F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Building a new 340i (feedback appreciated)
ARMA SPEED

02-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK

Building a new 340i (feedback appreciated)

Hello folks, new to the board and hopefully will be a proud 340 owner within the next few months. I've gotten TONS of useful information reading through these threads, so huge thank you for that. I'll try to keep this post as short as I can:

I'm in the market for a new 2017 340i xDrive 6MT. It's going to be a special order of course because of the manual tranny. I've owned a Subaru STI for the last ~6 years. The STI is a blast, but I've been looking to upgrade to a BMW for years, just could never justify the price tag w/ the options, etc. I live in Maryland so about 5-6 months out of the year we are definitely at risk for sub 40-degree weather, in which case the performance tires are utterly useless. Believe me, I was stupid enough to attempt driving in performance tires in the winter and I'll NEVER do that again. This all leads me to several questions I have with my forthcoming order. I'll lay out the build below and will state my concerns with some of the (pricey) options I'm debating. I appreciate candor as always so fire away!

Model: 340i xDrive in Manual Transmission (I absolutely want a 6-speed, but hoping I adjust quickly after driving more forgiving Japanese manuals for the last 15 years)

Color: debating between Black Sapphire Metallic and Mineral Gray Metallic

Wheels: My biggest and probably most costly unknown right now. I'm not a fan of keeping and rotating out summer and winter tires (normally I go for the A/S), but the 19" 442 mixed perf non-run flats look so damn good that I'm actually considering it this time around. Wasn't sure if it was worth the $1700 added cost of the Track Handling Package though. Not to mention, you seem to lose some of the amenities of the M Sport Package if you choose the Track package instead (or maybe I'm mistaken there). Based primarily on the fact that this car would be my daily driver, the 18" M Star-Spoke 400M w/ All Season Tires seem to be the safe, less costly choice, but obviously the lower performers. Thoughts/preferences?

Leather/Upholstery: Debating between Black Dakota Leather w/ Dark Oyster highlight OR Coral Red w/ Black highlight. I've always had dark interior, the red looks great online but wasn't sure if I'd ultimately be into it (I need to go see it in person). Some of the pics I've seen on here look as if the coral red is almost a bright red which I'm not really a fan of. Again, the black is the safe choice, but interested in others opinions....OR should I just go with the black Sensatec and put the extra $ toward the Track Handling package?

Trim: Aluminum Hexagon w/ high-gloss Black outline

Packages:
--Driver Assistance Package
--Possibly the Track Handling Package
I'm assuming I still get the M Sport Amenities even with the Track Handling Package?

Options:
-M Performance Power & Sound Kit (coming from an STI, I definitely want this, but I'm assuming it would be best suited with the track handling package, correct (better tires, thicker brakes, adaptive suspension)?)
-Carbon exhaust tip finishers
-Navigation System
-Heated Front Seats
-Black Kidney Grilles
-Stainless Steel Pedals

So yeah my biggest unknowns right now are 1) the wheels (all season vs mixed performance as a daily driver in Maryland), in other words Track Handling Package or not; 2) The Leather (black vs. red) OR go w/ black Sensatec and put $ toward Track package; 3) MPPSK, coming from an STI that is no slouch and sounds decent, is the MPPSK worth the $3K upgrade? I'm leaning toward yes.

Overall looking at this being well over the $60K mark w/ taxes, tags, etc....a hefty price tag ($20K more than my capable STI) so I'm obviously trying to make an informed decision here . Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Just ordered with the 19s 442M.
I plan to rotate to a full wheel/tire setup here in Chicago winters. I like the 400M wheels but the 442M are perfect with the blue Track Pack M brakes
Cant go wrong with either Black Saph or MIn Grey.
Interior from options u listed def go Coral Red. Its the right amount of red and goes well with both ur Ext choices.
I have not driven a MPPk car but the 340s I have driven are fast enough for me.
Also be sure to get the lighting package, the standard lights are lame
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks much dude--yes the M brakes w/ the 442's are frikin sweet, hard for me to refuse. I've been seeing lots of love for the Coral Red on here, too, which is encouraging. Will look into the lighting package a little more....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
Hello folks, new to the board and hopefully will be a proud 340 owner within the next few months. I've gotten TONS of useful information reading through these threads, so huge thank you for that. I'll try to keep this post as short as I can:

I'm in the market for a new 2017 340i xDrive 6MT. It's going to be a special order of course because of the manual tranny. I've owned a Subaru STI for the last ~6 years. The STI is a blast, but I've been looking to upgrade to a BMW for years, just could never justify the price tag w/ the options, etc. I live in Maryland so about 5-6 months out of the year we are definitely at risk for sub 40-degree weather, in which case the performance tires are utterly useless. Believe me, I was stupid enough to attempt driving in performance tires in the winter and I'll NEVER do that again. This all leads me to several questions I have with my forthcoming order. I'll lay out the build below and will state my concerns with some of the (pricey) options I'm debating. I appreciate candor as always so fire away!

Model: 340i xDrive in Manual Transmission (I absolutely want a 6-speed, but hoping I adjust quickly after driving more forgiving Japanese manuals for the last 15 years)

Wheels: My biggest and probably most costly unknown right now. I'm not a fan of keeping and rotating out summer and winter tires (normally I go for the A/S), but the 19" 442 mixed perf non-run flats look so damn good that I'm actually considering it this time around. Wasn't sure if it was worth the $1700 added cost of the Track Handling Package though. Not to mention, you seem to lose some of the amenities of the M Sport Package if you choose the Track package instead (or maybe I'm mistaken there). Based primarily on the fact that this car would be my daily driver, the 18" M Star-Spoke 400M w/ All Season Tires seem to be the safe, less costly choice, but obviously the lower performers. Thoughts/preferences?

Leather/Upholstery: Debating between Black Dakota Leather w/ Dark Oyster highlight OR Coral Red w/ Black highlight. I've always had dark interior, the red looks great online but wasn't sure if I'd ultimately be into it (I need to go see it in person). Some of the pics I've seen on here look as if the coral red is almost a bright red which I'm not really a fan of. Again, the black is the safe choice, but interested in others opinions....OR should I just go with the black Sensatec and put the extra $ toward the Track Handling package?

Packages:
I'm assuming I still get the M Sport Amenities even with the Track Handling Package?

Options:
-M Performance Power & Sound Kit (coming from an STI, I definitely want this, but I'm assuming it would be best suited with the track handling package, correct (better tires, thicker brakes, adaptive suspension)?)
-Navigation System
-Heated Front Seats
-Black Kidney Grilles
-Stainless Steel Pedals

So yeah my biggest unknowns right now are 1) the wheels (all season vs mixed performance as a daily driver in Maryland), in other words Track Handling Package or not; 2) The Leather (black vs. red) OR go w/ black Sensatec and put $ toward Track package; 3) MPPSK, coming from an STI that is no slouch and sounds decent, is the MPPSK worth the $3K upgrade? I'm leaning toward yes.

Overall looking at this being well over the $60K mark w/ taxes, tags, etc....a hefty price tag ($20K more than my capable STI) so I'm obviously trying to make an informed decision here . Thanks in advance!
Couple things:
No loss in content with the track package, instead adds bigger brakes, adaptive suspension, sport steering. The only "loss" is when paired with msport the additional cooling precludes adding adaptive cruise control
M power and sound kit is power upgrade and variable sport exhaust system
Go for the 19s and change out the tires for high performance all seasons
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I have 442's that I'm using as my winter wheels. Gonna put a pilot Alpin pa4 on them. Run my Bbs in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:10 AM   #6
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys--yeah I'm likely going for the 442s and will replace with 18" A/S in the winter. We don't get a ton of snow around here so I'd take my chances leaving the wheels on year round, I would just need the traction of the A/S for Nov-Apr when temps stay around 40 or below (except for this year, warmest winter that I can remember).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Quote:
Thanks guys--yeah I'm likely going for the 442s and will replace with 18" A/S in the winter. We don't get a ton of snow around here so I'd take my chances leaving the wheels on year round, I would just need the traction of the A/S for Nov-Apr when temps stay around 40 or below (except for this year, warmest winter that I can remember).
Have you looked at continental dws? Sounds like yours have the perfect application for them. Here in tn we have roughly 5-6 cold months. Snows as early as October and as late as April although not as common
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
Have you looked at continental dws? Sounds like yours have the perfect application for them. Here in tn we have roughly 5-6 cold months. Snows as early as October and as late as April although not as common
Yeah man, actually I have the Conti DWS 06s on my STI now--they're great. I was actually thinking of buying those again later this year (granted I have a new 340 by then). I'm assuming those 18" DWSs would fit on the 340 even though I'm pursuing the 19" mixed performance option--probably a dumb statement on my part, but when I did a search on Tire Rack for 340 non run flats A/S, the Conti's didn't come up in the search results.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Yeah man, actually I have the Conti DWS 06s on my STI now--they're great. I was actually thinking of buying those again later this year (granted I have a new 340 by then). I'm assuming those 18" DWSs would fit on the 340 even though I'm pursuing the 19" mixed performance option--probably a dumb statement on my part, but when I did a search on Tire Rack for 340 non run flats A/S, the Conti's didn't come up in the search results.
They should come up for the 340 in staggered 19 size (stock track pack), several members here run them..

Personally I am planning on the pilot sport A/S 3+

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=57430
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
They should come up for the 340 in staggered 19 size (stock track pack), several members here run them..

Personally I am planning on the pilot sport A/S 3+

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=57430
Awesome, thank you for the tire info! It was a close choice for me between the michelins and the conti's for my STI. Can't go wrong either way IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT xdrive, 2015 STi

wow revelator - you could be me! I've been driving an STi for the past 5 yrs and ordered a 340i xdrive 6MT 4 weeks ago. I had many of the same issues you are going thru. Here's how I handled them

1. Interior - I too was going to go all sensatec and save some bucks but by the time I finished I couldn't justify spending just over 60k on a car with vinyl seats. So I went with black leather - only because everytime I have had a non-black interior I have regretted it after around 6 months. just too dang hard to keep good looking.

2. Wheels/tires. I have Msport and track handling and am getting the 19 inch 442s with staggered runflats. I have already decided that those wheels and tires are going into storage. I have purchased 437m oem wheels from a guy on the M3 forum and will be wrapping them in conti dws 06s and leaving them on year round. I don't track and have great familiarity with the dws and think they drive great. I also have a crosstrek for the really bad snowdays. If I were really smart I would have just gone with the 18 inch wheels that come with the TH package. I didn't think it thru tho. Not that I don't like the 442s, but I want something a bit more aggressive - the offset of the oem 437s (not the reps) looks perfect to me, plus they are forged and pretty light for 19 inch wheels.

MPPSK - definitely wanted this as I am always wanting more power. And with a warranty. This puts the whp prob close to 380 - 390. You can do better with JB4 and dinan - but JB4 voids warranty and I don't want to bother with going somewhere else to the Dinan mods - been there done that with my STi. 380-90 is just fine for me and the B58 is supposed to be a real gem in power delivery. The warranty is a big deal to me. Back in STi land the EJ engines would break pretty regularly - replacing them isn't too expensive but doing so in a BMW would be a different story. I do think the B58 is built to a much higher standard than our beloved EJ - with forged internals and much better at sustaining higher HP numbers.

Anyway - very excited for you and for me! to be going this route. My car is currently in South Africa awaiting a big boat to take it home - prob wont get here for 3-4 weeks. I have the wheels and msport shift knob/boot waiting to go on. Also gonna have front wrapped with Xpel. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Packages:

Options:
-Navigation System
-Heated Front Seats
-Black Kidney Grilles
-Stainless Steel Pedals

I got my 340 after about 5 years in a Subaru too. Although I came from a Legacy GT (WRX engine, not the STI), so not exactly the same. Here are my thoughts on your build:

Manual Transmission: Compared to the Subie trannys, the BMW feels a little notchier but much more precise. The Msport pkg throws are shorter than the Subie's, even with the Short Throw Shifter Kits you might have had (or at least I did). But the clutch engagement is MUCH longer, and makes fast shifts a little trickier to get right. Overall, I like the manual in the 340. Considering the clutch pedal stop mod that others on this forum have recommended but haven't tried it yet.

Color: I think Grey looks better than the Black IMHO. But since I had to order mine anyway, decided to go with the EBII color.

Wheels/Tires: I think the MPSS tires that come with the Track Package are great, so I'm doing the all-season tires for November thru March and will switch back to my summers for the warm weather in Richmond. Only knock for me with the MPSS tires (other than the need for another set) is they got kind of noisy after about 10k miles on them. Still handle great, but definitely louder than when new. The 18's in sport plus already are kind of a firm ride, not sure I'd go 19s but maybe they're ok.

Interior/Leather: Couldn't tell enough of a difference personally between the SensaTec and the Dakota leather, but went with the Dakota anyway to get the Saddle Brown color. Happy with it so far; have had a little ink transfer on the driver's bolster, but probably my fault and it's cleaned up when I've tried.

Trim: Don't care. Honestly couldn't tell you which one my car has. Anthracite maybe?

Packages:

Msport: Got this - even though it's pretty much all cosmetic. Wish they wouldn't have gone so overboard with the M logos. Note to BMW: You can put 1000 //M s onto the car, and still no one thinks it's an M3....
I got the cold package to get the heated wheel. One of the things I love the most. Definitely recommend if you're already thinking heated seats. (only another $300 or so?)

Debated Nav vs Tech Pkg. Both are expensive. But the HUD is SO COOL! Absolutely worth it, if budget allows. I literally never look at the actual speedo anymore. Super helpful. Also comes with Nav and projects turn by turn up onto the HUD as well. Can't recommend this enough.

Track Pkg - I think it's worth it. I don't know if the car will ever see a track, but the brakes are fantastic, and the MPSS tires are probably a $600 or so upgrade all by themselves over the run-flats. I actually like the 18" 398 wheels, so I'm pretty happy with this package too.

Driver's assist - good
Drivers assist plus - didn't get this. Wish I had for the 360 deg camera.

Lighting - didn't get this either.

MPPSK - you can always add this later. For a manual, it only gives you another 25 FtLbs of torque... Not worth it IMHO. I may do the Dinan or JB4 later, but one of the reasons i like this car is that it's quieter than my Subie with the Nvidia exhaust/downpipe and the Cobb AP3.

Options:
I got black grilles and black tailpipe tips. Makes it look good with the shadowline Msport window treatment.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMAF View Post
wow revelator - you could be me! I've been driving an STi for the past 5 yrs and ordered a 340i xdrive 6MT 4 weeks ago. I had many of the same issues you are going thru. Here's how I handled them

1. Interior - I too was going to go all sensatec and save some bucks but by the time I finished I couldn't justify spending just over 60k on a car with vinyl seats. So I went with black leather - only because everytime I have had a non-black interior I have regretted it after around 6 months. just too dang hard to keep good looking.

2. Wheels/tires. I have Msport and track handling and am getting the 19 inch 442s with staggered runflats. I have already decided that those wheels and tires are going into storage. I have purchased 437m oem wheels from a guy on the M3 forum and will be wrapping them in conti dws 06s and leaving them on year round. I don't track and have great familiarity with the dws and think they drive great. I also have a crosstrek for the really bad snowdays. If I were really smart I would have just gone with the 18 inch wheels that come with the TH package. I didn't think it thru tho. Not that I don't like the 442s, but I want something a bit more aggressive - the offset of the oem 437s (not the reps) looks perfect to me, plus they are forged and pretty light for 19 inch wheels.

MPPSK - definitely wanted this as I am always wanting more power. And with a warranty. This puts the whp prob close to 380 - 390. You can do better with JB4 and dinan - but JB4 voids warranty and I don't want to bother with going somewhere else to the Dinan mods - been there done that with my STi. 380-90 is just fine for me and the B58 is supposed to be a real gem in power delivery. The warranty is a big deal to me. Back in STi land the EJ engines would break pretty regularly - replacing them isn't too expensive but doing so in a BMW would be a different story. I do think the B58 is built to a much higher standard than our beloved EJ - with forged internals and much better at sustaining higher HP numbers.

Anyway - very excited for you and for me! to be going this route. My car is currently in South Africa awaiting a big boat to take it home - prob wont get here for 3-4 weeks. I have the wheels and msport shift knob/boot waiting to go on. Also gonna have front wrapped with Xpel. Congrats!
Dude, thanks so much for the info. Glad to see another (former) Subby lover on here. I'm probably looking to order within the next few weeks. Sounds like our builds are quite similar, I'm sure she'll be a gorgeous ride.

I've been reading that things like leather and nav can help the resale value, and I also couldn't see spending $60K+ on a damn car that doesn't have real leather seats. Still not sure if I'm into the red though, I need to go to the dealer this weekend to see the Coral Red in person. I'm used to keeping it basic w/ black.

While on the wheels, the 437s are absolutely sick--how come those are not an option on the 3-series build? Am I missing something? Looks like they were only available on the M models. Pardon my ignorance as I'm quickly learning the bimmer backgrounds. I'll be more than content w/ the 19" 442s with the M brakes though, but if I had to choose I'd also go w/ the 437s.

Re the MPPSK, my biggest motivator was that it doesn't void the warranty. I was always too scared to tune the Subby--I even went so far as plunking $500 on the Cobb tuner and never used it (later sold it for half the damn price). Not to mention, I think I've watched almost every MPPSK vid on youtube, it sounds frikin killer so I had to have it.

I hope your new ride arrives quickly! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
I got my 340 after about 5 years in a Subaru too. Although I came from a Legacy GT (WRX engine, not the STI), so not exactly the same. Here are my thoughts on your build:

Manual Transmission: Compared to the Subie trannys, the BMW feels a little notchier but much more precise. The Msport pkg throws are shorter than the Subie's, even with the Short Throw Shifter Kits you might have had (or at least I did). But the clutch engagement is MUCH longer, and makes fast shifts a little trickier to get right. Overall, I like the manual in the 340. Considering the clutch pedal stop mod that others on this forum have recommended but haven't tried it yet.

Color: I think Grey looks better than the Black IMHO. But since I had to order mine anyway, decided to go with the EBII color.

Wheels/Tires: I think the MPSS tires that come with the Track Package are great, so I'm doing the all-season tires for November thru March and will switch back to my summers for the warm weather in Richmond. Only knock for me with the MPSS tires (other than the need for another set) is they got kind of noisy after about 10k miles on them. Still handle great, but definitely louder than when new. The 18's in sport plus already are kind of a firm ride, not sure I'd go 19s but maybe they're ok.

Interior/Leather: Couldn't tell enough of a difference personally between the SensaTec and the Dakota leather, but went with the Dakota anyway to get the Saddle Brown color. Happy with it so far; have had a little ink transfer on the driver's bolster, but probably my fault and it's cleaned up when I've tried.

Trim: Don't care. Honestly couldn't tell you which one my car has. Anthracite maybe?

Packages:

Msport: Got this - even though it's pretty much all cosmetic. Wish they wouldn't have gone so overboard with the M logos. Note to BMW: You can put 1000 //M s onto the car, and still no one thinks it's an M3....
I got the cold package to get the heated wheel. One of the things I love the most. Definitely recommend if you're already thinking heated seats. (only another $300 or so?)

Debated Nav vs Tech Pkg. Both are expensive. But the HUD is SO COOL! Absolutely worth it, if budget allows. I literally never look at the actual speedo anymore. Super helpful. Also comes with Nav and projects turn by turn up onto the HUD as well. Can't recommend this enough.

Track Pkg - I think it's worth it. I don't know if the car will ever see a track, but the brakes are fantastic, and the MPSS tires are probably a $600 or so upgrade all by themselves over the run-flats. I actually like the 18" 398 wheels, so I'm pretty happy with this package too.

Driver's assist - good

MPPSK - you can always add this later. For a manual, it only gives you another 25 FtLbs of torque... Not worth it IMHO. I may do the Dinan or JB4 later, but one of the reasons i like this car is that it's quieter than my Subie with the Nvidia exhaust/downpipe and the Cobb AP3.

Options:
I got black grilles and black tailpipe tips. Makes it look good with the shadowline Msport window treatment.

I must say again, thanks so much for the feedback--you all have been tremendously helpful as this is my first BMW (not to mention first time special ordering a car).

That's good to know about the tranny--personally I always felt that the Subby transmissions were bulletproof, but I'm glad to hear the BMW throws are somewhat shorter. I got the short shifter when I bought the STI. The tranny grabs extremely well, but I'm looking forward to the sweet ass german low end torque. I've been driving Japanese cars all my life, but every time I've driven my buddy's 335 I can't get over how much better the torque power is even though our specs are not that far apart.

I'm debating on opting for the cold weather package if I can get a price far enough below MSRP. I've never had a heated steering wheel so I wasn't sure I needed to spend the extra $. Same for the lighting package--I've been reading a lot of harsh critique on the BMW headlights so I'm leaning now toward going for the full LEDs in the Lighting package. I love the Xenon lights on the STI, bright as hell but also stylish.

Yeah the more I thought about it the Track pack seemed like a no brainer. The wheel choices are better and I've read nothing but positives on the M brakes. IMO the wheels essentially make the car so I'll certainly spring the extra $1700.

I will certainly hit you up if I have any more questions. Once again, thanks much for sharing your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #15
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post

Packages:

Driver's assist - good

Options:

I must say again, thanks so much for the feedback--you all have been tremendously helpful as this is my first BMW (not to mention first time special ordering a car).

That's good to know about the tranny--personally I always felt that the Subby transmissions were bulletproof, but I'm glad to hear the BMW throws are somewhat shorter. I got the short shifter when I bought the STI. The tranny grabs extremely well, but I'm looking forward to the sweet ass german low end torque. I've been driving Japanese cars all my life, but every time I've driven my buddy's 335 I can't get over how much better the torque power is even though our specs are not that far apart.

I'm debating on opting for the cold weather package if I can get a price far enough below MSRP. I've never had a heated steering wheel so I wasn't sure I needed to spend the extra $. Same for the lighting package--I've been reading a lot of harsh critique on the BMW headlights so I'm leaning now toward going for the full LEDs in the Lighting package. I love the Xenon lights on the STI, bright as hell but also stylish.

Yeah the more I thought about it the Track pack seemed like a no brainer. The wheel choices are better and I've read nothing but positives on the M brakes. IMO the wheels essentially make the car so I'll certainly spring the extra $1700.

I will certainly hit you up if I have any more questions. Once again, thanks much for sharing your thoughts!
Good luck!

Do a little reading up on the lighting package. The 340 comes already with an upgraded light over the base f30. I think the lighting pkg is pretty expensive for what you get.

Personally I think the tech pkg is a better use of the money (Nav, HuD, full use of the display screen w/o those black bars down the sides), etc.

Torque on the 340 is amazing. Since you're buying a 6MT you may not be king of the stoplight drag races, but you'll definitely have more fun.

Save the Manuals!!
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT xdrive, 2015 STi

Quote:
Dude, thanks so much for the info. Glad to see another (former) Subby lover on here. I'm probably looking to order within the next few weeks. Sounds like our builds are quite similar, I'm sure she'll be a gorgeous ride.

I've been reading that things like leather and nav can help the resale value, and I also couldn't see spending $60K+ on a damn car that doesn't have real leather seats. Still not sure if I'm into the red though, I need to go to the dealer this weekend to see the Coral Red in person. I'm used to keeping it basic w/ black.

While on the wheels, the 437s are absolutely sick--how come those are not an option on the 3-series build? Am I missing something? Looks like they were only available on the M models. Pardon my ignorance as I'm quickly learning the bimmer backgrounds. I'll be more than content w/ the 19" 442s with the M brakes though, but if I had to choose I'd also go w/ the 437s.

Re the MPPSK, my biggest motivator was that it doesn't void the warranty. I was always too scared to tune the Subby--I even went so far as plunking $500 on the Cobb tuner and never used it (later sold it for half the damn price). Not to mention, I think I've watched almost every MPPSK vid on youtube, it sounds frikin killer so I had to have it.

I hope your new ride arrives quickly! Cheers!

Thanks - yeah the oem 437s are nice - I think BMW wants them to stay M exclusive so doesn't give you the option. They are more aggressive offset than the oems on non M F30's and a bit wider too. I'm going with Alpine white and black. I do like the coral red and almost went that route. But the black looks the business to me. Check out saddle brown - its a really nice hue. some pics from this forum that inspired me:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:19 AM   #17
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

I'd suggest getting the Adaptive M Suspension, especially on a daily driver with the 19" run flats.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #18
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW View Post
I'd suggest getting the Adaptive M Suspension, especially on a daily driver with the 19" run flats.
Thank! Yup planning to get that as part of the Track Handling pack. I'm curious to see how this baby handles compared to my STI
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Unless I'm blind, I never saw an option for a Front Splitter on the BMW website. How are folks putting these on their builds when they order?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My 340 has been ordered! Once I have a better timeline idea I'll post in the other thread. I order on Monday (27 Feb) and got a production number that same day. The order is still processing though (i.e., not in production just yet).

340i xDrive 6MT MSport
Black Sapphire Metallic (was going to do MG but the black was too nice to pass up)
Coral Red
19" 442 wheels
Ash Grain trim
Driver Assist Pack
Track Pack
MPPSK
Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Exhaust Tips
Nav
Heated front seats
Stainless pedals
Black Grilles
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #21
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Very nice indeed! I've always had black interiors, am not a red kind of person, but after sitting in an F30 with coral red I almost ordered it. Goes really well with black, mg, silver and white, but the superman EB/CR look was a bit too much (so I went with saddle brown instead).
Also good choice on the wheels and tires. I switched the A/S RFT's for MPSS's as soon as I brought it home from European & Performance Deliveries and haven't regret it for a moment.
Appreciate 0