F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive settings for Cameras
ARMA SPEED

10-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 153Z 335xi

iDrive settings for Cameras

I'm still waiting on the arrival of our 335i...got to customs in California on the 4th of Oct. Meanwhile...I'm wondering about how all the cameras work. I got the side view, Top view and rear view cameras. I understand the view from the cameras will come automatically when going in reverse, however, my wife has a habit of grinding rims on curbs ...thus, I got all the cameras in the hope that it will help her avoid such things in the future. Is there a way to get the cameras to come on automatically when nearing any object? IE...when the sensors go off... From what my dealer told me...the cameras do not come on automatically and we will have to manually turn them on...but I'm hoping there's some setting or option that can be selected to make it happen. Otherwise...I think I may have wasted a lot of money on getting those options.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

there is a button to turn on the cameras. However, you should be driving slowly otherwise they turn off automatically. I think it is something like over 5-10 mph.
Attached Images

10-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

When you shift into reverse, the cameras (either top-view or rear-view, depending on what you last selected) will automatically come onto the iDrive screen. The cameras are an ABSOLUTELY amazing feature, and I will definitely be getting that again. Like the poster above mentioned, you can also manually turn on the cameras using the button shown.

PS - The Parking Assistant, however, is useless junk that only works about 1/5 of the time.
      10-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Pressing the circled button will not always get you the overhead 360* view.

I had to play with iDrive to get the overhead 360* view to work for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55
Pressing the circled button will not always get you the overhead 360* view.

I had to play with iDrive to get the overhead 360* view to work for me.
As shoptb mentioned above your post, it depends on your last setting.

I leave mine on 360 view and that's what comes up every time after that.

I rarely use the rear view camera, love the 360 view.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Appreciate everyone's response. OK...so, I guess since my wife would have to remember to push a button to activate the cameras while parallel parking...I will just have to resign to the fate of the rims getting ground against a curb because she'll never remember that. I specifically ordered all the camera options to try and prevent that...and the fact that she finds the most remote things to bump into.

On another note...I thought all 3 cameras could be activated simultaneously. I thought the side view gave you side view...back gave you back and top view kind of wrapped it all up. I thought that's what was displaying on the screen when you get the 360 view around the car.

So...based off what you guys just told me...I really wasted some money insisting on all the camera options...if they can't all be used simultaneously and have to be selected individually or cycled through...that'll never happen with the wife. I'm not worried about backing up...since a camera view of some sort should pop up automatically... it's the curb or parking stall parking that worries me.

My sales rep never told me all these details about how the cameras work. Maybe I came across too strong and they assumed I already knew...wonderful.

Last edited by DitDah; 10-09-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
When your wife goes into reverse to parallel park, the top view will come on automatically. Stop telling yourself you wasted your money.

Also, the side cameras are activated by the button above the one that pr0gi circled, and they are not used to create the top view. Top view uses the rear view camera and 2 under-mirror cameras either side. The side cameras are located either side of the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
When your wife goes into reverse to parallel park, the top view will come on automatically. Stop telling yourself you wasted your money.

Also, the side cameras are activated by the button above the one that pr0gi circled, and they are not used to create the top view. Top view uses the rear view camera and 2 under-mirror cameras either side. The side cameras are located either side of the front bumper.
+1, also...who doesn't want to have a better view when parallel parking? Even if your wife is not the best at parking, I would think that she'd want to use the top-view camera in order to get into the spot. I'm definitely not an ace at parallel parking; those top-view cams have saved my rims on multiple occasions!
      10-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Roger that...and that's the very reason I selected the options to get all those cameras. My hope is that it will help her in saving the car from scrapes and bumps. I was hoping it was a bit more automated/intelligent though...she's not the type that remembers to do anything "extra" while driving. She just wants to get in and drive. So, I'm going to have to take some time to set everything up to make the experience as seamless to her as possible...Bluetooth phone connection, radio settings...etc. She'll remember to turn on the cameras after she bumps something.

I was hoping there was an iDrive setting that would allow the cameras to turn on when the sensors detected something going forward at a slow rate...IE, while trying to park. I think it would be a great idea... don't activate at higher than 5mph speeds...but activate if the sensors detect something...or even just have them come on automatically whenever speeds are at 5mph or slower. it would be a nice option I think.

Get this...I asked her how she ground the rims on her Honda and she was shocked that it happened. How could you not hear or feel it when you grind your rims??? After I had the wheels rotated...she did it to the other 2 and she can't tell me when or where it happened. She's oblivious to it. See what I'm dealing with? Another case...1 acre gravel parking lot...zero cars...1 telephone pole dead center with a light atop. She backs into it. She "didn't see it". There are more instances of her adventures...but you get the idea.

anyway...I got the gist now. I'm just going to have to try and reinforce with her that she needs to activate the cameras during ALL parking situations...hopefully she'll actually do it...but I'm not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

Don't forget - you also have that other feature that can "automatically" dip the passenger side mirror to show you the curb location in relation to the side of the car while reversing.

Personally I find there are so many camera & mirror views that it takes a while to actually learn how to use them the best.

The only thing I do not like is while backing up the parking sensors continue to alert you to stuff that is directly in "front" of the the car (as when backing out of the garage is sees the front wall - you are not going to hit that but you still get the warning beeps and they are distracting.

Regarding the comment about the parking assist not working - it seems to work very well for myself and also for my wife.
The first time I tried it was for a very tight parking spot - and I said to myself that "this will never work" But I was amased that it parked it perfectly the first try - and it was close enough to the other car in front while turning in that I would have abandoned the attempt myself.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
lighthousemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d/2011 BMW X5d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Also another thing to keep in mind - if you use surround view as the last setting, it'll only work in YOUR profile, depending on your key that you use to start the car with. If your wife uses HER key, then you'll need to set that option (meaning set surround view ON while in reverse), and that the driver-side mirror is selected by using the rocker switch as well as the iDrive option set to auto dip while reversing, and all in HER profile, not yours.

C-
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #12
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips folks. I'm abroad right now...and won't be home until 12Nov. Meanwhile, the wife gets to pick up the car today finally...only took 92 days from order. I'll check on all these options when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Your best bet would be to get the wheel warranty that covers curb damage

Also, there is coding that allows the cameras to be on at any speed so maybe she could turn them on as soon as she gets in the car or whenever she remembers etc...just an idea...

Past: '10 370Z Roadster, 06 G35coupe, 02 Mustang GT, 02 Focus SVT, 96 Probe GT
Appreciate 0