F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2013 328i as loaner - not impressed
Studio RSR

05-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #45
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
+1

Same thing could have been said about an E90 328i loaner
LOL!

I have been driving a base E90 328i loaner for about a weak. What a huge disappointment after my F30.

I have been asking myself how overall anyone could think this car was anything more but a poorly designed and implimented successor to the E46 which I drove for 10 years.

The only thing it has on my F30 is the steering, electric will do it. I still think that the E46 steering buries both E90 and F30.

I will also say the in Sport mode, my F30 starts to approach drivability, so we just need BMW to release a coding fix......

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #46
smurphy522
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
was the service covered by warranty, if not what was the damage $$$, and would you recommend keeping the car past the warranty period?

thanks
Cost $670 for the suspension work - not covered by CPO which runs out in July 2013. I have been complaining about a mechanical noise upon acceleration for over a year and finally persuaded the service manager to have it further looked into. Turns out I need new turbos! Also replaced a leaking mechatronics seal on the tranny. They've had the car for 10 days now, hoping to get a call it's all done. They had to order the turbos from Germany, so I was told.

I only have 43K on the car so can't really comment on keeping it. I plan to drive it for as long as I can - another 5 years or so? Or until it turns into a $ pit to maintain. I had an Audi RS6 Avant that did just that. That RS6 was a blast to drive but was like $1200 every 6 months for fixing/replacing this or that after I hit 80K.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
smurphy522
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosewater2 View Post
I too have an 07 335i, now out of warranty. Can I ask how many miles you had to put on yours to get to the point where you needed to replace turbos and bushings? How much is all that going to cost?

Thought the turbos were going to last the service life of the vehicle?

And it may have be overdone, but I completely agree with your assessment of the F30 328. I had a loaded example sent home with me on a possible lease, I elected against it and am still in my 335, but worrying about having to do any major service on it so still looking.
My 335 has 43K miles on it. Will be out of the CPO warranty in July. The turbos have been making noises (not the nice usual ones) for over a year now. I would estimate they were in need of replacement by 35K but it is probably related to an electrical failure that occurred when I was pulling onto a Hwy back then and the whole car cut off while I was accelerating hard. Turbos were spooling up and boom all of a sudden everything cuts off - no oil flow or cooling. It was an electrical distribution block. Ever since then the turbos were noisier. Dealer just agreed (after contacting BMW NA and asking the two service Mgrs numerous times) to look into it and well-well they're in need of replacement. The suspension bushings cost $670 (pretty damn steep IMHO) but I suspect it includes an alignment too. They also called me the 2nd day they had the car and asked if I wanted to replace both front wheels. I was like um why? They said there is a vibration @ 70mph. I have never felt that and I regularly drive at that speed and well above it on smooth concrete highways. Never have I sensed a vibration but I suspect a ploy to recoup some of the CPO warranty work they have to do now.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #48
BMWseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I accept your points, but I granted that handling feel could be different, although I wouldn't qualify that difference as being cheaper, and, yes, I didn't reference tires, and they certainly play into it. I mostly meant on the inside of the car, which I think is what the OP was getting at, though I could have misinterpreted him.
don't mean to hijack the thread, but wow, great use of language on an internet forum. Most of the time, the posts here are littered with grammatical mistakes (and/or are completely incomprehensible)
Appreciate 0