F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My N20 died at 72k miles
Studio RSR

08-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #419
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Just saw this and thought it might be of interest to some of you.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/08/02...-bmw-bulletin/
Need to sticky this link to the first post of this thread!!!!!!!!
      08-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #420
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:

3/2013 ??

So 2014 or + model shouldn't suffer this problem..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #421
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

I wouldn't bet on it.

NBT should be included in all MY2014 vehicles and even some MY2013 (mine ) , but still there are MY2014 with old CIC. So, they will not throw away "old" parts - they will use it as long as they have it.

Last edited by Delija; 08-05-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #422
gtmaster303
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 5 Series

Exclamation N20 Timing Chain Failure 528i

Quote:

Lol I was the one that asked for BMW tech to post it. My local dealer showed me the bulletin but wouldn't provide me a copy.
2012 528i xDrive also had timing chain issue at 72k miles. Problem was there for many miles before 72k, but I always thought the noise was normal, until I read that it wasn't and started getting louder. Paid for repair out of pocket, no warranty
here's my thread if you want to read
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1012721
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #423
VladDracul
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002tii and others

I posted the following message on another thread but thought that this information was relevant here as well.

Several law firms with a lot of automotive class action experience filed a class action against BMW for the N20 timing chain defects last week. These are the same lawyers who are also involved with the VW/Audi timing chain class action. Here is the site- https://defectiveconsumerproducts.wordpress.com

Attorney Sobran is a former factory trained mechanic and seems pretty knowledgeable. He said that other victims of the timing chain defect are welcome to participate.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05521.00
      10-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #424
roneyX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
My F30 328i had been problem free since I took delivery of it in April 2012. Never had a problem and was always properly serviced and well-maintained.

Suddenly, I get a low oil pressure warning and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over and had it towed to the local BMW service center. They weren't able to get the engine started and I was told that I was lucky the car went into limp mode because that would prevent further engine damage.

The next day I was told they were able to get the engine turned over but that it was making strange noises indicating a timing issue and that they would need to inspect the valves. Later that day I get a call saying the camshaft was snapped and there was metal and plastic all over the engine and that it would need to be replaced. They're not sure what caused this. But I was quoted a price of over $20,000 for parts and labor to repair it.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Needless to say I am shocked that my well-maintained car essentially exploded on me without warning.
My drive chain malfunction signal came last week and after taking to the dealer I was told that the timing chain needs to be replaced. So, BMW Mississauga replaced the timing chain and oil pump chain. After bringing the car back it was idle for 3 days and when started the car after 3 days there were smokes all around my garage and now I am really scared of keeping this vehicle. What would you guys suggest???? Has anyone any issue after the timing chain has been replaced??? Please let me know
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #425
roneyX3
Registered
Rep

My BMW X3 timing chain and oil pump chain was replaced last week at 86,000 KM but did not change the engine. I am in Toronto and do you think that I should pressure BMW dealer to replace the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #426
roneyX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
My F30 328i had been problem free since I took delivery of it in April 2012. Never had a problem and was always properly serviced and well-maintained.

Suddenly, I get a low oil pressure warning and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over and had it towed to the local BMW service center. They weren't able to get the engine started and I was told that I was lucky the car went into limp mode because that would prevent further engine damage.

The next day I was told they were able to get the engine turned over but that it was making strange noises indicating a timing issue and that they would need to inspect the valves. Later that day I get a call saying the camshaft was snapped and there was metal and plastic all over the engine and that it would need to be replaced. They're not sure what caused this. But I was quoted a price of over $20,000 for parts and labor to repair it.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Needless to say I am shocked that my well-maintained car essentially exploded on me without warning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwizard View Post
My 428i (april 2014) has 60.000km on the clock and last week the oil pump and timing chain have been replaced. I had luck that I heard a high pitched noise the last couple of weeks, which wasn't normal and was I just on time to replace the parts. Otherwise an engine blow wouldn't have been far away...
Luckily all of this (3 days of work + parts) have been covered under warranty by BMW, altough my car is almost 3 years old and the standard warranty is already expired.
With the new improvements on this timing chain, this problem should be solved... Crossing fingers...
How is vehicle performing after timing chain has been replaced? I had my timing chain and oil pump change replaced last week but now really concerned about the performance and dependability of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #427
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneyX3 View Post
My drive chain malfunction signal came last week and after taking to the dealer I was told that the timing chain needs to be replaced. So, BMW Mississauga replaced the timing chain and oil pump chain. After bringing the car back it was idle for 3 days and when started the car after 3 days there were smokes all around my garage and now I am really scared of keeping this vehicle. What would you guys suggest???? Has anyone any issue after the timing chain has been replaced??? Please let me know
Go to the dealership and report back please.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #428
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Hey all. Been following this thread for a while and just brought up my concern to my local dealer while picking up parts. A foreman came out who was aware of the issue and sat in my car to listen to it. I knew I had a VERY slight whine, no where near any of the videos I had seen, but I also remember reading that some whine is normal and figured I would only take it in if it got worse. Anyways the foreman said he believes he hears the onset of the issue and wants to schedule it in to replace all the parts noted in the service bulletin.

2012 328i with 68k on the odometer. Got the car with 26k miles on the clock w/ 10k oil changes, but have been doing 6k oil changes since then. ASS disabled since I've had the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #429
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Hey all. Been following this thread for a while and just brought up my concern to my local dealer while picking up parts. A foreman came out who was aware of the issue and sat in my car to listen to it. I knew I had a VERY slight whine, no where near any of the videos I had seen, but I also remember reading that some whine is normal and figured I would only take it in if it got worse. Anyways the foreman said he believes he hears the onset of the issue and wants to schedule it in to replace all the parts noted in the service bulletin.

2012 328i with 68k on the odometer. Got the car with 26k miles on the clock w/ 10k oil changes, but have been doing 6k oil changes since then. ASS disabled since I've had the car.
Better buy that guy a bottle of the finest liquor he drinks!!!
That’s some quality customer service.

You in/out of warranty?
      10-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #430
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post

You in/out of warranty?
Still under CPO, but regardless he said I'm covered by the extended warranty they just released for the N20 for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #431
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Why?

Now when it's finally acknowledged by BMW as an official issue and the expenses are covered by BMW (at least in USA) - it's in his best interest to do it. He will earn money for that.
      10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #432
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Why?

Now when it's finally acknowledged by BMW as an official issue and the expenses are covered by BMW (at least in USA) - it's in his best interest to do it. He will earn money for that.
It's nice to have a pre-emptive strike done before the engine grenades and a driver is left on the side of the road.
      11-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #433
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: They actually ended up saying the timing chain is fine. Advisor said the noise BMW is looking for sounds "like a cat getting killed". I can't hear anything listening to the engine from the outside, but I believe I can hear a very slight whine at low RPMs when sitting inside the car. It sounds exactly the same in tone as the following video, albeit not as severe:

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #434
RunsWithScissors
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport F25

Add another N20 engine to the scrap heap.

2012 328i, 80,000 miles, broken timing chain. All recommended services were performed on time. I'm not the primary driver, so I don't know if there were telltale signs that the chain was about to let go. My daughter says she didn't hear any rattles or whining sounds beforehand.

The car has 6 months left of CPO warranty; BMW dealer is ordering a new engine. Should be getting the car back by next Monday.

I've had a bunch of Bimmers, 12 total, many of them high milers. I've had only 1 other engine failure, a '74 2002 that snapped a rod at 210K miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #435
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asawadude View Post
Add another N20 engine to the scrap heap.

2012 328i, 80,000 miles, broken timing chain. All recommended services were performed on time. I'm not the primary driver, so I don't know if there were telltale signs that the chain was about to let go. My daughter says she didn't hear any rattles or whining sounds beforehand.

The car has 6 months left of CPO warranty; BMW dealer is ordering a new engine. Should be getting the car back by next Monday.

I've had a bunch of Bimmers, 12 total, many of them high milers. I've had only 1 other engine failure, a '74 2002 that snapped a rod at 210K miles.
Where you letting AUto Stop / Start engage? Or did you code that off?
      12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #436
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-chains.shtml
      12-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #437
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Nice. I hope they pay -- this is not cool -- BMW's track record for fixing this repair is not consistent with each customer. Customers should not have to pay for BMW's negligence in design and/or poor choose in materials quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #438
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to get an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and filled the vial up while changing my oil today. Mine has 63,000 miles on the clock so I guess it as good a time as ever to get one done. I'll update the thread with my results. I have not had the symptoms many have posted in this thread so far.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #439
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to get an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and filled the vial up while changing my oil today. Mine has 63,000 miles on the clock so I guess it as good a time as ever to get one done. I'll update the thread with my results. I have not had the symptoms many have posted in this thread so far.
What were your results? I just got my Blackstone Lab report back and my iron count was high.

Last edited by BlueCrabMafia; 01-05-2018 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #440
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I love my N20 no issues and I'm modded to hell and back on ethanol fuel sucks to hear you guys are going through this.