F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Poll] Do you have rusty seat frame bases?
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Do you have rusty seat frame bases or hinges?
Yes, my seat frames are all red. 22 18.97%
Yes, but a few red spots. 44 37.93%
No, mine is clean. 32 27.59%
Don't want to look under the seats. 20 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #67
xit2050
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
As an aside, they also addressed a factory recall...electronic/firmware. I'm guessing FEM related but I'll find out when I get the car this afternoon.
Correct, it's a FEM related service bulletin.
They did mine two weeks ago... completely reset everything in the Idrive options.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #68
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post
Correct, it's a FEM related service bulletin.
They did mine two weeks ago... completely reset everything in the Idrive options.
Yup. SA confirmed it addressed issues with the wipers, other systems that might start behaving erratically. And yes, most of my iDrive settings got wiped. Fortunately, I backed up my Profile to USB and simply restored it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2ob2 View Post
Maybe there will be a new option code "NRS" in 2014 model year, for non-rusty seat base?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #70
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone have an update on replacement seat frames?
It would be very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #71
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
Does anyone have an update on replacement seat frames?
It would be very much appreciated.
Just came back from the dealer today, shockingly they did NOTHING about it. The Service Asst. Manager said this is "normal surface rust" and it is not "rust that will corrode". He said even if he sent it in to BMW Canada they would not replace it as it's not an "issue". He was a bit condescending saying in 25 years he had not been shown the underside of a seat for rust. I told him in 17 years of driving and owning cars I had never seen that kind of rust under a seat (even in my first car a 1988 Rusty Ford Tempo). Nonetheless I am not very happy about this and will once again contact BMW Canada to see what they have to say.

It's too bad, it's a wonderful car but this issue is simply unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #72
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Just came back from the dealer today, shockingly they did NOTHING about it. The Service Asst. Manager said this is "normal surface rust" and it is not "rust that will corrode". He said even if he sent it in to BMW Canada they would not replace it as it's not an "issue". He was a bit condescending saying in 25 years he had not been shown the underside of a seat for rust. I told him in 17 years of driving and owning cars I had never seen that kind of rust under a seat (even in my first car a 1988 Rusty Ford Tempo). Nonetheless I am not very happy about this and will once again contact BMW Canada to see what they have to say.

It's too bad, it's a wonderful car but this issue is simply unacceptable.
If this happens to my car, the dealership and BMW Canada will both have a real pain in the ass on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #73
GB72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red

Just checked mine, not a sniff of rust under both seats but there is a tiny amount of rust on the weld of a cross member, car is a dec 12 build.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #74
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
If this happens to my car, the dealership and BMW Canada will both have a real pain in the ass on their hands.
Yeah, I will escalate as needed. I'm not generally confrontational however I am so anal about my cars that the inability to enjoy the vehicle until it's resolved will motivate me.

BMW Canada has emailed me back with the following (names removed for privacy):
"Thank you again for contacting BMW Canada. We appreciate your additional inquiry.
We have assigned your case to Mr. (Name Here). Please allow him 5 business days to research your case and respond back to you. We appreciate your patience.
If you have any further questions or concerns, we would be happy to provide assistance. Please respond directly to this e-mail or contact us at 1-800-567-2691.

Sincerely,
BMW Canada
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #75
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I just found out that they're replacing the seat pans today. So hopefully that'll take care of all the rust.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #76
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I just found out that they're replacing the seat pans today. So hopefully that'll take care of all the rust.
Nice to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #77
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
We don't need to check our rear seats do we?
      01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #78
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Scheduled for wednesday, parts are in!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #79
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
We don't need to check our rear seats do we?
There are no seat pans under rear seats. They're just wire frame and foam. They're not structural like front seats...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #80
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
Barring a flood or tropical oceanside parking, interior parts like seat frames and hinges shouldn't rust like that in 10 years after production much less 10 weeks. Really bad steel production. I'm guessing whoever the seat subcontractor is will be building BMW a lot of replacement seats on their own dime.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #81
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I had a call from my dealer to say BMW are putting together a repair kit for these rusty seat bases. Apparently it's going to take them until the end of February to put this kit together but once it arrives at the dealer I'll get a call to take my car in and they'll fix them.

A bit of a wait but at least they're going to do something about it...
      01-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #82
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
I had a call from my dealer to say BMW are putting together a repair kit for these rusty seat bases. Apparently it's going to take them until the end of February to put this kit together but once it arrives at the dealer I'll get a call to take my car in and they'll fix them.

Thanks for the info. Great!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #83
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post

Just heard basically the same thing from my dealer in Canada as well. So glad BMW is doing the right thing, and thank you for everyone that complained! Especially that guy in Korea who destroyed his car and got everyone to check their seat frames!
      01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #84
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great news! Got this email today from the asst. Service Manager:
"Good afternoon,

Just wanted to inform you that I have ordered new seat frames for both front seats as per BMW Canada.
They are factory back ordered at the moment, but as soon as they come in xxxxxx will contact you to set up an appointment.

Regards"

So if you are in Canada and your seats look as bad as mine it seems BMW Canada will replace the seat frames. What a relief!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #85
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Great news! Got this email today from the asst. Service Manager:
"Good afternoon,

Just wanted to inform you that I have ordered new seat frames for both front seats as per BMW Canada.
They are factory back ordered at the moment, but as soon as they come in xxxxxx will contact you to set up an appointment.

Regards"

So if you are in Canada and your seats look as bad as mine it seems BMW Canada will replace the seat frames. What a relief!
That's great news! Thanks for sharing.
My car has a few red spots on both sides, and right hinge on passenger side seat is showing rust development.... and it's visible
I keep watching them to see if the rust expands or not.
We will see ^^
By the way it's too cold outside in Ottawa! -28 'C!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #86
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

My US dealer is replacing them right now as we speak...I'll take after pics and post.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #87
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
I got word back after escalating the problem to BMW NA and they informed me no action would be taken and that everything is completely normal. I explained to the lady that this is so disappointing that this is how my first experience with a BMW is going to go down.

I told her that it was like as if she had just purchased a $2500 dress and that the dress fit perfectly and looked fantastic but on the inside it had a giant stain. That giant stain couldn't be seen from the outside and there was no indication of it but she knew it was there. If she went to the dress maker and said "can I get a different dress this one has a stain on it and I paid a lot of money for this dress" with their reply being "well stains happen from time to time and they are completely normal so we aren't going to do anything about it". Now she has to keep the dress and know the stain is there and that the person who makes the dress doesnt give a shit about their product once it leaves their shop.

Thats what I feel like right now and the worst part is, the person who has my case at BMW NA is helping another forum member replace their seats as I write this. She explained to me that they have to believe the dealer in whatever they say because they are their eyes and ears on the situation at hand. Apparently the customers eyes ears and personal opinions doesnt mean a thing.
      01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #88
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
That's great news! Thanks for sharing.
My car has a few red spots on both sides, and right hinge on passenger side seat is showing rust development.... and it's visible
I keep watching them to see if the rust expands or not.
We will see ^^
By the way it's too cold outside in Ottawa! -28 'C!!!
It is great news....and it is f'n cold here. But at least it's proven that they fixed the faulty windshield washer fluid warning. It was just the stock liquid that they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
I got word back after escalating the problem to BMW NA and they informed me no action would be taken and that everything is completely normal. I explained to the lady that this is so disappointing that this is how my first experience with a BMW is going to go down.

I told her that it was like as if she had just purchased a $2500 dress and that the dress fit perfectly and looked fantastic but on the inside it had a giant stain. That giant stain couldn't be seen from the outside and there was no indication of it but she knew it was there. If she went to the dress maker and said "can I get a different dress this one has a stain on it and I paid a lot of money for this dress" with their reply being "well stains happen from time to time and they are completely normal so we aren't going to do anything about it". Now she has to keep the dress and know the stain is there and that the person who makes the dress doesnt give a shit about their product once it leaves their shop.

Thats what I feel like right now and the worst part is, the person who has my case at BMW NA is helping another forum member replace their seats as I write this. She explained to me that they have to believe the dealer in whatever they say because they are their eyes and ears on the situation at hand. Apparently the customers eyes ears and personal opinions doesnt mean a thing.
What did your seats look like? Do you have pics? I'm only wondering because I sent pictures that I took to both BMW Canada and the service manager at my dealership. The original instructions were to go to the dealership to have pics taken but it didn't make sense to me so I just sent them the ones I took on my iPhone. Once they saw the state of my car it seemed that was enough for them despite my service manager's initial assertion that it was normal. Just wanted to be sure that you had pursued all avenues.

Also, although I have never worn a dress I get your frustration 100%. Just knowing that I was sitting on a pile of rust on what was a 55k car just about ruined the car for me. I guess OCD personalities shouldn't buy first or second model year cars? Anyways, all the best of luck with this.
Appreciate 0