F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3 to 6 months...for a thermostat?
Studio RSR

06-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

3 to 6 months...for a thermostat?

Been waiting since April 4th for a thermostat replacement to fix the CEL. I was originally told 2 weeks, then 6 weeks. Called Crevier and they said that it is a 3-6 month wait for the part. The lawyer in me is saying that this represents diminished use to some degree, especially since other failures that may trigger the CEL will now be hidden. Wife won't drive it with the CEL on and in talking to the parts guy at Crevier he mentioned that others felt the same way. Should I ask for some compensation?

The funny thing is the production line is getting all the thermostats they need while existing customers are relegated to the back of the line. What I should do is just order a brand new car and when it comes in after 70 days I should just ask them to take the new thermostat out of it and put it in my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Been waiting since April 4th for a thermostat replacement to fix the CEL. I was originally told 2 weeks, then 6 weeks. Called Crevier and they said that it is a 3-6 month wait for the part. The lawyer in me is saying that this represents diminished use to some degree, especially since other failures that may trigger the CEL will now be hidden. Wife won't drive it with the CEL on and in talking to the parts guy at Crevier he mentioned that others felt the same way. Should I ask for some compensation?

The funny thing is the production line is getting all the thermostats they need while existing customers are relegated to the back of the line. What I should do is just order a brand new car and when it comes in after 70 days I should just ask them to take the new thermostat out of it and put it in my car.
Man.. that sucks. I'm surprised they haven't offered you anything. I had to wait two weeks for a part and my dealer gave me a choice of a bunch of M performance accessories or a free MPPK install (labor only, but still). They were even going to strip the part out of one of their existing cars, but the module that I needed is specific for MTs and we all know dealers don't stock MTs. Anyway, yes you could and should ask for something.. How much or big is up to you.

Last edited by Vegetable; 06-24-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Seems like you could order a thermostat (if that's what the actual part is rather than the thermostat housing) through getbmwparts dot com and get it a lot sooner than 3-6 months. Also, what thermostat "module" is unique to MT cars? Something really doesn't sound right here. After that many months, I'd be demanding a replacement vehicle. Call BMW USA and complain - they should be able to rectify the situation one way or another, like financial assistance on trading up to a new car.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Same thing on my wife's X3 last week. Thermostats seem to be a problem for many newer X3 and 3 series, was told it might be a recall soon. Problem for me was that I'm driving it 1k miles to FL next week and that wasn't an acceptable answer. I got on the phone and found a dealership 45 minutes away. Installed the same day. Call around and see if any other dealerships have it. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

My wife called yesterday on the way from DC to NJ to tell me the outside temp was reading -40° on the gauge cluster & A/C wasn't helping much - it's actually in the mid-80s. Oh, and there's a silhouette of an engine... This is our 2013 328i xDrive CPO purchased <4 months ago.

I assumed it's a problem with the ambient temp sensor, but didn't know if it would set the engine service light. She scheduled an appt this AM with BMW of Mt. Laurel to check it out.

They replaced the thermostat to clear the engine light (there was an earlier thermostat recall/campaign that apparently had not been performed on our car during the CPO check), and removed some corrosion on the ambient temp sensor wiring plug & replaced the sensor. No charges, and thermostat was in stock!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks like our 2015 X3 is having the same issue, code P0597. Unfortunately it's already out of warranty so the dealer isn't going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Seems like you could order a thermostat (if that's what the actual part is rather than the thermostat housing) through getbmwparts dot com and get it a lot sooner than 3-6 months.
Nope I tried. They show in stock but then cancel the order. Same story with another major online bmw parts supplier. Both say indefinite backorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Same thing on my wife's X3 last week. Thermostats seem to be a problem for many newer X3 and 3 series, was told it might be a recall soon. Problem for me was that I'm driving it 1k miles to FL next week and that wasn't an acceptable answer. I got on the phone and found a dealership 45 minutes away. Installed the same day. Call around and see if any other dealerships have it. Good luck!
You're lucky, I've tried all dealerships around us. Crappy part is they say I can order one but they cannot say at all how long it would actually take to get. One parts department person I spoke with also mentioned that some cars had been fixed under "recall". Not really sure what that means since there is no official recall for the part. I guess if you complain enough you might get lucky.
      07-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Looks like our 2015 X3 is having the same issue, code P0597. Unfortunately it's already out of warranty so the dealer isn't going to help.
Sorry to hear that.. that's insane your MY15 is already out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
One parts department person I spoke with also mentioned that some cars had been fixed under "recall". Not really sure what that means since there is no official recall for the part. I guess if you complain enough you might get lucky.
Rather than a recall, there is a "campaign."
SIB 11 10 15 is what ours was replaced under. Service action - replace the thermostat.

Here's another:
Service Bulletin No.: SIB-12-33-14
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
NHTSA ID Number: 10058476
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
BMW 3-SERIES 2012-2013
BMW X3 2013-2015
BMW X4 2015

0 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC
SUMMARY:
BMW: DUE TO TRANSMISSION OIL HEAT EXCHANGER'S FAULTY THERMOSTAT OR ENGINE FAULTY CHARACTERISTIC MAP THERMOSTAT, ENGINE COOLANT FAILS TO REACH OPERATING TEMPERATURE, WITH LOW HEAT OUTPUT AND SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMES ON. NO MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Rather than a recall, there is a "campaign."
A recall is when something's known to have a propensity to fail and it's a safety issue if it does fail, so they don't wait for it to fail before replacing it. A campaign is when they know it may fail but it's not considered a safety issue, so if it doesn't fail they don't replace it. A thermostat isn't necessary for the car to run, it just brings the car up to operating temperature faster. In the summer not a real issue, but it could lead to a chilly commute in winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 02:19 AM   #10
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
How can a MY15 be out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
How can a MY15 be out of warranty?
Mileage.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Mileage.
Duh
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Duh
Yup, 58k and counting. Thanks for the info about the campaign. I ordered another one from Turner, if they cancel the order too then I might call our SA and see if they'll goodwill the campaign since it's obviously a known defect.
      08-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

I've got 67,000 miles on my 2013 328I. My check engine light came on the other day and it was my thermostat. The dealer here in Las Vegas had it in stock and it only took them a day to replace it. If all else fails maybe you can get the thermostat from another dealer and have them ship it to your dealer.

My dealer told me there's no recall or service bulletin for the thermostat, I even gave them the two SIB numbers listed above, my service advisor ignored it and told me not to believe everything I read on the internet and basically that there is no bulletin and it's all baloney what I read on here. Interesting. I wonder why so many people are having their thermostat fail. He also told me that there is no temperature gauge in my car and the gauge I'm looking at is my oil pressure gauge. So I took him out to my car and asked him why my oil pressure gauge reads in degrees Fahrenheit. He changed his tune and told me that's a new thing and they just started putting temp gauges in the 3 series, hmmm, my car is a 2013 and it's now 2016.

Bottom line is they replaced the thermostat and I gained anywhere from 5 to 8 mpg and the car seems to run smoother and is peppier. It actually felt like I got an oil change and tuneup when I didn't. Apparently my engine wasn't running at the proper temperature and it was sending a false temperature reading to my oil pressure gauge, I mean my temperature gauge that's something totally new that they just started putting in BMW's three years ago like it was yesterday. They replaced it under my extended warranty and if I didn't have the warranty it would have cost around $400 total. Get it fixed as soon as you can.

Needless to say next time my car needs service I'll take it to the other BMW dealer and hopefully the service advisor won't try and argue with me and treat me like I'm clueless. I tell you it was priceless, "Excuse me sir but can you explain to me why my pressure gauge here says degrees F on it? That's a strange unit of measurement for pressure if you ask me but what do I know I'm just a clueless customer that drives an amazing car."

Last edited by stroker15; 08-24-2016 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

It's an Oil Temperature gauge, not oil pressure and not water temp.

Sounds like your dealer service rep is one of those guys who says whatever comes into his/her mind instead of looking into it.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #16
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
It's an Oil Temperature gauge, not oil pressure and not water temp.

Sounds like your dealer service rep is one of those guys who says whatever comes into his/her mind instead of looking into it.
Oh dang that's good to know I thought it was water temp. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #17
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:

See if you can order one from another BMW shop? that will tell you if it truly is a 6 mth wait or if they are just dragging their feet.
      08-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #18
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker15 View Post
I've got 67,000 miles on my 2013 328I. My check engine light came on the other day and it was my thermostat. The dealer here in Las Vegas had it in stock and it only took them a day to replace it. If all else fails maybe you can get the thermostat from another dealer and have them ship it to your dealer.

My dealer told me there's no recall or service bulletin for the thermostat, I even gave them the two SIB numbers listed above, my service advisor ignored it and told me not to believe everything I read on the internet and basically that there is no bulletin and it's all baloney what I read on here. Interesting. I wonder why so many people are having their thermostat fail. He also told me that there is no temperature gauge in my car and the gauge I'm looking at is my oil pressure gauge. So I took him out to my car and asked him why my oil pressure gauge reads in degrees Fahrenheit. He changed his tune and told me that's a new thing and they just started putting temp gauges in the 3 series, hmmm, my car is a 2013 and it's now 2016.

Bottom line is they replaced the thermostat and I gained anywhere from 5 to 8 mpg and the car seems to run smoother and is peppier. It actually felt like I got an oil change and tuneup when I didn't. Apparently my engine wasn't running at the proper temperature and it was sending a false temperature reading to my oil pressure gauge, I mean my temperature gauge that's something totally new that they just started putting in BMW's three years ago like it was yesterday. They replaced it under my extended warranty and if I didn't have the warranty it would have cost around $400 total. Get it fixed as soon as you can.

Needless to say next time my car needs service I'll take it to the other BMW dealer and hopefully the service advisor won't try and argue with me and treat me like I'm clueless. I tell you it was priceless, "Excuse me sir but can you explain to me why my pressure gauge here says degrees F on it? That's a strange unit of measurement for pressure if you ask me but what do I know I'm just a clueless customer that drives an amazing car."
I usually go with the printed SIB bulletin.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker15 View Post

I'd complain to BMW about it. BMW corporate hits the roof when they hear about sh*t like that about an SA. They know crap like that goes on but when a complaint comes in the dealer gets a talking to. If Barry the BS'ing SA's name comes up once too many times he'll be working back at the Chrysler dealership he came from at half the salary.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

I just had mine replaced but now I notice under heavy acceleration that the engine makes a different noise. Almost like a cover is off or something was left open. Is this normal?
      08-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #21
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport
I just had mine replaced but now I notice under heavy acceleration that the engine makes a different noise. Almost like a cover is off or something was left open. Is this normal?
If the engine makes a consistent noise which can be replicated every time, by all means don't accept it and take it to the dealer. None of these noises are normal. My vehicle had a different noise which the dealer initially diagnosed as normal. I declined to accept the reason. The dealer performed additional diagnostics including oil tests which detected excessive metal shavings. Final diagnosis: premature connecting rod beating wear, resulting in an engine replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:

Autohausaz.com shows they have one for your car..about $67.74 plus maybe shipping.......

Part number shows is: MH-11538636595. Looks like it's a Mahle piece..not sure what stock BMW is..(which they show as out of stock as well.)

HTH.