F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Transfer audio files from F10 HD to F30 HD
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

And does your iPhone battery charge when plugged into the f30 USB?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No, i have not seen anyone being able to do this
You need a Automotive rated drive and one that fits in the slot.

The programming on the system is also set for this particular drive.

Just plug in a large USB drive in the glovebox for extra space
Do you mean that I can plug in a large powered hard drive in or just a USB thumb stick? I want to permanently store my 200 gig music collection in the car, will this be possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

Oh those were not my words you got it wrong It was a quote from a member of a forum.
I am trying to find out if I can use my iPhone with the white apple cable and plug it in Usb in F30. I don't want to use the y-cable because sound quality is not good with aux.
Some say after 9/2010 Production cars you don't need the Y-Cable anymore you can just use the original white Apple cable to connect to iDrive . However some people disagree. These usb iPod audio etc options are confusing i think.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post
Do you mean that I can plug in a large powered hard drive in or just a USB thumb stick? I want to permanently store my 200 gig music collection in the car, will this be possible?
The USB ports are not rated to power hard drives, only USB sticks.
So unless you have a USB Hard Drive that does not need power from the USB port I dont know how you will get 200GB onboard
      02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can I. View Post
I read this somewhere and I am totally confused :

If your car was production before 9/2010: it will come with a Y cable, because it would require that to connect your ipod to the usb&aux port. If it doesn't, make sure to ask the dealer for one as it should be included if you had ipod/usb option in the car.

If your car was produced 9/2010 and newer: it will not come with a Y cable. To connect the ipod to the USB port, all you require is a regular ipod cable you would use to connect the ipod to the computer. The cable which your ipod came with to connect to your computer will do just fine.

If you don't have a spare ipod USB cable right now, you COULD for the meantime use the Y cable you use in the Z4 to connect your ipod to the car, just connect both USB and AUX input like you do in your Z4, until you can get a new ipod/USB cable from the apple store/local Electronics store. A basic ipod - usb computer connector will suffice.

Also this :

"
Originally Posted by 3284me
2011 models don't need the Y adapter. Just use the white cable supplied with your iPod.
I have thoroughly tested this and 3284me is 100% correct. In my 2011 328i vert, plugging in the white cable from my iPod/iPhone into the USB port works EXACTLY the same as the BMW Y cable which I also have, that plugs into the USB and miniplug aux port. DO NOT buy the Y cable. If they give it to you, accept it with smiles, use it if you want, or use your apple cable."

I can vouch for this information, as my February 2011 production car has the ipod/usb connection in it and I was able to connect my ipod and my friend's iphone using a regular white iphone/ipod usb cable that I got from apple when I bought an ipod, and it worked just fine. It showed my playlists and music information in the idrive. :-)

You are quoting information for other BMW models
The F30 has different specifications

As far as i can tell from the technical documents you need combox to use the Ipod/Iphone USB.
The USA models dont have it standard a I mentioned.
Turkey models may be different

USA models need the options I mentioned earlier

Does Turkey have the 6NL option ?
      02-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The USB ports are not rated to power hard drives, only USB sticks.
So unless you have a USB Hard Drive that does not need power from the USB port I dont know how you will get 200GB onboard
This drive doesn't require power. Perhaps it would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAg...ref=pd_cp_pc_3
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

In Turkey we have 6NH as standard and the other options are 6NK (220 euros) and 6NF (500 euros) . This is all we have.
And my dealer says that 6NH would be enough for bluetooth calls and connecting iPhone with the white Apple USB. So what are the advantages of 6NK and 6NF, don't know confused with all this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post
This drive doesn't require power. Perhaps it would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAg...ref=pd_cp_pc_3
How does it run without power ?

Some F10 owners run hard drives, but the owners manuals and BMW Tech manuals warn against it as the USB ports are not rated for the power they need.
      02-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
How does it run without power ?

Some F10 owners run hard drives, but the owners manuals and BMW Tech manuals warn against it as the USB ports are not rated for the power they need.
I think it is indeed powered through the USB port but, like you also said, if the port doesn't give enough power then I wouldn't want to try it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can I. View Post
In Turkey we have 6NH as standard and the other options are 6NK (220 euros) and 6NF (500 euros) . This is all we have.
And my dealer says that 6NH would be enough for bluetooth calls and connecting iPhone with the white Apple USB. So what are the advantages of 6NK and 6NF, don't know confused with all this.
6NF allows you to stream music from the smartphone when you plug it into the snap in adapter

6NK adds a combox, so should allow Iphone USB connection, Album art,Email calendar and notes, contacts with pictures, music via bluetooth

6NH allows basic Bluetooth calls
      02-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #33
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
To use the Original Apple USB cable and not the Y-Cable the car needs to be equiped with a combox.

In the USA the F30 does not come standard with it (6NH)
6NH needs the Y cable

Option 6NL (Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB) and also 609 (navigation) add combox

With combox the USB connection from the Iphone/Ipod will work
Ah, thanks. Sounds more logic to me, as the Y-cable that BMW sells is otherwise useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
lincabe
Rep
Drives: f30 328i

Quote:
You are quoting information for other BMW models
The F30 has different specifications

As far as i can tell from the technical documents you need combox to use the Ipod/Iphone USB.
The USA models dont have it standard a I mentioned.
Turkey models may be different

USA models need the options I mentioned earlier
Can anyone confirm this? 6NH indicates it provides a "USB Audio Connection" - and the manual indicates that the USB Audio connection will not work if there is anything plugged into the Aux port...

Also, as with most current iPhone and iPod accessories on the market today, you play the music through the apple connection-- there is no need to plug in an additional headphone line.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0