F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Parkview & BMW Toronto - fees on car buying and leasing
proTUNING Freaks

04-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Thanks for all the info.

Although I 'got a deal' from Parkview initially, makes me think twice.

I know the negotiating game is part of the business when getting a vehicle, usually, I give the SA one chance for their all in, call their manager, make nothing on the sale of the car price.

However, the additional mandatory fees, would seem to be a negotiation buffer.
      04-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I ordered my X3 in February. At the time, they charged me for Ride Green (which is really just Nitrogen, although all the marketing material implied that you were getting Road Hazard Warranty with it, and some kind of Carbon Offset), as well as for a DataDot antitheft marking.

Quinn Group also raised their freight/PDI fees (one of them, I forget which one)

for the DataDot, I'd like to point out that you can get a discount on your car insurance. Make the dealer give you the certificate as proof for your insurance company.

My other beef is that they didn't give me that certificate on delivery and I had to chase them for two weeks.. how many of these charges are slipped on because they have too many clients who don't notice or bother.. do they even run the paperwork if nobody follows up on it?

Last edited by pokerface; 04-17-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Is Ride Green non-negotiable with dealer? I found it useless as if you are on the road and most gas stations don't have Nitrogen air for tire services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I ordered my X3 in February. At the time, they charged me for Ride Green (which is really just Nitrogen, although all the marketing material implied that you were getting Road Hazard Warranty with it, and some kind of Carbon Offset), as well as for a DataDot antitheft marking.

Quinn Group also raised their freight/PDI fees (one of them, I forget which one)

for the DataDot, I'd like to point out that you can get a discount on your car insurance. Make the dealer give you the certificate as proof for your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

it's perfectly fine to mix nitrogen with regular air. Lots of researches had been done. There was even a Q&A on the Toronto Star's wheel section this past weekend that suggested the same finding.

If other dealers are charging it, tell them to put regular air in your car and it's a fact that it will not void any warranty. If any dealers claim it will, then ask them to provide proof from BMW Canada for such claim. If they cannot provide, then it's not mandatory. For the record, I did not pay such bogus fee on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
Is Ride Green non-negotiable with dealer? I found it useless as if you are on the road and most gas stations don't have Nitrogen air for tire services.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Fifth Gear recently busted some of the myth on Nitrogen inflation. Worth spending 5 minutes to watch:
Unless it's pure, unadulterated N2 then it's not Formula 1 tech in your tires.

Last edited by CanadianDriver; 04-15-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Hi All, one question about dealing with different SAs.

Let's say if you walk into a dealer and didn't know any SAs ahead of time, then the front desk connect you with one. You then work with him and find out that he is not that good on getting what you want, so you want to try a different SA from the SAME dealer. How do you get the 2nd SA to work with you? Since the second SA will not likely work with you since he doesn't want to compete with the first SA.

I found that if you didn't know anyone from the dealership and got a bad fish first try by luck, but knowing there are 20 SAs there and anther SA may be good, but you may have lost your chance with that dealer all together, because next time you come, no other SA will take you on as a client?

How do you guys deal with this situation? I had other SAs, and after they see I have work with someone before, they will just direct me back to the same SA?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #29
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:

Let's say if you walk into a dealer and didn't know any SAs ahead of time, then the front desk connect you with one. You then work with him and find out that he is not that good on getting what you want, so you want to try a different SA from the SAME dealer. How do you get the 2nd SA to work with you? Since the second SA will not likely work with you since he doesn't want to compete with the first SA.

I found that if you didn't know anyone from the dealership and got a bad fish first try by luck, but knowing there are 20 SAs there and anther SA may be good, but you may have lost your chance with that dealer all together, because next time you come, no other SA will take you on as a client?

How do you guys deal with this situation? I had other SAs, and after they see I have work with someone before, they will just direct me back to the same SA?
you could always give them a different name/phone number.
cause when they input your name or phone number they will see that you got a quote from which SA and then most likely give you something similar pricing wise or send you back to that SA.
unless they remember you by your face
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I had that experienced @ BMW Toronto, I ended up asking to deal directly with the Sales Mgr.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #31
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I had that experienced @ BMW Toronto, I ended up asking to deal directly with the Sales Mgr.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I can't defend some of these fees but the M5 shouldn't have a Green Levy fee. The X5M/X6M do and M3 Cab but that shouldn't

Either that sales person was lying or don't know what they are doing.

Last edited by TObimmer; 04-26-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

well then, you should inform the Quinn Group of such error. I have already confirmed with TC and there is no such Green Levy fee of $3000.

As for Orich, I think he will still try your dealership and if you guy still insist the levy, he will simply move on to another dealership. Your lost is other's gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObimmer View Post
I can't defend some of these "fees" as an employee but the M5 shouldn't have a Green Levy fee. The X5M/X6M do and M3 Cab but that shouldn't

Either that sales person was lying or don't know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #34
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep

Unless I was dealing with him personally, it wouldn't be my loss LOL!

I think I've proven I don't BS so tell him PM me.

Quote:
well then, you should inform the Quinn Group of such error. I have already confirmed with TC and there is no such Green Levy fee of $3000.

As for Orich, I think he will still try your dealership and if you guy still insist the levy, he will simply move on to another dealership. Your lost is other's gain.

Last edited by TObimmer; 04-19-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

So true !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObimmer View Post
Unless I was dealing with him personally, it wouldn't be my lose LOL!

I think I've proven I don't BS so tell him PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So true !
no offense but just curious if TObimmer is a sales manager.
- if yes, then great for the community to have a no-BS manager to buy from
- if no, then how can she guarantee there won't be BS from her boss when she goes for approval?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No, for sure. I think I know who he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
- if no, then how can she guarantee there won't be BS from her boss when she goes for approval?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep

Not a sales manager...just an eager and knowledgeable young man working for referrals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post

Last edited by TObimmer; 04-26-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #39
greengoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

As a BMW SA - I can confirm the Green Levy was more than likely an error. When building a quote in the software we use it automatically comes up and the SA has to unclick it. He more than likely forgot, or didn't notice. There is no way the Sales Manager would proceed with that in - as the Dealer would be in a lot of hot water once the client confirms it is not subject to such a tax.

btw - it does NOT apply to the M3 Cab either

and TObimmer is far from a Sales Manager....
      04-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #40
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep

Check again Michael...the M3 cab does apply for the Green levy :P

Far superior? Sales managers are people who couldn't make it in sales and just brown nosed the owners much better lol Just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose View Post
As a BMW SA - I can confirm the Green Levy was more than likely an error. When building a quote in the software we use it automatically comes up and the SA has to unclick it. He more than likely forgot, or didn't notice. There is no way the Sales Manager would proceed with that in - as the Dealer would be in a lot of hot water once the client confirms it is not subject to such a tax.

btw - it does NOT apply to the M3 Cab either

and TObimmer is far from a Sales Manager....

Last edited by TObimmer; 04-26-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Shep1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i msport;135i m convertible

The Quinn Group which owns BMW Toronto, Parkview and BMW Grand River (in Kitchener) have certainly rampled up these bogus fees. For my last car that I bought last year (2013 335 m sport), I went to BMW London because, despite being a repeat customer with the Quinn's, they did not treat me like one when I was in the process of ordering it. Like others who have experienced it, the fees were incredible from the Quinns. So I walked away from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #42
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY2014 328d xDrive touring

all this talk about nitrogen and air ..

air is 70% nitrogen to start with. why would someone pay 400$ for 100% nitrogen? it has nothing to do with riding green. All that's involved is that when a tire is filled with 100% nitrogen humidity doesn't affect the pressure as much throughout the year. So the assumption is that a properly pressured tire will run more efficiently therefore use less gas. Anyone checking their tire pressure regularly and maintaining the proper pressure themselves will achieve the same results and pocket 400$ and whatever future fees to re-inflate the tires..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #43
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
The ride green fee = nitrogen air in tires.

If I were to make a deal TODAY with the Quinn Group, I would have simply negotiated with the bottom line, meaning crossing out all these bogus fees + x% off the listed price. If they don't like it, there are other dealers out there.

Both Parkview & BMW Toronto & BMW Waterloo are no longer the preferred dealers in my book with that kind of sales practice.
I'm certain they call it Ride Green to mislead the customer into thinking it is some kind of mandatory environmental levy.
      05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #44
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

+1 agree. Initially, I thought it was some sort of new gov't levy tax thing, since the Quinn Group has never charged nitrogen air before.

Extremely sneaky way of doing business now.
Appreciate 0