F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > More F30 Squeak and Rattle Fixes for you Guys.
Studio RSR

01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
More F30 Squeak and Rattle Fixes for you Guys.

As it got colder here In the region, naturally the plastic inside these cars gets very cold and stiff. I discovered a few more rattle fixes for you guys.

As always not all of you may experience these rattles. In this thread Im going to post up 2 fixes and Ill post up another one tomorrow as I didnt take photos of the 3rd fix and I reassembled the car due to time constraints.

Only tool needed in these 2 fixes are

1. Flat head screwdriver
2. Foam tape, or squeak and rattle tape as I used in all of my fixes.

The 1st one was happening as my car's console was flexing, the I Drive controler aluminum trim piece was squeaking so to speak. I took this off and added foam so it sits on this instead of cold hard plastic.

The 2nd one is inside the console, its a very easy fix just follow the picure. For this one you really dont need any tools at all. Just you're fingers.

I did these and my car has never been so quiet before, and rattle free. I suggest doing this cold or not.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 01-27-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
jgonzal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

dd1981,

Many thanks for the tips. Very helpful. Can you let us know where to get squeak and rattle tape?

jgonzal
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Greatly appreciate it these fixes! keep em up!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgonzal View Post
dd1981,

Many thanks for the tips. Very helpful. Can you let us know where to get squeak and rattle tape?

jgonzal
I get it from work its so cheap and a ton of it litterally gets thrown away. I know many have been substituting foam, but if anyone likes, I can ship you guys a couple of sheets no charge, just pay for shipping. You can PM if you like.
      01-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX View Post
Greatly appreciate it these fixes! keep em up!
Its my pleasure, I have one more I will post up tomorrow when I take pictures.
      01-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
jgonzal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I get it from work its so cheap and a ton of it litterally gets thrown away. I know many have been substituting foam, but if anyone likes, I can ship you guys a couple of sheets no charge, just pay for shipping. You can PM if you like.
I will PM you. Thanks

jgonzal
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

dd1981, you 're my Idol!!!!!!! Ill do it on week end.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post
dd1981, you 're my Idol!!!!!!! Ill do it on week end.
LOL
      02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
LOL
Another rattle fixed, thank you very much!!
There's another one i can't find source. Is around cluster / steering Wheel. Any ideas?
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another rattle fixed, thank you very much!!
There's another one i can't find source. Is around cluster / steering Wheel. Any ideas?
thanks!
If its the steering wheel and you have the ZF trans with shifter paddles, those paddles are very flimsy and hollow the tend to vibrate. I havent tried to take mine apart yet but they definetely vibrate a bit. I honestly dont see an easy fix for this without taking the air bag out or the wheel off, so I just left it alone beacuse it doesn't do it too much on my car but if you listen for it its there. Next time tap on one in the back of it and you will see what Im talking about.

THe cluster area may be the bezel from your heads up display thats a relatively easy fix just wedge foam/tape in there and it makes it tigher and it should go away. THe dash nav/non nav screen tends to flex and bind making a creak sound. Mine does not do it but I have read a ton of people on here complaining about it.
      02-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
If its the steering wheel and you have the ZF trans with shifter paddles, those paddles are very flimsy and hollow the tend to vibrate. I havent tried to take mine apart yet but they definetely vibrate a bit. I honestly dont see an easy fix for this without taking the air bag out or the wheel off, so I just left it alone beacuse it doesn't do it too much on my car but if you listen for it its there. Next time tap on one in the back of it and you will see what Im talking about.

THe cluster area may be the bezel from your heads up display thats a relatively easy fix just wedge foam/tape in there and it makes it tigher and it should go away. THe dash nav/non nav screen tends to flex and bind making a creak sound. Mine does not do it but I have read a ton of people on here complaining about it.
Thanks for your answer! here are my comments:

I haven't noticed that, let me try it and let you know the results.
THe cluster area may be the bezel from your heads up display thats a relatively easy fix just wedge foam/tape in there and it makes it tigher and it should go away.
Do you think is necessary to remove cluster? If so how can i do it?

THe dash nav/non nav screen tends to flex and bind making a creak sound. Mine does not do it but I have read a ton of people on here complaining about it.
Mine does, but it already fixed it
Thanks a lot again! Have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your answer! here are my comments:

I haven't noticed that, let me try it and let you know the results.
THe cluster area may be the bezel from your heads up display thats a relatively easy fix just wedge foam/tape in there and it makes it tigher and it should go away.
Do you think is necessary to remove cluster? If so how can i do it?

THe dash nav/non nav screen tends to flex and bind making a creak sound. Mine does not do it but I have read a ton of people on here complaining about it.
Mine does, but it already fixed it
Thanks a lot again! Have a nice day
Hi!
I already made testing with shifter paddles, but the rattle is not coming from there I think is comming probably from this areas, any clues?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Hi!
I already made testing with shifter paddles, but the rattle is not coming from there I think is comming probably from this areas, any clues?
Thanks!
I have rattle and creeking coming from these areas too.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I have rattle and creeking coming from these areas too.
Let's wait if someone can help us bro
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Let's wait if someone can help us bro
haha I hope so! It's driving me mad!

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
haha I hope so! It's driving me mad!
dd1981 is the one!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:

The 2nd one is inside the console, its a very easy fix just follow the picure. For this one you really dont need any tools at all. Just you're fingers.
Trying my best to "pull" the console back but it won't seem to budge... Any more tips on this one? Don't wanna break a tab or something...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I have a rattle coming from the driver side door, turned out to be the door panel. I grabbed the edge of the bottle/storage compartment and jerked it back and forth, it wasnt sitting tight alright. Did this on all the door panels and found that the rear right was also not fixated. Will have this fixed at the dealer, but I guess its pretty easy to put in some of that foam there. Thats probably what they'll do as well.

If you didnt get what I meant I can post a pic to show when I have the time.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I have a rattle coming from the driver side door, turned out to be the door panel. I grabbed the edge of the bottle/storage compartment and jerked it back and forth, it wasnt sitting tight alright. Did this on all the door panels and found that the rear right was also not fixated. Will have this fixed at the dealer, but I guess its pretty easy to put in some of that foam there. Thats probably what they'll do as well.

If you didnt get what I meant I can post a pic to show when I have the time.
Had the same issue in the winter time. I never took pictures to do a DIY because it was so cold I broke a retaining clip due to frigid conditions so I wasn't about to take everything back apart. But it was the panel clips that go into the door shear metal. They were moving around quite a bit in their carriers and caused a creak. All I did was jam my trusty rattle tape to make them robust and no more problem. If anyone is interested I can take apart the panel now that its warm out.
      06-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Had the same issue in the winter time. I never took pictures to do a DIY because it was so cold I broke a retaining clip due to frigid conditions so I wasn't about to take everything back apart. But it was the panel clips that go into the door shear metal. They were moving around quite a bit in their carriers and caused a creak. All I did was jam my trusty rattle tape to make them robust and no more problem. If anyone is interested I can take apart the panel now that its warm out.
Make like Nike, and just do it

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Make like Nike, and just do it
Agreed
Appreciate 0