F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bmw Servicing (gold Mine)
GetBMWParts

02-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Tires are not covered by the warranty at all, you can replace the tires at any shop they will need to be run flats if that's what your car came with. Unless you bought insurance for your wheels you are liable for any damage to the rims. If you replace them I'm sure it has to be OEM.
Here in LA. the streets are also a mess so I feel your pain. Good luck.
thanks for youre insight bud.

Could I get balance and alignment elsewhere aswell ? And im thinking about just buying my own tires and rims and fit them on. & put back oem when I have to return the car. Does that make sense?
You can do your balance & alignment anywhere, people have mentioned already you can buy used OEM rims... rule #1 never buy tires from the dealer, they mark up the tires really high. You will find in this forum people selling OEM rims.
Here in L.A. I get my tires from America's tires, they seem to have lower prices then tirerack.com
Good luck!!
      02-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I also suggest to find an independent shop which has RoadForce balancing machine. Getting a second opinion as suggested by others is a very good first step.
Whats roadforce balancing and thanks I will. Wondering if there is specific wheels to buy for hard roads. Are should I beef up the tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
No vibration just service due for the first time. OEM rims must be pretty cheap for this to happen so easily
Don't assume they're being straight with you...take it somewhere else! If you had a bent rim, you'd more than likely feel something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Whats roadforce balancing and thanks I will. Wondering if there is specific wheels to buy for hard roads. Are should I beef up the tires?
Hunter Road ForceŽ GSP9700 balancer - click the Locate bar to find one near you:http://www.gsp9700.com/index.htm

What is road force balancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

Some BMW wheels are "softer" than others - E30 bottle caps, for example, would bend all too easily. Run-flat tires have a sturdy sidewall, but the lower profile/aspect ratio does put the wheel in harm's way on bad roads.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #27
Bimmerius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30

Dealerships srv dept money grab..

Could you have bent wheels? Very likely (NY/NJ roads.. with run flats and low profile tire sidewalls.. = only matter of when..) but bent wheels will vibrate.

Are your tires really that low? (Srv dpts just add alignment with tires..
Measure your tirestread if it is still within lease returns limits, order a tire/wheel package on tire rack and keep oems for lease return
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #28
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Many good points here.

Yes, look for used or remanufactured OEM wheels if they are in fact bent. If you can't feel any vibration in the steering wheel the fronts are fine and you can either sit in the back and feel for vibration in the rear, or have the rims spin balanced and visually checked or have a professional shop measure the runout to see if the rears are ok. As long as the car rides smooth they are not going to check this at lease turn in.

If you have only 1 year until lease return, you could probably skip the alignment unless the current tire wear is significantly uneven - a sign the alignment is far off.

If needed, anyone with the right equipment can perform the alignment and install tires.

I would look for used BMW approved runflats online or on this forum to save the cash and the hassle of swapping tires again in 1 year.

These are all thing a standard warranty - even a great one - do not include.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #29
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

In addition to the good info above and depending on the actual Continental tires you currently have, most of them have some degree of wear warranty. assuming you don't have abnormal wear due to road damage or bad alignment and since you have about 17-18 K miles on your tire you may be able to get a prorated discount on new Continentals.

I dont know how it works for a lease vehicle, but may be worth talking to a local shop that handles Continentals or contact Continental directly

http://www.continentaltire.com/ Check the bottom of the page for:
Customer Care Email
Customer Care Phone
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #30
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerius View Post
Dealerships srv dept money grab..

Could you have bent wheels? Very likely (NY/NJ roads.. with run flats and low profile tire sidewalls.. = only matter of when..) but bent wheels will vibrate.

Are your tires really that low? (Srv dpts just add alignment with tires..
Measure your tirestread if it is still within lease returns limits, order a tire/wheel package on tire rack and keep oems for lease return
Yeah thats my plan. No I dont get vibrations and mt wheel is straight. I can drivei na straight line for a bit before it wonders left or right so I highly doubt it.

Plus I just got a rim fixed and alignment last time I took my car in. Which was in the fall.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #31
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Hunter Road ForceŽ GSP9700 balancer - click the Locate bar to find one near you:http://www.gsp9700.com/index.htm

What is road force balancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

Some BMW wheels are "softer" than others - E30 bottle caps, for example, would bend all too easily. Run-flat tires have a sturdy sidewall, but the lower profile/aspect ratio does put the wheel in harm's way on bad roads.
Thanks I appreciate it. SWhould I get rid of the low profiles?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #32
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Many good points here.

Yes, look for used or remanufactured OEM wheels if they are in fact bent. If you can't feel any vibration in the steering wheel the fronts are fine and you can either sit in the back and feel for vibration in the rear, or have the rims spin balanced and visually checked or have a professional shop measure the runout to see if the rears are ok. As long as the car rides smooth they are not going to check this at lease turn in.

If you have only 1 year until lease return, you could probably skip the alignment unless the current tire wear is significantly uneven - a sign the alignment is far off.

If needed, anyone with the right equipment can perform the alignment and install tires.

I would look for used BMW approved runflats online or on this forum to save the cash and the hassle of swapping tires again in 1 year.

These are all thing a standard warranty - even a great one - do not include.

Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #33
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
In addition to the good info above and depending on the actual Continental tires you currently have, most of them have some degree of wear warranty. assuming you don't have abnormal wear due to road damage or bad alignment and since you have about 17-18 K miles on your tire you may be able to get a prorated discount on new Continentals.

I dont know how it works for a lease vehicle, but may be worth talking to a local shop that handles Continentals or contact Continental directly

http://www.continentaltire.com/ Check the bottom of the page for:
Customer Care Email
Customer Care Phone
Appreciate it
Appreciate 0