F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Vibration/rattle in drivers door
proTUNING Freaks

08-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Vibration/rattle in drivers door

340i just hit 4000 miles and developed a rattle/vibration in the drivers door, a few inches below the lock button. Any ideas? Maybe the lock mechanism? Back to the dealers or an easy door card removal and fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Could be the light mounted in that location that illuminates under the accented door card trim. Mine rattled a bit and I put some felt tape under it to fix it.

It could also be the door pin where it plugs into the latch mechanism. That piece can jiggle up and down. Felt tape on the door pin hole (where it pops out of the door card) should provide enough friction to prevent that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Could be the light mounted in that location that illuminates under the accented door card trim. Mine rattled a bit and I put some felt tape under it to fix it.

It could also be the door pin where it plugs into the latch mechanism. That piece can jiggle up and down. Felt tape on the door pin hole (where it pops out of the door card) should provide enough friction to prevent that.
Thanks! Definitely not the pin as I've pressed certain areas and wedged the pin to see what stops the rattle! Could well be the lighting under the door card trim though as it stops when pressure is put on that trim! I will check it out thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
alexbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 318d M-Sport LCI

Could also be the seals, mine sounded like inside door but really was the seal against the black plastic line. Try to Gummi pfelge them
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbimmer View Post
Could also be the seals, mine sounded like inside door but really was the seal against the black plastic line. Try to Gummi pfelge them
Thanks but it's definitely not that, I get squeaky seal syndrome in hot weather, very annoying but we don't get enough hot weather in the UK for it to become a real problem! Its definitely a vibrating rattle coming from the inside of the door trim card, which stops if I firmly press the card trim!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Thanks! Definitely not the pin as I've pressed certain areas and wedged the pin to see what stops the rattle! Could well be the lighting under the door card trim though as it stops when pressure is put on that trim! I will check it out thanks again!
Any luck fixing the rattle? I just took ownership of a new 2017 340ix M Sport and had the rattle at the same area going over bumps and while accelerating like a resonance in my front passenger door. I too read about the LED strip and I pressed firmly along the length of it and it seemed to have fixed it. I also wondered if it were the door lock pin. And like you, it doesn't seem to be the case. The rattle sounds like a loose hard plastic piece is making contact with something.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
Any luck fixing the rattle? I just took ownership of a new 2017 340ix M Sport and had the rattle at the same area going over bumps and while accelerating like a resonance in my front passenger door. I too read about the LED strip and I pressed firmly along the length of it and it seemed to have fixed it. I also wondered if it were the door lock pin. And like you, it doesn't seem to be the case. The rattle sounds like a loose hard plastic piece is making contact with something.
Not had a chance to look yet. I plan to remove the whole door card trim to have a look! My guess is it's probably one of the clips that hold the trim on. I've had this exact sound in a few of my newer cars in recent years (one being a 2012 320d) and in both cases the sound just disappeared on its own after a few months, so I may give it a while and just turn up the radio when it irritates!! Problem with removing (and refitting) the door card it could actually cause more rattles to appear!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Not had a chance to look yet. I plan to remove the whole door card trim to have a look! My guess is it's probably one of the clips that hold the trim on. I've had this exact sound in a few of my newer cars in recent years (one being a 2012 320d) and in both cases the sound just disappeared on its own after a few months, so I may give it a while and just turn up the radio when it irritates!! Problem with removing (and refitting) the door card it could actually cause more rattles to appear!!
Best of luck! Please take pics so some of us could maybe turn it into a DIY project. I hate dealers doing stuff like this as they might scratch up your interior and cause more rattles in the process like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0