F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Which options will I kick myself most for not getting? Would appreciate your feedback
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Which options will I kick myself most for not getting? Would appreciate your feedback

I ordered a 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue a week ago, to be leased. As far as I know the car is still in 112 and I can make some last minute changes. I don't want to spend the extra money unless I'm missing a must have option that you all think I'd be making a big mistake not getting.

Here are the options I ordered and why:

1. Venetian Beige Leatherette- I have a 2 year old kid who most likely won't be in the car more than once or twice a month. Though he'd be in a car seat at all times I'm a bit paranoid about staining/ruining the leather. My salesman assured me there would have to be substantial damage to the leather for there to be an issue on turn-in of my lease.

2. Navigation as a standalone- Didn't get the technology package because BMW apps was useless to me.

3. Sport Auto- Nuff said

4. Dynamic Handling Package- wanted the better suspension setup

5. Sirius Radio after the fact for $277 with the internet website posted here.

Here is what I was close to getting but want to get feedback if any of you think I'm making a big mistake for not getting

1. Premium package. I've had comfort access on my last two BMWs and liked the feature. I also love the smell of leather, and living in Phoenix Arizona, my understanding is the leather breathes better and will cause me to sweat less. If I'm going to sweat a lot more with leatherette than leather I may need to reconsider. If I barely sweat more, then I'm OK with Leatherette I guess.

2. Harmon Kardon audio. I do listen to a lot of music, but it's all satellite radio, where the sound quality supposedly isn't as great as other media. I see a lot of mixed reviews from audiophiles and regular music listeners alike which swayed me from getting this.

3. Heated front seats. I've had these in my last 2 BMWs and while it doesn't get that cold in Phoenix, my understanding was that leatherette didn't get as cold as leather did in the winter. I did enjoy having these but I maybe only used them a few dozen times a year. My car also sits in an enclosed garage at night which helps. Interestingly enough, should I decide to by the car when the lease is up, heated seats are a must for resale. I am undecided if I would want to purchase after the lease is up.

4. Park distance control (or really any of the parking features). I've had PDC on my last two BMWs as well, and found it to be extremely useful; I probably used it daily. I'm sure I can get by without having it, but it was a nice feature.

5. Heads up display. I had this on my M5, and enjoyed it; was nice not having to take my eyes off the road. Something I can live without, and since BMW Apps has no value to me as an android user, I had a hard time justifying the $900 or so extra cost just for HUD which requires the more expensive tech package instead of just navigation as a standalone option.

6. Auto high beams. A lot of great reviews from people on them, was skeptical based on prior versions of this feature. Would consider for only $250 as a safety feature.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

I do not have comfort access on my 135 (bought off lot) and miss it alot. Unfortunately, only avail. w/ premium package so changes alot for you (incl leather).
Car seat damage on a leased car could be deciding factor.

Heated seats--nice but more valuable in cold climates.

Heads up was cool but when I decided to wait for 2013, was not worth the added cost of full tech package which has alot of stuff I would never use. I ordered basic Nav,

I passed on the upgraded radio. If you want to get serious about the car radio, go aftermarket but can get costly to do it right.

Debated the park distance but $750. Come on..

Auto high beams. Probably more valuable in rural areas. Not pricey so your call.

I wanted sat radio. Around here its too much blah blah. Part of prem package but I had it checked as a stand alone when I was debating getting a 2012.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

comfort access & HK audio were requirements for me. I'd rather pay the 900 bucks now than ultimately feel the need to upgrade the stereo in the future. PDC was a minimum for me but I ended up with the full parking package; and couldn't be happier. It only takes a bump or two on the bumpers to pay for itself. And the side and top cameras are really cool. Why get a bmw if you strip down all the cool stuff available?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyb29 View Post
comfort access & HK audio were requirements for me. I'd rather pay the 900 bucks now than ultimately feel the need to upgrade the stereo in the future. PDC was a minimum for me but I ended up with the full parking package; and couldn't be happier. It only takes a bump or two on the bumpers to pay for itself. And the side and top cameras are really cool. Why get a bmw if you strip down all the cool stuff available?
I got the sport auto, nav, m-sport, and dynamic handling packages which I thought were cool.

Options can really add up fast. Everything listed below adds about $5000 to the car's sticker.

Last edited by verbs; 07-07-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
PavementIstRad
Rep
Drives: F30

I kind of regret not having comfort access now. If it was a stand alone option I would have gotten it for sure, but I still don't think the price of the premium package warrented it, considering it was the only feature out of it I wanted. I actually prefer the BMW leatherette over the leather. Dakota leather is a pretty low quality leather. I think the leatherette feels better and looks too realistic for people to know its not actually leather. It does make you sweaty in the heat on a long trip though...

If you feel like you need leather or a sunroof definitely go with the premium package because comfort access is almost a must have considering how large the stupid bmw key fob is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

I love HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
I think you might want the HK Audio if you listen to a lot of music. I don't think the sat radio sounds very good at all compared to the XM/Bose in my wife's Cadillac CTS- but I do appreciate the extra power, better speakers and equalizer. When I listen to other audio sources such as HD radio, or even a good old fashioned CD- they rock...
      07-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
2. Harmon Kardon audio. I do listen to a lot of music, but it's all satellite radio, where the sound quality supposedly isn't as great as other media. I see a lot of mixed reviews from audiophiles and regular music listeners alike which swayed me from getting this.
Even though the HK audio won't sound as good as a great aftermarket system, it will still be a LOT better than the standard audio system. Satellite radio might not sound great, but it will sound better on the HK system -- mainly due to higher speaker quality.

Even if you eventually decide to upgrade to an aftermarket system, you will probably still be happy keeping many of the HK speakers. The most meaningful upgrades to factory audio are from adding true subwoofers and better amplifiers. Add a little pre-amp signal processing, and you're pretty close to "audiophile grade".

The HK audio upgrade is a bargain at the price. I would not pass up on this option. Personally, I'd trade it any day for the nav (you could even throw in the auto high beams for that price).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
I ordered a 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue a week ago, to be leased. As far as I know the car is still in 112 and I can make some last minute changes. I don't want to spend the extra money unless I'm missing a must have option that you all think I'd be making a big mistake not getting.
Had the same questions when building, but came to a similar conclusion. The only options I ordered were MSport, Dynamic Handling, Sport Auto originally because in my mind they are required. I then added Technology and HK audio as my toys.

Had similar debates over PDC with Camera and Heated Seats, but decided against them. I didn't even consider auto high beams or Premium once my Saddle/Everest options were removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
The HK audio upgrade is a bargain at the price. I would not pass up on this option. Personally, I'd trade it any day for the nav (you could even throw in the auto high beams for that price).
It really is.

Quote:
Why get a bmw if you strip down all the cool stuff available?
Because for some folks, driving is enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Getting the 335 is the best option you picked, followed by sport auto, dynamic handling and vinyl.

The rest is fluff.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
I think you might want the HK Audio if you listen to a lot of music. I don't think the sat radio sounds very good at all compared to the XM/Bose in my wife's Cadillac CTS- but I do appreciate the extra power, better speakers and equalizer. When I listen to other audio sources such as HD radio, or even a good old fashioned CD- they rock...
Doesn't the base stereo has an equalizer too? I'm a big fan of solid bass, and I think the HK stereo did have better woofers/more power for them if I remember correctly?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The only option I regret not getting was BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Same here ... regret not getting BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
In my mind must have options are:

I6 turbo
Adaptive m
Variable steering
Navigation
BMW assist (pays for itself)
Hk - sounds amazing, I keep turning it up and it gets louder and louder and won't distort. Very clean

BMW apps - worth it just for pandora alone.

Options not really needed

PDC - hate the zits on the bumpers and 13 yrs of having a license I don't intend on starting to hit bumpers now.

Drivers assist pkg - same as above

Comfort access - trunk is cool but right now I don't even take my keys out my pocket! I reach in feel for unlock press it and I'm done it's push button start anyway.

Premium pkg - only features I wish I had was motorized mirrors so I could get it coded to fold on lock. Maybe the compass.

Cold weather pkg - not needed in warm climate jus adding dead weight to the car.

Automatic high beams - I didn't order but it came on my car. It does work really well but I rarely use since I live in a city.

My goal was to get anything sport oriented first then the only toys I saw fit after was tech pkg. really love the HUD, and the whole tech package.

I love that an alert shows up on the HUD if an accident is up ahead or traffic jam or even obstacles in the road. Navigation will route you around traffic. Pandora is really great. My BMW remote app is cool too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I love that an alert shows up on the HUD if an accident is up ahead or traffic jam or even obstacles in the road. Navigation will route you around traffic. Pandora is really great. My BMW remote app is cool too.
That's a great feature. I wonder if the non-HUD cars that have navigation/traffic alert you in another fashion? It was always a pain to have to constantly keep checking the traffic on the Nav screen via I-Drive to see if anything had changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hk - sounds amazing, I keep turning it up and it gets louder and louder and won't distort. Very clean
Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
Even though the HK audio won't sound as good as a great aftermarket system, it will still be a LOT better than the standard audio system. Satellite radio might not sound great, but it will sound better on the HK system -- mainly due to higher speaker quality.

Even if you eventually decide to upgrade to an aftermarket system, you will probably still be happy keeping many of the HK speakers. The most meaningful upgrades to factory audio are from adding true subwoofers and better amplifiers. Add a little pre-amp signal processing, and you're pretty close to "audiophile grade".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
Quote:
comfort access & HK audio were requirements for me. I'd rather pay the 900 bucks now than ultimately feel the need to upgrade the stereo in the future.
And this is where I'm totally thrown on the speakers. All of the self proclaimed audiophiles and stereo experts say the HK system is garbage, they wouldn't spend the extra money on it, and that the 16 speaker 600+ watts or whatever is just a marketing tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
I love HUD.
Before I ordered my car, I really didn't think much about the HUD, but since I ordered at MY2012, it came with the nav/tech package. Honestly, now, I don't think I ever want to live without it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I absolutely love it. It has totally changed the way that I drive. I would really regret not getting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
In my mind must have options are:

I6 turbo
Adaptive m
Variable steering
Navigation
BMW assist (pays for itself)

BMW apps - worth it just for pandora alone.

Options not really needed

PDC - hate the zits on the bumpers and 13 yrs of having a license I don't intend on starting to hit bumpers now.

Drivers assist pkg - same as above

Comfort access - trunk is cool but right now I don't even take my keys out my pocket! I reach in feel for unlock press it and I'm done it's push button start anyway.

Premium pkg - only features I wish I had was motorized mirrors so I could get it coded to fold on lock. Maybe the compass.

Cold weather pkg - not needed in warm climate jus adding dead weight to the car.

Automatic high beams - I didn't order but it came on my car. It does work really well but I rarely use since I live in a city.

My goal was to get anything sport oriented first then the only toys I saw fit after was tech pkg. really love the HUD, and the whole tech package.

I like the way you think. I can't get the turbo I6 (not offered for the F31) otherwise I want to spec my car exactly like yours. I hadn't considered Apps or HUD though....still on the fence about those but you're probably right about Pandora.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
Before I ordered my car, I really didn't think much about the HUD, but since I ordered at MY2012, it came with the nav/tech package. Honestly, now, I don't think I ever want to live without it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I absolutely love it. It has totally changed the way that I drive. I would really regret not getting it.
I really liked having HUD in my M5, but because BMW apps is worthless to me, HUD becomes a $900 option over the navigation as a standalone option.

In the M5, it was good to have it due to how fast that car revved for shifting purposes at WOT, and to keep an eye on my speed, but other than that I didn't get a lot of other value from it. The navigation information didn't display on there when the car was in M mode (which was always), and I didn't get any traffic info on it either. It's hard to gauge the value of the new HUD because it does seem like there's a lot more that this HUD does than the one in my M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
K.Ip
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

auto hi beams -
i never had auto hi beams but this is a must have.
around where i live, there are plenty of deers and dim lighted streets and just for this alone they have been worth it!

premium package - nice but eh not a must
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
Z4
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

BMW Assist is a must have. Work perfect with Navigation. You can send your destination from Google Map in your office to your car. Plus all the safety and convenience features. That's why I get Technology package.

2013 F30 328i Alpine White Sportline / Black Leatherette / Tech / Xenons (Timeline)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 View Post
BMW Assist is a must have. Work perfect with Navigation. You can send your destination from Google Map in your office to your car. Plus all the safety and convenience features. That's why I get Technology package.
BMW assist actually comes included when you order Navigation as a stand alone option, so you don't need the Tech package for that one.
Appreciate 0