F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > FIRST LOOK! F34 3-series GT (Gran Turismo) Spied In Testing
Studio RSR

03-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #67
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it is a 4 Series GranCoupé, I 'am all for it. But this is a 3 Series GranTurismo. Where are other spyshots: 6 Series GranCoupé, Z2, Z8?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #68
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
as long as the rear doesn't look like the 5GT we are good. Those renders look too good to be a 3. And obviously they didn't make it longer like A4. or at least close. From what I understand, the wheel base is longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #69
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

actually....not bad. i dont like the sketches, but the actual car looks ok. now, lets see that grill and head lights. that will make or break the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #70
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I didn't purchase the tires yet because I am still waiting for my wheels to come in. I have been looking at the pilot super sports but they do not appear to have them for the fronts(245/35/20). The rear is available though(285/30/20)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #71
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandydog View Post
I rest my case. Enthusiasts do not buy ManBearPigs. It is sad to see BMW indulge in this self-mutilation.
You are by no means the authority/spokesman for all enthusiasts so speak for yourself.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #72
pogodog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

red rendering

I think the red car render looks fantastic and would get one if it produces 35mpg and decent 328i type performance
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #73
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
I rest my case. Enthusiasts do not buy ManBearPigs. It is sad to see BMW indulge in this self-mutilation.
Why did you buy a 4WD BMW if you are so worried about the brand maintaining it's values? I guess you'll say it's because you live in Alaska and you need it... huh, I guess BMW offering different solutions to cater to more peoples needs is okay so long YOU like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #74
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F25X3 View Post
went to london and back today. saw 3 A7 on the m6 and 1, yes one 5GT. honest cross my heart hope to die. If someone else says the GT is a sales sucess please lay off the pot. kills brain cells. i was told the bmw board were all smoking some when they approved the design. by the way the a7 has a bonkers retractable rear wing ala porsche. very cool. and a decent boot. and its now my 2nd car i would buy in white. after the e90 m3 of course. also so loads - too many to count -A5's
I've only seen 1 R8 this year, guess that must be a sales flop......

... or, some cars (y'know, like niche ones..) just sell in lower volumes. People complain that BMW's are no longer exclusive, then they complain when they don't see them all the time.

It's beginning to feel like Fourtitude around here..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #75
Sandydog
Registered Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
You are by no means the authority/spokesman for all enthusiasts so speak for yourself.
Gosh--I think I did speak for myself, and accurately. If you buy a ManBearPig, you are not in my opinion an 'Enthusiast.' There, I did it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #76
Sandydog
Registered Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Why did you buy a 4WD BMW if you are so worried about the brand maintaining it's values? I guess you'll say it's because you live in Alaska and you need it... huh, I guess BMW offering different solutions to cater to more peoples needs is okay so long YOU like it.
Uhhh. . . BMW has been building 4WD and AWD vehicles for decades. Oddly enough, the great majority of them looked like rather standard sedans, coupes, and Tourings. None of them looked like ManbearPigs, including the one I bought. Ergo, BMW DID maintain its values and traditions without indulging in self-mutilation to cater to an aberrant taste for many years.
BMW does not have to offer every different solution to 'cater to more peoples.' Rolls-Royce builds absolutely NO econobox saloons. Bentley produces no lorries. GMC produces not a single sports car or family sedan. Kenworth builds extremely few convertibles.

Last edited by Sandydog; 03-27-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #77
Deltari09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 3-Series Coupe

the angle at which the hood and tail connects to the passenger cell (roofline) looks REALLY wierd. (think a W shape)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #78
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Gosh--I think I did speak for myself, and accurately. If you buy a ManBearPig, you are not in my opinion an 'Enthusiast.' There, I did it again.
By Golly Gee Willickers - I don't think you did Other wise you would not have use the plural tense of the noun enthusiasts now would ya? Nor did you state it was only "your" opinion. Check your original post for your own edification. It's all good, we'll send you a rusted out BMW Isetta as a consolation prize for your efforts.

I'm glad BMW overlooks the near sighted, shallow minded folks like yourself. Sandydog I got news for you. BMW has more interesting model concepts slated for production that may not be to your liking. You might want to "jump ship" now, I am sure you won't be missed

Last edited by car_fan; 03-28-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #79
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Uhhh. . . BMW has been building 4WD and AWD vehicles for decades. Oddly enough, the great majority of them looked like rather standard sedans, coupes, and Tourings. None of them looked like ManbearPigs, including the one I bought. Ergo, BMW DID maintain its values and traditions without indulging in self-mutilation to cater to an aberrant taste for many years.
BMW does not have to offer every different solution to 'cater to more peoples.' Rolls-Royce builds absolutely NO econobox saloons. Bentley produces no lorries. GMC produces not a single sports car or family sedan. Kenworth builds extremely few convertibles.
REALLY are you serious?

Care to post any comments about Porsche re: Cayenne and Panamera.

Or what about Ferarri with the upcoming FF (651hp, 4WD, 4 Seats, Hatchback).

Arguably two of the most "pure" sports car manufacturers in the world stepping outside of what has historically been considered their realm to offer more model variants.

Even Lamborghini produced the LMOO2 in the late 80's early 90's.

I'll admit your comments are very entertaining.

I could go on but it would further derail the original subject matter of this thread. So I digress
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #80
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
Considering that the 5 series GT is a terrible seller, I don't get this either.
Compared to what? BMW is selling as many or more than they thought they would in the US. I have sold more myself in the past year than the toal of 5 series wagons I sold in 6 plus years of selling them. The 5 GT is EASILY outselling the 5 wagon on its best year. BMW did not make the 5 GT thinking they were going to sell a lot. They knew more people would buy it in the US than the wagon and they were right as usual. Say what you want but BMW knows what they are doing by bringing the 5 GT here instead of the wagon. Ive been selling BMW for almost 7 years and while people make remarks about this as well as the X6 the bottom line is that people buy them and BMW makes money. This is turn makes your 3 series and the rest of the line better cars. Just check with Porsche on that and you will see that if there was no Cayenne or Panamera you would have no gt3/gt2. When the 3 GT comes we will easily sell more of them than we ever did wagons I have no doubt about it. When people give the 5 GT a chance they see that it is actually better than an X5 for 95% of people. It also looks a lot better in person than in pictures. I dont think its great looking but it looks nice and the interior is amazing and so is the drive. I am sure the same will be said with the 3 GT.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #81
Sandydog
Registered Offender
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=car_fan;9231379]By Golly Gee Willickers - I don't think you did Other wise you would not have use the plural tense of the noun enthusiasts now would ya? Nor did you state it was only "your" opinion. Check your original post for your own edification. It's all good, we'll send you a rusted out BMW Isetta as a consolation prize for your efforts.[QUOTE]

All statements expressed herein are opinions unless stating statistical facts. Furthermore, all of your opinions on the subject are highly suspect as you apparently bought a BMW ManBearPig.

Rest assured, if BMW starts to build nothing but automotive nightmares that resemble malevolent toads on wheels, I will go elsewhere for my next vehicle. No, BMW will not miss me. They'll have people like you.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #82
Sandydog
Registered Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
REALLY are you serious?

Care to post any comments about Porsche re: Cayenne and Panamera.

Or what about Ferarri with the upcoming FF (651hp, 4WD, 4 Seats, Hatchback).

Arguably two of the most "pure" sports car manufacturers in the world stepping outside of what has historically been considered their realm to offer more model variants.

Even Lamborghini produced the LMOO2 in the late 80's early 90's.

I'll admit your comments are very entertaining.

I could go on but it would further derail the original subject matter of this thread. So I digress
No, please, DO go on. You are merely reinforcing my 'opinions,' particularly with the LM002--gosh, what a success THAT was!

Ferrari and Porsche have no NEED to build things like those you list above. They merely prostitute that which they once stood for--high-performance GTs, snappy roadsters, the best or nothing. Now, they build mammywagons and trucks and 4-door sedans for the wealthy-yet-aged, simply because they can sell them. Aye, business be business, but it's still a tragedy to see once-proud manufacturers building such things.

Now, if you please, tell me more about how handsome a BMW Malevolent Toad GT is in comparison to a Porsche Cayenne. It's very much like a comparison between Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne Barr, yesno?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #83
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
All statements expressed herein are opinions unless stating statistical facts. Furthermore, all of your opinions on the subject are highly suspect as you apparently bought a BMW ManBearPig.

I merely commented on your statements - I never claimed to speak on the behalf of enthusiasts -so you fail here as well. My comment was that "YOU", and this is fact, do not speak on their behalf

Whatever a ManBearPig is LOL! Is that like a hybrid part human/animal or an automobile Yes you're right - BMW #7 not including the Mini

Rest assured, if BMW starts to build nothing but automotive nightmares that resemble malevolent toads on wheels, I will go elsewhere for my next vehicle. No, BMW will not miss me. They'll have people like you.

This is the best thing you have posted...uhhh you're still here you havent left yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #84
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
No, please, DO go on. You are merely reinforcing my 'opinions,' particularly with the LM002--gosh, what a success THAT was!

Ferrari and Porsche have no NEED to build things like those you list above. They merely prostitute that which they once stood for--high-performance GTs, snappy roadsters, the best or nothing. Now, they build mammywagons and trucks and 4-door sedans for the wealthy-yet-aged, simply because they can sell them. Aye, business be business, but it's still a tragedy to see once-proud manufacturers building such things.

Now, if you please, tell me more about how handsome a BMW Malevolent Toad GT is in comparison to a Porsche Cayenne. It's very much like a comparison between Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne Barr, yesno?

The Cayenne is actually quite capable not really a fan of the redux as it has lost some of the detail of the original, i.e. GTS. New Interior is excellent though. Turbo is fast!

The GT is distinctive in its own right. For me it was more about the function, although I am not adverse to its looks either. Some people like myself need additional space, and wish to allow their passengers to ride in comfort as well. No other vehicle in BMW's entire lineup has more rear legroom (save LWB F02 7 Series) than the GT. Matter of fact the GT is actually an F01 7 series right down to the wheel base dimensions. In essence the GT is a 7 series with a hatch, at a discount.

So yes, my passengers can kick back, watch a movie while I let 573 ft/Lbs of Torque dispatch - and move us past - the occaisional 335xi driving curmudgeon

Last edited by car_fan; 03-29-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #85
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
BMW has only been building SUV's since 99, just over a decade, where did the other decades come from?

Quote:
BMW's biggest competitor Mercedes builds everything from the A Class to heavy duty trucks and busses, appears to work well for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #86
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
BMW has only been building SUV's since 99, just over a decade, where did the other decades come from?
Between 1937 and 1941 BMW built a 4WD, 4 Wheel Steering military jeep called the 325. There were 4WD version of the E30 325i and E34 525i (325iX, and 525iX), 4WD was offered on some E46 variants too, none were amazing 4WD systems but then xDrive was developed for the X cars and is now as system used across the range.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #87
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Between 1937 and 1941 BMW built a 4WD, 4 Wheel Steering military jeep called the 325.
I'm pretty interested in this, I've got a couple of books on BMW history, none mention this military jeep, do you have any more information and some photos?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #88
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I'm pretty interested in this, I've got a couple of books on BMW history, none mention this military jeep, do you have any more information and some photos?
It's only mentioned in one of books, but I did once find some text online

Quote:
BMW 325
While in 1937 military production throughout
German industry had already achieved
a very high level, the responsible authorities
in Berlin directed BMW to produce a
jeep-like vehicle in Eisenach. The design of
this vehicle, classified as “light standardized
passenger car”, came from the Army
Weapons Office (Heereswaffenamt). This
office defined the standardized chassis, with
a steel under-cover and the body design.
Similar production orders were awarded
to Hanomag in Hanover and to Stoewer in
Stettin. The only difference among these
three vehicles was in the drive-train, as
each company used its own engine, without
being allowed to identify such with a company
logo. The jeep out of Eisenach was
internally designated as BMW 325.
The specialty of the 325 was that it had allwheel-
drive and all-wheel-steering. These
features were intended to assure superior
all-terrain drivability and good maneuverability
(turning circle of 21.3 ft [6.5 m]). In
order to avoid bottoming in rough terrain,
some of these vehicles were equipped with
two small free-running extra wheels in the
area of the doors.
The engine used in this vehicle was the 2 ltr.
6-cylinder, 50 HP motor used in the BMW
326, with the only modification being an oil
pan of aluminum.
The gear box had 5 forward and one
reverse gear. In first gear on firm ground,
the BMW 325 could handle slopes of up
to 60%. The minimum long-term speed of
the vehicle was 4 k/h (2.5 mph) and the
top speed was 90 k/h (56 mph). With a fuel
consumption of 17 ltr./100 km (14 mpg) the
range of the BMW 325 was limited to 350
km (219 miles).
Before a member of the Army Weapons
Office could take delivery of a BMW 325
each vehicle was test-drive for about 80
km (50 miles) by a member of BMW’s test
team. As can be seen on the picture, the
vehicles at this stage did not have the rear
body assembly mounted on the chassis. To
compensate a weight was attached to the
chassis, to get to the design weight of 2,200
kg (4,840 lbs).
Following the successful test drive, the
vehicles were driven to a body-shop in
near-by Waltershausen, where the body
assembly was completed. Only after this
assembly were these vehicles subjected to
the final inspection by a representative of
the Army Weapons Office. During use of the
BMW 325 by the German army it turned out
that these vehicles did not perform according
to expectations. Apart from the problem
with the high weight the complicated design
made the vehicles unreliable so that production
was stopped in 1940, and instead
BMW Eisenach was ordered to produce
an all-terrain motorcycle / sidecar unit by
use of the army. In the period between April
1, 1937 and July 31, 1940 a total of 3,225
BMW 325s left the production facilities of
BMW Eisenach.
Got it from a PDF, don't have the original link

edit:

This is the book I have which it is mentioned in:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...0CGwQ8wIwBDgo#

... but I guess people like me arn't enthusiasts because we don't hate the 5GT!

Last edited by Matski; 03-30-2011 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0