F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is the difference in driving feel between a 328i Sport and an Audi A4 Sport?
ARMA SPEED

11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Vector
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i coupe - Space Grey

What is the difference in driving feel between a 328i Sport and an Audi A4 Sport?

I was just curious what the difference in the driving feel between the 328i Sportsline (assume the feel is very similiar to a 335i Sportsline) and the Audi A4 with Sports Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Drive 'em.... What others feel and what you'll feel could be completely different things. Do your self a favor and go drive them, all 3 that you mentioned and decide for yourself. If you read too much on here, it could influence what you think you "feel."

Assume nothing about the 335 vs 328. You can read differing opinions about handling, weight, etc... ignore those and again, drive 'em.. but the power difference is indisputable, despite how impressive the 4-banger is.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Drive 'em.... What others feel and what you'll feel could be completely different things. Do your self a favor and go drive them, all 3 that you mentioned and decide for yourself. If you read too much on here, it could influence what you think you "feel."

Assume nothing about the 335 vs 328. You can read differing opinions about handling, weight, etc... ignore those and again, drive 'em.. but the power difference is indisputable, despite how impressive the 4-banger is.
+1
      11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

ive only test driven a 328 m-sport for 5 minutes. (and im buying one).

but i own a 2010 a4 quattro sport.

the thing with the audi is they are pretty stable feeling. like planted . the AWD is like that, but on the other hand it makes it a lot less fun. the A4 is also pretty heavy.

in corners it will understeer. i've gotten my car to slip just a little in a corner, while flooring it (yeah yeah dangerous etc, but no one was around) but it will plow badly because of the bad weight balance and the suspension is tuned to understeer for people used to "audi understeering". weight balance on a 2.0t quattro is like 56/44 or something like that so its nose heavy.

in the wet or something though, it feels extremely solid (i've never driven a 328xi, but i guess i'd imagine this is more than AWD than it being an audi). but yeah... if youa re looking at a 328i vs a sport quattro a4, then thats my impression. if you are talking an A4 sport CVT well uhd otn even buy it because thats just terrible and isnt even an audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The 328i sport is more nimble from the factory.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Both are great cars. The A4 is more docile the 328i has more duality. The BMW 2 liter turbo is a pisser if you romp on her. The driving dynamics as said before of RWD vs AWD is the second biggest difference. Nothing feels like RWD but no one does AWD like Audi. I say drive both cars a few times and pick the one that sings to you there is not a bad choice here.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

First part rescinded.

Of course I'm biased but I choose a BMW for good reason. 328i feels way more nimble and powerful than the a4. Since you're in Cali, no need for an audi quattro, might as well get a normal audi which most people here get, as just for show.

Last edited by DarkTrigger; 11-28-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Vector
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i coupe - Space Grey

Thanks you guys. I was curious. Really appreciate the comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Audi AWD is so-so, it's no Subaru. Quattro with sport differential means that the traction will only up to 50% can be sent to the rear wheels if the front lose grip. In other words, 99% of the time it's a FWD vehicle. Also, only audi would make you pay for airbags!

Of course I'm biased but I choose a BMW for good reason. 328i feels way more nimble and powerful than the a4. Since you're in Cali, no need for an audi quattro, might as well get a normal audi which most people here get, as just for show.
Uh this is completely wrong. The sport diff is only the s models and can shift rear torque 100% left or right rear wheel. it is also optional.

An Audi is not a Mazda or mitsubishi or volvo or honda awd (ok maybe the haldex based unit on the tt/a3 is similar, but were not talking about those 2 not quite real audis) . Its just about as good as it gets, they are both running torsen based systems. . On an a4 2.0t the default torque split is 40 front 60 rear. Can be up to 90% rear.

I mean I own one and I think BMW s are a little more fun to drive since well rwd just is fun. But that said i don't like misinformation being spread.

Last edited by hans007; 11-28-2012 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Caput Mortuum
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco 2011

Yeah, Hans got it right.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caput Mortuum
Yeah, Hans got it right.
+1. Most of the time it operates with more of a rear bias, not front wheel, with or without sport differential, and much like BMW's x-drive.

Quattro has been around a long time and quite honestly, it sets the bar. BMW is new to the awd game by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Absolutely. Quattro is exemplary, and established the benchmark in the segment.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Okay, everyone calm down. I corrected myself. I was actually getting that info from an Audi quattro forum.

I meant to speak on the regular quattro since the sport differential is only available on the S4. It does not have a RWD bias.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
+1. Most of the time it operates with more of a rear bias, not front wheel, with or without sport differential, and much like BMW's x-drive.

Quattro has been around a long time and quite honestly, it sets the bar. BMW is new to the awd game by comparison.
How is this possible? Audi has a front wheel drive gearbox with a Transfer device for the rear wheels. It cannot possibly put more torque rear wards.

The BMW, Nissan GTR, Subaru are RWD gearboxes with transfer device for front wheels. So are in effect rear biased.

In extreme situations both can get to near 50:50 torque split, but are generally biased to the basic configuration. The only exception is those off road 4x4's that use a dedicated transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
How is this possible? Audi has a front wheel drive gearbox with a Transfer device for the rear wheels. It cannot possibly put more torque rear wards.

The BMW, Nissan GTR, Subaru are RWD gearboxes with transfer device for front wheels. So are in effect rear biased.

In extreme situations both can get to near 50:50 torque split, but are generally biased to the basic configuration. The only exception is those off road 4x4's that use a dedicated transfer case.
Please stop talking out of your ass, you're just wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro...o_generation_V
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

The Audi A4/S4 series has had a longitudinal engine layout and "real" AWD forever (originally 50/50 F/R default split, later 40/60 F/R). Only the A3/S3 and TT have used the Haldex system where it's just FWD unless there's wheel spin.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
The Audi A4/S4 series has had a longitudinal engine layout and "real" AWD forever (originally 50/50 F/R default split, later 40/60 F/R). Only the A3/S3 and TT have used the Haldex system where it's just FWD unless there's wheel spin.
Apologies was thinking of the A3/S3 system.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Until the 2008 introduction of the first all-new A4 (B8) since the A4 (B5), Audi designed drivetrains from front to back. The B5 A4 was introduced with a 50/50 power split, and because the weight distribution was dramatically forward-biased, the car plowed at the limit like it was FWD. Even the C6 A6 model in 2005 was designed like this. When Audi was designing the B8, they stretched the wheelbase six inches forward, reducing front overhang and mitigating the nose heavy feeling. To further equalize the front weight bias, Audi updated the Quattro system to operate with a 40/60 F/R torque split. This 40/60 setup had been used on a few of Audi's S and RS models as well as on the R8.

Other carmakers like Volvo still design their platforms front to back using Haldex technology, so their newer AWD systems operate in two ways. Either the cars are designed with an actively variable 100/0 F/R split or an actively variable 90/10 F/R split. Even still, only 50% of the power is able to make it to the rear wheels at any time. The systems work seamlessly, no doubt, but understeer will still occur.

To mitigate understeer further, Audi readjusted rear camber angles more negatively (like BMW's), slightly reducing the straight-line contact patch of the rear tires. The result is a still planted front end with a slightly less stable but immensely controllable rear end. This means less understeer at the limit, more oversteer (if you are skilled enough to coax it out), and incredible traction. So if you were to oversteer in an Audi, the Quattro system is designed to send power to the front wheels where there is more traction from the front tires to balance it out until the car begins to understeer. All in all, a confidence inspiring, balanced driving experience.

The sport differential is an awesome thing to have with Quattro, and completely changes the demeanor of the car. It still doesn't carve around turns like a RWD BMW, but the amount of traction available in an incredibly vast number of situations makes the Audi more controllable. This is why they always say that cars like the Gallardo and the R8 are so easy to drive. Apart from increased drag on the engine, the only downside to a car so equipped is a less rewarding driving experience. As a driver, you do less. Some like that, some don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Until the 2008 introduction of the first all-new A4 (B8) since the A4 (B5), Audi designed drivetrains from front to back. The B5 A4 was introduced with a 50/50 power split, and because the weight distribution was dramatically forward-biased, the car plowed at the limit like it was FWD. Even the C6 A6 model in 2005 was designed like this. When Audi was designing the B8, they stretched the wheelbase six inches forward, reducing front overhang and mitigating the nose heavy feeling. To further equalize the front weight bias, Audi updated the Quattro system to operate with a 40/60 F/R torque split. This 40/60 setup had been used on a few of Audi's S and RS models as well as on the R8.

Other carmakers like Volvo still design their platforms front to back using Haldex technology, so their newer AWD systems operate in two ways. Either the cars are designed with an actively variable 100/0 F/R split or an actively variable 90/10 F/R split. Even still, only 50% of the power is able to make it to the rear wheels at any time. The systems work seamlessly, no doubt, but understeer will still occur.

To mitigate understeer further, Audi readjusted rear camber angles more negatively (like BMW's), slightly reducing the straight-line contact patch of the rear tires. The result is a still planted front end with a slightly less stable but immensely controllable rear end. This means less understeer at the limit, more oversteer (if you are skilled enough to coax it out), and incredible traction. So if you were to oversteer in an Audi, the Quattro system is designed to send power to the front wheels where there is more traction from the front tires to balance it out until the car begins to understeer. All in all, a confidence inspiring, balanced driving experience.

The sport differential is an awesome thing to have with Quattro, and completely changes the demeanor of the car. It still doesn't carve around turns like a RWD BMW, but the amount of traction available in an incredibly vast number of situations makes the Audi more controllable. This is why they always say that cars like the Gallardo and the R8 are so easy to drive. Apart from increased drag on the engine, the only downside to a car so equipped is a less rewarding driving experience. As a driver, you do less. Some like that, some don't.
Very good write up.
Appreciate 0