F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Poll] Do you have rusty seat frame bases?
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Do you have rusty seat frame bases or hinges?
Yes, my seat frames are all red. 22 18.97%
Yes, but a few red spots. 44 37.93%
No, mine is clean. 32 27.59%
Don't want to look under the seats. 20 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

02-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #89
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
Are UK dealers replacing the parts free of charge/under warrenty?
I hope so, I wasn't told there would be a charge so assume it will be covered under warranty.

As BMW are putting together a kit to solve this problem I would take that as meaning they're acknowledging there is a problem and will be fixing it. I was told end of this month they should have the kits to do the work so we'll see soon enough!
      02-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #90
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
I hope so, I wasn't told there would be a charge so assume it will be covered under warranty.

As BMW are putting together a kit to solve this problem I would take that as meaning they're acknowledging there is a problem and will be fixing it. I was told end of this month they should have the kits to do the work so we'll see soon enough!
Silly mileage dude. How much is diesel per liter or gallon in the UK?
      02-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #91
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Silly mileage dude. How much is diesel per liter or gallon in the UK?
At my local garage where I fill up it's £1.449 per litre for normal diesel. I tend to put in the Super Diesel so it's £1.549 per litre. It usually costs me about £70-£75 to fill up the tank.
      02-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #92
m1kal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Bmw in monrovia was so rude upon discussing the rust. How do you guys go about this with he dealers?
      02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #93
jamie335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M sport 6MT

I just got the call that the parts are in. Dropping the car off in the morning and they said it should be ready by wednesday. Glad BMW made good on their word and are fixing the problem!
      02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #94
vigalent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 318D

Had my car in the dealership a couple if weeks ago for them to investigate the rust issue.

I was told BMW were announcing a fix in February, I'm awaiting my call.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #95
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

What is the latest build that has experienced the rusted seat problem? In other words, have they fixed it at the factory?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #96
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
What is the latest build that has experienced the rusted seat problem? In other words, have they fixed it at the factory?
Pre November 2012.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #97
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1kal View Post
Bmw in monrovia was so rude upon discussing the rust. How do you guys go about this with he dealers?
This is not good to hear. I went to Monrovia for my rusty seats. Had to wait to have BMWNA engineer examine the seats and he eventually told the dealer to order replacement frames for me. I've yet to hear back from them, although it hasn't been quite a month.

If Monrovia turns out to be a pain to deal with, I'll be visiting New Century in Alhambra.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #98
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
This is not good to hear. I went to Monrovia for my rusty seats. Had to wait to have BMWNA engineer examine the seats and he eventually told the dealer to order replacement frames for me. I've yet to hear back from them, although it hasn't been quite a month.

If Monrovia turns out to be a pain to deal with, I'll be visiting New Century in Alhambra.
Call BMW North America in NJ.
      02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #99
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Call BMW North America in NJ.
Yea...I originally did that before my dealer visit. Their story was 'we rely on our dealers to evaluate any reported issues...' And, I did ultimately have the BMWNA rep that came to the dealership 'approve' replacement seat frames...or so I was told by my SA. We'll see how this goes. But, as the other person who visited the same dealer said (Monrovia) it wasn't necessarily a welcoming experience when I raised my concern over finding rust on the interior of a brand new car. I had to challenge their "it's normal" claim with my own claim asking them to show me a non-F30 with the same rust. I'm still hopeful the dealer and BMWNA will do right by me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #100
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
Yea...I originally did that before my dealer visit. Their story was 'we rely on our dealers to evaluate any reported issues...' And, I did ultimately have the BMWNA rep that came to the dealership 'approve' replacement seat frames...or so I was told by my SA. We'll see how this goes. But, as the other person who visited the same dealer said (Monrovia) it wasn't necessarily a welcoming experience when I raised my concern over finding rust on the interior of a brand new car. I had to challenge their "it's normal" claim with my own claim asking them to show me a non-F30 with the same rust. I'm still hopeful the dealer and BMWNA will do right by me.
I actually started by sending a pretty strong email to BMW Headquarters in Munich who referred to BMWNA. BMWNA contacted me by phone to tell me seat pans were ordered on 1/3 for my dealer to install. They followed up a couple weeks later and I told them my dealer hadn't called me.

BMWNA contacted dealer who called me back and said parts were not in. It's been a month since ordered, so not sure how long this process will be.
      02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #101
m1kal
Private
United_States
Rep

The person at monrovia implied that it'll take forever.
      02-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #102
m1kal
Private
United_States
Rep

Dealers will never have a good rep with idiots like them working there. They have no respect to customers and are very rude. He tried blaming me for the problem. I was Gona be like bitch I have my research don't think I'm retarded. Fckin monrovia
      02-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #103
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep

For me, the main goal was to get "in the system" with my rusty seat issue. To have BMWNA instruct the dealer to replace my seat frames was a win for me. Realistically, that rust under the seat will take a loooong time to do any real damage, so I'm not in a hurry. And, because it's something that's out of sight, it doesn't constantly nag at me. However, it will be nice to get this resolved sooner or later. My bigger worry is using this dealership on an on going basis for my service needs. This is my first Bimmer so I'm starting from scratch on dealer experience. Finding competent, trustworthy and honest car care is extremely difficult. During the warranty period, I'll be using a BMW dealer for service and the jury is still out on this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #104
jamie335i
Private
Rep

picked up my car this morning. all the parts were replaced and i am very happy with the results. the tech told me that when they took the seats apart, there was rust everywhere. I suggest you stay on the dealer and BMWNA until they replace everything. BTW my memory settings were all still intact.
      02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #105
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie335i View Post
picked up my car this morning. all the parts were replaced and i am very happy with the results. the tech told me that when they took the seats apart, there was rust everywhere. I suggest you stay on the dealer and BMWNA until they replace everything. BTW my memory settings were all still intact.
Good to hear. My dealer has me scheduled for replacement next Monday morning.
      02-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #106
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
What parts were listed on receipt? I'm told BMW is only replacing the base pan. Did your dealer receive other parts? Which dealer did work? I'm also in So. FL.

I had a Sept build 328 loaner last week. I placed a small bag under the drivers seat when I parked car. Upon return I grabbed the bag and it had some rusty looking dust on it. I looked underneath and couldn't believe what I saw. Wow! The rust came right off on my hand when I touched it.

Lucky my November build does not suffer from same.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #107
jamie335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
What parts were listed on receipt? I'm told BMW is only replacing the base pan. Did your dealer receive other parts? Which dealer did work? I'm also in So. FL.

I had a Sept build 328 loaner last week. I placed a small bag under the drivers seat when I parked car. Upon return I grabbed the bag and it had some rusty looking dust on it. I looked underneath and couldn't believe what I saw. Wow! The rust came right off on my hand when I touched it.

Lucky my November build does not suffer from same.
The service write up says replace entire seat frame on both front seats and seat clips. Vista in Pompano did the replacement. It took them about 3-4 weeks from when I first showed them the parts and they had everything done in one day. If anyone goes over there, just have Frank write it up as he is already aware of the problem.
      02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #108
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The service write up says replace entire seat frame on both front seats and seat clips. Vista in Pompano did the replacement. It took them about 3-4 weeks from when I first showed them the parts and they had everything done in one day. If anyone goes over there, just have Frank write it up as he is already aware of the problem.
Frank's a nice guy and knowledgeable. Worked with him before. Your receipt should have a list of parts supplied by BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #109
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

My parts are in and I'm getting them installed next week. Although, I wonder what is really the problem with having rust on the seats. I don't think it affect anything mechanically.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #110
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
My parts are in and I'm getting them installed next week. Although, I wonder what is really the problem with having rust on the seats. I don't think it affect anything mechanically.
Probably not a huge issue if it doesn't spread and cover the entire panel. If it does, it will probably affect screws, etc. Worse is that the loose rust particles will get on the carpet and other stuff (like speakers) under seats and stain/corrode them.

That loaner car I had last week stained my hands when I reached under the seat. Not good!

Rust is nasty stuff!
Appreciate 0