F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW F30 3 Series Coding DIY - Code Auto Start Stop, DVD, Folding Mirrors, Etc.
Studio RSR

02-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #2465
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelfreak0410 View Post
This is what I am going to do, to activate bluetooth streaming and cover art. Can someone check if it is right?

Expert Mode -> Coding -> Read FA -> Calculate FP -> SALAPA-element -> Delete 6NH -> Add 6NK -> Calculate FP again -> Save new FA -> Expert Mode -> VCM -> Load saved FA file -> Calculate FP again -> VCM Master -> Write FA FP -> Read FA FP VIN to verfiy that changes are saved
Yes, then vcm read vcm > right click on cmb_media and select code (select the cmb_media, not the cafd file when you're doing fdl coding). Do the same for hu_cic. And you're all set to test the new function.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #2466
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykau View Post
Noticed two things have happened after i have turned on MACRO_PIM. I will still need to perform a thorough check

1. BMW_LIVE is not working
2. Office menu appeared
Every time u touch hu_cic bmw live will stop working. Leave it alone a couple of hour it should be back normal

Thanks for being guinea pig for office (I did say its not verified)

Let me know if u can see office and picture in your Bluetooth settings, if not, can u send me your cmb_medi caf file and I'll check what else need to turn on. I believe by now all is working. Just need to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #2467
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Hi bro, thanks..Assume i willing to pay for FSC code, how to go about it?
Coding wise, it's just VO code in 6nr (cmb_media and hu_cic). But will need Shawn advice on how to import in the fsc code using esys, never done before as I don't see the need to have this yet.

The above will get you all feature of bmw apps minus iPod video, if you want this then you'll have to add/solder a cable from your armrest USB port to the cic headUnit. Shawn did suggest using USB from Mini (the car) to retrofit as an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #2468
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by also1412 View Post
hello kon, awhk, clarence (and shawn if you want to get into the mix),

got swamped recently and finally came back to the coding community. surprised that so many things have changed, you know what i mean about the new security and token stuff.

up to day, the top thing on my wish list is till enabling asian language support - like you guys and i believe many other people have been trying so hard to achieve. My F30 is a UK spec built in Mar 2012 but for media I use Simplified Chinese as primary language (you can't blame my musical taste) and I have long fed up with the squares and question marks, also they show up on the contacts and messages too.

After some researching and coding myself, my opinion about this is still bound to the locale settings, i.e. region or country settings somewhere. I understand that kon mentioned about the missing chinese font, my argument on this is on a software architecture point of view (my day job is this) it makes no sense not to enable utf8 support and include the relevant font in the system, as otherwise bmw will end up maintaining many code basis and releases branches for this system which will be an absolute pain in the ass for bmw themselves. if they deliberately want to disable asian language support for europen config cars (which again makes no sense, this is one globe why couldn't they think about it - there must be asian language users anywhere) they would do it on a "configurable" way, pretty much like the idea of VO codes.

There is a proof about this theory. If you have 6NR and can use BMW Apps on your iPhone, try download and use AUPEO! and listen to a chinese pop station. Surprisingly you will notice all of a sudden your CIC displays Chinese Traditional!! (see pic). If CIC doesn't have the font this wouldn't happen.

For the reason why this AUPEO! app could somehow invoke chinese display I have no idea, but we can see that it is not impossible.

As I have not been rolling my sleeves and doing coding for a while now, my next attempt is to try removing country code and see if there is any luck on a UK f30. I will report back.

The intention of this post is just to bring this discussion back, as I believe once this is working it will help a lot of people, including myself.

Any suggestion welcome. TIA!
The NBT idrive do allow u to display Asian fonts, it's only the CIC idrive which doesn't allow u to display chi. That is unless u have the specific CIC for PRC/TW/HK/MAC. In the ETK it appears as a unique part number & from the ETK price it costs 2x the price of EU/USA CIC.
As for 6NR, it may be due to video function of 6NR. So if ur ifone supports chi then it'll display it as video inputted from the ifone. Someone has to try 6NR w/o vdo function to see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #2469
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
i moved here from elsewhere...
You are a glutton for punishment....

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #2470
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi bro, thanks..Assume i willing to pay for FSC code, how to go about it?
I have PM'd you the source where I bought mine from since no U.S. Dealer would sell me one.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #2471
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I am going to do, to activate bluetooth streaming and cover art. Can someone check if it is right?

Expert Mode -> Coding -> Read FA -> Calculate FP -> SALAPA-element -> Delete 6NH -> Add 6NK -> Calculate FP again -> Save new FA -> Expert Mode -> VCM -> Load saved FA file -> Calculate FP again -> VCM Master -> Write FA FP -> Read FA FP VIN to verfiy that changes are saved
It wont hurt anything, but you don't need the first Calculate FP.

Also, it is easier to just edit your existing 6NH, and change the H to a K. Make sure you hit the Ctrl-Enter afterwards to save the SALAPA-Elements before you calculate FP:

...-> Change 6NH to 6NK -> Ctrl-Enter -> Calculate FP -> Save new FA

Writing the modified VO to the car is not necessary, but up to you. You can just load it, and activate it after changing it, and then use it to VO Code.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #2472
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How long does it take to save the data? Fdl changes took about few sec till 1 min aprox.
I am afraid to break sth. Do you think its simple and I can easy go back if it fails?
Yes, it is simple. If it fails, revert back to factory VO, and then VO Code the ECU's again with unmodified VO.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #2473
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Read fa> read vcm > right click the top of the ecu/svt and select read coding data. All caf file will be written to your esysdata/caf folder. You can use fdl editor to open these later

Unfortunately I haven't tried pushing saved files to the car later, maybe Shawn or anyone else who have successfully did this can chip in. Logically, every time u read coding data new caf file is written. If you can somehow overwrite this file after its read, then code. It should work
Yes, it is possible. Edit all the ECU's you like, save the changes, then connect back to the car and use the New => FDL for each ECU and inject the FDL into it.

However, personally I don't do this. I like to be connected to the car, and code one ECU at a time, and write it to the car, and make sure everything is working as expected before moving onto the next ECU. With the E-Sys search box, and my cheat sheet, I can copy and paste and make multiple ECU FDL changes in only a couple minutes, so I don't mind sitting in the car to do it.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #2474
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Coding wise, it's just VO code in 6nr (cmb_media and hu_cic). But will need Shawn advice on how to import in the fsc code using esys, never done before as I don't see the need to have this yet.

The above will get you all feature of bmw apps minus iPod video, if you want this then you'll have to add/solder a cable from your armrest USB port to the cic headUnit. Shawn did suggest using USB from Mini (the car) to retrofit as an alternative.
I have PM'd him a source for the FSC Code. They will for an extra charge also Import and Activate the FSC Code in HU_CIC. There are special tools for doing this, although E-Sys can be used, it requires a Certificate be installed in E-Sys.

If you Import and Activate the 6NR FSC Code, you must in this case also make sure 6NR and 6NF are written to the car's VO. If not, Dealer Programming will terminate the FSC Code with extreme prejudice, and recovering it may be impossible.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #2475
pixelfreak0410
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered: M440i Convertible RWD

Successfully coded from 6nh to 6nk

- Cover Art ist working
- Office menu came out of the box (Basically I am not sure if I was there before...)
- Bluetooth (Audio) menu appeared

Can not test audio streaming and office functions because my smartphone (Galaxy S) seems not to be compatible with MAP Protocol. It recognizes my phone only for contacts and not for streaming. Office menü also only shows contacts no sms or email. Do you know an up 2 date smartphone which supports all these functions?

Or is there another setting neccessary to activate sms / email display in office menu?

I also coded the tyre pressure display, but I doesn't seem to work on a f20. The display is exactly the same as before. Only green wheels are shown on the graphic, but no data.

What is the ring tone setting about in cmb media? I can choose between 3 ring tones. How do they sound? Does any body have mp3 files of them before I cange the setting?

Last edited by pixelfreak0410; 02-03-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #2476
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

- Cover Art ist working
- Office menu came out of the box (Basically I am not sure if I was there before...)

Can not test audio streaming and office functions because my smartphone (Galaxy S) seems not to be compatible with MAP Protocol. It recognizes my phone only for contacts and not for streaming. Office menü also only shows contacts no sms or email. Do you know an up 2 date smartphone which supports all these functions?

Or is there another setting neccessary to activate sms / email display in office menu?

I also coded the tyre pressure display, but I doesn't seem to work on a f20. The display is exactly the same as before. Only green wheels are shown on the graphic, but no data.

What is the ring tone setting about in cmb media? I can choose between 3 ring tones. How do they sound? Does any body have mp3 files of them before I cange the setting?
Office uses MAP, but BT Audio Streming uses A2DP, which your Droid phone should support.

For TPMS, I assume you at least have the dashes now appearing. You need to reset the TPMS System from iDrive, and then drive it a couple miles before the Pressure and Temp values appear.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #2477
pixelfreak0410
Private
Rep

Ok, I had to re-pair my phone to activate audio streaming. works fine now But my old galaxy is not capable of sending title information while streaming ... I think this will work with a newer phone.

The latest IOS6 should support MAP? I think I will try to pair an iphone 5 to see if the sms and email options will work on office menu. currently there are only contacts listed.

What will happen when I flash the latest bluetooth update from bmw.com/bluetooth ? Do I have to code some FDL again?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2478
f302012sold
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The NBT idrive do allow u to display Asian fonts, it's only the CIC idrive which doesn't allow u to display chi. That is unless u have the specific CIC for PRC/TW/HK/MAC. In the ETK it appears as a unique part number & from the ETK price it costs 2x the price of EU/USA CIC.
As for 6NR, it may be due to video function of 6NR. So if ur ifone supports chi then it'll display it as video inputted from the ifone. Someone has to try 6NR w/o vdo function to see if it works.
Yep I saw some screenshots of NBT unit and it is much cooler.

I am still not convinced that the software builds of CIC differ from Asian countries to the EU/US ones. I reckon the price difference should be down to software licensing and/or country specific tax etc. It would be mind-numbingly stupid if BMW actually release 2 branches of CIC builds JUST because of the locale.

I am doubting Aupeo! knows this problem and deliberately tweak the encoding of those characters to make them display correctly on the CIC - so my guess is for our EU/US spec CIC the system uses ANSI or ISO as character encoding rather than utf8. but further tests are needed to verify these theories.

I am getting frustrating about this as it is deemed to be a very very basic functionality and since in the NBT it does support CJK, BMW certainly has realised that the necessity of this.

Finally @kon, you mentioned about removing country controller in FA and set the country flag to Hongkong sometime ago. Could you please kindly shed some light about how this could be done? After you have performed this what happened? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #2479
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Hi guys.

Can anybody help me with steps or url to a DIY for coding the head unit from 6 speaker base sound to hifi sound? Will this give me balanced line level outputs?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #2480
pixelfreak0410
Private
Rep

I found CMB Media 3003 Video_Player_Ein_Aus did someone tested this option and know what it does?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #2481
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I have PM'd you the source where I bought mine from since no U.S. Dealer would sell me one.
I of course bought the sat fsc code and still have nothing to show for it since the coding session on Saturday, the shop had no experiences with such a code.

It would be amazing if someone could do a write up of a step by step of how to activate once the fsc code has been purchased.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2482
ykau
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

Quote:
Every time u touch hu_cic bmw live will stop working. Leave it alone a couple of hour it should be back normal

Thanks for being guinea pig for office (I did say its not verified)

Let me know if u can see office and picture in your Bluetooth settings, if not, can u send me your cmb_medi caf file and I'll check what else need to turn on. I believe by now all is working. Just need to confirm.
hi kon, thanks! I can see office and picture in my picture in my bluetooth setting. but quite meaningless, i'm sorry for being greedy in looking for facebook and email functions as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #2483
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
You are a glutton for punishment....
It's only the car price that is ridiculous, everything else is fine
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #2484
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
It wont hurt anything, but you don't need the first Calculate FP.

Also, it is easier to just edit your existing 6NH, and change the H to a K. Make sure you hit the Ctrl-Enter afterwards to save the SALAPA-Elements before you calculate FP:

...-> Change 6NH to 6NK -> Ctrl-Enter -> Calculate FP -> Save new FA

Writing the modified VO to the car is not necessary, but up to you. You can just load it, and activate it after changing it, and then use it to VO Code.
So you're saying write FA to vehicle can be skipped, after editing the file and calculating the FP (to make sure there is no error), we can load the new FA file, and VO code directly?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #2485
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I have PM'd him a source for the FSC Code. They will for an extra charge also Import and Activate the FSC Code in HU_CIC. There are special tools for doing this, although E-Sys can be used, it requires a Certificate be installed in E-Sys.

If you Import and Activate the 6NR FSC Code, you must in this case also make sure 6NR and 6NF are written to the car's VO. If not, Dealer Programming will terminate the FSC Code with extreme prejudice, and recovering it may be impossible.
I HEARD of one case (unverified) that someone just pay the local dealer to get the FSC code and also pay for "programming" time and use their terminal to code the vehicle without the dealer touching his car
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #2486
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:

- Cover Art ist working

How diffiicult was it to change 6NH to 6NK?

Message menu in Office will only appear if you pair a compatible phone (with MAP support), you might want to check if your phone MAP options is activated.

Tyre pressure, do you have option 2VB? If not, it will never appear as your vehicle lack the sensor & receiver to actually show you anything. You can check 2VB in your VO list or physically check your tyre stem valve whether it's metal or rubber, if rubber means no 2VB.
Appreciate 0