F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why are dealers so difficult?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
trinipirate
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2020 330 MSport Xdrive

they want u to come crawling back to them after 4yrs to spend ur money when the car starts to cough.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
and that's why their "certified pre-owned" isn't wise...
Not true.. For instance, if we get 3 year old BMW in on trade and lets say it only has 12k miles on it but has only has 1 oil change, then BMW makes us pull the valve cover and do a much more thorough inspection to make sure there is no sludge before they give the green light to certify it..

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #25
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
This is why "free" maintenance sucks so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
"built into the MSRP" maintenance is more like it.
Yeah, that was the intent of the rhetorical quotes around the word "free".

Point is we'd be much better off if the car companies would deduct the built-in $$ and have us pay our own maintenance. I like the manager of the service department to know I won't be coming back if they don't deliver excellence.

The way it works now is like tipping the waitress before you order.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
Point is we'd be much better off if the car companies would deduct the built-in $$ and have us pay our own maintenance. I like the manager of the service department to know I won't be coming back if they don't deliver excellence.
In the UK we have to pay for a service contract. Same service schedule whether we pay up front, or pay as we go. Additional work, like more frequent oil service would be at our cost, which ever way we opt to go.

Personally can't see the issue, if for some reason we want interim services then we would need to pay, surely that is the way it should work. BMW will cover warranty on CBS schedule, so it would be our decision to opt for more servicing.

BTW, we work with mileage on CBS or 2-years for an oil service in Europe. Seems your US service schedule is in some way related to the US view that oil needs changing so frequently. We generally left that behind years ago when oil quality improved.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I paid $79.99 at mile 1500 to change out the original oil.

I'm purchasing the car...(over 6 years), so would like to keep it for 8 years total (average age I keep my cars when I purchase), so engine health is a priority for me.

But agreed, more of something I'd do to appease myself than anything else...engine oil has technologically advanced leaps and bounds...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

I should have prefaced this whole story by saying I've worked for Audi/Porsche, Honda, etc. so I know all about the bs rules of service depts...

Thanks for all the feedback, though some of you missed the points I was trying to make. I was trying to get across how BMW na needs to make it once a year so there is some wiggle room for instances such as this: spring purchase, fall storage w/oil change and prep, drive spring and summer and the. Oil change in fall...

I also was trying to point out that BMW is shooting itself in the foot by not letting me do the most for their vehicle... I'm also not convinced I won't buy the car out either, I love it, that's why I want to take care of it, plus I have a jeep for the winter.

Lastly, I wanted to note that a BMW service employee should never be advising customers not to care if it is a lease. That just creates problems in the long run for the dealer and customers

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30N55 View Post
You should be able to get a free oil change every 15k or once a year. Check with another dealer.
you only get the free oil change when the car says its ready. dealers are very strict with this.

Yeah. But god help you if the stupid CBS says you need brakes then the dealer will fight you and just reset the CBS claiming there is "plenty of meat on those babies"

What a crock of crap BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
I should have prefaced this whole story by saying I've worked for Audi/Porsche, Honda, etc. so I know all about the bs rules of service depts...

Thanks for all the feedback, though some of you missed the points I was trying to make. I was trying to get across how BMW na needs to make it once a year so there is some wiggle room for instances such as this: spring purchase, fall storage w/oil change and prep, drive spring and summer and the. Oil change in fall...

I also was trying to point out that BMW is shooting itself in the foot by not letting me do the most for their vehicle... I'm also not convinced I won't buy the car out either, I love it, that's why I want to take care of it, plus I have a jeep for the winter.

Lastly, I wanted to note that a BMW service employee should never be advising customers not to care if it is a lease. That just creates problems in the long run for the dealer and customers
We get it.

So long as they lock you in they can jerk you around...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #31
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Yeah. But god help you if the stupid CBS says you need brakes then the dealer will fight you and just reset the CBS claiming there is "plenty of meat on those babies"

What a crock of crap BMW.
+1
After driving my 1st 18,000 miles, the CBS stated I had 50K miles on front pads and 11,000 on the rear. Told the dealer about this and they reset my CBS. The front pads dropped from 50k to 21K while the rear pads increased from 11k to 18k. When stuff like that happens, how can you trust CBS for anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
If you want the oil changed, look for service specials on nearby dealers' websites, print the coupon and blow $90 on an oil change on your $50K car.
$57.95 Oil change- car wash JMK BMW.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
$57.95 Oil change- car wash JMK BMW.
cheers
vern
that is cheap. my dealer wanted $140.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
you only get the free oil change when the car says its ready. dealers are very strict with this.
I use two BMW dealers here in the NE and both told be the same thing. Every 15k accordingly to the computer, or once a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Times have changed with respect to oil changes. The motors are much tighter and much cleaner. There simply isn't as much of a need as there used to be back in the day when there was tons of blow by and tons of fuel vapor entering the crankcase. These are really the only reason oil needs to be changed to begin with. It doesn't really get "dirty". It gets diluted by fuel and the additive package wears over time. It just discolors from heating. In addition to cleaner motors, the synthetic oils themselves get better every day.

The algorithms and sensors used to extropolate the remaining life of the oil are pretty damn impressive. If the car says it doesn't need an oil change, it doesn't need an oil change. I don't fault BMWNA one bit for sticking by their policy. I think THEY know better than anyone what is and isn't good for their cars. If you want something done out of sequence, I don't see why you wouldn't feel you need to pay for it yourself.

Rules of thumb like changing every xxK miles or xx months are arbitrary. Depending on your driving habits and how tight your motor is, the requirements can and will vary widely. The worst thing that ever happened to automotive maintenance was Jiffy Lube's claim that oil needed to be changed every 3,000 miles. What a crock of BS. Pure marketing hyperbole.

From it's introduction, Mobil 1 has professed it could run out to about 10K miles before a change. I believe their newer long life lines indicate they can go 15k or better. If anything, this would be counterproductive on their part since they'd sell lots more oil if everyone changed every 5k miles.

The bottom line is that if you want to operate outside the rules it should be your dime. And while I don't necessarily agree with the fact that the SA shrugged it off because you're leasing, what he said is absolutely correct. You're renting the car. If you were driving a Ford Taurus you rented from Hertz, would you be compelled to have its oil changed followed by a nice detail? If you think you might want to buy it out, then do whatever you would as if you had bought it. But I think it's unreasonable to ask them to bend the rules to appease you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #36
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Times have changed with respect to oil changes. The motors are much tighter and much cleaner. There simply isn't as much of a need as there used to be back in the day when there was tons of blow by and tons of fuel vapor entering the crankcase. These are really the only reason oil needs to be changed to begin with. It doesn't really get "dirty". It gets diluted by fuel and the additive package wears over time. It just discolors from heating. In addition to cleaner motors, the synthetic oils themselves get better every day.

The algorithms and sensors used to extropolate the remaining life of the oil are pretty damn impressive. If the car says it doesn't need an oil change, it doesn't need an oil change. I don't fault BMWNA one bit for sticking by their policy. I think THEY know better than anyone what is and isn't good for their cars. If you want something done out of sequence, I don't see why you wouldn't feel you need to pay for it yourself.

Rules of thumb like changing every xxK miles or xx months are arbitrary. Depending on your driving habits and how tight your motor is, the requirements can and will vary widely. The worst thing that ever happened to automotive maintenance was Jiffy Lube's claim that oil needed to be changed every 3,000 miles. What a crock of BS. Pure marketing hyperbole.

From it's introduction, Mobil 1 has professed it could run out to about 10K miles before a change. I believe their newer long life lines indicate they can go 15k or better. If anything, this would be counterproductive on their part since they'd sell lots more oil if everyone changed every 5k miles.

The bottom line is that if you want to operate outside the rules it should be your dime. And while I don't necessarily agree with the fact that the SA shrugged it off because you're leasing, what he said is absolutely correct. You're renting the car. If you were driving a Ford Taurus you rented from Hertz, would you be compelled to have its oil changed followed by a nice detail? If you think you might want to buy it out, then do whatever you would as if you had bought it. But I think it's unreasonable to ask them to bend the rules to appease you.
I'm not asking to bend any rules. I'm asking for the once a year oil change I was promised when I bought the car. I want what I paid extra for, worry free maintenance not nit picky good for nothing service. I broke the motor in, went through multiple quarts of extra oil and now I have to pay for the oil changes, give me back the mark up you charge in the Msrp and I will gladly pay for my own services, but don't promise me service as a trick and then yank my chain around... If I pay for it now will they reimburse me when I don't change it within a year?! Or, more likely am I now responsible for all my oil changes because I can't get in a fall change schedule?

And to answer your question, yeah I would change the oil if necessary in a rental, I'm responsible And do what is expected, sorry for being the responsible citizen who wouldn't want the car to break down when you rent it after me... But hertz would thank me and pay for it, not give me shit...

I'm paying to do it this week and sending the receipt to BMW na in the spring as it was the once in a year change.

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
If you want the oil changed, look for service specials on nearby dealers' websites, print the coupon and blow $90 on an oil change on your $50K car.
Heck when I did my own oil changes on the M3 just oil and filter were close to $100, so I'd spend $90 on the 335i to have somebody else do it.
      11-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30N55 View Post
I use two BMW dealers here in the NE and both told be the same thing. Every 15k accordingly to the computer, or once a year.
Isn't this kind of detail provided in writing to the buyer??? Why would you have to ask a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #39
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I paid $80 at both 1500 and 3000. Now I will do it every 4-6k depending on how I am driving it. As has been stated a number of times, it is a $50k car. I run 93 octane too. Seems to me the neither cars nor oil have magically changed that much. And yes, I bought the car, if I leased I expect I would behave differently.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #40
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Though BMW NA sets the guidelines, the dealer service experience seems arbitrary. My dealer is great. They've taken me and my wife multiple times outside of the standard service guidelines, even without an appointment on two occasions, and never charged us a single cent. Now, I've never gone for an oil change without the car prompting, but my wife had her diesel exhaust fluid changed before it was scheduled twice, so I'm sure they would operate under the same principle for oil.
Appreciate 0