F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New BMW 3 Series F30 Climate Control Uses Advanced Thermal Management
Studio RSR

02-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #45
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Oh, and with the auto engine stop/start set to ON by default, I suspect that a lot of people will be hitting the "OFF" setting once they get stuck at a train crossing on a hot sunny day with 100F temps and 80% humidity. How long will those frozen thingys provide cool air?
And that cool air wont' do anything for the humidity that will flood the air cabin as you're sitting there for a few minutes waiting for that slooooow train to go by.
It's been discussed many times, and is in the manual: The system will not turn off the engine under certain conditions. One of them being when it's too hot or too cold outside (I forget the exact temps).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #46
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
After a frosty night or when it is bitterly cold, the new climate control system quickly generates a remarkably high heat output. Within the defrosting area of the windscreen, the field of vision is evenly defrosted only shortly after a cold start.
Apologies for the banal question but it's this or I start doing some work...

...if BMW's marketing dept are to be believed, my new F30 is going to perform miracles at rapidly defrosting my windscreen on a winter's morning. Is it really as good as they would have us believe or, as I suspect, should I still keep some de-icer and a scraper in the boot (trunk)?

I'll be at my desk awaiting your witty replies!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #47
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

This is pure speculation, but I wonder whether they've put part of the heating system closer to where the fuel is burned in the engine.

Normally, the heating system is part of the engine cooling system, right? So the cabin doesn't start to heat up until the cooling system begins to pick up heat from the engine. I've often wondered why they don't gather the heat from closer to where the fuel is burned to help heat the cabin more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

There must be an electrical heater like the 5 series has had for years but I have not managed to get this confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #49
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

This is a question for E90Fleet
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #50
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan
Fact! E90Fleet?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Fact! E90Fleet?
Might have to light the roundel shaped searchlight.

Last edited by Raspartan; 03-16-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #52
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
+1 Paging E90Fleet to the white courtesy phone!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #53
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
+1 Paging E90Fleet to the white courtesy phone!
"...no, the white phone".
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #54
Ganeshbabu2008
Rep
Drives: Mpv

Hi folks, the f30, 328i is said to be launched in India next month. The dynamo alternators that engage only during engine braking is interesting. Is its air conditioner compressor electric powered? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #55
Weaselboy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganeshbabu2008 View Post
Hi folks, the f30, 328i is said to be launched in India next month. The dynamo alternators that engage only during engine braking is interesting. Is its air conditioner compressor electric powered? Thx.
No... the A/C compressor is still run by the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #56
Ganeshbabu2008
Rep

Thx for that. Whilst in the Eco mode, does the AC compressor then activate only during engine braking? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #57
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
It's been discussed many times, and is in the manual: The system will not turn off the engine under certain conditions. One of them being when it's too hot or too cold outside (I forget the exact temps).
but it's nowhere near perfect. there have been times when the a/c is blasting on auto at 70 when it's 80 outside and at the stop light the engine still shut off. it heated up pretty quick and the engine did not turn on. I will say there are also times that the engine shuts off but turns back on 20-30 seconds later at the stop light I'd like to think due to climate.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
Weaselboy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thx for that. Whilst in the Eco mode, does the AC compressor then activate only during engine braking? Thx.
From my limited testing, it appears to run normally.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #59
Ganeshbabu2008
Rep

Thx for that. Is there an AC compressor on/off indicator light in the instrument cluster? Thx.

Modern AC compressor clutches disconnect the AC compressor when the gas pedal is floored. I was therefore hoping for this later titration on the f30. Ecomode which would engage AC compressor only during engine braking. The crank pulley does receive abandon revs when we downshift & engine brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #60
Weaselboy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thx for that. Is there an AC compressor on/off indicator light in the instrument cluster? Thx.

Modern AC compressor clutches disconnect the AC compressor when the gas pedal is floored. I was therefore hoping for this later titration on the f30. Ecomode which would engage AC compressor only during engine braking. The crank pulley does receive abandon revs when we downshift & engine brake.
There is no separate light showing when the compressor is on/off. There is a light that shows if you have turned on the compressor, but it stays on the whole time AC is selected.

I don't think having the compressor only run during engine braking would be enough to cool the interior in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #61
Ganeshbabu2008
Rep

thx for that. u may be right. running the compressor only during engine braking may not get the job done. Electric AC compressor then should be the only way to free the engine from the compressors burden. The hybrid F30 seems to offer it. Reducing the burden of the AC compressor, steering motor and the battery alternator from the engine should add atleast 2 KM more to the liter and shave off 2 seconds in the 0-100 Kmph sprint.

With the F30, BMW seems to the sorted the later two.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #62
Ganeshbabu2008
Rep

brake force regeneration with autobox?

I read about a technique Honda called ‘Valve idling’ in their hybrid cars, IC engine. Its objective was to eliminate engine drag during engine braking to enable the entire returning force to be available at the crank pulley for the alternator to harvest. The F30 uses an alternator that engages only during engine braking. Does the F30 also use a technique similar to Honda’s valve idling? Thx.

Brake force regeneration: In the case of auto box, I’m assuming that the brake pedal travel is split it two parts. The first part where the auto box down shifts to use engine braking alone and then the 2nd part when the actual braking begins to activate. Is the transformation from the 1st part to the 2nd seamless or is there some kind of indication available there? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #63
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
They are different

E90 used integrated heating or Air conditioning regulation (IHKR)
F30 uses a integrated heating and air conditioning system (IHKA)

With IHKR the air duct temperature was set to the requested level
With IHKA the air duct temperature will be varied by the control system to get the correct temperature at the temperature sensors in the cabin

IHKA also moves the control unit away from the dial to the climate unit itself and can also be controlled for ECO mode driving
I hate to admit it, but I haven't figured out the relationship between the "automatic climate control with enhanced features" described starting on page 133 of the manual, and the "ventilation" described on page 136 of the manual. The climate control has seat heating left and right, control of air flow and where the air enters the cabin. One would think this is all you need. So my question: how does the knob 3 "thumbwheel to vary the temperature" on the ventilation relate to all of this. It seems you control temperature with both automatic climate control and ventilation. If I set the temperature on the automatic climate control, what position should the ventilation thumbwheel be set to, hot or cold?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #64
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild M View Post
I hate to admit it, but I haven't figured out the relationship between the "automatic climate control with enhanced features" described starting on page 133 of the manual, and the "ventilation" described on page 136 of the manual. The climate control has seat heating left and right, control of air flow and where the air enters the cabin. One would think this is all you need. So my question: how does the knob 3 "thumbwheel to vary the temperature" on the ventilation relate to all of this. It seems you control temperature with both automatic climate control and ventilation. If I set the temperature on the automatic climate control, what position should the ventilation thumbwheel be set to, hot or cold?
I was wondering the same... Setting mine to anything other than center seems to override the auto temperature controls. And even at Centre I can still feel the passenger side vents blowing noticeably colder air... Driver's side seems fine

Last edited by carconvert; 05-05-2012 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #65
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild M View Post
E90Fleet? Any idea about this?
Appreciate 0