F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Project X - F32 435i - Mods/Coding
GetBMWParts

02-25-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
skarimi
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i M Performance Edition

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Project X - F32 435i - Mods/Coding

I have been wanting do this post for a while. Finally got around to it.

I will be posting list of changes with some detail that I have so far done on my 2015 435i M Perfomance Edition.

Most of the coding is has been covered in different posts so I will not be going in too much detail unless there is an specific question with regards to it. However, some of the coding I encountered were specific to a 2015+ models so this could answer some of your questions if you are doing the same.

First, shout-out to svache for his detailed post on coding F30 base cars. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777
This was a big help and starting point.

For the coding I used the following versions of software:
E-Sys: v3.26.1
psdzdata: v57.3 (this is newer that the firmware in my car, however, psdzdata is backwards compatible and uses the I-level for your car so as long as it is newer, it will not make a difference. More on why this matters later.)

List of changes

1. Enable Active High Beam Assistant
This has been covered in other forums. But since I had to gather information from different places, here is all the changes I did in one place.
VO code: remove 5AP and 8S4 from FA
change the speed to active and deactivate HBA (I used deactivate under 60kph and activate over 75kph)
There is also a highway mode which lengthens the stretch of hwy in front of you that is illuminated. this mode has an activate/deactivate speed as well. (I used deactivate under 90kph and activate over 105kph)

2. Enable Extended Bluetooth
Here is where 2015+ matters. prior to this the definition of basic and extended bluetooth were different. 6NH (basic BT) on earlier cars (i.e I-levels) meant just being able to have a phone call over BT without audio streaming capabilities. However on the newer ones, 6NH (basic BT) has audio streaming as well. hence, I did not initially look into BT upgrade codings as I thought I have the extended.
On 2015+ models, if you have extended BT you will have the Office feature in iDrive which allows you among other things to access Txt messages from your phone. If you do not have this feature then you are likely programmed with 6NH like my car was.
VO code: change 6NH to 6NS and you will get the following features.
Name:  BMW-MY-2015-bluetooth-6NH-vs-6NS.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  81.2 KB

3. Folding Mirrors with Fob and CA
A lot has been covered on this. So, just a few notes.
Closing mirror with Fob is disabled in NA cars for safety regulations since this is shared with closing windows and sunroof with fob. It has to be separately enabled. the delay between door lock and closing each of mirrors/windows/sunroof can be exclusively set. (i.e. everything can happen at once or there can be delays in between)

4. Seat-belt gong timer reduced to 1s

5. Video in motion activated

6. Main Disclaimer and Camera Disclaimers removed

Changes that have not been made yet, but looking into it

I will move these up as/if they are completed.

1. Changing timer on the seat-belt assistant (F32 Exclusive)

2. Unlock doors on engine turn-off

3. change BMW logo to M Performance
This has been a bit tricky so far as apparently it doesn't work after certain I-level. instead the logo changes to //M 550d. looks like I have the affected one. Note that using newer psdzdata in E-Sys will not matter. the car has to be updated/flashed with the newer version.
I am trying to find out if there is a way without having to flash the ECU.

4. Possibly Retrofitting SLI (Speed Limit Info)
There is a different way of doing this than what I want to do which is enabled by a module which will only show the information from the navi. However, I want to retrofit the reading signs as well (not sure if this is possible - maybe just difficult?)
To do this I need to first retrofit the hardware. I have the basic FLI camera which is good for HBA but not SLI or LDW (Lane departure warning). The camera which will enable the SLI or LDW is the KAFAS module. I think I need to replace my mirror unit with one that has the KAFAS camera (will this work?) If this is doable, then I will worry about the software issues. (give me thoughts on this)

So far, this is what I have. I will be adding to this later.

Cheers.

Last edited by skarimi; 02-25-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Sounds nice.
Im also interested to delete the disclaimer at Navi and Cam, can you toss me please the coding chapters, thank you.

A word to the planned retrofitting of sign assist: The additional module will display only the already saved signs from the Navi and not the true and actual signs on the street. You'll need the KAFAS2 on top and maybe another module box and some coding too. For me too expensive and not worth the effords, but go ahead and try it.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:29 AM   #3
skarimi
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Sounds nice.
Im also interested to delete the disclaimer at Navi and Cam, can you toss me please the coding chapters, thank you.

A word to the planned retrofitting of sign assist: The additional module will display only the already saved signs from the Navi and not the true and actual signs on the street. You'll need the KAFAS2 on top and maybe another module box and some coding too. For me too expensive and not worth the effords, but go ahead and try it.
For the main disclaimer you need to go to the HU_* ECU. (* could be NBT, CIC, etc.) then proceed to:
Section 3001 -> Function LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME -> change value from "ld_mit_timeout" to "kein_ld"

for camera disclaimer also same as above. the function is MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER

Thanks for the info on the retrofit. Is KAFAS2 a different camera? or is it a module box? I know that cars with HBA/SLI/LDW have a single camera that is capable of doing all these functions. Is retrofitting this camera alone not enough as far as hardware goes?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarimi View Post
4. Possibly Retrofitting SLI (Speed Limit Info)
There is a different way of doing this than what I want to do which is enabled by a module which will only show the information from the navi. However, I want to retrofit the reading signs as well (not sure if this is possible - maybe just difficult?)
To do this I need to first retrofit the hardware. I have the basic FLI camera which is good for HBA but not SLI or LDW (Lane departure warning). The camera which will enable the SLI or LDW is the KAFAS module. I think I need to replace my mirror unit with one that has the KAFAS camera (will this work?) If this is doable, then I will worry about the software issues. (give me thoughts on this)
Based on my research for a KAFAS retrofit (doesn't matter if you have an FLA camera already), you'll need the following:

KAFAS Camera
Rearview Mirror without FLA (since KAFAS would supersede it) - btw wouldn't mind taking that rearview mirror off you if you decide with it, was planning on doing a HBA retrofit
Windshield that supports the KAFAS Camera
KAFAS module (FLA Camera has the module integrated in the mirror, while KAFAS uses a separate module)
Some wiring (?)
Steering Wheel Vibration motor (if wanting to activate LDW)

For SLI to work, you'll need to obtain a FSC code on top of all that to activate that function. It actually seems quite difficult to obtain one, and even that it would be quite pricey as well.

Personally I am looking to retrofit KAFAS, but probably when I have the time to source all the parts, which will be quite a pain to do...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
For the main disclaimer you need to go to the HU_* ECU. (* could be NBT, CIC, etc.) then proceed to:
Section 3001 -> Function LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME -> change value from "ld_mit_timeout" to "kein_ld"

for camera disclaimer also same as above. the function is MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER

[...]Is KAFAS2 a different camera? or is it a module box?[...]
Thank you for the coding info

KAFAS2 is a module which is necessary and built into F32 like this here. I dont know exactly, if KAFAS with or w/o 2 are the same.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
skarimi
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
Based on my research for a KAFAS retrofit (doesn't matter if you have an FLA camera already), you'll need the following:

KAFAS Camera
Rearview Mirror without FLA (since KAFAS would supersede it) - btw wouldn't mind taking that rearview mirror off you if you decide with it, was planning on doing a HBA retrofit
Windshield that supports the KAFAS Camera
KAFAS module (FLA Camera has the module integrated in the mirror, while KAFAS uses a separate module)
Some wiring (?)
Steering Wheel Vibration motor (if wanting to activate LDW)

For SLI to work, you'll need to obtain a FSC code on top of all that to activate that function. It actually seems quite difficult to obtain one, and even that it would be quite pricey as well.

Personally I am looking to retrofit KAFAS, but probably when I have the time to source all the parts, which will be quite a pain to do...
Thanks for the details Timbits. I had found out that I need to get the FSC code which looks like only reliable source is BMW AG. So, I thought maybe I can get a KAFAS camera and pay for the FSC. However, you have some details which I had over looked, mainly, having to possibly change the windshield. That really brings the price up

I will look into the windshield thing more. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Afaik you need only to change the windshield if you got the grey stripe into the upper part of it. If you havent, then you're lucky and save money

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:

1. Enable Active High Beam Assistant
This has been covered in other forums. But since I had to gather information from different places, here is all the changes I did in one place.
VO code: remove 5AP and 8S4 from FA
change the speed to active and deactivate HBA (I used deactivate under 60kph and activate over 75kph)
There is also a highway mode which lengthens the stretch of hwy in front of you that is illuminated. this mode has an activate/deactivate speed as well. (I used deactivate under 90kph and activate over 105kph)
Do you have Bi-xenon or LED headlights? Removing 5AP with Bi-xenons will result in glaring other drivers. See here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=887200

and here: (warning...very long thread) http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=660719

Last edited by Beowulf65; 02-26-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Afaik you need only to change the windshield if you got the grey stripe into the upper part of it. If you havent, then you're lucky and save money
Unless you plan on mounting it somewhere other than the centre of the windshield, no clue how you can get away with it since the black tinting/outline for the rearview mirror cover is between the glass - no "window" for the area KAFAS would be mounted. Also keep in mind that KAFAS has a heating element in the windshield as well! They thought of everything!

No Cameras / FLA (HBA Only)

KAFAS/KAFAS2
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Did 6ns get u the office in I drive ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
skarimi
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Did 6ns get u the office in I drive ?
Yes it did!
      02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I dont know if its clever or more cheese to compare the F30 with the F32 but I found a German forum where someone stated, that if you got the camera already into the mirror holder and also high beam assist and the rain sensor...than it should "only" be a matter of the ECU and an additional FSC to activate the new feature. Dunno if thats true of if bimmer until that has made the way to improve the own car with gadgets more stony.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
skarimi
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r
I dont know if its clever or more cheese to compare the F30 with the F32 but I found a German forum where someone stated, that if you got the camera already into the mirror holder and also high beam assist and the rain sensor...than it should "only" be a matter of the ECU and an additional FSC to activate the new feature. Dunno if thats true of if bimmer until that has made the way to improve the own car with gadgets more stony.
I have read a few places that the FLA camera only has the ability to recognize light and there is no object recognition. now that being said, any camera is the same and the object recognition comes from a micro-controller. so in theory, it should be possible to add a controller to do the work of the KAFAS module. but I am not sure how in-line that is with what BMW does and therefore how the codes are going to translate in the ECU. theoretically doble I guess
      02-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Oh and keep in mind with 6NS, you can also retrofit the 2nd USB outlet in the glovebox as well!

Quote:
I have read a few places that the FLA camera only has the ability to recognize light and there is no object recognition. now that being said, any camera is the same and the object recognition comes from a micro-controller. so in theory, it should be possible to add a controller to do the work of the KAFAS module. but I am not sure how in-line that is with what BMW does and therefore how the codes are going to translate in the ECU. theoretically doble I guess
From the F30 Training Material:

"The FLA video camera is a simplified image sensor that can identify the color and intensity of light."

So I'm assuming due to the image sensor of the camera, it doesn't exactly detect objects but more tuned towards a glorified light sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #15
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Just compare the P/N from the KAFAS cam and the installed one, then you'll see if its a difference

Appreciate 0