F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > No Hole License Plate Bracket with Park Distance Control
Studio RSR

10-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No Hole License Plate Bracket with Park Distance Control

Does anyone know if this is possible? I live in California so a front license plate is required so I want to find out ASAP so I can ask my sales rep if he can request to not have them install the front mount that i think is hideous looking... Does anyone know if it is even possible to request that for a state that requires front plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible? I live in California so a front license plate is required so I want to find out ASAP so I can ask my sales rep if he can request to not have them install the front mount that i think is hideous looking... Does anyone know if it is even possible to request that for a state that requires front plates?
I'm in Cali. I told my dealer on 4 occasions not to put on the front plate bracket. He sent me a pic of my car when it arrived. He used window paint and wrote "NO FRONT PLATE" on the windshield and taped a piece of paper over the front bumper with the same message on it.

They won't install it if you ask them not to. But you will have to sign a waiver when you take delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I'm in Cali. I told my dealer on 4 occasions not to put on the front plate bracket. He sent me a pic of my car when it arrived. He used window paint and wrote "NO FRONT PLATE" on the windshield and taped a piece of paper over the front bumper with the same message on it.

They won't install it if you ask them not to. But you will have to sign a waiver when you take delivery of the car.
So its not the the factory that does it? The dealer does it when they receive the car? But for instance lets say later down the line if anything can I come back and have them put it on?

Where are you in cali anyway?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
ƒ°
Rep

I'm sure they can put it on if you take it back. But literally, a kid can put it on. There are grooves that line up for you to screw the bracket on. You don't even need a drill.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm sure they can put it on if you take it back. But literally, a kid can put it on. There are grooves that line up for you to screw the bracket on. You don't even need a drill.
hows your luck with no front license plate going? I go to San Francisco alot and over there serious about it... Even if you headlights are too bright or color a bit too blue they ticket you...

Im mainly interested in seeing if i can do the no holes license plate bracket, but from what i saw they cover the sensor for park distance control.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:

Im mainly interested in seeing if i can do the no holes license plate bracket, but from what i saw they cover the sensor for park distance control.
Some of the tow-bolt brackets do, some don't. Good ones will indicate if they are compatible with PDC or not. Most say that you should remove them before going through a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
hows your luck with no front license plate going? I go to San Francisco alot and over there serious about it... Even if you headlights are too bright or color a bit too blue they ticket you...

I put my front plate on. I drilled it directly into the bumper. I just didn't want them to drill in the bracket since it requires 6 screw holes. The bracket is much less conspicuous than the infamous "license plate wart", but it's still way bigger than the license plate itself. The license plate straight into the bumper only requires two screw holes and in my opinion, looks much cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I put my front plate on. I drilled it directly into the bumper. I just didn't want them to drill in the bracket since it requires 6 screw holes. The bracket is much less conspicuous than the infamous "license plate wart", but it's still way bigger than the license plate itself. The license plate straight into the bumper only requires two screw holes and in my opinion, looks much cleaner.
So you screw it in yourself? do it require to remove the front bumper to put a lug nut on the other side to hold it in place.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Some of the tow-bolt brackets do, some don't. Good ones will indicate if they are compatible with PDC or not. Most say that you should remove them before going through a car wash.
do you know anywhere that sells the ones that are compatible with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Search the forums, there are many threads on this topic.

Here's one:

http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
Quote:

Here's one:

Thanks a lot nth at helps a lot. I was having a hard time finding one on google.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

Here's one:

I'm in Germany, waiting on my '13 m sport. I went to usmillworks, but after ordering, they told me that their product sets off the PDC on the m sport front bumper. They currently have no solution for it... Their product is the best I've seen so far, are there any solutions out there confirmed to work with the msport front bumper w/ PDC?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
s1k0ne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

I live in CA and asked my guy not to put it on also. I still have the sticker in front of the car stating it's brand new and have no license plate in the rear.... even though i received it........... =]
F30 6MT 335i - EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
I'm in Germany, waiting on my '13 m sport. I went to usmillworks, but after ordering, they told me that their product sets off the PDC on the m sport front bumper. They currently have no solution for it... Their product is the best I've seen so far, are there any solutions out there confirmed to work with the msport front bumper w/ PDC?
I wasn't able to find one for the m-sport. but then again i ended up picking up a car from the lot which had everything i wanted and more. I order sport, ended up getting EB2 M-sport. haha Plus since it was on the lot they already mounted the bracket. It doesnt look bad compared to the sport one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k0ne View Post
I live in CA and asked my guy not to put it on also. I still have the sticker in front of the car stating it's brand new and have no license plate in the rear.... even though i received it........... =]
Good luck with that. but read above. so i dont need a bracket anymore haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't able to find one for the m-sport. but then again i ended up picking up a car from the lot which had everything i wanted and more. I order sport, ended up getting EB2 M-sport. haha Plus since it was on the lot they already mounted the bracket. It doesnt look bad compared to the sport one.

Good luck with that. but read above. so i dont need a bracket anymore haha.
Haha, good luck for you getting the upgrade! Yeah, I suppose it could be worse, but I've searched pics of it w/ US/ Canada plates and it still looks a bit like a hitler 'stache to me... lol My dealer rep here suggested velcro til I can find a better solution... maybe I can find some that can be taken off similarly to the badging; but I already had the car debadged to avoid this! At least it's a relatively minor detail!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post

My dealer didn't put it on either (without me even asking) and I did not have to sign a waiver. When I asked after the fact, they said most of their customers don't want it, so they don't do it unless requested.
      01-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still no holes

Just picked 'er up on 3 January, the German dealer was nice enough to leave the bracket off the front. I came in with a couple rolls of velcro stripping and cut five pieces that just covered the flat center portion of the bumper. Still holding well, even after 4 hours driving in the rain to Prague and back. Hopefully it's easy to get the tape off when I get to AZ!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

If you ask they will leave it off. It's not their issue if you are pulled over.

I have a goMinigo.com bracket for my M-Sport. I don't use but I have it in the hole if I happen to be pulled over.

They will inform you that with the PDC on F30s you will have to drill their plate mount and your license plate to be offset to allow for PDC clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
skeeny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Hi. Could you elaborate a bit on the drilling you noted below? I bought one of these brackets, and it came with 2 left offset brackets, but the instructions don't address this so I have no idea what to do with the 2nd bracket. Anyone have a pic of how they did it on their MSport with PDC?

Thanks!
skeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThirtyFiveI View Post
If you ask they will leave it off. It's not their issue if you are pulled over.

I have a goMinigo.com bracket for my M-Sport. I don't use but I have it in the hole if I happen to be pulled over.

They will inform you that with the PDC on F30s you will have to drill their plate mount and your license plate to be offset to allow for PDC clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
skeeny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Question

Anyone have any installation information for the NHLPB with F30 M Sport and PDC? I've been driving in VA for about a month now w/o a front plate...I feel my luck is going to run out soon.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeny View Post
Hi. Could you elaborate a bit on the drilling you noted below? I bought one of these brackets, and it came with 2 left offset brackets, but the instructions don't address this so I have no idea what to do with the 2nd bracket. Anyone have a pic of how they did it on their MSport with PDC?

Thanks!
skeeny
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have any installation information for the NHLPB with F30 M Sport and PDC? I've been driving in VA for about a month now w/o a front plate...I feel my luck is going to run out soon.

Thanks.
If you're worried about popo, then just use some velcro. It should come off easier than the badges, and it sticks just fine in all the weather I've been in so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #22
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeny

Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks!
skeeny
I had no luck finding one. But then I got mine off the lot so it was already drilled.
Appreciate 0