camera in spot.
I am thinking of picking the car up and working it out my self but i thought i'd let you guys know.

Considering that you have a retrofit, i am guessing the bracket is not holding the camera in spoit.
N if anyone can help me with my ordeal - plz reach out!!! I literally jsut bought this car and dont have the money or time to take this on right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #21
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummali View Post
i post this everywhere as it might help others in my situation:

I am going through this problem right now - I bought a 2013 F30 a few days a go and realized this error was popping up even though the camera is OEM factory fitted for the model. However, my trunk was a carboin fiber after market. First they tried to reinitialize (code) all the sensors/camera again saying this was because whoever changed the lid didnt do it. Cost = $85
The next day the same error popped up - another auxilary problem with this error are the rest of the sensors, especially the lane assist/blind spot detection eitehr stop working or start going off even when there is no car around me.

So I took it in and now they are saying it is because the bracket that holds the camera in the trunk is broken or lose and everytime i hit a bump or close the trunk, the camera goes out of calibration causing all sensors to go heywire as well. As such, they want me to pay them $500 to fit in a new bracket and foil some part of my carboon fiber lid so they can successfully hold the camera in spot.
I am thinking of picking the car up and working it out my self but i thought i'd let you guys know.

Considering that you have a retrofit, i am guessing the bracket is not holding the camera in spoit.
N if anyone can help me with my ordeal - plz reach out!!! I literally jsut bought this car and dont have the money or time to take this on right now.

Put on the OEM trunk or deal with the problem! Clearly you have time based on your "i post this everywhere as it might help others in my situation:".

There's only one person in your situation. Start your own thread, others will help you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #22
ProBoss
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I M SPORT AUTO 2015

I’m having a similar issue with my car. I have 2015 328i so it’s a pre lci f30.

I had a Apple car play box installed and stored underneath my idrive unit in the dash. However due to the placement of the CarPlay unit I believe it caused my idrive unit to overheat and stop working for a while. After it had cooled down the drive unit did power on again but now my reverse camera is no longer working.

My PDC is working and the screen for it shows up on the screen. It’s just the camera shows up with a blank black image.

I used the bimmerlink app to read some error codes and found that the module that controlles the reverse camera and automatic parking assistant is unresponsive.

If anyone knows who I can go about fixing this please get back to me. I really don’t fancy taking this to a bmw and paying through the roof.
Appreciate 0