F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Engine Knocking?
Studio RSR

01-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #23
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheychey View Post
Thanks so much for that reply. I definitely get what you're saying about the letter and will take your advise on not sending that out before I speak to steve. I did however contacted bmw customer service when I first found out about the diagnoses but they weren't helpful and just said a supervisor will call me. I hope I didn't screw myself over by doing that. Also I wasn't offered any kind of warranty by the used dealership, but still think they should help out in someway. Still will go with your advice and first contact steve and go on from there. thanks again. Will keep you posted.
One last dealer i would visit if you don't have any luck at Pfaff is Policaro BMW.
They're a new dealership and I'm pretty sure they are looking for good exposure. Not that i am saying you should threaten them with negative posts about their dealership.....but I'm sure for a dealership that new, negative reviews would probably not be good for them.

and check out bmwtn if you're looking to join a group of other BMW enthusiasts
http://www.bmwtn.ca/

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
Andy2K
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheychey View Post
Thanks so much for that reply. I definitely get what you're saying about the letter and will take your advise on not sending that out before I speak to steve. I did however contacted bmw customer service when I first found out about the diagnoses but they weren't helpful and just said a supervisor will call me. I hope I didn't screw myself over by doing that. Also I wasn't offered any kind of warranty by the used dealership, but still think they should help out in someway. Still will go with your advice and first contact steve and go on from there. thanks again. Will keep you posted.
Wish you luck. BMW is aware of the issues you stated including the oil feed line to the turbo, there is a recall in some states for this issue but none in Canada. Let's hope they do the right thing and do a good will repair for you, as these issues are completely unacceptable. Have you visually inspected the condition of the timing chain under the oil cap? Just wondering if there is anything noticeable like shiny marks etc?

Please keep us posted on any updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:26 AM   #25
bim3
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Hi cheychey , I have a similar problem with my N20 engine. Do you have any update?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #26
Ahad
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Gran Coupe

Similar issue

I have the same problem when you rev the car there is a knocking noise I have 320i. Any ideas? The mechanic said it may be spark plug knock?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #27
Ray-India
Private
India
Rep
Drives: F30 320i LCI B48

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_AVIATOR View Post
Surprise surprise, it's also in the B48 engine.

I dropped my car to its 2nd service today. Just 21735KM and it has 5 super-knocking cylinder 3 as well as same 5 in "all cylinders" I only felt one of them under heavy acceleration switching from ECO PRO to SPORT mode. All 5 started at 20041KM and last one happened like 900Km ago.

Also, a few days ago, I parked at the super market, stayed there for like 7 minutes, started the car, it took a tad longer to start, and the moment it started rattled for a second and then normal. I drove for like 10 km. Stopped, A.S.S worked normal. another 3 km. Parked at home, stopped, then started again and everything is normal.

They had to keep the car in for further diagnoses and the engineer told me it's the first time they see such a thing and need to contact Germany about it.
Happened to me at 5,000kms, dealer just cleared the codes and let me off. Now at 15,000kms it happened but refused to go away. Dealer now says low compression in cyl 3. Waiting on BMW India to get back to them on next steps.
And I thought the B48 was a stout motor...
Appreciate 0