F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Have 4GC, wife wants 3 kids...what's next for me? Updated
Extreme Powerhouse

03-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #45
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Joe, you seriously can't be this arrogant and shallow can you? And you own a minivan and actually sound proud of it?

I hate Tahoes and most of its ilk, but, I'd take one in a heartbeat over a minivan.

Kids need comfort? Since when? Back in the day we stuffed brats in the back of a station wagon with a coloring book and told them to keep it down back there. Guess the inmates run the asylum in your home; suit yourself.

Please stop the grandiose statements. You sound like the loser who always wanted to be cool. A car can't make you "cool". You'd just be a lame with a nice car. You also don't become cool by putting people you think are beneath you down. That just makes you a douche.

I hope you're really a nice guy in real life, but you're sounding bad and that's a shame.
A poster was making the case that any car that costs $60,000 has the same level of prestige as a $60,000 BMW and I disagreed with him.

That does not make me shallow or a "douche", would appreciate it if you avoid passing judgement on people you do not know and calling them names. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #46
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Get a sketchy rape van. Not a mini van, provides a "status", plenty of room for the kids. FREE CANDY vinyl is also a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #47
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx15
I figured I'd put this out there to the collective, as the future version of myself is going to be moving into uncharted territory with vehicle needs. I know some of you are in this same situation, and I've searched and seen some threads on this, but I'm not any closer to having a clear path forward. Right now I have an almost-3-year-old and a 10-month old, and the wife is pushing for kid #3, which I am on board with. She drives a 7-passenger E70, I have a 435GC. We own the E70 and plan on keeping it a while, leasing the GC, but that lease will be up around the time that I'll strongly have to consider being able to drive 3 kids ages 5 and under around. We both work full time and travel every now and then, so I don't think we can get to a place where we just have 1 vehicle that can carry the entire family. I'd like to stay in a sedan, but I'm just not sure if that can happen....so, here's what I'm looking for some help with:

- Does anyone have 2 car seats and a booster in either a 3/4gc or a 5 at this point? Any variety of 3/5 will do, I'd consider an F31 if that would work but I'm not so partial to GT varieties. It looks like there is no way to get that car seat combo to work in my gc (especially with an infant seat and a base), but I'm not sure. If you have been able to make this work, what do you drive? Is it simply "livable", or does it actually work well for you? Anything outside the brand around that size (Q50, etc.) worth looking at? I'd LOVE to see some pictures of successful installs and recommended brands/car-seat products to look at.

- If it isn't possible (or worthwhile), is there another recommended way to go? I've been toying with the idea of getting a lower-cost 7/8 passenger SUV, or even a truck, although I'm not a big fan of needing to go that way, and convince the wife to get an M2 Vert for just us to have as a long term fun car. I really like this idea (obviously), but it might be a back burner thing in terms of priorities over the next couple of years so I'd love to see if I can land a balance between sporty/fun driving and ability to carry 3 kids.

Thoughts?
I have a 4Gc and 3 young kids

One child seat works for us

Two maybe but then no 3rd kid

We use one child seat. Other two get belts

Not perfectly legal but works for us

Gc not great for three young kids
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #48
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

I too dislike the look and driving dynamics of minivans. Not driving like Mario Andretti w/ my kid in the car, but that's the beauty of the automotive landscape today, there's so many choices for a family vehicle (F31, W212 wagon, Tesla, 3GT, 5GT, Rav4/CR-V, Highlander/Pilot, Tahoe, Sequoia, Suburban, Odyssey/Sienna/Metris, Sprinter, etc). The convenience and versatility of a minivan can not be denied, that's like saying the sky is green. Between the bags, strollers, etc, you do need more space than the F30 or F36 has. I have one kid for now, but when my turn comes to make this decision, I figured might as well go all the way with a diesel Sprinter van or full size conversion van
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #49
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Joe, you seriously can't be this arrogant and shallow can you? And you own a minivan and actually sound proud of it?

I hate Tahoes and most of its ilk, but, I'd take one in a heartbeat over a minivan.

Kids need comfort? Since when? Back in the day we stuffed brats in the back of a station wagon with a coloring book and told them to keep it down back there. Guess the inmates run the asylum in your home; suit yourself.

Please stop the grandiose statements. You sound like the loser who always wanted to be cool. A car can't make you "cool". You'd just be a lame with a nice car. You also don't become cool by putting people you think are beneath you down. That just makes you a douche.

I hope you're really a nice guy in real life, but you're sounding bad and that's a shame.
A poster was making the case that any car that costs $60,000 has the same level of prestige as a $60,000 BMW and I disagreed with him.

That does not make me shallow or a "douche", would appreciate it if you avoid passing judgement on people you do not know and calling them names. Thanks.
Joe, you were being shallow. Not just in this tread either.

Nor did I call you a name. I said IF that's what you're doing, it makes not only you, but me, and anyone a douche.

Prestige means what? A 3/4 series isn't prestigious. But whatever, who cares what you look like in the eyes of others? How happy does the car make YOU Joe, as the owner?

Prestige can't be purchased for under $60K. $100K cars and up may carry some social capital.

Who doesn't own/lease a 3 series dude?

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #50
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
might as well go all the way with a diesel Sprinter van or full size conversion van
Not so practical for around town, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't look forward to taking the kids to soccer practice with one of these:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #51
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Joe, you were being shallow.

Prestige can't be purchased for under $60K. $100K cars and up may carry some social capital.

And I'm shallow?

Use Google and come back and tell us what the average household income in the US is in 2015. While you're at it, Google the average length of ownership of a new car in the US, monthly mortgage payments too. From that, extrapolate how many people can afford a new 3 Series.

"Who doesn't own a 3 Series?" About 99% of the US population, that's who.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #52
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

if anybody has pictures of an F30 or F36 with three carseats in the rear I would LOVE to see it. My two kids are 6 and 4. Two convertible boosters in the back seat (one with 5 point harness, the other with just standard seatbelt) and there is NO room for my very petite wife to sit back there with them.

A buddy of mine claims that his S4 can manage 3 carseats in the back...i just can't believe that would work
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #53
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danguy426 View Post
if anybody has pictures of an F30 or F36 with three carseats in the rear I would LOVE to see it. My two kids are 6 and 4. Two convertible boosters in the back seat (one with 5 point harness, the other with just standard seatbelt) and there is NO room for my very petite wife to sit back there with them.
If anybody has pictures of an F30 or an F36 with a very petite wife in the rear I would LOVE to see it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #54
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:

Joe, you were being shallow.

And I'm shallow?

Use Google and come back and tell us what the average household income in the US is in 2015. While you're at it, Google the average length of ownership of a new car in the US, monthly mortgage payments too. From that, extrapolate how many people can afford a new 3 Series.

"Who doesn't own a 3 Series?" About 99% of the US population, that's who.
Was being facetious Joe. My point was that a 3/4 series isn't all that expensive. Particularly when leased and most of those are stripper models for the badge.

I used the term shallow because you sometimes have an elitist view on cars. My point is that the true elite show offs these days drive $100K plus cars.

Yes I know that our cars are in the luxury class, but there is always someone else out there with more and better. You wouldn't feel good if they thumbed a nose up at you to hurt your ego, so don't do it to others.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #55
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Was being facetious Joe. My point was that a 3/4 series isn't all that expensive. Particularly when leased and most of those are stripper models for the badge.

I used the term shallow because you sometimes have an elitist view on cars. My point is that the true elite show offs these days drive $100K plus cars.

Yes I know that our cars are in the luxury class, but there is always someone else out there with more and better. You wouldn't feel good if they thumbed a nose up at you to hurt your ego, so don't do it to others.
I don't thumb a nose at anyone, and the reason I'm in a 4 Series is because I'm laying low. I could be in a $150,000 car like the rest of the crowd I run with at work but I choose to be more frugal with my money.

This thing started because I said the typical American doesn't look at an American made SUV and drool over it's luxuriousness or cost the way they do a BMW. I did not say that's how I felt personally.

I believe what's going on here is you're looking for an opportunity to preach your views on social morality. It doesn't involve me because I am quite socially moral so please keep me out of it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #56
Sphinx15
Private
Rep
Drives: 96 300zxtt 22 Expedition 22 x7

Update

Interesting - bumping this back up because this thread appeared in a Google image search just now...so, an update:

We ended up having our 3rd kid and the countdown is on to replace the F36. Lease is up middle of July, wife is still anti-minivan so going to put that one on the back burner for now. I'm mostly interested in an SUV with captains chairs in the 2nd row, but would be happy to find one that can easily take all 3 kids across the 2nd row and have a 3rd row just available. We are still keeping our 7-passenger e70 for now, and looking at replacements so far I've driven:

XC90
Tahoe
Yukon XL
Durango R/T
Explorer
F150
Ram 1500

Out of all of these, somewhat surprisingly to me, I really like the Durango, the only thing is I'm not sure if I can live with the Hemi exhaust - pretty loud in the cabin but could always go with a 6. A very close second is the F150, unsure about having a truck bed and the fact that it won't fit in my garage are probably the biggest issues. Also surprising, I really didn't like the Tahoe - I can't believe how unusable the 3rd row is. Still on the list to drive:

MB GL
LR4/Disco5

Also to note, we ordered the thinnest-possible seats for infant/child/booster and we were still long by about 6" to be able to fit them across the 2nd of our e70. I think the problem is the three different seat types for the ages, so for now when we all have to travel the oldest is in a booster in the 3rd row, a royal pain to get him belted in so I'm looking forward to getting rid of that problem. Any other ideas/recs are appreciated - cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #57
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I think based on looks, the XC90 is beautiful. Haven't driven one though. I looked at the Jaguar F-Pace..you may want to check those out but it may not be big enough for your needs. I was close to getting one but ended up with an X3 instead to go along with my GC.
      01-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #58
F31MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel

Been there and done that! 3 Across the back of the F31. They are now all forward facing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #59
Sphinx15
Private
Rep
Drives: 96 300zxtt 22 Expedition 22 x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
I think based on looks, the XC90 is beautiful. Haven't driven one though. I looked at the Jaguar F-Pace..you may want to check those out but it may not be big enough for your needs. I was close to getting one but ended up with an X3 instead to go along with my GC.
I went and looked at the F-Pace but didn't drive it, I really like the look/style of it and it seems like a great option (especially with the new warranty), but the rear seat is cramped - the driveshaft also does a number on anything truly sporty for the middle. I also did like the XC90, wasn't crazy about how it drove but it was very nice - integrated booster seat in the middle is great and the 3rd row has an unbelievable amount of space - that might be the e70 replacement down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31MSport View Post
Been there and done that! 3 Across the back of the F31. They are now all forward facing.
Looks great - I think because my oldest is in a booster and uses a seatbelt, and the other two are in an infant clip-in and forward-facing makes the fitment a lot harder than having all 3 forward-facing...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #60
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Minivan.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #61
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Minivan is the best option.
1. easy in and out
2. more comfortable than the Tahoe with the lower floor.
3. More space for strollers.
4. Much cheaper than the Tahoe.
5. The Odyssey actually drives better than the floaty Tahoe.

The kids are going to destroy it anyways so why buy an expensive Tahoe?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #62
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Try a Nissan Murano. When I was shopping I drove one. The good news was that it drove very much like the Altima I was coming out of. The bad news was that it drove very much like the Altima I was coming out of, and I wanted better than that. The comfort level is good, with lots of cargo space, and fully loaded it only goes for around $40k. It would cost easily $70k for a similar size X5 comparably equipped.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #63
F31MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx15 View Post
Looks great - I think because my oldest is in a booster and uses a seatbelt, and the other two are in an infant clip-in and forward-facing makes the fitment a lot harder than having all 3 forward-facing...
I totally agree, my oldest has been technically ready for a booster for quite a while. I tried it out for about a week and reinstalled the convertible car seat because it was really difficult for her to reach behind the adjacent seat and find the seatbelt clip.

My next car will also likely be the XC90 but I'm concerned about the fuel consumption and the fact that it uses premium thus compounding the issue. I guess I've been spoiled by my diesel F31.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #64
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
Minivan is the best option.
1. easy in and out
2. more comfortable than the Tahoe with the lower floor.
3. More space for strollers.
4. Much cheaper than the Tahoe.
5. The Odyssey actually drives better than the floaty Tahoe.

The kids are going to destroy it anyways so why buy an expensive Tahoe?
I am in this boat.... and i wish my wife was anti-mini van

i will say though, the minivan is so convenient by leaps and bounds over any 3 row SUV. Not the most fun to drive, but when hauling two kids on a road trip with luggage, function beats form. We have a 2011 odyssey and it does come in handy. I try to avoid driving it, but when i do i realize how much more convenient it is. plus the dvd player keeps them quiet on long trips.

lease is up shortly on my 335.... took the kids to the local bmw dealer.. and they want a convertible...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #65
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

Well I am a bit of a Volvo fan so I would definitely tell you to go with the XC90, or maybe the new V90. Such a beauty!

As a side note I only hear bad things about the Durango, in terms of quality and residual value/being upside down. Also Chrysler was just slapped by the EPA with an emissions violation similar to the VW defeat device which would make me steer clear.

Also stop by the Dr. to get snipped some time XD
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #66
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickz View Post
As a side note I only hear bad things about the Durango, in terms of quality and residual value/being upside down.
The only vehicles with worse reliability than Dodge and Chrysler are Jeep.
Appreciate 0