F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Getting Picky: 45 Minutes with the F30. Diesel Confirmed by BMWNA Guy.
GetBMWParts

03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Getting Picky: 45 Minutes with the F30. Diesel Confirmed by BMWNA Guy.

***WARNING, THIS IS A LONG POST***

Okay, so I’ll start with the fact that I didn’t have enough time to actually drive the car and cannot wait to do so. I was only in for my free weekly wash at South Bay BMW yesterday. It was also the official launch (for them) of the new 3, aka the F30. I knew this would be a total clusterf**k and nevertheless I didn’t have time yesterday to do a test drive and look over the car. That said, what follows is a complete driving aside perspective.

As I was driving up I came up behind a mineral grey one and I thought, YES, that’s it, that’s an F30. Actually, since nobody else was in the car with me, this was an out load thought, in the best Eric Cartman voice I can do: “Oh, a new F30, ahhhhsummm! It’s soo kooooo!” Anyway, as soon as I pulled up yesterday I basically threw my key fob at the attendant and started prowling for the F30s. Turned my head about 120 degrees and there was my first sighting, a Melbourne Red 335i sport line with BMW accessory 20s- and it looked amazing. This was my first MR in person, and it’s a great color. It’s like they took crimson and added a tad of orange and a light dusting of metallic bits- a very nice color.

I have to say, the F30 is one attractive car. The curving hood and the light to grill integration is hot. I imagine 5 years from now 90% of all new Asian models will have light bounded grills. The side and rear, are also, in my opinion, improvements over the outgoing car. From a far, the black sport line accents are very nicely done. Unfortunately, I had to go in for a closer look.

I’ll preface this upcoming negative part of the review with the fact that I am one picky person, but what BMW enthusiast isn’t? Upon closer look, the number one, NUMBER ONE problem with this car is the window trim. The Luxury Line has the chrome/polished aluminum trim so that’s fine. But the Sport and Modern lines have this black plastic, perhaps matted metal window trim. It’s dull and boring. I understand the standard outgoing car had this and that the base car would be fine with this as well. But these are line cars and this is an accent that shouldn’t have been ignored. On the Sport BMW has instituted shadowline mirrors, grill inserts, exhaust tips and painted slats around the fogs. On the Modern, BMW has affixed painted aluminum colored fog accents, rear trim and I think aluminum colored exhaust tips- the turbine wheels also have this color. What idiot overlooked the window trim? On the outgoing car, the B-pillar wasn’t painted. But on this car it is. The contrast of the glossy B-pillar to the non-glossy weather stripping, which is for some reason about an inch wide, and then the non-glossy window trim is just hideous. On the Sport, the shadowline should have remained. On the Modern, they should have at least tried out the titanium trim look- think Porsche Cayenne trim- this is a good look- at least better than black plastic. My SA came out and chatted with me after about 20 minutes of my own inspection. He agreed this was dumb- primarily because the non-painted or chromed surfaces tend to bubble and peel more easily.

The next exterior problem is with the mirrors. We’ve gone to the trouble of having black mirror caps on the Sport line. Why the hell is there black plastic on the rear side of the mirror? Lesser makes have eliminated plastic on the mirrors. SA also agreed with me here, lazy owners will not armor all these parts and they will fade and whiten with age and sun exposure and just look like crap.

Next comes the hood and grills. The grills are great on the whole. I just wish the Sport line had black surrounds as well as slats. It would bring the car together much more. The hood looks good as well, but when you get up close and see the line through it where the top of the bumper is, you really realize that this was a cost saving design and does not have the same level of refinement that previous generations had. Finally, as my SA pointed out to me, perhaps the worst part of the hood is the emblem. For whatever reason, unlike previous cars, the emblem on the F30 seems to be settled in its own little ditch. It’s like they carved out a hole in the hood and set the thing down in there. Again, strange.

Finally, we get to go inside the car. The general cabin layout is good. It’s still seemingly very ergonomic and practical as well as refined. It’s also a little warmer feeling than the E9x models. The cup holders have to be a huge improvement. I haven’t used them but judging from the location and design- they’ve got to be better. There is, however, this silly tray-like piece that sits on top of them and pops out- as the SA correctly pointed out, this will be easily broken and/or lost.

Next up are the seats. The sport seats are comfortable on the whole, though I couldn’t get them to the same comfort level as those in my e92. In between my butt and my knees is seemed as if there was an over-cushioning or bolstering sticking up into my thighs. It was strange to say the least- I am not overweight and am very healthy, so this was not an “it’s because you’re a fat American issue,” although maybe the car was designed for us so the reverse could be true. The lumbar support was also weird and I couldn’t get the thing to go flat. On the whole the sport seats were good. I took one look at the non-sport seats and didn’t bother getting in. The seat bottoms are too flat to even consider. Which eliminates getting a luxury or modern line. This is perhaps the most ridiculous logistical aspect of the F30. Why can we mix and match colors or order specific things- like option code 481- sport seats? More on that in a bit.

The next interior gripe is the iDrive screen. Why, WHY must this not be integrated into a second sculpted hump like it is on the e9x cars? The whole screen sticking up from the dash is just silly looking. I don’t get this. Aside from that the screen display is fantastic.

The steering wheel in the sport did seem a tad bit thinner in diameter than in my e92 (sport not M). This could just be perception and not reality. On the steering wheel, we come back to the issue of colors, and lines and such. The whole lines idea is great with respect to generic styling cues and exterior schemes. On the interior though, we should be able to spec the car as we want it. I can’t have oyster without modern- and if I get that I get no sport suspension or seats, not to mention the oyster just isn’t the same as it was in the e9x cars. If I want saddle, I have to get the luxury. Those gripes go on and on. On the Modern, the dark oyster wheel and dash look good, as long as you get the light oyster interior and don’t look at the steering wheel stalk. If you get the black interior you realize how silly the light dash and wheel are. In either case, the black plastic steering wheel stalk behind the oyster wheel looks ridiculous, like someone didn’t think it all the way through.

Then we get to the interior trim. I understand the idea behind the red dash trim and stitching. But it’s just toooooo much. The stitching is very nicely done. But the red dash trim is just too chincy and flashy. It’s just too much. I know you can supposedly get aluminum, but they didn’t have one there. The red dash trim for me is probably a deal breaker on a particular car. Then we get to the wood, or lack of wood trim issue. Why is it that only the Modern or Luxury get to have the grey/black looking wood? Yea I’ll have beige or saddle with grey wood, but not red leather with grey wood. Okay.

At this point my SA says no, all is not lost, check out the textured wood you can get in the Modern. I thought, “cool, natural textured wood.” Nope! This wood on the door trim was like someone resined corduroy and put on a matte finish. It’s as if they used a mini snow groomer or something similar to carve perfectly even ridges and valleys in this stuff. While it was better on the dash than on the door handle, it was not the textured, natural wood I imagined.

Finally, the door and dash trim and leather have gone through another generation of cheapening. The door and dash trim don’t feel or sound as nice when tapped on as that in the e9x just as that in the e9x doesn’t feel or sound as nice as that in the e46. This is just part of the game. I got into a Dakota leather car and seriously thought it was leatherette. I thought this leatherette is nice. I got out and saw it was leather and almost wanted to cry. The rest of the interior seemed “fair enough.” Nice, but not amazing.

At this point you’re thinking, wow this a$$h0l3 hates the new 3. Not so. I’m just picky and want BMW to pay attention to detail and follow through. The thing about BMWs has always been, besides the way they drive, that they paid attention to detail and followed through. Sure, you maybe only got 17s or 18s with a sport pack and you had to pay for every option you wanted, but the cars on the whole made sense. Things went together and were well coordinated. Materials were top notch. I’m starting to lose that feeling when I get in them. They’re still that much more expensive than non-luxury cars, but they’re starting to feel less so. About a month ago I was in Mammoth and was driving around in a friends e39 528i. It was beat up, but that’s not it’s fault. Nevertheless I realized how much I had forgotten about the quality of the materials in those older cars. When I got back in my e9x it was like going from early 20th century Spanish revival to early 21st century Orange County Spanish track home. They look similar but they just don’t feel the same.

Anyway, enough reminiscing, on to the good. There was a BMWNA product development guy there. This was good because as soon as I mentioned sport seats as option code 481 in Europe for 500 euros the salesman knew that I was out of his selling league. He called this guy over and we had a good talk. Supposedly this summer when the M-sport comes out we will have a few more options in terms of trims- though wood likely will not be available on the sport and m-sport. Also, the coupe should have a few more options. And, he seemed to confirm that it will be a 4 series, more closely resembling the 6- though I’m worried this will bring a bigger price differential.

The best news by far, however, was the news of the diesel. YES, a diesel is coming. It will not be a 35, but rather a 30. He indicated it would be based off the N47 engine- approximately 2 litres and will come in as a 330d- placed between the 28 and the 35. Given this information, I’m speculating a triple, or at least twin turbo 4 with somewhere from 225-260 hp and 375-450 ft-lbs of torque. He indicated that mated to the 8 speed auto, it would be pushing 50 MPGs!!!! At this point all the negatives almost went completely out the window, because this news is awesome.

On the whole, my 45 minutes was a great time. I love picking cars apart and finding the good and the bad. I still have to drive one of course. That will happen the next time I’m at the dealer. Despite that, and despite its many faults, the F30 still gets my blessing. The problem for me is not with the F30, but with the competition. Every time a new 3 comes out, many of us enthusiasts gripe on and on about x or y or z. Every time a new 3 comes out, many of us enthusiasts still buy one. Why? Simply because nothing else does it for us. And that’s still the case. Compared to the competition, the F30 is still the best in its class. And by a long way. So the answer to the most important question is “Yes, I still want one.”
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
brad0
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Great review and I agree with everything you found out. I'm getting a feeling like my F30 is just a 1 year car, I'll probably move on to something better next year.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Thanks, I know it's a long read. But, it's been a while since I've contributed a solid review on here, so I felt I had to. I was also moved to. I don't know about a one year car- perhaps if you're upgrading to a coupe. I sincerely hope, and really do think that the limited trim/color options will not last very long. I think people like us will compel BMW to change that.

Also, another great piece of info I forgot to add was that the BMWNA guy also confirmed that LED headlights should be available when the facelift is introduced about 3 years from now- that was pretty cool to hear.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Vong
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' Acura RL (A-Spec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0 View Post
Great review and I agree with everything you found out. I'm getting a feeling like my F30 is just a 1 year car, I'll probably move on to something better next year.
So you currently own an F30 and you feel like you'll be moving on? Would you mind to elaborate as to why? Anything in particular not covered in the above review? ie. driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

that diesel sounds terrific! That torque and mpg? This will be a great seller, unlike the 335d. Not to say the 335d is a bad car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

good review with some interesting perspectives. i haven't noticed the window trim, i'll have to take a look at my sport. as for the interior, i do get the feeling there many be some cost cutting going on but even with i feel its a great step forward overall. with the exception of the limited flexibility, i love what they've done. i havent seen another interior in this class that i think looks better.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post

Next comes the hood and grills. The grills are great on the whole. I just wish the Sport line had black surrounds as well as slats.

Then we get to the interior trim. I understand the idea behind the red dash trim and stitching. But it’s just toooooo much. The stitching is very nicely done. But the red dash trim is just too chincy and flashy.
Easily fixed per consumer taste:

1) Just Retrofit the Black M Performance Grills

2) Just choose the black dash trim option
      03-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Thanks for the write-up.

The restrictions imposed by the new "lines" are a real pain. It's ridiculous that you guys cannot spec sports seats with Luxury for example. What's that all about?

Personally I think the chromeline trim looks great on this car but you can only get it with the Luxury line, which means you're stuck with wood trim. So, if you want chromeline on your mineral grey F30 (as I did), you're forced to have a wooden dashboard (I'm praying it looks OK!). Still, at least I was able to get sports seats in the UK...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Thanks for the write-up.

It's ridiculous that you guys cannot spec sports seats with Luxury for example. What's that all about?

P.
Its about producing the cars so they are cheap in the US and that they dont have to wait 3 or 4 months for production to begin after ordering.
Their options will change further down the line, as per usual.
      03-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Personally I think the chromeline trim looks great on this car but you can only get it with the Luxury line, which means you're stuck with wood trim. So, if you want chromeline on your mineral grey F30 (as I did), you're forced to have a wooden dashboard (I'm praying it looks OK!). Still, at least I was able to get sports seats in the UK...
Unless you just retrofit it to another line.
Its usually quite easy for the dealers to do, just costs you a bit more.
      03-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #11
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Thanks, can I retrofit different trim if the anthracite is not to my liking!?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Easily fixed per consumer taste:

1) Just Retrofit the Black M Performance Grills

2) Just choose the black dash trim option
I see your point for those who wanted an F30 asap...to me if you are paying 50k for a car they should pay attention to this, especially the grill in sport should be blacked out.

This review was not long at all!!! I enjoyed the entire 1 hr it took em to read, LOL just kidding. Becuase of this review I will be waiting for info on that DIESEL. Hopefully you can get that with mSport and have better options for the interior/exterior combo.

That 4 series sounds like it is going to be a beast. Might have to look into that ;p
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

The 30d becoming a 4 pot?! That's terrible news. Already created a thread of disgust in the E90>N57 board.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution View Post
I see your point for those who wanted an F30 asap...to me if you are paying 50k for a car they should pay attention to this, especially the grill in sport should be blacked out.
Generally most people dont like Blacked out Grills, thats why it is not standard.
But at least the option of getting a true OEM blacked out grill is there for those that like it

Many are even changing the Sport tail pipe back to chrome, and the black sport mirror caps that are standard in the USA but optional everywhere else are not selling well as most want the mirrors in the body color
      03-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

Quote:
Generally most people dont like Blacked out Grills, thats why it is not standard.
But at least the option of getting a true OEM blacked out grill is there for those that like it

Many are even changing the Sport tail pipe back to chrome, and the black sport mirror caps that are standard in the USA but optional everywhere else are not selling well as most want the mirrors in the body color
I concur too both out thoughts. I would say to make this optional. SO you can pick you own grill color. These cars are worth some money and they should be a bit more customizable, imo.

Not this pkg crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the write-up.

The restrictions imposed by the new "lines" are a real pain. It's ridiculous that you guys cannot spec sports seats with Luxury for example. What's that all about?

My main gripe about the lines is the oyster and black, etc. choices of the modern line. while the oyster looks great IMO, the black seats would clash with the oyster dash, etc. That was not very smart design.

As far as the black grille and black exhaust tips on the sportline, I think that they look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Soon to order 9th BMW ( 7 BMW plus 2 Minis) and this line setup is the most frustrating experience I have ever had spec-ing a new BMW. All in all, I think the car is terrific. I understand the new EU laws they have to abide by, but the car would be infintely more attractive w/o the hood line and I do not care for the mandatory black mirror w/ sport line unless ordering black or mineral gray, in which case, they look fine.

The inability to have certain choices available across lines is annoying. Additionally, some of there color combos are very limiting IMHO. With the new blue and bronze added to sport line you really do not have much to choose from as an interior combo.
With the bronze would you want a gray interior or red... I don't think so. So black is the only viable choice. Would you want a red trim line on the interior with a bronze car. Not good so black trim is the only choice. Can't even imagine a coral red interior on a bronze car. YIKES..

The blue is a nice color but again..what interior ? Everest Gray--kinda cold..Red--don't think so. So again, black is the only choice.

If they added new exterior colors..why not an addt'l complimentary interior color..beige, taupe, oyster?

Also, why is wood no longer "sporty" on a BMW. I have it in my 135i and its a sporty little rocket.

I will likely order the 335i ( awaiting sport package details/price) but I would like alot more flexibility. Why should I compromise for over 50k ?

BMW--remember, this is your bread and butter and your average F30 is likely going to hover around 50K. When spending 50K on a car , your customers want to build to their specs not your idea of what their specs should be. We trust you to build us a superb car to drive but aesthetics are personal choice. Let us decide what we want our car to look like. Ordering a new BMW should be exciting not frustrating.

Rant off.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

agree .. bloody product segmentation, love marketing...also a way to make us pay extra 1000s just to get some options or leather... should be able between lines to opt for whatever paint or leather.. did not know that the new paint were even limited to lines !
bmw moves into wrong direction, at time other brands have understood the need for greater customization ...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
I do not care for the mandatory black mirror w/ sport line unless ordering black or mineral gray, in which case, they look fine.

Solution.
Just have dealer retrofit body color mirror caps, or Carbon ones if you like.
Costs a little more, but may make many happier.
      03-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post

BMW--remember, this is your bread and butter and your average F30 is likely going to hover around 50K. When spending 50K on a car , your customers want to build to their specs not your idea of what their specs should be.
$50k is very little for these cars when compared to worldwide prices.
These restrictions are part of why they are so extremely cheap in the USA and why the USA does not have 3-4 Month waiting lists from order date to build date.
      03-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
$50k is very little for these cars when compared to worldwide prices.
These restrictions are part of why they are so extremely cheap in the USA and why the USA does not have 3-4 Month waiting lists from order date to build date.
I understand your plight. My comments were relative to the US market.I feel for all of you in Canada, South Africa, Australia. You really get punished by the taxation system on autos.

I have driven BMWs since 1977 and have yet to find a more restrictive ordering process.
My salesperson ( a 15 yr BMW vet) is also very unhappy with the "system" which only means other customers are frustrated.

I wish I was the kind of car guy who could just take what is offered BUT then maybe I would be driving a Honda.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I am hoping and praying the news about the diesel is true and not just a salesman pulling your leg.
Appreciate 0