F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 40 Degrees Fahrenheit average temperature issues
proTUNING Freaks

09-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

40 Degrees Fahrenheit average temperature issues

Folk,

All year I've been assuming I would buy a set of actual Winter tires to go on my spare 397 18's during the winter (instead of my summer tires and 403 19's that the car came with). Thinking back over the last few winters here in silly Portland, the fact is that there hasn't been that much of the winter where it wasn't in the high 30's or low 40's. I don't really want to risk keeping my summer tires on (I don't want to destroy them driving when it's too cold, and I also don't want to drive on them during the inevitable few days of snow fall), but the more I research which winter tire to buy, the more clear it is that it is TOO warm in Portland for Winters.

I'm looking for advice from folk who are Winter Tire users as I haven't really ever used them (even when I lived in Michigan and Minnesota...I was too poor back then to have more than one set of tires). On my 328 I used the stock 17's with All (no) Seasons during the actual winter and my 18's with Summer Tires for the rest of the year.

Everything I've read says to only use them when the average temps are below 40...and that isn't that much of winter here, really. If that's correct, perhaps I am best off throwing some decent No Seasons on my 18's? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I was never an Snow Tire user (Baltimore area). Although on my previous BMW, 2012 335ix, I did run summers in the spring and summer and swap to all season for the cold months as you are suggesting. It worked fine for me as snowfall here did not justify a dedicated tire.

On the bad side, I got tired of swapping them. On the plus side, when I got a hole in a tire I could just get home, swap the set, and get the bad tire patched whenever I got time.

I'm actually going to full time all seasons for this car. But if I'm disappointed with the performance I'll be back doing what you are considering. I still have the other wheels.

edit...I should mention I also have another vehicle I intend to use during any indication of encountering snow.

Last edited by kenya971; 09-12-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0