F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 335i M Sport rips 0-60mph in 4.6 secs in Jun '13 Car & Driver, finishes 2nd
Extreme Powerhouse

09-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #485
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

I drove the ISF 350 Lexus hard and liked it.

For the record I am all signed up for a M4 with deposit when order starts and huge fan of brand. Now I did recently get to keep the new Lexus for a wkd trial and encouraged by salesman to put 200 hard miles on it and see if I still would choose a BMW...hehe he has no idea about my driving skills....hmmm ok off I go!

So I took the car through my normal road course of twisties , highway and "drove it like I stole it". I have to say that the car frankly surprised me in a big way and have experienced first hand the merits stated vs the BMW. it did a great job and felt firm when pushed to limits. Good throttle response and linear in power delivery. Interior was good looking save the 80s looking vent but as much as I loved the highly supportive seats I can't get past the fact that they only come in Pleather. All in all I agree why voting was tight but perhaps I feel the car mags were trying hard to find an edge to stir the pot at BMW camp. My point is don't be so dismissive of this new competition until you drive it but would never choose over a Bimmer. It's just a whole different feel and connection that only fans I brand like you folks here would understand. If anything let it be a wake up call to BMW to not rest on its dominance. At least from what I see in the new M4 it will restore order!
      09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #486
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Rican View Post
For the record I am all signed up for a M4 with deposit when order starts and huge fan of brand. Now I did recently get to keep the new Lexus for a wkd trial and encouraged by salesman to put 200 hard miles on it and see if I still would choose a BMW...hehe he has no idea about my driving skills....hmmm ok off I go!

So I took the car through my normal road course of twisties , highway and "drove it like I stole it". I have to say that the car frankly surprised me in a big way and have experienced first hand the merits stated vs the BMW. it did a great job and felt firm when pushed to limits. Good throttle response and linear in power delivery. Interior was good looking save the 80s looking vent but as much as I loved the highly supportive seats I can't get past the fact that they only come in Pleather. All in all I agree why voting was tight but perhaps I feel the car mags were trying hard to find an edge to stir the pot at BMW camp. My point is don't be so dismissive of this new competition until you drive it but would never choose over a Bimmer. It's just a whole different feel and connection that only fans I brand like you folks here would understand. If anything let it be a wake up call to BMW to not rest on its dominance. At least from what I see in the new M4 it will restore order!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #487
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

[QUOTE=M4Rican;14723225]

So I took the car through my normal road course of twisties , highway and "drove it like I stole it". it did a great job and felt firm when pushed to limits. Good throttle response and linear in power delivery. [ QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel in my F30

I test drove the IS350 just after driving the ATS and frankly the ATS impressed me more. Both engines being NA need to be wrung up a bit to get meaningful power from them. The N20/N55 are good from rpms just a bit north of idle. If you are all about suspension/chassis then Cadillac/GM have their ducks in a row. However there is more to a car than just suspension and like someone said earlier, the F30 has it all.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #488
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

[QUOTE=300hp]
Quote:

So I took the car through my normal road course of twisties , highway and "drove it like I stole it". it did a great job and felt firm when pushed to limits. Good throttle response and linear in power delivery. [ QUOTE]

I test drove the IS350 just after driving the ATS and frankly the ATS impressed me more. If you are all about suspension/chassis then Cadillac/GM have their ducks in a row. However there is more to a car than just suspension and like someone said earlier, the F30 has it all.
I totally agree with you about the ATS! Only drive it for about 50 miles or so but you nailed it with your comment. It performs great but again it's not a complete package like the f-30. I drove so many new performance cars and try to remain objective but nothing else felt or connected with me. Guess it was my last attemp to stray away so i guess I am a lifer now BMW.
      09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #489
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

[QUOTE=M4Rican]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:

I test drove the IS350 just after driving the ATS and frankly the ATS impressed me more. If you are all about suspension/chassis then Cadillac/GM have their ducks in a row. However there is more to a car than just suspension and like someone said earlier, the F30 has it all.
I totally agree with you about the ATS! Only drive it for about 50 miles or so but you nailed it with your comment. It performs great but again it's not a complete package like the f-30. I drove so many new performance cars and try to remain objective but nothing else felt or connected with me. Guess it was my last attemp to stray away so i guess I am a lifer now BMW.
I won't take credit for the F30 has it all comment, I stole it from JV

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #490
yosafbridge
Rep
Drives: UDM

Quote:

I doubt it. The 480hp V8 Lexus RC-F ( coupe version of the IS) will probably do to the M4 in the slalom what the IS350 did to the 335i. And with the M4 putting out only 430hp vs the 480hp in the RC-F, BMW can no longer hide behind straightline speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #491
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosafbridge View Post
I doubt it. The 480hp V8 Lexus RC-F ( coupe version of the IS) will probably do to the M4 in the slalom what the IS350 did to the 335i. And with the M4 putting out only 430hp vs the 480hp in the RC-F, BMW can no longer hide behind straightline speed.

Doesn't BMW underrate its horsepower numbers on M's like they do their other vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #492
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

Quote:
I haven't even heard of that yet.... It's like an is f coupe you mean?

That's only 400hp out here at 5k feet though. Is the new m4 turbo or na?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #493
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t335xi View Post
I haven't even heard of that yet.... It's like an is f coupe you mean?

That's only 400hp out here at 5k feet though. Is the new m4 turbo or na?

Here's a link. It's the RC-F testing alongside an M3. The F80 and F82 I believe will be V6 TT.

http://wot.motortrend.com/lexus-rc-f...#axzz2g1ho5oam
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #494
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

That's pretty cool... Look forward to a test drive. The isf was always a nice car, but too expensive to compete with BMW. I hope they either price it correctly this time around.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #495
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
I'm sorry dude, but this is pure facepalm worthy speculation. The M3 is a completely different car in terms of chassis components/tuning, powertrain, and just performance in general. The car will have 430 HP and weigh in around 3300lbs, along with an active rear differential. The only area on paper I see the lexus having a distinct advantage is with the multi-link front suspension.

But seriously, making statements about the RC-F vs M3 based on car and driver 335 vs IS350 holds about as much weight in my book as a comparison of the I3 vs the prius. Given the data we have, assuming that TRD or whoever designs these IS cars will beat the M division in their bread and butter segment is at this point

Last edited by drob23; 09-26-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #496
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
I'm sorry dude, but this is pure facepalm worthy speculation. The M3 is a completely different car in terms of chassis components/tuning, powertrain, and just performance in general. The car will have 430 HP and weigh in around 3300lbs, along with an active rear differential. The only area on paper I see the lexus having a distinct advantage is with the multi-link front suspension.

But seriously, making statements about the RC-F vs M3 based on car and driver 335 vs IS350 holds about as much weight in my book as a comparison of the I3 vs the prius. Given the data we have, assuming that TRD or whoever designs these IS cars will beat the M division in their bread and butter segment is at this point
+1

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #497
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

"An even lighter version of the new car, possibly resurrecting the famed CSL nomenclature and fitted with lightweight seats as part of a pared-down interior and other weight saving measures, is under consideration for sale later in the new M4's model cycle. BMW M division boss Freidrich Nitschke suggests it could come in close to 3086 pounds if it receives a production greenlight"

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...NEWS/130929883
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #498
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

IS250 not recommended by CR.

Some key points:
-The magazine found the 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport to be “neither sporty nor luxurious”
-Editors were also disappointed with their observed overall fuel economy of 21 mpg (I have 320HP awd car that averages 23mpg with city type driving and enthusiastic h/way driving)
-Furthermore, Consumer Reports found the IS 250 to have “vague-feeling” steering, “elevated” road noise, and a cramped interior.
-Editors also weren’t enamored by the infotainment system and its “fussy” mouse-like controller.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-lexus...#ixzz2iSoZayqb
Follow us: @MotorTrend on Twitter | MotortrendMag on Facebook

Indeed this is only the IS250 but most of these complaints have nothing to with the engine.

More comments on the IS250 here:
"The Lexus IS handling is short on finesse, with vague-feeling steering that doesn't telegraph much feedback. Road noise is elevated and the ride is neither plush nor tied-down,"
"It was the worst road test score posted by any Lexus sedan in recent memory."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101129964

Last edited by 300hp; 10-22-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0