F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Question re. 340i configuration: Track Handling Package with or without M Sport?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
B99
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Question re. 340i configuration: Track Handling Package with or without M Sport?

I am considering purchasing a 2016 340i. I know I want the Adaptive M Suspension which is included in the $1700 (US) Track Handling Package and a $700 option in the $2600 M Sport Package (also a stand-alone $700 option).

Although I have not tested a car with VSS yet, I am pretty sure I will like it. I am on the fence about the M Sport brakes as we have a 2014 328i Sportline with standard brakes and it stops just fine.

Here's the question: it looks to me like the M Sport package is mostly cosmetic plus the M steering wheel and M sport suspension. Given that I am planning on the adaptive suspension in any event, besides the M sport wheel, am I paying $2600 (list) for cosmetic features (which look great but...)?

FWIW, the rest of my choices:
Required:
- Driver Assistance
- Technology Package

Nice to have
- Cold weather package or heated front seats
- Lighting Package
- Enhance Bluetooth

Regarding the transmission, it will have to be the sport AT. My wife will be driving the car as well and She. Doesn't. Do. Manual. That said, the BMW sport AT is the first automatic that I have not hated. My current car (2009 Audi A4 Avant) has a terrible automatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99
I am considering purchasing a 2016 340i. I know I want the Adaptive M Suspension which is included in the $1700 (US) Track Handling Package and a $700 option in the $2600 M Sport Package (also a stand-alone $700 option).

Although I have not tested a car with VSS yet, I am pretty sure I will like it. I am on the fence about the M Sport brakes as we have a 2014 328i Sportline with standard brakes and it stops just fine.

Here's the question: it looks to me like the M Sport package is mostly cosmetic plus the M steering wheel and M sport suspension. Given that I am planning on the adaptive suspension in any event, besides the M sport wheel, am I paying $2600 (list) for cosmetic features (which look great but...)?

FWIW, the rest of my choices:
Required:
- Driver Assistance
- Technology Package

Nice to have
- Cold weather package or heated front seats
- Lighting Package
- Enhance Bluetooth

Regarding the transmission, it will have to be the sport AT. My wife will be driving the car as well and She. Doesn't. Do. Manual. That said, the BMW sport AT is the first automatic that I have not hated. My current car (2009 Audi A4 Avant) has a terrible automatic.
I'm pretty sure the M Sport package is required to get Track Handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

It wasn't a stand alone option when I bought my 340. You can check it off on the options page but then it tells you that you need the THP (or you can option it in the M-Sport).

You can get THP without M-Sport. That's what I would do if I wanted the Adaptive Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i think the 2600 is worth the cosmetic upgrades and the steering wheel upgrade. i've gone back and forth driving cars with and without the m sport steering wheel and always miss when it is not there.
those with xdrive are paying the same 2600 for the same things (no suspension upgrade with xdrive msport)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
B99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78 View Post
I'm pretty sure the M Sport package is required to get Track Handling.
I can definitely run through the config too to get a build with Track Handling Package without M Sport. I have also seen vehicles listed at my local dealership that have the Track Handling Package without the M Sport package. I confess I haven't tried configuring a can with just the adaptive suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
B99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
i think the 2600 is worth the cosmetic upgrades and the steering wheel upgrade. i've gone back and forth driving cars with and without the m sport steering wheel and always miss when it is not there.
those with xdrive are paying the same 2600 for the same things (no suspension upgrade with xdrive msport)
Thanks cmplaya. I will have to take a look at the M Sport steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

Ah, okay maybe it was adaptive m suspension then. In any case I personally think m sport is worth it for the look, but if all you're concerned about is performance maybe just go track handling. I have both on my 340 and I have no regrets. Totally a personal decision though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
B99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78 View Post
Ah, okay maybe it was adaptive m suspension then. In any case I personally think m sport is worth it for the look, but if all you're concerned about is performance maybe just go track handling. I have both on my 340 and I have no regrets. Totally a personal decision though.
Thanks, dkirsch78. I do like M Sport looks and am leaning that way but was hoping for something functional to push me over the edge.
Appreciate 0