F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > What if Dealer Charges incorrect Sales Tax?
GetBMWParts

04-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
jdneutron
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

What if Dealer Charges incorrect Sales Tax?

I'm getting ready to place and order and I'm getting two different Sales Tax rates in my quotes. One dealer is in DuPage County, IL, the other is in McHenry County, IL. If the dealer charges the incorrect sales tax (Chicagoland Sales Tax rates are very confusing), who's responsible? I'm assuming it's me that would have to cover the difference, but how/when would the state charge me the difference?

Is there anything I can do to make the dealer responsible for the mis-charged amount?

Any help is appreciated. The tax rate is the what pushes the one dealer into the best price category.

JD
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

You owe the tax based on where you live and not where the seller is. In your example, if you buy from the dealer with the lower rate and register the car in a location with a higher rate you owe the difference. Not being an IL resident I don't know if you need to pay up at registration or if you do it on your income tax return. In MA they ding you at the time of registration.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
jayp80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i XDrive

Just dealt with this

Everyone says you pay where you live but that's not the complete truth at least in IL, you pay by a combination of where you live and where you buy. IL sales taxes range from 9.5 to 6.5 for cars, 9.5 is for a Chicago resident buying in Chicago, 8.5 Chicago buying in neighboring counties... I had a car shipped from NJ and paid an IL usage tax. You can't register your car without showing proof that you paid or someone paid on your behalf the proper tax. In my case the NJ dealership sent me a check a month later for the overage for the taxes.
Appreciate 0