F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Questions about buying car at end of a lease
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #23
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Ok, that rate is pretty slick. BMW must be a lot hungrier than they were 4 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Ok, that rate is pretty slick. BMW must be a lot hungrier than they were 4 years ago.
A 25% drop in sales and losing the NA crown to Mercedes will do that to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Lot of good advice here but I do have a question. In my case, I will be approx 20,000 miles over at the end of my lease (this June). So, given the ginormous penalty it will take to get out of that I was planning on buying the car. I will speak to the dealership about doing a deal but I'm wondering, since I will officially be turning in the car to BMWFS, if I will be required to pay the roughly $4K in mileage overage fees. Any thoughts on how best to proceed (other than don't go over your miles)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #26
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Honestly the .9 percent rate has more to
Do with a glut of 3 series lease turn-ins that are super stripped down. But honestly, BMW has publicly stated they don't care about losing the sales volume lead. Their new car sales are now going for margin. They just needed a program to move CPO glut as both 5 and 3 and X3 are nearing end of the life cycle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Again, they will not negotiate off residual with Leasee.

Cannot speak to what might have happened almost a decade ago.
Are you stupid? The point is that BMWFS will not directly sell you the car at a price less than residual. However, they offer the cars to the dealership at a price that they expect to get at auction. (Usually much lower than contractual residual). Therefore, you can literally call BMW dealers with your vin and shop for who will give you the best price. Often times this is a significant discount with little effort.

The OP clearly wanted to know how to get a cheaper price than RV. This is the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #28
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
Are you stupid?
No, but clearly you are.

Quote:
The point is that BMWFS will not directly sell you the car at a price less than residual. However, they offer the cars to the dealership at a price that they expect to get at auction. (Usually much lower than contractual residual). Therefore, you can literally call BMW dealers with your vin and shop for who will give you the best price. Often times this is a significant discount with little effort.

The OP clearly wanted to know how to get a cheaper price than RV. This is the way.
Which if you were not so stupid you would realize is exactly what I detailed in this thread on 2-16-2017 in post #9 which 4 posters appreciated and others commented was sound advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #29
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
Lot of good advice here but I do have a question. In my case, I will be approx 20,000 miles over at the end of my lease (this June). So, given the ginormous penalty it will take to get out of that I was planning on buying the car. I will speak to the dealership about doing a deal but I'm wondering, since I will officially be turning in the car to BMWFS, if I will be required to pay the roughly $4K in mileage overage fees. Any thoughts on how best to proceed (other than don't go over your miles)?

Thanks
I'm also curious about this
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Honestly the .9 percent rate has more to
Do with a glut of 3 series lease turn-ins that are super stripped down. But honestly, BMW has publicly stated they don't care about losing the sales volume lead. Their new car sales are now going for margin. They just needed a program to move CPO glut as both 5 and 3 and X3 are nearing end of the life cycle.
I financed my 340 at 0.9%. Usually a great sign that there is surplus cars, and they are way overpriced to start with. Someone is paying the interest rate, so it's obviously in the sticker price.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
I don't believe that would be the case. You'll just be financing the amount that they pre-determined on your lease contract that would be the residual. If you just turned it back in, then they would say the car is worth $4k less than that number, so you'd need to cover the cost, or roll it into a new lease (ugly either way).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #32
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
I don't believe that would be the case. You'll just be financing the amount that they pre-determined on your lease contract that would be the residual. If you just turned it back in, then they would say the car is worth $4k less than that number, so you'd need to cover the cost, or roll it into a new lease (ugly either way).
Thanks. Then it's as I figured, better to buy the car out right at the end of the lease. And kids....never ever go 20K over on your lease! Bad!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #33
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is the finance rate (unless you are buying the car out for cash). BMW's best rate when I bought out my E90 was around 7% (4 years ago). My F30 was bought new last year at 0.9%.

The difference in financing over the term could basically result in you just buying a new car for almost the same amount of money at the end. Just food for thought....
I bought my car at EOL (subsequently CPO'd) for 1.9% about six months ago.
Same here. Got my 4 series cpo'ed during my buyout with 1.9. Also saved about 2k. Basically got my car cpo'ed for the residual value
      02-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #34
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Again, they will not negotiate off residual with Leasee.

Cannot speak to what might have happened almost a decade ago.
But they did with me? And i wasn't even interested in buying it. My 24 months lease was ending and i was way under miles, so was trying to extend it by a year. They offered for me to buy it at a discount without me even asking. I leased e90 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
But they did with me? And i wasn't even interested in buying it. My 24 months lease was ending and i was way under miles, so was trying to extend it by a year. They offered for me to buy it at a discount without me even asking. I leased e90 instead.
Suggest you reread post 19 before you keep going in circle.

BMW used to offer free maintanice for 4 years years when a qualifying vehicle was transferred to a second party, but that is irrelevant today.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=19

Last edited by Kabrich; 02-21-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #36
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Suggest you reread post 19 before you keep going in circle.

BMW used to offer free maintanice for 4 years years when a qualifying vehicle was transferred to a second party, but that is irrelevant today.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=19
Well you might be right, however i am just curious as to the source of your level of self confidence in this matter?
Do you work for BMWFS as the person in charge of dealing with lease returns?
Just for shits and giggles, if i call them and end up being offered a discount to buy my leased car, will you get upset?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #37
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well you might be right, however i am just curious as to the source of your level of self confidence in this matter?
Do you work for BMWFS as the person in charge of dealing with lease returns?
Just for shits and giggles, if i call them and end up being offered a discount to buy my leased car, will you get upset?
Knock yourself out. Just post your apology afterwards....something I doubt you have ever done based on your arrogance.

I had super detailed posts in 2016 going through this myself with very great details and did a large amount of background work into polices, procedures and reality.

Instead of posting you purchased 15 cent hamburgers at McDonalds in the past, try posting details of how you can purchase them for 15 cents today.

Considering your bad research in facts contained in these 2 pages, I am not worried.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #38
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
$1800 is not as generous as it used to be, it looks like BMWFS is not discounting much these days at buyout.
Quote:
In the words of Donald Trump, "fake news". BMWFS DOES NOT discount to Leasee at all. PERIOD.
No fake news at all. BMWFS needs to discount RV or else dealer cannot offer any discount off RV when selling the car back to lessee.

Even though BMWFS does not interact directly with lessee on the buyout, the lease contract is still between lessee and BMWFS. Current BMWFS policy allows dealer to be the middleman, and BMWFS agrees to release the lessee from the signed contract when dealer buys the car at a price chosen by BMWFS.

But if BMWFS does not bulge on the contracted RV, the dealer will not be able to offer any discount off RV to lessee for the buyout(unless dealer wants to lose money). In this case the dealer won't even participate in the buyout, as the lessee can pay the contracted RV directly to BMWFS to close out the lease contract.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #39
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
I'm not sure if I do buy it if I should have them CPO it or just buy an extended warranty from them.
try to get them to give you the extended warranty for free or cheap. CPO is much more extensive, such as getting new tires if yours are not up to spec. I think that is too much to ask for.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #40
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3liter1 View Post
try to get them to give you the extended warranty for free or cheap. CPO is much more extensive, such as getting new tires if yours are not up to spec. I think that is too much to ask for.
My understanding is that CPO(non-lite version) is same as Platinum 7-yr/100k, which does not cover tires.

CPO(non-lite) enrollment can cost $1500 to $2000, while Platinum 7-yr/100k ESC on a F30 is probably around $3000 negotiated.

The caveat of CPO enrollment is that dealer will go over CPO checklist and fix everything@dealer prices, e.g. tires, minor blemishes. The reconditioning charges will be added to the prices.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #41
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Knock yourself out. Just post your apology afterwards....something I doubt you have ever done based on your arrogance.

I had super detailed posts in 2016 going through this myself with very great details and did a large amount of background work into polices, procedures and reality.

Instead of posting you purchased 15 cent hamburgers at McDonalds in the past, try posting details of how you can purchase them for 15 cents today.

Considering your bad research in facts contained in these 2 pages, I am not worried.
There was nothing arrogant in my posts for me to apologize for. Additionally, i see no reason for your uncalled rudeness. If this is your normal way of communicating i feel somewhat sorry for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #42
Joe1627
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i xdrive

Competition Bmw is a take it or leave it approach very expensive
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #43
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There was nothing arrogant in my posts for me to apologize for. Additionally, i see no reason for your uncalled rudeness. If this is your normal way of communicating i feel somewhat sorry for you.
You have certainly answered one question..
Quote:
Are you stupid?
No, but CONTINUE to demonstrate to everyone you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #44
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3liter1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
My understanding is that CPO(non-lite version) is same as Platinum 7-yr/100k, which does not cover tires.

CPO(non-lite) enrollment can cost $1500 to $2000, while Platinum 7-yr/100k ESC on a F30 is probably around $3000 negotiated.

The caveat of CPO enrollment is that dealer will go over CPO checklist and fix everything@dealer prices, e.g. tires, minor blemishes. The reconditioning charges will be added to the prices.
Incorrect, major differences.

CPO covers very little.
Appreciate 0