F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 vs F31: is it worth accepting xDrive to gain the added space/flexibility?
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335i

F30 vs F31: is it worth accepting xDrive to gain the added space/flexibility?

About me: I’ve got a 2008 E92 335i, and my wife drives a 2002 E39 530i. We’ve got a 2 y.o. and are planning to have one more soon which means I’ll need a sedan or wagon to supplement or replace my E92 by mid-2017.

My wife drives 110+ miles roundtrip daily, all against traffic, so either a diesel, hybrid, or electric makes the most sense for her, and I’ll take over the E39. A Tesla is just too rich for my blood, so a diesel F30 or F31 seems like the best compromise.

However, since we’re in dry Southern California, xDrive is really not needed, and an added weight/expense I’d rather not deal with. I love the look of the F31, but I don’t like that I have to take xDrive.

I’d appreciate some feedback on whether an F30 328d might be too small for a family of 4, or is it worth compromising on xDrive for the added flexibility of a sport wagon? Is there really that much more space in the hatch vs. an F30? Other cars we’ve considered are the F25 X3 diesel and maybe the F48 X1, but that might be too small.

Any other feedback on BMW diesels and F31s in general is also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

The mandatory xDrive is collateral damage at this point. A wagon is WAY more useful when hauling around kids and their "accessories". When people tell that 2 kids is not just doubling what you're already used to, they're right! I think the expansion exponential myself.

I personally was lured to buy my first brand new BMW by the release of the F31. I just had to have one. But, like yourself, I wasn't fond of the mandatory xDrive nor the automatic. I ended up with a 335i (I have other vehicles for kid duty - but they're much bigger now too). After living with the 335i, and having driven F31 loaners, I have to say that I'm not as put off by the xDrive and auto in the F31s as I thought I would be. I like the 328d a little better than the 328i, but they're both very nice and have excellent dynamics.

As an aside, I bought a Suburban when my daughter was about 5 months old. I honestly don't know how we would have survived without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Note that interior space in F48 will be very close to that of F31. It's all engineered around the idea of maximizing the utility, while compromising on what BMW used to represent. If you don't care about the latter, F48 could be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The mandatory xDrive is collateral damage at this point. A wagon is WAY more useful when hauling around kids and their "accessories". When people tell that 2 kids is not just doubling what you're already used to, they're right! I think the expansion exponential myself.

I personally was lured to buy my first brand new BMW by the release of the F31. I just had to have one. But, like yourself, I wasn't fond of the mandatory xDrive nor the automatic. I ended up with a 335i (I have other vehicles for kid duty - but they're much bigger now too). After living with the 335i, and having driven F31 loaners, I have to say that I'm not as put off by the xDrive and auto in the F31s as I thought I would be. I like the 328d a little better than the 328i, but they're both very nice and have excellent dynamics.

As an aside, I bought a Suburban when my daughter was about 5 months old. I honestly don't know how we would have survived without it.

Thanks, that's what I thought about the utility aspect of the wagon. An SUV or van makes sense, but neither I nor my wife want something too big. We recently rented a current gen Altima and that thing was a boat vs our E39!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Note that interior space in F48 will be very close to that of F31. It's all engineered around the idea of maximizing the utility, while compromising on what BMW used to represent. If you don't care about the latter, F48 could be a good choice.
Good points, and that's why the F48 is an interesting alternative. However, with her long commute, I really want to get a diesel (plus all that low end torque). Maybe if BMW actually gives us a diesel option here, that could be a way to go here.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M2530Z View Post
Good points, and that's why the F48 is an interesting alternative. However, with her long commute, I really want to get a diesel (plus all that low end torque). Maybe if BMW actually gives us a diesel option here, that could be a way to go here.
Not in F48. The 28i is going to be the only model for quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Based on the things you've said I think the xDrive is worth the compromise to get all the other utility. Get the M Sport package with adaptive suspension and you'll be in good shape.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Based on the things you've said I think the xDrive is worth the compromise to get all the other utility. Get the M Sport package with adaptive suspension and you'll be in good shape.
Agreed.

Do not buy into the hybrid hype, do not be that guy hauling 2 kids around in a X6/Q7/Etc bloated SUV. LOL

FYI, M-sport is really just an appearance package, it does NOT come with the M adaptive suspension in the Xdrive's, you can add the DHP package to any line as far as I recall and that's the best suspension you can get on the X-drives.

But the M-sport does make the wagon look even better and it's a minor up-charge from either the Luxury or Sport line package.

AWD is not just for snow, so even though you are in SoCal it's not a complete waste. Handling will improve, even though it will be slight with the mild system BMW uses it will be there. Just slap summer rubber on it and smile.

And for the 110+ mile round trip commute, the 42+ highway MPG will be much appreciated. I've gotten over 48MPG on several long trips, and I wasn't driving economically and the car was loaded up. Yup, a 4000lb AWD wagon with half cargo load and two full size adults in rolling hills traveling 75-80MPH can pull 48MPG.

I had an X1 for a loaner a month after we got our F31 and I hated it, it handled like an SUV, was the size of a Corolla and was just terrible. I doubt the X3 would be any better for you other than a slight bump in size.

A F31 will drive like a car which means your soul won't be crushed riding around in a wobbly, leaning SUV.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not in F48. The 28i is going to be the only model for quite a while.
Yeah, that's what I figured
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yeah, I just wasn't sure if the F31 really offered that much more space/flexibility vs the F30.

Yup, that's the way I'd like to configure the F31, with M Sport and Dynamic Handling Package
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Agreed.

Do not buy into the hybrid hype, do not be that guy hauling 2 kids around in a X6/Q7/Etc bloated SUV. LOL

FYI, M-sport is really just an appearance package, it does NOT come with the M adaptive suspension in the Xdrive's, you can add the DHP package to any line as far as I recall and that's the best suspension you can get on the X-drives.

But the M-sport does make the wagon look even better and it's a minor up-charge from either the Luxury or Sport line package.

AWD is not just for snow, so even though you are in SoCal it's not a complete waste. Handling will improve, even though it will be slight with the mild system BMW uses it will be there. Just slap summer rubber on it and smile.

And for the 110+ mile round trip commute, the 42+ highway MPG will be much appreciated. I've gotten over 48MPG on several long trips, and I wasn't driving economically and the car was loaded up. Yup, a 4000lb AWD wagon with half cargo load and two full size adults in rolling hills traveling 75-80MPH can pull 48MPG.

I had an X1 for a loaner a month after we got our F31 and I hated it, it handled like an SUV, was the size of a Corolla and was just terrible. I doubt the X3 would be any better for you other than a slight bump in size.

A F31 will drive like a car which means your soul won't be crushed riding around in a wobbly, leaning SUV.
Totally agree with you about the SUV. Diesel's the way to go with the long drive, although I know BMW isn't quite as established as Mercedes (i.e., N57 issues), at least here in the U.S. And I don't want a Prius...now that would be soul crushing!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Rautha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328ixDrive touring

I have two children aged 9 and 6 and the F31 is just right. No need for a van or SUV with just two kids. Two car seats fit just fine. Now that they are in boosters you can fit a 3rd (as long as they aren't too large) person in the back seat as well albeit not comfortably. The cargo space is great, especially for a long trip. Folding back part of the rear seat you can still carry two kids and and more cargo. And when you need to make a run to the Home Depot, you can fold the entire back seat down. I think its the way to go. The X1 doesn't really have that much more space in the back seat and the cargo area is larger mainly because of the added height. I had one as a loaner recently and even my wife commented "What is the point of this. I guess its for people who think they won't look cool in a wagon". It was an E84 which really looked like it was made with parts from the E91. In fact the wheelbase was the same between those two. It really was a jacked up shortened E91 with the N20 engine and ZF 8HP gearbox. I hear the F48 is better but I have just looked at it and not driven it.

Nice thing is it will drive and handle like the sedan (with xDrive of course). I think the added utility of the wagon is worth the mandatory xDrive, even in California. Just my thoughts...good luck with the decision! I have no regrets about my F31.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Can anyone comment on the pre vs post LCI VSS for the F31 xdrive?

Struggling to find a post LCI F31 328 xdrive with track package to test drive here in socal
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Can anyone comment on the pre vs post LCI VSS for the F31 xdrive?
Yes:

Highland Pete has already explained to you everything there is to explain.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yeah, I just wasn't sure if the F31 really offered that much more space/flexibility vs the F30.

Yup, that's the way I'd like to configure the F31, with M Sport and Dynamic Handling Package
Bear in mind as well (from memory) the F31 has a slightly longer wheelbase resulting in a couple of additional inches of legroom in the rear seat. This will be a KEY bit of information when dealing with rear-facing infant seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
wagondrvr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive Sportwagon

Quote:
Except for 2016 there is no more DHP, unfortunately. To get the Adaptive-M suspension, you need either M-Sport first and then add the suspension for an extra $700, or the Track Package (which IIRC isn't available on the diesel).

There are other threads here with the complete ordering/option guide. Just make sure you have the correct options to get what you want.

I got a 2015 F31 328d w/ DHP this summer, and I love it. I test drove the X1 & X3 and they were nice, but still drove like SUVs. It's awesome for how much & varied stuff I can haul around (tho I don't have any experience loading car seats and kids).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY2014 328d xDrive touring

Just wanted to chime in that I love my wagon and I highly recommend it to anyone. I didn't opt for the msport package but I did get the performance package which basically offers everything the msport offers except for the cosmetic changes, sports seats and the stearing wheel. It has VSS, adaptive suspension and sports auto-transmission with the paddles on the stearing wheel. Other than that it's fully equipped, hud, cameras, SLI.

it's an awesome daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Yup absolutely love my F31...after my M3 it's the best car I've ever owned, super practical, good on gas and a blast to drive...totally recommended if you want more cargo space while still keeping something that performs well on the road!
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Bear in mind as well (from memory) the F31 has a slightly longer wheelbase resulting in a couple of additional inches of legroom in the rear seat. This will be a KEY bit of information when dealing with rear-facing infant seats.
You're thinking F34, not F31.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're thinking F34, not F31.
Yep. It's been a while since I've paid attention. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagondrvr View Post
Except for 2016 there is no more DHP, unfortunately. To get the Adaptive-M suspension, you need either M-Sport first and then add the suspension for an extra $700, or the Track Package (which IIRC isn't available on the diesel).
Well, DHP was a $1000 option that added the adaptive suspension and the steering upgrade. So it looks like based on the website that you can't get upgraded steering adjustment anymore but the price is only $700 so that makes sense. But the adaptive suspension is the same as what was installed with the DHP? Only now it is tied to the M-sport package as a requirement as well, shrewd decision BMW. No more Luxury line's with good suspensions.

Man I really wish they would give us the 5er Touring diesels over here.......
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #22
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333
Quote:
Agreed.

+1

I refuse to go SUV, and I'd recommend the same to someone with any reservations about them. Unless you really need the space, or need to tow large payloads, it sounds like you'll be happier in an xDrive wagon than in an SUV.

I really wish there was a good wagon option that's bigger than the 3, other than the Tesla/E350, but right now that's pretty much it. But if you're just looking in the 3 series size segment, the F31 is unbeatable imho. Plus it's sexy as hell for a wagon. Or for any car, really.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0