F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > By Bye to my F30
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

By Bye to my F30

Things are getting "real" as they say. I am leaving for Cali for 6 weeks on Saturday for the "shoot" many of you have heard about.

Lots of big changes.

The minute I return in April our house is going up for sale. We are moving to Michigan where I will return to the car industry.

This had us looking at how different our finances would be.

My mortgage cut in half. Literally.

Then I look at nearly $1000 in car payments, and when it would then be more than half of the new mortgage it looked silly.

So I look to the F30 which I love the way it looks and really improved how it sounds and feels. But this winter it sat in the garage too much, wanting to keep it away from salt. It also could not carry a 60" TV as I had to go home to my folks and borrow the wagon. Also, wanting to start a family this year, a wagon/hatch would really come in handy. My Roadster has really ruined me for modern BMWs and will be kept forever. I am not sure what BMW will make to have me driving a 2nd one, I will try out the new M3, M235 and maybe the someday M2 and see if I can get that buzz.

So selling the F30 when we move, means I would then pay off the wife's car. No car payments+mortgage cut in half means living like Rockstars in comparison to how we live in NJ and the wife can stop working to have a baby. Win win win.

I am going to be buying a car in cash this time.

I had a list of AWD wagons with manuals, Audi S4 and Allroad, but engine out for turbos, timing belts, A6's Air-suspension scare me too much. I like the Legacy GT wagon, but only '05 has a manual. I would do an E46 XI, but 184hp is all that comes in a wagon.

The only two FWD cars I considered are an Saab 9-5 Aero and an MazdaSpeed3. The Ms3 is a natural successor to the Viggen I had. Nice aftermarket, decent fuel economy, semi rare, quick stock(5.8 to 60/14.1@100mph). So far that's the winner, an '08-09 with 30-50k miles, throw on a Cobb tune, exhaust, FMIC and have a low 13 second car.

For now, the F30 is listed on this forum and priced aggressively. When I get back in April, I will ramp it up with listing it on Autotrader, Craigs etc. Today, I am dropping it off in NY for it's production Integral Audio component fitting. I won't drive it for 6 weeks, a good way of saying goodbye. If you know anyone interested in the car, send them my way.

It's been a great forum for me. I will stick around a bit even after the car sells.

/CSB

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Things are getting "real" as they say. I am leaving for Cali for 6 weeks on Saturday for the "shoot" many of you have heard about.

Lots of big changes.

The minute I return in April our house is going up for sale. We are moving to Michigan where I will return to the car industry.

This had us looking at how different our finances would be.

My mortgage cut in half. Literally.

Then I look at nearly $1000 in car payments, and when it would then be more than half of the new mortgage it looked silly.

So I look to the F30 which I love the way it looks and really improved how it sounds and feels. But this winter it sat in the garage too much, wanting to keep it away from salt. It also could not carry a 60" TV as I had to go home to my folks and borrow the wagon. Also, wanting to start a family this year, a wagon/hatch would really come in handy. My Roadster has really ruined me for modern BMWs and will be kept forever. I am not sure what BMW will make to have me driving a 2nd one, I will try out the new M3, M235 and maybe the someday M2 and see if I can get that buzz.

So selling the F30 when we move, means I would then pay off the wife's car. No car payments+mortgage cut in half means living like Rockstars in comparison to how we live in NJ and the wife can stop working to have a baby. Win win win.

I am going to be buying a car in cash this time.

I had a list of AWD wagons with manuals, Audi S4 and Allroad, but engine out for turbos, timing belts, A6's Air-suspension scare me too much. I like the Legacy GT wagon, but only '05 has a manual. I would do an E46 XI, but 184hp is all that comes in a wagon.

The only two FWD cars I considered are an Saab 9-5 Aero and an MazdaSpeed3. The Ms3 is a natural successor to the Viggen I had. Nice aftermarket, decent fuel economy, semi rare, quick stock(5.8 to 60/14.1@100mph). So far that's the winner, an '08-09 with 30-50k miles, throw on a Cobb tune, exhaust, FMIC and have a low 13 second car.

For now, the F30 is listed on this forum and priced aggressively. When I get back in April, I will ramp it up with listing it on Autotrader, Craigs etc. Today, I am dropping it off in NY for it's production Integral Audio component fitting. I won't drive it for 6 weeks, a good way of saying goodbye. If you know anyone interested in the car, send them my way.

It's been a great forum for me. I will stick around a bit even after the car sells.

/CSB
Congrats on the positive changes! I grew up Michigan and still have family/friends there (matter of fact, I am flying there next month). Most of my friends/family are in the auto industry as well (Ford, Lear, Suppliers).

I have two suggestions: (i) watch the pot holes and (ii) eat as much Lebanese food as you can in and around Dearborn (you'll thank me later!)

My friend currently owns an MS3 and loves it. He has had it about three years now without any problems.

Where will you be in CA? Unfortunately for you, you will see 300 F30's a day, which will remind you of your car back in NJ!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Congrats on the positive changes! I grew up Michigan and still have family/friends there (matter of fact, I am flying there next month). Most of my friends/family are in the auto industry as well (Ford, Lear, Suppliers).

I have two suggestions: (i) watch the pot holes and (ii) eat as much Lebanese food as you can in and around Dearborn (you'll thank me later!)

My friend currently owns an MS3 and loves it. He has had it about three years now without any problems.

Where will you be in CA? Unfortunately for you, you will see 300 F30's a day, which will remind you of your car back in NJ!
I went to college for 4 years in Detroit, and had a short term apartment in '07 when trying to get in with Chrysler. So I know the area well

I will also be running snows on 17" wheels, very pothole friendly.

I will be in Long Beach. I will be working 18 hour days and largely not outside without being in an secured area, so I doubt I will be seeing much of anything lol.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

Years ago I gave up the MG for a Volvo wagon and babies (3). My wife was rear-ended on a freeway entrance ramp with the babies in their car seats-the car that hit them, a Dodge Dart, was totaled, she drove home with some scratches on the bumper and no injuries to any of them. There was a slight flare to the back quarter panels so I took it in and found the car was 3" shorter than it should have been, it did it's job and absorbed the hit.
She's on her 8th. XC70 which in the T5 version is a really nice wagon. We would get her a new one every 4 years and I would drive an old one.
They all graduate from college this spring, so to celebrate no more tuition payments we got her a new XC70 and me a AH3, which I love but would not have if I still had young kids.
Celebrate that you are going to be going in to the best part of your life, being a dad, and you won't miss the car, and in about 25 years you can get one again.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post
Years ago I gave up the MG for a Volvo wagon and babies (3). My wife was rear-ended on a freeway entrance ramp with the babies in their car seats-the car that hit them, a Dodge Dart, was totaled, she drove home with some scratches on the bumper and no injuries to any of them. There was a slight flare to the back quarter panels so I took it in and found the car was 3" shorter than it should have been, it did it's job and absorbed the hit.
She's on her 8th. XC70 which in the T5 version is a really nice wagon. We would get her a new one every 4 years and I would drive an old one.
They all graduate from college this spring, so to celebrate no more tuition payments we got her a new XC70 and me a AH3, which I love but would not have if I still had young kids.
Celebrate that you are going to be going in to the best part of your life, being a dad, and you won't miss the car, and in about 25 years you can get one again.
Though I am thinking of kids and practicality, I still have my toy which is an overpowered 2 seat Roadster. It's not going anywhere.

I like Volvos and considered an V70R wagon, but they can be very $$$ to keep running with things such as the 4C suspension.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Good luck man! Im glad the stress of life up north can be relieved for you and you family a bit. Cars are only toys... And it seems like you have a good one for keepers, I wont even look back when f30 time is up...its fun, but, its definitely not a keeper.

Lots of great outdoors stuff to do in Michigan, and now that you are leaving your commie state, I suggest a large investment in guns...they will provide your family with more than just fun and protection, and its a way better investment than cars LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Lots of wise choices made, best of wishes. BTW a colleague has a new Madza3, it is not as nicely appointed as bimmers but still lots of fun if driven spiritedly.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Welcome back to auto land! You switching to supplier or Big 3? Times are better out here, with the resurgence of the industry. The number of BMW's you see during your daily commute will be cut fourfold. Property is pretty damn cheap, especially if you don't grab a place in a good school district. I run 18's in winter and 19's summer and so far, so good (knock on wood).

AWD is mighty nice to have these days, this past year was just brutal in terms of snow removal (but where was it not). Maybe I'll see you out on a track or strip sometime . Keep us posted with what you decide to go with! Exciting times indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

This sounds to me like goodbye F30 hello F80

It's only a matter of time

All the best with the move

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Congrats. Sounds like a great plan.

For AWD + manual small wagon/hatch a WRX/STi is the clear choice in my eyes. I still miss my modded "bugeye" wagon

But you know what you REALLY want to do is to go all in and get the new E63 wagon. My older brother had a kid last year and got that as his family hauler and it pulls like a train
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Welcome back to auto land! You switching to supplier or Big 3? Times are better out here, with the resurgence of the industry. The number of BMW's you see during your daily commute will be cut fourfold. Property is pretty damn cheap, especially if you don't grab a place in a good school district. I run 18's in winter and 19's summer and so far, so good (knock on wood).

AWD is mighty nice to have these days, this past year was just brutal in terms of snow removal (but where was it not). Maybe I'll see you out on a track or strip sometime . Keep us posted with what you decide to go with! Exciting times indeed.
The best part about MI over NJ in the winter is the fact that the folks in MI actually have a clue how to drive in the winter. The downside is that there's more salt on MI roads than in the Dead Sea.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
best of luck! are you selling the roadster as well? i'd be interested

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I will be working 18 hour days and largely not outside without being in an secured area, so I doubt I will be seeing much of anything lol.
I thought concentration camps are outlawed
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

As of now I am in talks with both OEM and Tier1- aftermarket companies. We'll see how it plays out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Congrats. Sounds like a great plan.

For AWD + manual small wagon/hatch a WRX/STi is the clear choice in my eyes. I still miss my modded "bugeye" wagon

But you know what you REALLY want to do is to go all in and get the new E63 wagon. My older brother had a kid last year and got that as his family hauler and it pulls like a train
I had an 05, only consider a 09+ WrX hatch which is too much money, would consider a rebuilt title though.

Would not touch an E63 as its two pedal only. Hoping for a CTSV wagon with a stick instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
best of luck! are you selling the roadster as well? i'd be interested
Lol.

Never happening. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
I thought concentration camps are outlawed
Not in the tv/movie biz it seems.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive AT Touring M-Sport

Good luck on your voyage and on your way to become a family!

I say that, a wagon is a must for more than 2 people. This is my first BMW, crossing fingers it has enough space.......in the back compartment.

But from the list of alternatives you stake out, you say you are scared of BMW`s country siblings and can`t quit understand. Cause you are mentioning SAAB at the same time......

So if you are so happy with BMW, why give it up? Why not consider F11?
A 520/528i Wagon must meet your demands?

Anyways, Gods Speed
      02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlian View Post
Good luck on your voyage and on your way to become a family!

I say that, a wagon is a must for more than 2 people. This is my first BMW, crossing fingers it has enough space.......in the back compartment.

But from the list of alternatives you stake out, you say you are scared of BMW`s country siblings and can`t quit understand. Cause you are mentioning SAAB at the same time......

So if you are so happy with BMW, why give it up? Why not consider F11?
A 520/528i Wagon must meet your demands?

Anyways, Gods Speed
Had ten saabs, they go forever and I am able to diagnose and fix myself. The Audi 2.7t is a nightmare in comparison. The 2.7_t goes through turbos and is done engine out at the dealer. There is no 520 528 wagon in the us and no manual and too big.

Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 02-20-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #21
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlian View Post
...So if you are so happy with BMW, why give it up? Why not consider F11? A 520/528i Wagon must meet your demands?
The USA/CA do not get any wagons (tourings) with manual transmission, which James requires.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Subaru Forrester or Outback.
Appreciate 0