F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any suggestions on the best way to track a new car order through the processes.?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #45
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
...it looks like you specified your F30 down to the colour of the stitching on the Cashmere Merino leather with an exception (amongst others) that the handbrake gator was to be "as Dakota". Plus, no rear centre headrest etc. If that's true, it's seriously cool! Didn't know you could go that far...
Er what? I just specified Cashmere and assumed that was that...

Ive just done a translation of the whole bottom section of the document on the VIN archive website and yes it seems you're right. Black Dakota gaitor. Hmm, not 100% happy about that. If Id know it could be in Cashmere too, Id have specced it.

This raises an important point others may want to consider. My dealer never went into that level of detail with me.

I know Im being a little precious about this, but thats the problem with configurators. Weve all done it, spend hours on packages and options and finance etc etc and when it comes to doing a deal with the dealer, we arrive pretty much there in terms of spec and so there isnt much discussion on the day of ordering. It was all about the money.

What all dealers should do is say right, Mr Knowitall, lets just go through each and every item to make 100% sure you know what youre getting. Joking aside, if hed done that with my Online Entertainment, Id have taken it off. To be fair I didnt ask to go through everything but then again I wasnt aware of the depth of individuality one could go to.

But if Id known I could have gone all Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen about the stitching, Id have had a field day. Even the stitching on different parts could I think be specified, eg the quilting (door cards??) stitching is listed as in cream, and actually that would have looked good in Criollo.

But what actually happened is that I came to the dealer all assertive saying Ive done my research and I know what I want so all you have to do Mr Dealer is get me the price I want.

Maybe this is a lesson for all those about to order.

Ill see how it all looks in a couple of weeks, but if there are bits that I could have specced (leatherwise) and Ive not got it, I may be ever so slightly crestfallen. Only a bit, but, well you know.
Don't worry, the stitching for the leather and things like the Dakota leather for the gaiter are all as BMW decide. There isn't that much level available. The bit at the bottom is more for information than what you could have had if you'd so chosen.

The online entertainment though is all down to you I'm afraid
      11-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #46
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
I’ll see how it all looks in a couple of weeks, but if there are bits that I could have specced (leatherwise) and I’ve not got it, I may be ever so slightly crestfallen. Only a bit, but, well you know.
PurpleTT, I just wrote a long response to this, but lost it

Effectively, I bought individual too and didn't get the option to specify which bits were which colour either, so I don't think you missed out at all.

If you look at the BMW Individual Apple App, you will see the possibilities, but I don't know what market that is for, certainly not the Oz one! Even down to your name signed on the headrests, from memory!

So, maybe it's only possible in Germany, who knows, but don't cut yourself up about it
      11-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #47
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Comforting words, thanks.

As RJB says this level of detail wasn't available to pick 'n' choose from so no harm done. I can always get a gaitor made up to match... how sad would that be!

Simon, I'll have a look at that app - how can that be more advanced & detailed than the main configurator website - seems odd.

Maybe it's only if you go Individual on a 5, 6 or 7 series you get to choose what Daisy the cow's last meal was.

But I will be picking up this point when I collect to ascertain the truth behind the situation. Maybe one for my salesman's boss in the back office.
      11-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #48
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
Comforting words, thanks.

As RJB says this level of detail wasn't available to pick 'n' choose from so no harm done. I can always get a gaitor made up to match... how sad would that be!

Simon, I'll have a look at that app - how can that be more advanced & detailed than the main configurator website - seems odd.

Maybe it's only if you go Individual on a 5, 6 or 7 series you get to choose what Daisy the cow's last meal was.

But I will be picking up this point when I collect to ascertain the truth behind the situation. Maybe one for my salesman's boss in the back office.
Oops! Me and my big keyboard. Sorry!
      11-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Spoke to the dealer today, somehow my delivery date has been pushed back until January 2nd!! Not happy at all. I was pretty much promised the car for this year. He keeps assuring me that it's likely to move forward as that's just a holding date so should change when it's being built etc. Does anybody know if this is usually the case? Can't get my head around how people ordering the same model after me are getting their order so much earlier.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #50
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's also strange that everyone else has a VIN to track their car with but my dealer said mine hasn't even been allocated a VIN number yet. Can someone clear this up for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #51
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad
It's also strange that everyone else has a VIN to track their car with but my dealer said mine hasn't even been allocated a VIN number yet. Can someone clear this up for me?
Don't worry, I'm still waiting for my VIN and my delivery date hasn't budged since the day I ordered the car exactly 3 months ago today.

As far as I remember, the VIN will be assigned 1-2 weeks before the production starts. My order was locked this week so hopefully I'll get my VIN soon.

With a bit of luck I'm within 6 weeks of delivery. It has been a very long wait!!
      11-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Don't worry, I'm still waiting for my VIN and my delivery date hasn't budged since the day I ordered the car exactly 3 months ago today.

As far as I remember, the VIN will be assigned 1-2 weeks before the production starts. My order was locked this week so hopefully I'll get my VIN soon.

With a bit of luck I'm within 6 weeks of delivery. It has been a very long wait!!
Ok well at least that clears that up slightly. So strange how the timescales vary from dealer to dealer when the car is coming from the same place. My dealer seems confident it will come forward but I'm not holding my breath!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok well at least that clears that up slightly. So strange how the timescales vary from dealer to dealer when the car is coming from the same place. My dealer seems confident it will come forward but I'm not holding my breath!
I've been assured on several occasions since ordering that the date will probably be earlier than those quoted. So far it's not happened. I'm just at the point where all I can do is wait, there's nothing I can do to change anything so there's no point in me getting stressed by it.

I keep telling myself that all good things come to those who wait and boy will this be good when it does arrive!!
      11-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #54
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've been assured on several occasions since ordering that the date will probably be earlier than those quoted. So far it's not happened. I'm just at the point where all I can do is wait, there's nothing I can do to change anything so there's no point in me getting stressed by it.

I keep telling myself that all good things come to those who wait and boy will this be good when it does arrive!!
I think everyone is in your position right from signing on the dotted line! All we can do is wait but we build it up more and more to make the wait even worse. If only I could be content with the car I have now or if I wasn't so impatient. This whole process actually puts me off new cars!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think everyone is in your position right from signing on the dotted line! All we can do is wait but we build it up more and more to make the wait even worse. If only I could be content with the car I have now or if I wasn't so impatient. This whole process actually puts me off new cars!
I know, I've built my car on the configurator more times than is reasonable to admit to, read the brochures cover to cover and looked through the accessory catalogue until it's come apart.

I hate the wait but I'm used to it now. Of course, now I'm trying to work out what accessories I need or if I can persuade the wife that the 20" wheels are justifiable instead. Still, takes my mind off waiting even if it will end up costing a fortune
      11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #56
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know, I've built my car on the configurator more times than is reasonable to admit to, read the brochures cover to cover and looked through the accessory catalogue until it's come apart.

I hate the wait but I'm used to it now. Of course, now I'm trying to work out what accessories I need or if I can persuade the wife that the 20" wheels are justifiable instead. Still, takes my mind off waiting even if it will end up costing a fortune
I think we both need to hang our heads in shame when it comes to obsession levels by the sounds of things. I'm the same, I must have pictured my car with and without every M Performance accessory. The amount of hours I've spent trawling the Internet for information, prices and insurance quotes is actually sickening. Anything to preoccupy our minds until the inevitable delivery date! I just wish it would hurry up for both our sanities sake!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Another quick question related to delivery dates. When the dealer told me estimated delivery date was 2nd January, does that mean the day I collect it? Or just the date that it arrives at the dealer to be prepped up?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Any update on your production date yet DaveA? I still haven't had an update on mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #59
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
I think we both need to hang our heads in shame when it comes to obsession levels by the sounds of things. I'm the same, I must have pictured my car with and without every M Performance accessory. The amount of hours I've spent trawling the Internet for information, prices and insurance quotes is actually sickening. Anything to preoccupy our minds until the inevitable delivery date! I just wish it would hurry up for both our sanities sake!
guys, I can ASSURE you that you're not unique
      11-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #60
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Another quick question related to delivery dates. When the dealer told me estimated delivery date was 2nd January, does that mean the day I collect it? Or just the date that it arrives at the dealer to be prepped up?
By the sounds of it your car is due week 1 which is w/c 30/12 so it really could be either delivery or handover.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt either way. The only thing you can be sure of is that you can be sure of nothing. Throw in Christmas and the New Year and it may slow things down even more.

The wait and lack of information is a killer ain't it
      11-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #61
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've run insurance quotes almost on a weekly basis. Sticking with my current insurer is the cheapest option at an increase of only £170. Bargain!

I've also bought the 20" wheels and M Performance kit since ordering. Now it's just deciding how I want the different parts of the kit painting. That seems to be my main focus of how I pass the time now. I've still got 5 weeks to go though! Help!
      11-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #62
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

It's the words jump forward that don't help as I was told the same. Ordered my GT 15th Sept. Told 24th Dec but it will usually jump forward. In my mind jump forward meant a month. Here we are 15th Nov and no VIN yet although apparently it is moving forward in production.

Had I not been told jump forward I would have settled on Christmas and got on with it. Not helped by friend ordering his f31 30th Sept and it's ready now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #63
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_e71 View Post
It's the words jump forward that don't help as I was told the same. Ordered my GT 15th Sept. Told 24th Dec but it will usually jump forward. In my mind jump forward meant a month. Here we are 15th Nov and no VIN yet although apparently it is moving forward in production.

Had I not been told jump forward I would have settled on Christmas and got on with it. Not helped by friend ordering his f31 30th Sept and it's ready now.
The thing is they seem to keep promising that the production will be earlier than the original estimate. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I was at the dealership yesterday and asked about this and was told that they may have used up their allocation of pull forwards which is why mine is still in the waiting stage. The one thing that has changed is my spec is now locked in so at least there's a tiny bit of light at the end of this stupidly long tunnel

For some reason I really can't wait till Christmas this year
      11-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #64
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

yes I am assuming locked down for changes is the change they are talking about on mine.

Oh well I'll leave it now and wait until Chrstmas, just a shame as m current company car goes back next week so I will be carless for a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #65
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_e71 View Post
yes I am assuming locked down for changes is the change they are talking about on mine.

Oh well I'll leave it now and wait until Chrstmas, just a shame as m current company car goes back next week so I will be carless for a month.
My dealer is lending me a courtesy car for a month before delivery! give it a try
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #66
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Already asked. Already been told no.
Appreciate 0