F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Nbt Retrofit
Studio RSR

10-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT 2012

Nbt Retrofit

Im trying to retrofit the NBT, Bigger Screen and itouch controller from I think it was just HU ENTRY (no nav). I have managed to install the NBT and Screen, but I have had a few issues. Ive listed all of them below, any help will be appreciated.

Hardware
1, Itouch just isn’t recognised, I thought that this would just be easy enough. Remove the old controller and plug in the itouch however this doesnt work at all.

2, USB Lead from Armrest to NBT doesn’t fit into the NBT. Will I need a new cable? And does anyone have the part number?

Coding
The following is either not working or needs coding:
1, Multimedia: TV Function
DVD In Motion
Internet

2, Connected Drive: All options not working, even with BT connected and wifi on phone.

3, Vehicle Info:
ECO Drive: Consumption History not working
Driving Analysis not working
Check ECO Route not working
On Board: Nothing works
Trip: Nothing Works
Service: Nothing works

4, Settings:
Cluster Display: Not Working
Time and Date: Not Working
Speed Warning: Not Working
Tailgate Height: Not Working (can this even be set as I didn’t have previously)

5, Parking Sensors. After installing the NBT, I now only have the screen showing rear PDC. Front parking sensors still make a noise however this doesn’t show on screen at all.
6, Cluster:
Steering Wheel: Mode button does nothing
Call Button: Used to show phone numbers/ names on cluster but now just dials last number.
Voice Control is all ok though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316d

Did you code NBT with esys?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

What he said. Have you added 609 and 6NS to your FA?

In rgds to the touch controller not working, how old is your car? It could be your car is K-CAN1 and the Touch controller needs the K-CAN2. When I retrofitted the Nav non touch controller, it just worked without any coding. My car is late 2012 F31 so has K-CAN1....Just read your car details, says you have 2012 F30, so your car will be K-CAN1.

Also you'll need the handwriting module with the touch controller, if you want to use the touch bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Sticky,

From what I have read the NBT has a different USB outlet and you can juryrig your current one by shaving the pins and rotating it 180 degrees. You will need to tape it into place though.

There is a second stage I have also read which involves the USB input which you can search for in the forums - not sure but it involved changing the orientation of the black cable.

Otherwise you can buy the cable for the bargain price of £35 on ebay.......
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post
Otherwise you can buy the cable for the bargain price of £35 on ebay.......
That's what I did, I brought this USB cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...item3a8d0a6505

I then removed the black casing; its tuck just under the flap below the aircon controls with a 64GB mini usb stick, works a charm and I didn't have to shave/rotate the connector. It does mean my armrest USB is dead but for me it was the best way to get round the problem and easy for me go back to standard config when the car goes in for service.

I asked BMW for the correct cable, they were quoting me £90+ for the cable, I can't remember the part number. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Kitster, whereas I was joking that the £35 ebay cable was a bargain; that £90 bmw quote actually does make the cable a bargain....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
Did you code NBT with esys?
Thanks for reply, I don't have esys. Is this relatively cheap to buy and easy enough to use? I have been advised by a friend that dealers can do the coding for around £150 but as the cars under warranty I don't want to give them an excuse to void it
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
What he said. Have you added 609 and 6NS to your FA?

In rgds to the touch controller not working, how old is your car? It could be your car is K-CAN1 and the Touch controller needs the K-CAN2. When I retrofitted the Nav non touch controller, it just worked without any coding. My car is late 2012 F31 so has K-CAN1....Just read your car details, says you have 2012 F30, so your car will be K-CAN1.

Also you'll need the handwriting module with the touch controller, if you want to use the touch bit.
Hmm really did want the touch controller. So is it not possible at all unless you have K-CAN2?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky_cls63 View Post
Thanks for reply, I don't have esys. Is this relatively cheap to buy and easy enough to use? I have been advised by a friend that dealers can do the coding for around £150 but as the cars under warranty I don't want to give them an excuse to void it
There is no way a UK BMW dealer is going to code your car to accept the pronav, unless there was an official retrofit for pronav.....which there isn't, plus you'll be adding in a emulator, which they will defo not support. Shoot a posting to Shaun over at the coding forum, eSys and Pszdata is free but you will need a token to FDL code. You don't need the token to FA code e.g adding 609/6NS.

Last edited by kitster; 10-07-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmm really did want the touch controller. So is it not possible at all unless you have K-CAN2?
My understanding is the K-CAN2 is a faster bus speed, therefore making it difficult to retrofit the touch on K-CAN1 equipped car. I could be wrong!

To get things working the non-nav controller will work with the NBT, except the no nav/media buttons.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is the K-CAN2 is a faster bus speed, therefore making it difficult to retrofit the touch on K-CAN1 equipped car. I could be wrong!

To get things working the non-nav controller will work with the NBT, except the no nav/media buttons.
Yeah that's what I've done for now works fine, but would prefer the extra 2 buttons
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Most of your issues will go, once you code the FA and then code the HU_NBT ECU. Most of the data comes from the Kombi (the instrument cluster). One thing did you install the emulator between the NBT and the original quadlock connector?

As for the Internet, it's totally pants and sooooo slow, same for BMW Live. Internet also needs FA coding, I think it's 604 and the Apps is 6NR, assuming the NBT unit you brought has the FSC codes for 6NR.

You won't get the TV working, because that requires additional hardware. DVD in motion can be done via FDL coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Most of your issues will go, once you code the FA and then code the HU_NBT ECU. Most of the data comes from the Kombi (the instrument cluster). One thing did you install the emulator between the NBT and the original quadlock connector?

As for the Internet, it's totally pants and sooooo slow, same for BMW Live. Internet also needs FA coding, I think it's 604 and the Apps is 6NR, assuming the NBT unit you brought has the FSC codes for 6NR.

You won't get the TV working, because that requires additional hardware. DVD in motion can be done via FDL coding.
Thanks kitster, yeah emulators connected and nav works fine. I was hoping if I'm upgrading it from HU_ENTRY might as well try and get as many of the options working
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks kitster, yeah emulators connected and nav works fine. I was hoping if I'm upgrading it from HU_ENTRY might as well try and get as many of the options working
Did you move the MOST connection (2 black cables) from the original quad lock to the emulator?? The MOST connects to the Kombi. You won't get service data etc etc (pretty much the issues your having), if you don't move it over.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't remember will check that one in the morning and come back to you. From looking at other posts about retrofit I was starting to wonder what this MOST connection was
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316d

But if you don´t have the extended cluster, there is no MOST cable. (Its not necessary then)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
sticky_cls63
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
But if you don´t have the extended cluster, there is no MOST cable. (Its not necessary then)
No extended cluster, just the bog standard one which funnily enough looks exactly the same as my 1996 318i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

You learn something everyday I've got the 6WA and the HK Audio, so I had to move the MOST connectors over.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I just installed an NBT into my BMW Sport today:

Every menu available except navigation - expected as not fitted emulator cable or GPS yet.

USB - was losing daylight so gave up and left this for now so cannot test connected drive etc.

Office - all menus available (nothing for calender showing though?). Can also stream music from phone but don't get album art.

Have lost my chimes, travel computers, speed warnings etc. Need to tell the car I don't have a black panel display (cheers Kitster for advice).

Light menu shows "modern" instead of sport.

Voice dialling now works on steering wheel.

In software my VIN is displayed on the Nav unit - is that normal? I thought it would show the donor vehicles VIN?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I fitted a new idrive controller but not the touch one. But in the HU there are menu options for touch controller.

So all in all with no coding my situation pretty much mirrors sticky_cls63
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In software my VIN is displayed on the Nav unit - is that normal? I thought it would show the donor vehicles VIN?
When you update the maps and mobile software (from BMW site) etc you will need to use the donor VIN for the NBT.

You can use Esys to workout the donor VIN:

Comfort Mode => FSC => Check FSC Status, and at the top of the Log report it will show the Head Unit VIN.

Once you have the VIN you can also use http://www.bmwvin.com and workout what options the original car had such as Apps (6NR) or Internet
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I fitted a new idrive controller but not the touch one. But in the HU there are menu options for touch controller.
I saw the same touch option, but once you code the NBT, it works out that you don't have the touch installed and the option will disappear
Appreciate 0