F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > N20 Meth injection install DIY using factory windshield washer fluid tank - F series
Extreme Powerhouse

05-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

N20 Meth injection install DIY using factory windshield washer fluid tank - F series

NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this project. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

This DIY is on how to install a Snow performance Stage 2 #20010 methanol kit on an F series N20 engine (should be similar for other F series models like N55 etc) using the factory windshield washer fluid tank. The main reason for this type of install for me was to make it as hard as possible to be noticed by the boys in the blue and to not run meth hoses throughout the car to the boot.

You will need the following:

-Snow performance 20010 kit (or any similar kit-they usually just vary by the type of controller)

-Charge pipe with a 1/4" bung

-Bmw TMAP vacuum boost source adapter plate:
Name:  vaccum adapter.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  17.1 KB

-2 x self adjustable small L shaped brackets or similar and 4 x matching screws (about 3 inch long) with bolts
Name:  Steel-Adjustable-Angle-L-Shaped-Shelf-Bracket.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  11.0 KB

-Devil's Own self sealing tank tap:
Name:  devil own tank tap.jpg
Views: 3380
Size:  7.0 KB
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-tank-tap.html

-90deg elbow fitting - screw thread on one end and a 1/4" push connect on the other end
Name:  elbow 90deg.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  40.2 KB

-2 x 90 deg elbow compression fittings 1/4" on both ends or similar (you could also get another 90 deg fitting with a 1/4" tube on one end and 1/4" push connect fitting on the other - see STEP 2):
Name:  90 deg compression.jpg
Views: 3296
Size:  2.7 KB

-Some tools: jack, jack stands, sockets, ratchet with extensions, allen keys, drill, drill bits, dremel with various sanding bits, nylon hose cutting tool, soldering, solder + flux, wire strippers, electrical tape, 1 decent size cable tie and about 10 small cable ties.

THE INSTALL:

STEP 1

This is for a RHS drive car- Disconnect your battery, Jack up the car, remove front right wheel and secure the car on jack stands.

Remove all the wheel arch linings.

Locate the windshield fluid tank, you will need to sand down the part of the tank marked in green ideally with a small dremel sanding bit to make room for the tank tap head to screw in and sit flush with the tank (this is because the part of the tank tap that gets inserted into the tank is 7/8" and the tank tap head itself is a bit larger. The space is limited and there is not much room for error here.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  92.2 KB Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3290
Size:  81.3 KB Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3248
Size:  70.1 KB Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  78.4 KB Name:  5.jpg
Views: 3224
Size:  77.1 KB Name:  6.jpg
Views: 3273
Size:  112.3 KB Name:  7.jpg
Views: 3367
Size:  85.3 KB Name:  8.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  83.9 KB Name:  9b.jpg
Views: 3278
Size:  13.8 KB Name:  10.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  90.9 KB

Once there is more room you can use the round washer that comes with the tank tap to mark a center point where can start to drill the tank - start with a tiny drill bit and keep increasing until you get to a 22mm drill bit (I actually use the drill tool pictured above and it worked great). At this point you can let your washer fluid drain out and you can remove any plastic debris from the inside of the tank using your fingers, then attach the Devils own tank tap and lock into place by twisting clockwise.

STEP 2
Cut a small amount of nylon hose (about 2-3 cm) and attach it to one of the 90deg compression fitting to make a short L shaped fitting, then insert it into the tank tap (try and make it as short as possible so it doesn't hit the wheel arch lining) - you could also buy a 90deg elbow with a 1/4" tube on one end and 1/4" push connect fitting on the other that way the tank outlet should be shorter and re-fitting the wheel arch lining would be easier.
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 3278
Size:  105.3 KB

STEP 3
You need to install the vacuum boost adapter plate under your TMAP sensor on the charge pipe hook up the vacuum boost tube to the meth controller, the controller can be placed under the plastic panel on the passenger side of the engine bay as pictured
Name:  adapter location b.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  170.5 KB Name:  adapter location.jpg
Views: 3304
Size:  193.4 KB Name:  meth controller location.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  221.3 KB

STEP 4
You will need to extend the ground and 12V power cables on the meth pump. The 12V to reach the meth controller and the ground to any ground source (I used 1 of the big bolts on the strut towers, make sure you sand off the paint to expose bare metal)

Make sure you solder all wire connections and cover tightly with electrical tape.

STEP 5
Now you will mount your methanol pump on the metal bracket on the car that holds up your headlight, you will need to take your 2 L shaped shelf brackets and bend them so that they are flat. Attach the pump with both brackets and tighten the bolts, also add a decent size zip tie to help hold up the heavy pump.
Also make another short L shaped elbow as per STEP 2 and insert it to the outlet on the pump which should be facing to your front bumper bar at this stage.
Name:  11 pump.jpg
Views: 3882
Size:  117.5 KB Name:  12 pump.jpg
Views: 3346
Size:  95.4 KB

STEP 6
Route your meth nylon hose from the tank to the pump as per the photos below and also from the pump to the other side of the engine bay to your charge pipe, best to route the hose along the the rubber fitting along bottom of your windscreen. Leave plenty of extra hose length so you can make adjustments as needed.
Use small cable ties as required, make sure the hose has no kinks and is as close to the shell.frame of the car as possible so that the wheel arch lining fits well with it.
Name:  15 routing.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  92.3 KB Name:  16 routing.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  92.5 KB Name:  17 routing.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  105.1 KB Name:  routing meth hose b.jpg
Views: 3252
Size:  94.2 KB

STEP 7
Pour some water into your tank and check for leaks at the tank tap, then follow Snow performance system test procedure (while holding the outlet hose away from the car or pointing it into a bucket)- check for leaks by touching around both inlet and outlet on the meth pump.

STEP 8
If no leaks you can re-install the wheel arch lining, carefully feel around where the hose will sit and make sure it's not pinched hard anywhere. Fit your wheel back on and lower the car. Re-connect the battery.
Name:  18.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  87.3 KB Name:  19.jpg
Views: 3318
Size:  79.5 KB Name:  20.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  80.8 KB Name:  21.jpg
Views: 3160
Size:  54.0 KB Name:  22.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  83.0 KB

STEP 9
You will need to make a tank vent as dangerous fumes will build up inside it.
You can do this by taking off your windshield fluid tank cap and drill it to fit the 90deg elbow with the screw thread, attach a short piece of 1/4" meth hose and secure the end of it with a cable tie so that when the bonnet is closed it vent into the atmosphere near the bottom of your windscreen.
Name:  tank vent.jpg
Views: 4241
Size:  250.0 KB

STEP 10
Choose a meth nozzle (it's recommended to start small first, I'm using #4 225ml/min),secure the nozzle into the nozzle holder, attach the meth hose, stick the nozzle holder on your windscreen away of the wipers way with some sticky tape. make sure the meth bung is blocked off on the charge pipe, set your desired meth activation setting on the meth controller and go for a short drive and make sure you hit some boost, ensure the system works and you see water spray on your windscreen. Stop the car and check for leaks around the pump.
At this stage if all is good you can go ahead and fill your tank with a desired water meth mix (i started with 50% distilled water/50% meth), take the meth nozzle off your windscreen and attach into the charge pipe, go for a short drive again and check for leaks.
Name:  nozzle holder.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  181.1 KB

STEP 11
This is the final look, for a more stealth look you can wrap all the meth hoses in black wire loom and perhaps get a straight design nozzle holder
Name:  final look.jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  313.9 KB

I did this for cooling mostly and I feel a bit more of a pull in the high rpm range, ideally you need to setup a proper FAILSAFE and and get a custom tune.

Full stealth look coming soon once my wire loom arrives

Enjoy !

Last edited by Mid_Night_F20; 05-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: photos dont all attach correctly b
Appreciate 2
Nomana1466.00
      06-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

This is insane! Nice set up. Any problems thus far?
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Impressive job concealing all that.

When you use your windscreen washer, I guess it sprays meths on your screen, does that clean it OK?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
moonriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 -E90 -F30 - F10 520i

Great job, first time to see you set up this way!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:00 AM   #5
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive

Quick question what brand chargepipe are you running? And also where did you hook up to the meth port? I'm running a er chargepipe but my mechanic couldn't see/feel a bung port visually, he said "The smaller pipe does but that's on the other side off the turbo. I don't see why you'd inject Meth before the intercooler. That's counter productive" ... or did you get some custom throttle body spacer with port? 🙏🏼I have a n26 428ix
2014 428i xDrive F32 | Injen Cai | Er Intercooler | Er Chargepipe | Er Tic Pipe | Er Catless Downpipe | Bm3 - Cary Jordan tuned 93 oct | Gfb Dv | Ngk L/I Spark Plugs | Cf High Kick Trunk Spoiler v1 | Black Grilles | 35% Suntek Tints | Michelin pss4 | Awe Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe | Interior Mods | Mst Turbo Inlet | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Arp rod bolts | Fuel-it Stage 2 Lpfp | Braum Elite x seats | Mishimoto Oil-catch can |
Appreciate 0