F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My car in for warranty work and they have given me a........F30 320d
proTUNING Freaks

10-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Gareth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

The dealer placed my order for a 320D M Sport today - glad to hear some good reviews
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I dont think you will be disappointed, its a cracking engine for a 2 litre diesel. Driving it around town at 30/40/50mph (limits permitting obviously!) it is pretty good. Off the mark too is pretty rapid. Cracking low down punchy torque and makes it feel like a bigger engine that it really is. In fact my old Vectra 3.0 V6 CDTi had the same BHP, and was slower to 60.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
Gareth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I dont think you will be disappointed, its a cracking engine for a 2 litre diesel. Driving it around town at 30/40/50mph (limits permitting obviously!) it is pretty good. Off the mark too is pretty rapid. Cracking low down punchy torque and makes it feel like a bigger engine that it really is. In fact my old Vectra 3.0 V6 CDTi had the same BHP, and was slower to 60.
Looking forward to getting off the mark quickly at the severn bridge Usually pass late at night so have it to myself!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #26
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Looking forward to getting off the mark quickly at the severn bridge Usually pass late at night so have it to myself!
The toll booths at the Severn Bridge are the favourite part of my drive home. I use the old bridge so it's usually quiet whatever the time of day.

I'm currently in the gentle phase of new car ownership so I've not tried out my own 320d from there but the auto I had from the dealership while my car was in got a bit of abuse and it flew. The hire car I am currently in is a 330d M Sport and that really was a pleasure to abuse off the line.

It'll spoil my fun when they eventually remove the toll charge
      10-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
Gareth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
The toll booths at the Severn Bridge are the favourite part of my drive home. I use the old bridge so it's usually quiet whatever the time of day.

I'm currently in the gentle phase of new car ownership so I've not tried out my own 320d from there but the auto I had from the dealership while my car was in got a bit of abuse and it flew. The hire car I am currently in is a 330d M Sport and that really was a pleasure to abuse off the line.

It'll spoil my fun when they eventually remove the toll charge
Ha! I love the A449/M50 route up north also.... you don't get that off the line to 70+ but you get a nice bit of road!

I see you went a little gadget mad with the car like me! Didn't push to the Nav and Comfort access but can't wait to give the HUD a whirl!!

Last edited by Gareth; 10-19-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I love the A449/M50 route up north also.... you don't get that off the line to 70+ but you get a nice bit of road!

I see you went a little gadget mad with the car like me! Didn't push to the Nav and Comfort access but can't wait to give the HUD a whirl!!
There are some good roads around here to have some fun on. The M48 and M49 are both like private roads for all the traffic that uses them. I used to use the A449/M50 route whenever I was going up north and know what you mean

I did go crazy on the options and the gadgets are quite topped up. If you can't have a bit of fun with the spec list then what's the point??
      10-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
There are some good roads around here to have some fun on. The M48 and M49 are both like private roads for all the traffic that uses them. I used to use the A449/M50 route whenever I was going up north and know what you mean

I did go crazy on the options and the gadgets are quite topped up. If you can't have a bit of fun with the spec list then what's the point??
Think the next price option on the list had an M3 badge on the back didn't it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Interesting you went for HUD but without Nav, doesn't that mean the HUD won't have much to display other than speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Interesting you went for HUD but without Nav, doesn't that mean the HUD won't have much to display other than speed?
I did think the same.....in which case you can buy an aftermarket device for about £100 that plugs in OBD port and gives revs, speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #32
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Think the next price option on the list had an M3 badge on the back didn't it?
You may be right there, although I reckon I may have had trouble persuading the financial committee (my wife ) that it was just a normal 3 series at heart I think I did well to talk my way into getting all I did get considering she has to put up with the 7 seat family wagon. She'll get her revenge one day when the kids have grown up, although then that M3 badge will be a more realistic option
      10-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You may be right there, although I reckon I may have had trouble persuading the financial committee (my wife ) that it was just a normal 3 series at heart I think I did well to talk my way into getting all I did get considering she has to put up with the 7 seat family wagon. She'll get her revenge one day when the kids have grown up, although then that M3 badge will be a more realistic option
Why do you think there is the OPTION 320 - Model badge deletion

Tactic number 2 for the more knowledgeable fund distribution manager (wife)...

....go into BMW dealers to look at an M5, then after much protestation from said financial comittee, finally concede to an M3
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
Gareth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I did think the same.....in which case you can buy an aftermarket device for about £100 that plugs in OBD port and gives revs, speed.
It is more of case of not knowing about after market options than anything
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
penguin_of_death
Often described as A Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30, e87, e60

I wondered if the M-Performance upgrade kit might give the 320d a bit more punch at the top end.

Has anyone had this installed on an F30? (or an e90, I assume its the same kit).

My battle for a 6 cyl is looking bleak and I'm thinking a 20d with this kit may be the answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_of_death
I wondered if the M-Performance upgrade kit might give the 320d a bit more punch at the top end.

Has anyone had this installed on an F30? (or an e90, I assume its the same kit).

My battle for a 6 cyl is looking bleak and I'm thinking a 20d with this kit may be the answer.
I'm going to go for a good quality remap after I've put a couple of thousand miles on the clock. I've heard you can expect 210bhp😜
      10-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #37
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_of_death View Post

the 2.0D will never get near the 330D engine, sorry.
A remap will help but put Warrantee in jeopardy with some dealerships.
      10-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #38
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
the 2.0D will never get near the 330D engine, sorry.
A remap will help but put Warrantee in jeopardy with some dealerships.
And as I understand it there is a lot more data transfer to Germany these days once the cars are linked up. Reading an article, where detecting remaps and piggy-back devices is well on the radar these days with the car makers. BMW themselves will 'write off' the warranty, dealer may not necessarily have any say in the matter. As has been reported by users on some forums.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
And as I understand it there is a lot more data transfer to Germany these days once the cars are linked up. Reading an article, where detecting remaps and piggy-back devices is well on the radar these days with the car makers. BMW themselves will 'write off' the warranty, dealer may not necessarily have any say in the matter. As has been reported by users on some forums.

HighlandPete
Yep, many ECU's have data logging function on them too now, so they can see historical parameters like boost pressure, so not even removable piggy backs are safe. Not that they will check the logs out during routine service, but if engine or turbo goes pop, the ECU gets checked.

Also, I bet a chipped 320D will attract a higher insurance premium than a standard (but still more powerful) 330D.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
penguin_of_death
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't expect any upgrade kit will get close to a 330d. The figures for that engine are incredible.

I was just hoping it might improve acceleration through the rev range.

The BMW M performance upgrade kit doesn't affect the warranty, it's fitted by the dealer and all M performance parts have their own 2 year warranty. I think AC Schnitzer are the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
Sadly you are correct , I would love to mod mine but I think I will "leave well alone".
      10-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_of_death View Post
I don't expect any upgrade kit will get close to a 330d. The figures for that engine are incredible.

I was just hoping it might improve acceleration through the rev range.

The BMW M performance upgrade kit doesn't affect the warranty, it's fitted by the dealer and all M performance parts have their own 2 year warranty. I think AC Schnitzer are the same.
It would be worth a go, check out the prices though as it may have been better to just go for the 330D instead.
      10-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #43
penguin_of_death
United Kingdom
Rep

Found a review of the E90 tuning kit.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562073

£1200 fitted is what I've been quoted (for a manual).
Appreciate 0