F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Uneven brake pad wear on rear - both sides same??
Extreme Powerhouse

04-14-2024, 02:31 PM   #1
rukp
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series GT 320- M sport

Uneven brake pad wear on rear - both sides same??

Hi All,

Anyone able to suggest why I'm getting uneven wear on the rear pads both rear wheel pads wearing the same - the outer pad is near enough worn to metal, caused a need to replace rotors on the OSF. Replaced both rotors and pads.

The inside pad on the piston is much less warn than the outer pad on both sides, pads were due for service in about 10k miles but due to metal to metal contact did it today.

No other brake issues - fluid changed on time, no leak in piston or around calliper, guide pins look good and not scored..

Thanks
Rukp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The usual cause for that is inadequate greasing of the caliper, pad and carrier mating surfaces. The result is rust, which prevents the caliper and pads from properly floating. I visually inspect and re-lubricate my brakes yearly. You can't rely on the sensors to tell you if pads need replacing, as there are eight pads but only two sensors. The iDrive guesstimate to the next required brake service is useless, it has no way to gauge pad wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:58 PM   #3
rukp
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series GT 320- M sport

Thks Billfitz, I had a little build up of brake dust but no rust, I had greased up as per the Bentley and online guides where pads meet the housing.

Will keep an eye on them. I agree the sensors are a bit of a nonsense and only a guide as they sit on one side only.

Thks

Last edited by rukp; 04-15-2024 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0