F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > A NEW 10.25" Android 7.1, 2GB / 32GB OPTION! CHECK INSIDE!
Studio RSR

04-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #89
jsGt
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
Well I've gone and ordered one, with DAB, hopefully will be here for next weekend.

Mick
please share your update.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #90
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Looks like I should have it on Friday, now, where did I leave my patience.....

Mick
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #91
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Would love to hear how it is working for you guys.. I am still hunting..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #92
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Would love to hear how it is working for you guys.. I am still hunting..
Same here, but I'm more and more scared away by all the issues in the Avin thread. People have bad quality sound, units not booting and weird software issues

Damn it
      04-19-2018, 02:41 AM   #93
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had an email from Avin with loads of setup information, going to make sure I take it all in before jumping in with the install, hopefully it will be ok, not sure if I'll get chance this weekend, it's classic drive it day on Sunday so weather permitting I'll get the Rover out.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #94
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Unit arrived yesterday so going to start the install, jsGt, how did you route the cable from the DAB aerial to the glovebox?

Mick
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #95
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so started the installation yesterday, having first been out to get some trim removal tools, and installed the unit fairly straightforward. Came to power it up, original radio/media played fine, nothing out of the android side, also no connection via USB. As the light was fading didn't make much progress so thought about it over night, I had checked re the optical cable but was 99.9% convinced mine didn't have it, I also hadn't connected the aux cable.
Went out this morning, stripped everything out, realised I'd plugged the USB into the wrong plug (DOH!!), connected the aux cable and switched on again. Success, everything worked, and the sound via the android side was no different to the OEM stuff so well pleased with that. USB works, reads my phone and memory stick fine (after reformatting as NTFS), picks up sat info ok and the cherry on the cake is the DAB works, just need to mount the aerial properly. Oh, unplugged the aux cable and it still works so another result.
Still need to tweak it but all in all very pleased with it, looks much better than the 6.5" screen plus now have art work for my music. Need to give it some proper testing so we'll see how it goes, glad I took the plunge and, at the moment, would have no hesitation in recommending it. Bob, seriously, I'd give it a go, I think the secret may be in taking your time, I'm a total novice at installing stuff but it was virtually plug and play, apart from the USB error...….
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, sorry I've not attached any photos, not sure how to.....
Mick
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #96
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

upload on tinypic for example and copy paste the forum code in your post and voila
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #97
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so started the installation yesterday, having first been out to get some trim removal tools, and installed the unit fairly straightforward. Came to power it up, original radio/media played fine, nothing out of the android side, also no connection via USB. As the light was fading didn't make much progress so thought about it over night, I had checked re the optical cable but was 99.9% convinced mine didn't have it, I also hadn't connected the aux cable.
Went out this morning, stripped everything out, realised I'd plugged the USB into the wrong plug (DOH!!), connected the aux cable and switched on again. Success, everything worked, and the sound via the android side was no different to the OEM stuff so well pleased with that. USB works, reads my phone and memory stick fine (after reformatting as NTFS), picks up sat info ok and the cherry on the cake is the DAB works, just need to mount the aerial properly. Oh, unplugged the aux cable and it still works so another result.
Still need to tweak it but all in all very pleased with it, looks much better than the 6.5" screen plus now have art work for my music. Need to give it some proper testing so we'll see how it goes, glad I took the plunge and, at the moment, would have no hesitation in recommending it. Bob, seriously, I'd give it a go, I think the secret may be in taking your time, I'm a total novice at installing stuff but it was virtually plug and play, apart from the USB error...Â….
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, sorry I've not attached any photos, not sure how to.....
Mick
Glad all is working good

I think I am going to bite the bullet and order the unit from Ugode. I got them to come down so I can install one for evaluation. If I can I will video the install and make that available.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #98
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

A small update, haven't had chance to use it properly in anger but just been out a couple of miles and plotted a route home, using Waze at the moment. Moved the GPS antenna to on top of the dash in the middle, helps lock on quicker and doesn't look too obtrusive. All seems to work fine, spoken instructions mute the music player, seems to play through all the speakers too, rather than just the left one as some people have said. Music also plays fine, maybe a little more bass but no complaints, not sure what to do with DAB aerial, I think I messed up with it, didn't ground the copper bit to body so it's a bit hit and miss.
Overall really pleased with it, just wondering if it seems to work ok because my car had the most basic system installed, less chance of compatibility issues? Bob, have you ordered a unit yet?

Mick
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #99
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A small update, haven't had chance to use it properly in anger but just been out a couple of miles and plotted a route home, using Waze at the moment. Moved the GPS antenna to on top of the dash in the middle, helps lock on quicker and doesn't look too obtrusive. All seems to work fine, spoken instructions mute the music player, seems to play through all the speakers too, rather than just the left one as some people have said. Music also plays fine, maybe a little more bass but no complaints, not sure what to do with DAB aerial, I think I messed up with it, didn't ground the copper bit to body so it's a bit hit and miss.
Overall really pleased with it, just wondering if it seems to work ok because my car had the most basic system installed, less chance of compatibility issues? Bob, have you ordered a unit yet?

Mick
Hey Mick,

I did order and expect to see it by Wed. I am hopefully optimistic it will be as described. Covered myself and paid through PayPal. I'll take photos and video to share with anyone interested. Should be fun to get it up and running. I will report back soon!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #100
vanillahunter
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

F30 Purchase

Quote:
Hey Mick,

I did order and expect to see it by Wed. I am hopefully optimistic it will be as described. Covered myself and paid through PayPal. I'll take photos and video to share with anyone interested. Should be fun to get it up and running. I will report back soon!
Just traded in my E46 for an F30 (don't beat me yet), I had some mechanical problems and 150k miles. Anywhooo, I am interested in this as well so I will be following. Thank you everyone!
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      05-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #101
vanillahunter
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Hey Mick,

Have you had a chance to install this? Any updates? Thank you...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #102
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillahunter View Post
Quote:
Hey Mick,

Have you had a chance to install this? Any updates? Thank you...
I plan on install tomorrow. I will keep you all posted. Looks very similar to Avin model. Will post some pics in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 01:58 AM   #103
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Following...

Sounds like the guys in China did the old bait and switch trick, I hate dealing with people like that..
      05-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #104
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Following...

Sounds like the guys in China did the old bait and switch trick, I hate dealing with people like that..
Could be.... Came with no user manual, install manual, or software. All of which seems reasonable. I sent an email to inquire which got bounced back. That's why I use Paypal..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #105
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the install completed yesterday. Here is a screenshot of the info:
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

The RAM is actually 2gb and the ROM is 32gb. Runs great so far. I was surprised to get audio from both music and video without hooking up the 3.5mm jack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #106
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

Quote:

The RAM is actually 2gb and the ROM is 32gb. Runs great so far. I was surprised to get audio from both music and video without hooking up the 3.5mm jack.
Looks good. Already written to the Chineese if they are willing to sell me one for $400 since they told you that they would do a $360 for a reseller. Don't really wanna go for the AVIN one since it has an ancient Android OS and seems a bit overpriced.

I just wonder if it will work with my ancient HU (no idea what's in the car tho) /2012 F30 last 7 VIN digits are FX59324, can't find it anywhere and don't really understand how do I even find out. If the resolution is going to be okay since the 6,5" screen has much smaller res...

EDIT: I had a chat with Avin support who said that the screenshot from the About Device indicates that it is some sort of engineering sample of the unit, not its final version. Also told me that they already have the Android 7.1 units in stock but they are testing them if they are reliable and if they can survive some extreme conditions (heat / cold) so they don't sell crap. Told me that the Android 7 units should be ready soon if everything goes well with price around $500.

Last edited by Drastaa; 05-08-2018 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #107
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastaa View Post
Quote:

Looks good. Already written to the Chineese if they are willing to sell me one for $400 since they told you that they would do a $360 for a reseller. Don't really wanna go for the AVIN one since it has an ancient Android OS and seems a bit overpriced.

I just wonder if it will work with my ancient HU (no idea what's in the car tho) /2012 F30 last 7 VIN digits are FX59324, can't find it anywhere and don't really understand how do I even find out. If the resolution is going to be okay since the 6,5" screen has much smaller res...

EDIT: I had a chat with Avin support who said that the screenshot from the About Device indicates that it is some sort of engineering sample of the unit, not its final version. Also told me that they already have the Android 7.1 units in stock but they are testing them if they are reliable and if they can survive some extreme conditions (heat / cold) so they don't sell crap. Told me that the Android 7 units should be ready soon if everything goes well with price around $500.
Interesting... I sent an email off asking about that particular thing. Thing runs flawlessly so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #108
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
What is the definition of "soon"?

Last information I got from Avin yesterday is still no ETA.
The range is from a few months to the beginning of next year...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #109
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:

I would be really interessed to read a detailed review about this Ugode headunit. Will be great if you can provide some insights and a few photos.

What about the issues other android headunits have (audio quality, GPS)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #110
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting... I sent an email off asking about that particular thing. Thing runs flawlessly so far.
I got a response to my inquiry about the AVIN comment. I was told this was in fact a final version. I could be wrong, but if I was working to corner the market for this product...:

I am hoping someone who is more android savvy can provide some insight. The only comment made back to me from Ugode was that AVIN could have jumped to that conclusion because I have the font size increased for better visibility.
Appreciate 0