F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > New discussion on coding vs warranty
ARMA SPEED

04-25-2020, 04:18 AM   #23
Zerp
ex-Porsche Guy
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcdonald86 View Post

There is no difference between the regular Steptronic transmission, and the sport automatic transmission.

Afterwhile, I had noticed almost like a missing feeling with the transmission at times. So, I decided to take it in for service. They hooked it up, and told me that the car was throwing out errors, yelled at me up-and-down for the certain things that were going on.....
1- So you’re saying that when you pay extra for the sport package all they do is recode the ECU?
2- This seems like the sort of situation where they might void the warranty. Not saying it is justified, but if they did then legal action would be your only recourse. And I hear that lawyers don’t work for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #24
azengin
Ringmeister
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2019 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerp View Post
My question is what sort of record of changes can the dealership read? Is it possible that there is a log that records all changes to the ECU? If so, returning the car to factory VO coding would just be one step among many.

THAT BEING SAID, I’m using Bimmercode and have changed the seatbelt warnings, angel eyes, start/stop to OFF, shortened the time delay for mirror retraction, and several other such things. In order to return it to factory do I have to go into each module, look at the backups available to restore, pick oldest backup, and then restore them one by one?
I also wonder if there is such a log that enables them to see the changes done on car. Anyone has information about that?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #25
guigui92350
Private
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Ultimate

I just come back from the first maintenance on my F20 since I had buy it.
Dealer call me and tell me that my HU is dead they have to replace it.
I checked and just my HU has been resetted to original values so screen was black because the resolution was not correct. So I put back all values and this is OK.

Question :

- Would it happen during every maintenance ?

For me, even if the car is not coded, it is not normal because you lost all your settings : radio, smartphone coupling, tiles configuration, etc...
The update script should keep all user values and put it back at the end to keep user configuration (done with coding or not).

- How to explain to dealer that HU is not dead ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #26
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Knowing that the dealer would do a software 'update' and wipe out all my coding it hasn't been in his shop since a year before the end of my warranty period. I've even fixed a few warranty items myself just to keep him from messing with it. Now that I'm out of warranty if anything comes up that I can't handle I'll take it to an indy, not the dealer. As for your HU being 'dead', if it was you wouldn't have been able to drive the car to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #27
guigui92350
Private
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Knowing that the dealer would do a software 'update' and wipe out all my coding it hasn't been in his shop since a year before the end of my warranty period. I've even fixed a few warranty items myself just to keep him from messing with it. Now that I'm out of warranty if anything comes up that I can't handle I'll take it to an indy, not the dealer. As for your HU being 'dead', if it was you wouldn't have been able to drive the car to the dealer.
In fact, dealer want to change my HU under warranty, he think it is his fault. But if they change it they will problem is not about HU...
This is why it may be better to say the truth before they discover.
Appreciate 0