F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android Integration
ARMA SPEED

03-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Mattt1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Does anyone have a link to the APKs? Are there 2 apps (one for the remote access and one for Apps)?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt1 View Post
Does anyone have a link to the APKs? Are there 2 apps (one for the remote access and one for Apps)?
Hi,

Yup, there are two apps:
* BMW Connected. To use, you have connect your phone through the USB port in the center console; it let's you see the calendar on your phone and add RSS feeds -- if you keep the phone paired with the car by Bluetooth, you can still use hands free and have access to the phones contacts and Text messages. Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nected.bmw.usa
* My BMW Remote, BUT that doesn't work in US -- here's the Google Play Link:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.bmw.remote

Hope that helps!
Al
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #25
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Holy hell, BMW snuck in connected for Android and didn't tell me?! Can't wait to try it out, hope everything is compatible. I'm sick of using my phone as a hotspot for my iPod............
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #26
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Holy hell, BMW snuck in connected for Android and didn't tell me?! Can't wait to try it out, hope everything is compatible. I'm sick of using my phone as a hotspot for my iPod............
Right now, it only works on 2014+ models but hopefully they'll make it available for cars on the older configuration as well.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #27
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Right now, it only works on 2014+ models but hopefully they'll make it available for cars on the older configuration as well.
Don't hold your breath. I seriously doubt BMW will be writing much new code for CIC Nav. The Android drivers alone would be a huge undertaking on CIC.
      03-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SON OF A B......why must BMW treat Android owners like this?!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Don't hold your breath. I seriously doubt BMW will be writing much new code for CIC Nav. The Android drivers alone would be a huge undertaking on CIC.
In my case, it wouldn't really matter because I retrofitted NBT to my 2012 328i and it works just like a 2014. I've tried the BMW Apps android version and it still doesn't have as many apps enabled compared to the Apple version. You can't use the Web Radio and also external apps like Pandora and Tunein radio aren't available yet

You're right though, there's no sense in them going back to enable support for CIC if there's really no incentive for them to do so.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiznberg View Post
The problem with Android is that it's too fragmented and it's a headache for developers, especially when you factor in hardware.

Over 50% of Android smartphones are running Gingerbread - a two year old operating system. 25% are running ICS, 1% are running Honeycomb, and 2% are running Jellybean - the latest Android OS. Add to that, handset makers like Samsung, Motorola and LG, are slapping different skins and their own music players on the devices. Some of them are even controlled by the carrier. It's a complete mess.

Compare that with iPhone: in under two months, 2/3 of all iPhone users have adopted the latest operating system, iOS 6. The OS is seamlessly integrated with the hardware and the same music player is the same on all 100 Million devices. It's a dream for developers and car companies to integrate it and guarantee a great experience for their customers.

TL;DR Don't hold your breath for Android integration in BMW.
Android = Mobile Malware

Not a droid basher (I'm on my second, a Samsung mini 4S) but, sorry to say it, iPhone just has better software. Android is all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiznberg View Post
The problem with Android is that it's too fragmented and it's a headache for developers, especially when you factor in hardware.

Over 50% of Android smartphones are running Gingerbread - a two year old operating system. 25% are running ICS, 1% are running Honeycomb, and 2% are running Jellybean - the latest Android OS. Add to that, handset makers like Samsung, Motorola and LG, are slapping different skins and their own music players on the devices. Some of them are even controlled by the carrier. It's a complete mess.

Compare that with iPhone: in under two months, 2/3 of all iPhone users have adopted the latest operating system, iOS 6. The OS is seamlessly integrated with the hardware and the same music player is the same on all 100 Million devices. It's a dream for developers and car companies to integrate it and guarantee a great experience for their customers.

TL;DR Don't hold your breath for Android integration in BMW.
It's purely an OS though, and available to any carrier, phone manufacturer, etc...

Android creates a lot of competition in the hardware spectrum. With iOS your only option is whatever piece of hardware Apple has decided to give you. It's one-size-fits all, so while they may produce a great product in their (large) segment people like me just could never use it.

I need to be able to use my phone as I see fit, not how a few execs in Cupertino think I should. Unfortunately BMW has shit integration with Android, but there are ways around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

Yup, there are two apps:
* BMW Connected. To use, you have connect your phone through the USB port in the center console; it let's you see the calendar on your phone and add RSS feeds -- if you keep the phone paired with the car by Bluetooth, you can still use hands free and have access to the phones contacts and Text messages. Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nected.bmw.usa

Hope that helps!
Al
Unfortunately only works with NBT nav cars. My 2013 MY car was built 09/2012 and cannot use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #33
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
In my case, it wouldn't really matter because I retrofitted NBT to my 2012 328i and it works just like a 2014. I've tried the BMW Apps android version and it still doesn't have as many apps enabled compared to the Apple version. You can't use the Web Radio and also external apps like Pandora and Tunein radio aren't available yet

You're right though, there's no sense in them going back to enable support for CIC if there's really no incentive for them to do so.
Are you sure Android integration (at least the full integration BMW plans) will be available for NBT without touch controller? Or did you retrofit touch controller too?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849546

Last edited by claykin; 03-12-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #34
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
It's purely an OS though, and available to any carrier, phone manufacturer, etc...

Android creates a lot of competition in the hardware spectrum.
Well, that should be true but what percentage of droid phones aren't Samsung? 5%
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #35
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Are you sure Android integration (at least the full integration BMW plans) will be available for NBT without touch controller? Or did you retrofit touch controller too?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849546
I do have the touch controller retrofitted but that really isn't necessary to enable Android support for Apps.

Android support can be enabled to any NBT head unit via coding but the NBT will need to be at a minimum integration level F020-13-07-506 (50.4) to have it coded.

If the NBT is from an earlier build, you can flash it with E-sys and reprogram the HU_NBT with a 07/13 build date. This will enable Siri Eyes Free, the volume bar, Album art over Bluetooth and the Android support.

Quite a few 2013 F10 and F30 owners from Europe have done this and got the 2014 features all working on their earlier builds. There's no need for a Touch Controller retrofit.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 03-13-2014 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #36
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Android = Mobile Malware

Not a droid basher (I'm on my second, a Samsung mini 4S) but, sorry to say it, iPhone just has better software. Android is all over the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Well, that should be true but what percentage of droid phones aren't Samsung? 5%

Appreciate 0