F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Check Engine Light
ARMA SPEED

01-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i Gran Coupe Xdrive

So I just drove my 2014 328d xdrive from my house to a restaurant about 10minutes down the street and just as I was crossing an intersection noticed the check engine light had come on. Got to the restaurant parking lot and checked the vehicle info on Idrive and it's showing everything is okay. It's currently 16 degrees Fahrenheit out and the car doesn't seem to be acting oddly and no strange noises either.

I'll have to wait to call the dealership Monday morning since it's already late Saturday. I took some pics of the instrument panel and the idrive.

Anyone experienced anything like this with their diesel?

Edit: I'll have to try posting the pics later. It won't upload from my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Get it read at autozone to see if there are any codes. It's impossible to tell why without any obvious symptoms.
      01-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
Get it read at autozone to see if there are any codes. It's impossible to tell why without any obvious symptoms.
I didn't even think about doing that. I'll do that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
Took it to autozone just now and it's sending 3 codes for a reductant level sensor. The car still seems to be operating fine. I'm wondering if it's an oxygen sensor.

After a bit of research it maybe a sensor with the DEF system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Handyman2007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2014 328d xdrive

Well I got the same thing happening to me last winter in the bitter cold and BMW told me that it was the DEF Sensor and they had to replace the tank as the sensor is part of the tank. So they did and everything was fine mind you we didn't have an other cold snap last winter but this past week the temperature dropped to -35 degree Celsius and on my way home from work bam the check engine light went on. I didn't have a change to take it to BMW yet but like last year they told that it was ok and the light would go off and it did today 4 days after it first came on. I think we have to be a little carful as to what quality of diesel we are putting in our car, specially in the winter. I just fill up with Shell Premium Diesel the day before the light went off so I presume that maybe the Ultramar Diesel is not as good as the Shell. I will go to the dealer so that they can read the code but I will keep putting Shell Premium Diesel for the rest of the winter and see if I get more error.

Francis
      01-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman2007
Well I got the same thing happening to me last winter in the bitter cold and BMW told me that it was the DEF Sensor and they had to replace the tank as the sensor is part of the tank. So they did and everything was fine mind you we didn't have an other cold snap last winter but this past week the temperature dropped to -35 degree Celsius and on my way home from work bam the check engine light went on. I didn't have a change to take it to BMW yet but like last year they told that it was ok and the light would go off and it did today 4 days after it first came on. I think we have to be a little carful as to what quality of diesel we are putting in our car, specially in the winter. I just fill up with Shell Premium Diesel the day before the light went off so I presume that maybe the Ultramar Diesel is not as good as the Shell. I will go to the dealer so that they can read the code but I will keep putting Shell Premium Diesel for the rest of the winter and see if I get more error.

Francis
Thanks for the insight and likely confirmation of what is likely the issue with the DEF. I typically use Marathon diesel. Unfortunately, diesel isn't as prominent in the US yet and there's no recommended brand to use. I've learned of a few to stay away from thanks to my friend whose family owns a diesel mechanic shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well I went out to my car this morning and the check engine light had turned off. This was after I scheduled an appointment with the dealership. I'm going to monitor through the coming week and see if it returns or not and that'll decide if I need to maintain the appointment scheduled.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

All error are stored in the cars memory. Warning lights shouldn't be ignored. Keep the appointment and get it checked, it's not worth the hassle of breaking down at an inconvenient time, or invalidating warranty because you'd driven round with a warning light on and subsequently something failed prematurely. Take a photo of it too, next time it comes on to be sure all bases covered when speaking to the technicians
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I think I do like your idea of just keeping the appointment even though the service manager suggested I cancel it if the light doesn't come back on.

I have been keeping pictures each time something acts suspicious or comes up as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have had two Nox sensors replaced by warranty in my wife's car but my wagon has been trouble free. Supposedly bosch is the manufacturer of the sensor and requested my local dealer to send it in for inspection.
      01-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior
I have had two Nox sensors replaced by warranty in my wife's car but my wagon has been trouble free. Supposedly bosch is the manufacturer of the sensor and requested my local dealer to send it in for inspection.
Hopefully my dealer will do something with it. Tuesday is the day that I'll be taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Handyman2007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2014 328d xdrive

Well my Check Engine light came back on and I went to the Dealer today and it was the DEF sensor again, they told me that the tolerance of the sensor was very narrow and that they had a new firmware for the 328d to hopefully fix the issue once and for all. We will see if the new firmware fixed the problem as we are expected to be at -30 degree Celcius tonight Hope the light doesn't come back. I will keep everyone posted

Francis
      01-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear that Francis. I just got back home from dropping my car off to the dealership this morning and I told them about the firmware update you mentioned as well.

Update: got my car back and they did the firmware update on my car and changed the istep software as well. Hopefully there won't be any issues with it going forward.

On the bright side I have the heated steering wheel notification on the instrument cluster!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 03:58 AM   #14
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtj01 View Post
On the bright side I have the heated steering wheel notification on the instrument cluster!
Are you sure it's a warning for the heating steering wheel and not for the actual power steering? Either way, if it's a warning it seems the stealers caused it and I'd be breathing down their necks to fix it pronto. Hopefully the original problem is fixed though...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980
Quote:
Are you sure it's a warning for the heating steering wheel and not for the actual power steering? Either way, if it's a warning it seems the stealers caused it and I'd be breathing down their necks to fix it pronto. Hopefully the original problem is fixed though...
No no it's a good thing. In the 2015 models they added to the expanded instrument cluster display a notification that told you whether or not your heated steering wheel was activated or deactivated when you pushed the button since you can't look at the button to check.

With the software update now the 2014 models can have the notification as well. If you check out the coding forum there's a thread that shows what I'm referring to.
Appreciate 1
tex26702400.50
      01-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No no it's a good thing. In the 2015 models they added to the expanded instrument cluster display a notification that told you whether or not your heated steering wheel was activated or deactivated when you pushed the button since you can't look at the button to check.

With the software update now the 2014 models can have the notification as well. If you check out the coding forum there's a thread that shows what I'm referring to.
Ah, misunderstood. Thanks for the pointer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #17
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtj01
Quote:

Francis
Thanks for the insight and likely confirmation of what is likely the issue with the DEF. I typically use Marathon diesel. Unfortunately, diesel isn't as prominent in the US yet and there's no recommended brand to use. I've learned of a few to stay away from thanks to my friend whose family owns a diesel mechanic shop.
Which ones should be avoided?
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #18
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtj01
Quote:

Francis
Which ones should be avoided?
He suggested staying away from Meijer's and walmart's(Murphy USA) gas stations as they had done fuel tests on several of their customers vehicles and found that the fuel contained too much water which caused a bunch of issues with some hefty repair costs.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
Cesarb
Rep
Drives: 328d xdrive

Hi mi check engine light came at 1200 miles and the dealer say it was adblue regeneration filter because I drive short distances. Everything was fine until now 3000 miles now and the check engine light came up today schedule a appointment with the dealer for Wend will see what they say
Appreciate 0