F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD Controls
Studio RSR

09-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Jtrevill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

HUD Controls

So I noticed that when attempting to make a phone call using the phone button on the steering wheel, if I roll the selection wheel, it scrolls through my redial list. Anyone know if you can make that scroll through favorites or even just the entire phone list?

In addition, I put music on the hard drive, but wasn't very impressed with the results, so I switched to an iPod in the center console. When I used the hard drive based music, I could use the selection wheel to go to different songs (however, only the next song alphabetically - which would then turn off random). However, with the iPod, when I use the selection wheel, it only shows the current song playing. My default screen is split with navigation and media. So, the only way I've found to skip songs is to use the physical right arrow button on the far right side of the stereo. Anyone else doing something different?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Latinnftl
Rep
Drives: MY 13 328i Mineral Grey

If you have the iPod in you can use the scroll wheel and it will play the next song on the album if you're listening to an album and not a play list.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Jtrevill
United_States
Rep

That's odd I don't get a song list when I scroll! I'll double check and ensure I'm not on a playlist, but I usually don't use playlists...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinnftl View Post
If you have the iPod in you can use the scroll wheel and it will play the next song on the album if you're listening to an album and not a play list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrevill View Post
That's odd I don't get a song list when I scroll! I'll double check and ensure I'm not on a playlist, but I usually don't use playlists...

Thanks!
Not sure what's going on with you two at all. Must be how you're navigating to songs in iDrive.

With my iPod Touch via the USB port I can use the scroll wheel to go through lists of songs no matter what I'm listening to (with one exception).

If you go to All Artists and then click on U2 and then choose a song, the scroll wheel will then show you all the other U2 songs on your iPod.

If you go to All Artists and then click on U2 and then choose an album, the scroll wheel will then show you all the other U2 songs on that album on your iPod.

Playlists, same thing, all the songs on a particular Playlist.

The exception to this is if you use iDrive to drill down to a specific song. Example:

All Artists > U2 > Song: Pride

In that example, iDrive thinks you are searching for something very specific and will only play that song. Will repeat it over and over again, too. Will give you no other song in the scroll wheel because you drilled to "Song" and not the "Artist" or "Album" level prior.

And jtrevil, make some Playlists. It's like an old mix tape for your car. All I listen to are iPod Playlists, in fact.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Jtrevill
United_States
Rep

Well today I setup a playlist and it works as expected. I was simply letting it play through all the songs, and wasn't getting the ability to scroll.

BJ - I showed my wife your post about the "old mix tapes" and we got such a laugh. We are definitely showing our age referring to them! Haven't heard that term in ages! But you definitely right, I have been putting together some playlists in preparation for a Vegas road trip prior to realizing it was the solution to my problem anyhow.

Thanks for the input...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I've been wondering about this myself. I'd tried to scroll through but nothing would happen.

I'll set up the playlist tonight and give it a go
      09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrevill View Post
Well today I setup a playlist and it works as expected. I was simply letting it play through all the songs, and wasn't getting the ability to scroll.

BJ - I showed my wife your post about the "old mix tapes" and we got such a laugh. We are definitely showing our age referring to them! Haven't heard that term in ages! But you definitely right, I have been putting together some playlists in preparation for a Vegas road trip prior to realizing it was the solution to my problem anyhow.

Thanks for the input...
Sweet! Glad I was able to help. Playlists are the most interesting feature in iTunes and its amazing how few people utilize them. Advise from a Playlist aficionado:

Create a Playlist called "High School Mix". Pick your 10 favorite groups. Pick the 5 best songs from each. Drag them into the Playlist folder. Hit Shuffle. Wham, you've now got your 50 favorite tracks from high school, shuffling away randomly for the next 4 hours.

"College Mix", "Best Of The Beatles", "Dance Tracks", "Summer 1982" you get the idea.

BJ
Appreciate 0