F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Jb4 Stage 2 Install..
proTUNING Freaks

06-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Jb4 Stage 2 Install..

Hi all..

Just installed the stage 2 ( N55 2012 335I SEDAN..AUTO) and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing I am. First off...the car now has a very loud swoosh blow off valve sound to it, almost as though I have a blow off valve, and secondly the exhaust is louder and when in idle...it burbles and crackles so loud as if I have an after market exhaust. Car has no mods at all but the jb4 stage 2. Car pulls like mad. I've never experienced such a change in any other of my 3 series ( have had 6 different n54's in the past ) I am wondering if this Is normal? I've emailed Terry over at burgertuning.. and I will have to send him my CSV log...no idea how yet...but will have to learn...lol...I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is normal, if so,,,unbelievable difference. As for the CSV log, does he mean I need to do a run with the car? or does whatever program I need to install have all the logs needed for Terry to see?

Any help on this , would be greatly appreciated

P.S No codes came up on dash. Had it installed over at VAGmotorsports experienced tuner shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztiks View Post
Hi all..

Just installed the stage 2 ( N55 2012 335I SEDAN..AUTO) and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing I am. First off...the car now has a very loud swoosh blow off valve sound to it, almost as though I have a blow off valve, and secondly the exhaust is louder and when in idle...it burbles and crackles so loud as if I have an after market exhaust. Car has no mods at all but the jb4 stage 2. Car pulls like mad. I've never experienced such a change in any other of my 3 series ( have had 6 different n54's in the past ) I am wondering if this Is normal? I've emailed Terry over at burgertuning.. and I will have to send him my CSV log...no idea how yet...but will have to learn...lol...I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is normal, if so,,,unbelievable difference. As for the CSV log, does he mean I need to do a run with the car? or does whatever program I need to install have all the logs needed for Terry to see?

Any help on this , would be greatly appreciated

P.S No codes came up on dash. Had it installed over at VAGmotorsports experienced tuner shop.
I'll probably install Stage 2 sometime this week so I'm a bit curious to the things you note myself.

Did you have stage 1 or went directly to stage 2? The 'swoosh' sound and different exhaust is an odd thing and nothing I've heard other people note. I'm not aware of the JB4 modifying any programming for the exhaust but I'm no expert. I know you hear more of the turbo whine if you change the intake, though not sure why the tune would make it louder. Could it be you just noticing it more? DPs will make it more prounounced I think also...

The fact that the car has more power is a good thing right? Haha. I'm assuming it's doing what it's supposed to.

As for as the files, I think you are supposed to connect your pc and run longs while doing some WOT runs so it can show what the car is doing when you get on it. It's in the program you ran to install the tune off the website.

Edit: Didn't read that you said you got it installed, so they probably did all that for you. Check his his forums and download the tuner program and follow the instructions. Should give you all the info you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

I had stage 1, and updated to stage 2. No other mods but the stage 2. I would have deffinately noticed prior to install the swoosh sound.. It truly sounds like an after market blow off valve. Umm...I need to keep laptop hooked up while doing runs?? I hope that's not what he means ;( hard to fit a human under my hood while holding my lap top, I didn't pass USB cable through glove box...figured I'd connect it directly to unit when firmware would need upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztiks View Post
I had stage 1, and updated to stage 2. No other mods but the stage 2. I would have deffinately noticed prior to install the swoosh sound.. It truly sounds like an after market blow off valve. Umm...I need to keep laptop hooked up while doing runs?? I hope that's not what he means ;( hard to fit a human under my hood while holding my lap top, I didn't pass USB cable through glove box...figured I'd connect it directly to unit when firmware would need upgrades.
Yea, you need it connected while doing runs to capture the data as far as I know. Don't think the unit itself can capture them then transfer them to your pc. From the website: "For datalogging you'll connect and start logging. Then do some wide open throttle runs, like 40-100mph on a safe private road, and 2000-7000rpm in 3rd gear, and finally export to CSV. Email that CSV file in to BMS if you need technical assistance. The logging will run for up to 8 minutes per log so keep that in mind when starting a log."

You wouldn't feel like taking a picture of your install would you? Mainly where they hooked the power up at the jumper terminal and where they tapped into the CAN wires on the drivers side. The install instructions are a bit ambiguous when they say connect to the blue/black wire and yellow wire since there are multiple of each and the picture isn't the greatest...

Last edited by tdizzle; 06-17-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I have the same swoosh sound as you. The JB4 tune added a few additional psi of boost. The valve is under more pressure and when it releases it is louder. As for the idle, I found after my install, it starts up and idles a bit loud and then will quiet down to a normal idle. No more burbles at idle than the MPPK though.

I also didn't run the USB cable through the glove box. There is room to run it up from under the hood by the wiper and into the passenger window. I set my laptop onto the passenger seat and do the runs as tdizzle quoted.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Forgot to mention. The pulls like mad is normal for stage two. You should be in map one or five and both add about 60 hp and over 100 lb ft of torque at the wheels. That much torque makes a very noticeable difference.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Does the jb4 stg 2 kit still require splicing/cutting or is it out of testing and true plug and play now?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Still need to splice into two wires and still in testing. But still worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Does the jb4 stg 2 kit still require splicing/cutting or is it out of testing and true plug and play now?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
rob_h10
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
Forgot to mention. The pulls like mad is normal for stage two. You should be in map one or five and both add about 60 hp and over 100 lb ft of torque at the wheels. That much torque makes a very noticeable difference.

Enjoy.
map five for the f30 335i? isn't that "Currently under development"?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

I've been told both that it is and isn't. I have loaded it and it runs fine. Im not sure if the autolearn is working 100% or what is still in development but it runs fine for me. I even loaded map 8, which isnt listed for the f30 and it appears to work just like for the non-f30 n55s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_h10 View Post
map five for the f30 335i? isn't that "Currently under development"?

Last edited by D.Mathys; 06-18-2013 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Enjoy.
I sorta heard a slight 'whoosh' when just reving it in neutral, but nothing really pronounced. No difference in exhaust that I could tell.

Is it automatically on map 1? The only place I saw to change maps was under logging. Mine was in map 1, so I left it. I'm hoping that means it will stay there when I'm not hooked up. I expected to have some save settings or something.

I wish I wouldve tried more stage 1 pulls with traction control off. From a slight roll with everything off I get wheel spin in 2nd.

I did a very unscientific 0-60 run (going uphill at the point I hit 40) and got high 4s, like 4.8-5. I did it using my cell in my hand so it's hard to see since the camera was shaking like crazy. Lots of wheelspin at launch at 2k rpm. I don't think I got that much wheelspin at that RPM on stage 1, but it's really tough to tell with my butt dyno how much of a boost stage 2 gives over stage 1 with no mods. I want to say it feels a bit stronger, but it's hard to tell.

Just the fact that I got wheelspin from a roll without brake boosting makes me think it's got a bit more punch to it.

Install was pretty easy. I need to clean it up a bit as I was a bit lazy with running the wires through the existing JB4 cable and they sent me a single wire nut so I had to pull the ole tape of the other one. Did anyone find a way to hide the wires at the CAN tap area? Mine seem to stick out like a sore thumb.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Tdizzle you change maps with the volume button and via laptop. On previous model n54s and n55s, you can do all kinds of things via the steering wheel, but currently you can only change between map 0 and 1 on the f30. worth checking out the threads on n54tech. kind of gies us an idea what could be on the way for us. Also Once you put it on map it will stay until you change it.

For the install, I ended up soldering the can wires together instead of using the nuts. You can hide it in the split loom instead of having two nuts sticking out. As for where the can wires tap, when I get more time I'm going to see if I can tap at a different location, maybe under the engine cover so its out of sight. Haven't had the time to take a look yet though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tdizzle you change maps with the volume button and via laptop. On previous model n54s and n55s, you can do all kinds of things via the steering wheel, but currently you can only change between map 0 and 1 on the f30. worth checking out the threads on n54tech. kind of gies us an idea what could be on the way for us. Also Once you put it on map it will stay until you change it.

For the install, I ended up soldering the can wires together instead of using the nuts. You can hide it in the split loom instead of having two nuts sticking out. As for where the can wires tap, when I get more time I'm going to see if I can tap at a different location, maybe under the engine cover so its out of sight. Haven't had the time to take a look yet though.
I keep an eye on the forums there, although not much goes on unless they release something new it seems.

I guess I just found the software a bit odd with the placement of map switching under data logging rather than user adjustments. It looks I'm in map 1 (which was default when I installed it), I just wanted to double check. I guess I could try swapping to 0 and note the difference to make sure.

As for as soldering opposed to the wire nuts, that's probably a better solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Tdizzle, you made the stage 2 jump???

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
Tdizzle, you made the stage 2 jump???
Yes sir. Installed it a couple days ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Still need to splice into two wires and still in testing. But still worth it
for the times I take it to the dealer I want to be able to spend not even 5 minutes pulling it off and putting it back on. I can't believe it's been in testing so long. I might just get a stage 1 for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
335if30uae
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 3351 f30 2012 & X5M F85 -2015

335i f30 AT pre 11/2012 my car has done over 15,000 km with JB4 stage 1 .. now stage 2 installed.. its great..just follow Terry's instructions... its unbelievable..now the car is a beast.. on cruising speeds < 120 km the millage also has increased..

has anyone installed PPK and JB4 stage 2 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
for the times I take it to the dealer I want to be able to spend not even 5 minutes pulling it off and putting it back on. I can't believe it's been in testing so long. I might just get a stage 1 for now.
The difference in taking off stage 1 and stage 2 for dealer visits, should be about 2 mins. Terry made the analogy about it still being in Beta to google "which was in beta for years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335if30uae View Post
335i f30 AT pre 11/2012 my car has done over 15,000 km with JB4 stage 1 .. now stage 2 installed.. its great..just follow Terry's instructions... its unbelievable..now the car is a beast.. on cruising speeds < 120 km the millage also has increased..

has anyone installed PPK and JB4 stage 2 ?
According to BMS it's almost pointless to do a Stage 2 and PPK, they said it was a waste of money since Stage 2 takes over far more control than Stage 1. They did say Stage 1 over PPK would keep some of the goodies PPK has and give you the added power of Stage 1. That said, I don't know of anyone who has PPK and Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
My guess is that it's still in Beta largely because they haven't got all the CAN dash control options figured out.

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
ossanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I really wish they have nice step by step video because I am a complete newbie. This is my 1st bmw and juicebox.

I am ordering one next month when my car coming is 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
My guess is that it's still in Beta largely because they haven't got all the CAN dash control options figured out.
That's probably a large part of the reason why. I'm betting they just haven't had the time yet. You can change from map 0> 1 or vice versa using the volume control buttons on the steering wheel but you don't have anything giving you feedback via the tach or speedo telling you what you did (you can obviously tell using your laptop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossanboy View Post
I really wish they have nice step by step video because I am a complete newbie. This is my 1st bmw and juicebox.

The instructions are pretty good actually. The video tells you how to plug in stage 1 and the pdf for stage 1 >2 upgrade can get you the rest. There are pictures to help with the splicing. The only question I really had was me being over cautious about which CAN wires to tap (the two on the end) because the picture was 100% conclusive and the instructions said colors which there are multiple of the same.

The ground and power are pretty obvious. It's one of those things you don't want to screw up but it's pretty obvious once you have everything in your hand and look under the hood. I think it took me about 15 mins to install and that was going very very slow.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Everything tdizzle said about the install, very easy. Also if you have a manual you tap the can wires in a different location that is even easier with less confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossanboy View Post

Appreciate 0