F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW F30 3 Series Coding DIY - Code Auto Start Stop, DVD, Folding Mirrors, Etc.
GetBMWParts

01-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #2201
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Thank you all. Especially Shawn and Andy for the new 3.22.5 patch and token. Worked perfectly on the latest 505 iLevel on my F30 335i with 48.3 data.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #2202
Brian55
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15, i4 coming soon, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
What's the error text for C060? I've only seen that when reading the FA, not any of the ECUs.

Make sure you connecting via the VIN.

Are you able to read the FA?

Does "Read (VCM)" succeed?

The issues with 48.3 were 1) having trouble connecting to the car, and 2) Coding the FDL. I never had an issue reading the ECUs with 48.3. That's all moot as you are using 48.1.

What is your I-Step version? That will tell you what version your car has.

'Read FA Failed! Possibly there is no FA stored in the VCM [C060]'

I think that was after a Read (VCM) attempt. This error and several others that didn't display a dialog are all over the log file. The errors all seem about not connecting properly. E-sys seemed to start well (connected via VIN), and I got the success dialog after it connected to the car, but I couldn't go any further than that. Same error when trying to read the I-step, so I can't find that.

It feels like I need to try again with the latest software and token?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #2203
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian55 View Post
'Read FA Failed! Possibly there is no FA stored in the VCM [C060]'

I think that was after a Read (VCM) attempt. This error and several others that didn't display a dialog are all over the log file. The errors all seem about not connecting properly. E-sys seemed to start well (connected via VIN), and I got the success dialog after it connected to the car, but I couldn't go any further than that. Same error when trying to read the I-step, so I can't find that.

It feels like I need to try again with the latest software and token?
If you were getting these using 48.3, then I'd say that's the issue, but I don't know why you can't read the VCM with 48.1. Maybe Shawn can help here.

Are you able to read the FA without error? I'm pretty sure you have to do that before trying to read the VCM.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #2204
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
If you were getting these using 48.3, then I'd say that's the issue, but I don't know why you can't read the VCM with 48.1. Maybe Shawn can help here.

Are you able to read the FA without error? I'm pretty sure you have to do that before trying to read the VCM.
with esys 3.18.4 & psdzdata 48.3, we can read FA, read coding data etc ok, only get error when we try to code fdl.

so no, the problem are not related to 48.3 when he can't even read... seems serious...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #2205
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
I have the 48.1 data set, and just tried to connect for the first time to my F30 that arrived a couple of weeks ago. The software connects to the car, but I can't read any modules- I get a C060 error. Is this a symptom of the 48.3 and new token issue, or is there something else I should check? I get the same error when trying to read the I-step level, so I don't know how to check that.
Usually when I see the [C060] error, it is related to the not having Windows regional settings set for English.

Since you are in Ottawa, are your Windows regional settings English or French?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #2206
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

can we add BT audio to F30 without Nav? or other coding in SFO bay area?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2207
dj1
dj1
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Good stuff

Thanks for the update. Great news for people that are new at this; like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Well I received my cable today and did some coding already. If you're interested in coding yourself, read on

This DIY is intended for F-series BMW's alone. I'm sorry but I just received word the E-series work in a complete different way that the F-series. The E-series us INPA and NCS Expert to do their coding. This requires a different cable as well. The E-series needs to communicate with a CAN network, where as we are talking across a TCP/IP enabled network with the F-series. For the E-series, please see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145 and in particular, this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=15

What you need
- An ENET cable.
- E-Sys program, datafiles, token and PIN
- A laptop (a PC would work too but it wouldn't be comfortable in most cases lol)

Now, you could go overboard and get a power supply cable for constant supply to your car but if you minimize your coding sessions to 30 minutes and have your car running for at least 15 minutes in between, it should go a long way. Also, it's advisable to do the browsing in the code offline and only do the coding while being in your car (more about this later on).

ENET Cable
There are basically two ways to get the ENET cable. You can buy a complete cable, or you can simply build one.

If you are not interested in building one and want to spend a little bit more money to get a working cable, then this is a site that has been confirmed working by some of our F10 friends: http://codecard.lt/electronics/tools.../prod_651.html ..I wouldn't recommend other sites, although they may work, problem is that they have not been confirmed working yet.

-> You can also buy a cable from ImSW1, a fellow coder and he's also the one from who I, indirectly, received my own cable. His cables are great. He builds and ships them for $25 USD. Usually, after he receives payment, he can have the cable ship the next day and arrive with you only two days later (that's for the 48 contiguous states, Alaska and Hawaii might take a few days longer due to the distance (cost stays the same due to it being shipped flat rate with USPS)).

The other way is to build a cable yourself. Cost for this would probably range anywhere between 10 to 20 bucks. You will need to solder a bit but it's nothing too serious if you follow the instructions to the letter.

To build your own cable, you will need the following:

- OBD2 or OBDII connector
- RJ-45 cable and connector
- 510 ohm .25 watt resistor

The schematics of the official BMW cable can be found below in the attachments and how to solder your cable can be seen in the photos directly below (thanks to Sean [ImSW1]).

Attachment 698264

Attachment 698273Attachment 698274Attachment 698267Attachment 698268

An even more comprehensive DIY for the ENET cable can now also be found in the attachments: http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1339310785

If you cannot find the OBD2 connector, please look on ebay. A lot of the connectors are being sold there.

E-Sys program, datafiles and such
I currently work with E-Sys v3.18.4 in combination with the v46.3 datafiles, which work like a charm for me. I have read reports about newer builds but also read about a lot of install problems and such with those builds so it seems best to stick with these for now.

You can find the link to E-Sys in this text file:
*** Link removed, see below ***

For the datafiles, please download this text file for all links (24 in total):
*** Link removed, see below ***

Little advice regarding the datafiles: It is over 10GB in total and rapidshare is VERY slow. Unless you like to spend hours and hours to download it all, I recommend buying a one-time PRO account for 10 bucks. Most of the people (including me) did this and it makes a LOT of different (up 3 hrs versus 10 minutes per file).

For installation on how to install these files, please the attached PDF file called "E-Sys Installation.pdf"

Programming Versions vs. Vehicle Data Status
Here is a worksheet that covers what data set (psdzdata) lines up with what chassis code (for example, the F30 lines up with the F020 datasets).

Getting Started
Please see the 'E-Sys - Getting Started' PDF files below at the attached files to get started with coding. These are the same files I used the first time to code and should be self explanatory, just follow everything like they state there and you'll be ok (of course, where they talk about the F10/F010, please change that into F30/F020 respectively).

Mac Users: Download the E-Sys - MacOSX installation and configuration.pdf file below.

Making a Back Up
It's quite easy to make a backup of the CAF files from your car. Basically, as soon as you start reading the CAF files from your car, the E-Sys program automatically stores the files into "C:\ESysData\CAF". All you basically need to do is to copy these files and store them somewhere safe. The best is to make a new copy (and keep the old!) every time you want to code, this way you always have a copy of the last working version (just in case you break something lol).

Here are the instructions that were given to me the first time around:

Once you have done the above, simply copy those .ncd files and store them somewhere safe.

Cheat Sheet
You can download the F30 cheat sheet with things I have done so far below at the attached files. The cheat sheet is called "F30_Cheat_Sheet_XXXXXXXX.pdf", where the X's are is basically the date I updated the cheat sheet (year,month,day).

Please also see a more complete cheat sheet for the F10 below at the attached files to get a general idea of it all.

Please note that the F10 coding is slightly off from the F30, meaning some of the functions are named different or located in different named modules and, of course, some things are not available to the F30 (such as the automated trunk closing). Just use the F10 cheat sheet for the F30 to get an idea, to see what might be possible and such.

The rest...
These things have been coded and confirmed working by me so far:

- Video in Motion
- Turned the Seatbelt Gong off
- Side View Cameras on at all speeds
- Change DVD region code
- Remove disclaimer
- Remove PDC + cam disclaimer
- Tire pressure + temperature in TPMS
- Mirrors close by pressing doorknob (comfort access only)
- Mirrors open automatically when closed with comfort access
- Disable A.S.S. by default (can still be enabled but starts with setting 'off')
- Remember last setting of A.S.S. (works only when not disabled by default)
- Change ringtones
- More to come (or already there, check the cheat sheet!)

Little note: after coding someone else's F30 tonight (6/7/12), I noticed that some of the modules might have a slightly different name. The functions were still named the same, just the module name was a little bit off.

Even more...
I added some more files that I just picked up elsewhere that might be of help:

- E-Sys Editors and Viewers.pdf (this will help with backing up, restoring and reading the CAF files).
- E-Sys_Coding - VCM_UserManual_v1.4.PDF An E-Sys usermanual. It's a bit dated but still pretty good for overall use

Anyways, bottom line is that the coding for the F series works. Instead of paying 155-170 USD for Video in Motion, it only cost me the cost for a cable (which you can make yourself, the cost for that could be anywhere from 7-20 dollar).

(For those living in Hawaii who need help coding their F10 or F30, or help with the install, just send me a PM and perhaps I can help you out (I wont charge but you will have to come to me, and everything I do is done at your own risk, of course.)).

Disclaimer: coding is pretty simple to do, but it's also very simple to brick your car if you make mistakes or by other unexpected circumstances.. everything you do on your car with coding, like with everything else, is all done at your own risk. Also please keep in mind that I am doing this for educational purposes only and that I am not making any money out of it.

Credit and thanks goes out to Shawn, Andy, Sean and DreamCar. They have helped me in many ways to get this far! Without them, I wouldn't be able to show you guys all this

I'm sorry guys, due to some recent developments I figured it would be safer to remove the actual links to both e-sys and the datafiles from this post.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #2208
dj1
dj1
United_States
Rep

news

all good things come to a end

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Well, bad news folks.

I am told that new security was added to the 48.3 F20 PSdZData related to E-Sys and the Token validity, which is causing both the inability to save FDL Changes and in some cases the inability to even connect to F20 / F30 cars.

So, a new updated Patch / Token is needed to use the new 48.3 PSdZData. That said, I do not think we will see again a "Free" token like the Code Away.EST was made, so get used to the idea of having to pay something (annually) going forward for an E-Sys Patch / Token.

If anyone is interested in buying a new updated Patch / Token, PM me. I have a source, and the cost for one version of E-Sys (e.g. E-Sys 3.22.5) with Patch / EST Token Valid for 1 Year from issue date is 50 Euro / $65 USD.

Oddly, F10 does not seem affected yet, but I assume it is coming.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2209
dj1
dj1
United_States
Rep

delays

any delays or surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
i can confirm e-sys 3.18.4 + psdzdata 48.3 + newly purchased token with patch works on my F20
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2210
dj1
dj1
United_States
Rep

PM

please pm me about token. thanks

Quote:
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #2211
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep

Setup: I have E-Sys 3.22.5 with the latest patch and my own paid for token and using them on MY2012 335i F30 with the latest iLevel and 48.3 Data Files.

Successfully coded:
- turned off orange side markers
- turned on rear DRL
- M Performance logo
- Unlock all doors at engine off
- digital speed in the BC
- Turned off all disclaimers
- DVD in motion
- Weatherband radio
- Fog lights come on at unlock with welcome lights
- Trip import for navigation
- 2nd handsfree phone connect to bluetooth
- Auto-Stop-Start remembers last setting

Tried but confused:
- I did a VO coding of the FA to change 6NH to 6NK hoping that would give me Microsoft Office functions and white apple USB cable for my iPhone 5 etc. I don't see anything different in the menus and the white apple cable doesn't seem to work when connected to either of the 2 usb ports in the car (it charges only, no music, album art etc.) Where can I check in the Menu iDrive to see if this change worked?

- I also noticed today that it is -7.5 degrees Celsius outside and the Auto-Stop-Start is still shutting the car off at lights. I find that unusual as it's freezing outside and in the past I can't recall car shutting off when outside temperature was below 0 degrees Celsius. Am I just being paranoid?

Problem:
- Coding was done yesterday and I drove the car for the first time today and got a check engine light that won't seem to go away. Any suggestions as to why that check engine light would be on based on the coding I did above?
- How do I check what the check engine light is on for? Where can I see the code that it is giving?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by RASHID007; 01-21-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #2212
Brian55
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15, i4 coming soon, 911

Quote:
Usually when I see the [C060] error, it is related to the not having Windows regional settings set for English.

Since you are in Ottawa, are your Windows regional settings English or French?
regional settings are English, USA. I tried again and the same error conditions repeat. I get the initial happy 'Connection established [G168]' pop up, and then I hit the Read button in the VO section. Some delay, and 2 error messages pop up in return- C060 followed by C096. The header is read Psdz error, with the 'read FA failed' note. C096 talks about the Backup Partner, whatever that is. C060 talks about no FA stored in the VCM. I'm now thinking something might be wrong with my Psdz data files?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #2213
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
regional settings are English, USA. I tried again and the same error conditions repeat. I get the initial happy 'Connection established [G168]' pop up, and then I hit the Read button in the VO section. Some delay, and 2 error messages pop up in return- C060 followed by C096. The header is read Psdz error, with the 'read FA failed' note. C096 talks about the Backup Partner, whatever that is. C060 talks about no FA stored in the VCM. I'm now thinking something might be wrong with my Psdz data files?
A good idea to reinstall esys as well as getting a fresh psdzdata to put em in place
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #2214
DXL XLR8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

does anyone know how to code out an drl error? Also is it possible to code so the drl stays on even when the low beam kicks in?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #2215
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXL XLR8 View Post
does anyone know how to code out an drl error? Also is it possible to code so the drl stays on even when the low beam kicks in?
how did you code it?

Have you tried VO code in option 522 for XENON_LIGHT, default settings for DRL is on even when low beam kicks in albeit slightly dimmer...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #2216
DXL XLR8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
how did you code it?

Have you tried VO code in option 522 for XENON_LIGHT, default settings for DRL is on even when low beam kicks in albeit slightly dimmer...
oh sorry i have the halogen headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #2217
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok all, complete success thank you.

1. shawnsheridan's instructions here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=94) cleared the check engine light. Thank you!

2. I had made a mistake in programming 6NH to 6NK. Edited the FA (VO) by replacing 6NH to 6NK but did not 'Code' the VO for the Head Unit (HU_CIC or HU_NBT) to finalize it. Instructions from shawnsheridan here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1729

Now white Apple cable works, album art work, bluetooth audio etc.

Very happy and appreciative. Happy to try and answer questions and help others.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #2218
annikour
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

I hate having to do the correction in my head all the time, to figure out my true speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #2219
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Has anybody successfully coded to enable satellite radio? I get that you still have to pay for the service from Sirius, I just need the option to show up on my iDrive

Is it as "simple" as coding the FA (VO) to delete 693 and add 655?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #2220
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
S
Successfully coded:
- turned off orange side markers
- turned on rear DRL
- M Performance logo
- Unlock all doors at engine off
- digital speed in the BC
- Turned off all disclaimers
- DVD in motion
- Weatherband radio
- Fog lights come on at unlock with welcome lights
- Trip import for navigation
- 2nd handsfree phone connect to bluetooth
- Auto-Stop-Start remembers last setting
Huh, Did I miss this? Can you tell me more, maybe take a pic?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2221
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Huh, Did I miss this? Can you tell me more, maybe take a pic?
it also appears in HUD.. its in cheat sheet version 3
Attached Images

01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2222
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
it also appears in HUD.. its in cheat sheet version 3
Only for Tech/Premium package cars and not for the base cluster/6.5" screen I assume?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0