F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Another day. Another gun. Another school. Texas
GetBMWParts

Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #463
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
I didn't get upset at Lups calling me new guy. I liked it. Since it is true. I am new and can accept that with conviction. But being new doesn't mean that you have less to offer...

Peace out

Mark H
Well of course it does. If you weren't new, you'd know that. See?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #464
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'01 Dinan Z3 3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
At this point I refer to the speck of dust passage. Wholly inappropriate. In fact, the person who quoted it reminded me of Willie from the poem Holy Willie's Prayer.
Peace out

Mark H
Truly amazing
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw1700.50

Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #465
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
are you shouting at me?
She's so cute when she's angry.

Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #466
Sassicaia
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
im not saying there isnt a school shooting issue, but your posts suggest it is due to gun laws.

What is the issue if this is not the point you were trying to make?

and the reference to CNN in an anti gun article, is that there is a clear bias where they are trying to point you in the direction that guns are the issue, nothing else. that is why the stats are put the way they are. to shock and scare the uninformed.
USA has 288 school shootings and next in line has 8. You tell me what the major underlying difference is between the countries that could be causing that if not easy access to guns?

all countries have the same access to violent movies, video games and shitty parents.

So you tell me. What is it? Are my numbers of 288 vs 8 wrong? Is there another report showing the US isnt number #1, or that #2 and #3 have numbers in the same ball park?

what am i missing?
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #467
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'01 Dinan Z3 3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
USA has 288 school shootings and next in line has 8. You tell me what the major underlying difference is between the countries that could be causing that if not easy access to guns?

all countries have the same access to violent movies, video games and shitty parents.

So you tell me. What is it? Are my numbers of 288 vs 8 wrong? Is there another report showing the US isnt number #1, or that #2 and #3 have numbers in the same ball park?

what am i missing?
You totally ignored that CNN's 288 number was totally bogus didn't you?

The definition: The parameters CNN followed in this count are -

•Shooting must involve at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
•Shooting must occur on school grounds
•We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence (but our count is NOT limited to those categories)
•We included grades Kindergarten through college/university level as well as vocational schools
•We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

http://freebeacon.com/issues/problem...hooting-count/

Their standard includes any incident where anyone was injured in any way anywhere on school grounds for any school from kindergarten to college.

It is similar to the standard created by gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety, which many media outlets have repeated. The main difference appears to be that CNN only counts incidents that result in some sort of injury to somebody other than the person who pulled the trigger.

It includes shootings where neither the shooter nor the victims were students or faculty at the school. It includes accidental shootings. It even includes an incident where one student was bruised after being shot with a BB gun.

If CNN's list of school shootings is limited to incidents where a student is either the victim or perpetrator of a shooting by an actual gun on school grounds, only 12* of the 22 incidents would qualify. Of those 12 incidents, 9 happened at K-12 schools and 3 happened at universities. Most of those 12 do not closely resemble the shootings in Santa Fe or Parkland. Most were targeted attacks on a single victim or did not result in serious injuries. Four of the 12 shootings resulted in fatalities, 3 resulted in multiple fatalities, and 2 (Santa Fe and Parkland) were mass shootings where more than 4 people were killed.

Researchers from Northeastern University revealed their finding in February that shootings at K-12 schools are not more common than they used to be and schools have become safer than they were in the 1990s.

"Since 1996, there have been 16 multiple victim shootings in schools, or incidents involving 4 or more victims and at least 2 deaths by firearms, excluding the assailant," the university said of the research. "Of these, 8 are mass shootings, or incidents involving 4 or more deaths, excluding the assailant."

The full Northeastern study will be published later this year but researchers have released their findings on the number of fatal school shootings and rate of students killed in those incidents.

They determined school shootings are rare events, especially when compared with other causes of death among school-aged children. "There is not an epidemic of school shootings," James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern, said of the findings.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"

Last edited by SakhirM4; Yesterday at 09:08 PM.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer7009.00
bbbbmw1700.50

Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #468
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Thank goodness for armed citizens.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tent=newsalert
Attached Images

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #469
maloo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm sure the 2 people that got shot are celebrating armed citizens.

The washington times is not the news.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #470
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
I'm sure the 2 people that got shot are celebrating armed citizens.

The washington times is not the news.
Read the feed from the actual police in Oklahoma City and stop your insane narrative. At least they're alive. The person who was hell-bent on killing others was stopped.

You should be celebrating, not moaning. But you keep doing you. It worked so well during the last election cycle.

https://twitter.com/OKCPD?ref_src=tw...tizen-fatal%2F

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM46470.00
jgoens3042.50

Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #471
irishbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5 CP

EVEN, if those stats were correct, the American public wants change in gun laws. That is the most important statistic of all; the people want change. You can help drive the bus, ride on the bus or rebel against the change that is sure to be coming.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #472
maloo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I love how multiple comments in the washington times are saying "you'll never see this story in the MSM." Apparently their readership hasn't discovered google search yet. Front page of CNN has the story with a big red "Breaking News" title. lol
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #473
Sassicaia
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You totally ignored that CNN's 288 number was totally bogus didn't you?

The definition: The parameters CNN followed in this count are -

•Shooting must involve at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
•Shooting must occur on school grounds
•We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence (but our count is NOT limited to those categories)
•We included grades Kindergarten through college/university level as well as vocational schools
•We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

http://freebeacon.com/issues/problem...hooting-count/

Their standard includes any incident where anyone was injured in any way anywhere on school grounds for any school from kindergarten to college.

It is similar to the standard created by gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety, which many media outlets have repeated. The main difference appears to be that CNN only counts incidents that result in some sort of injury to somebody other than the person who pulled the trigger.

It includes shootings where neither the shooter nor the victims were students or faculty at the school. It includes accidental shootings. It even includes an incident where one student was bruised after being shot with a BB gun.

If CNN's list of school shootings is limited to incidents where a student is either the victim or perpetrator of a shooting by an actual gun on school grounds, only 12* of the 22 incidents would qualify. Of those 12 incidents, 9 happened at K-12 schools and 3 happened at universities. Most of those 12 do not closely resemble the shootings in Santa Fe or Parkland. Most were targeted attacks on a single victim or did not result in serious injuries. Four of the 12 shootings resulted in fatalities, 3 resulted in multiple fatalities, and 2 (Santa Fe and Parkland) were mass shootings where more than 4 people were killed.

Researchers from Northeastern University revealed their finding in February that shootings at K-12 schools are not more common than they used to be and schools have become safer than they were in the 1990s.

"Since 1996, there have been 16 multiple victim shootings in schools, or incidents involving 4 or more victims and at least 2 deaths by firearms, excluding the assailant," the university said of the research. "Of these, 8 are mass shootings, or incidents involving 4 or more deaths, excluding the assailant."

The full Northeastern study will be published later this year but researchers have released their findings on the number of fatal school shootings and rate of students killed in those incidents.

They determined school shootings are rare events, especially when compared with other causes of death among school-aged children. "There is not an epidemic of school shootings," James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern, said of the findings.
I dont know why the number of deaths needs to be "4 or more". You are spinning the numbers. Further classfiying only the people who are shot or killed as being the only victims of a school shooting is narrow minded.

A child witnessing an event like that would suffer sever PTSD.

Is it not more reasonable to simply say anytime someone brings a gun to a school and kills someone it can be considered a fatal school shooting?

The number is 156 since 1996. There have been 22 since 2016 alone.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #474
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Does the school need to be open when it happens? Does gang activity that happens to occur at a school count? Jealous wife shoots cheating husband teacher? Suicide on grounds?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #475
irishbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5 CP

That's right and even one school shooting is too many..what are we thinking when we put our future (our children) at risk to preserve supposed 'rights" that lead to these murders repeatedly happening?
Appreciate 1
Rampant85.50

Today, 01:13 AM   #476
Rampant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 SMB M3; '09 gen1.5 997 T

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
That's right and even one school shooting is too many..what are we thinking when we put our future (our children) at risk to preserve supposed 'rights" that lead to these murders repeatedly happening?
This question will get stonewalled. Just as mine did.

They'll just argue semantics. Some shootings in school are apparently *acceptable*. Only when 4 or more die is it worthy of attention, and even then, if it turns out to be a "small number", then <shrug shoulders> that's fine.

They'll point out that an "armed citizen (good)" killed another "armed citizen (bad)" as a *good thing* and say that arming citizens works...

All while ignoring the fact that if there were tighter gun control measures, then the "armed citizen (bad)" might have been prevented from owning guns... Which would surely be the aim of gun control measures?

Guns are great because they are the potential fix when guns are bad... Make that the new gun lobby mantra.

Yours Aye

Mark H