F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > GM's Auto Stop Start is way better than BMW's
proTUNING Freaks

09-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #45
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
there is a great youtube video on the start stop dilemma by a guy named John Codugan, its a good watch.. hes awesome and painfully blunt......
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #46
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liwanji View Post
The first time I drove a car with ASS was in France. I rented a 6MT OPEL compact SUV and was surprised how I could stall the car when I had the clutch disengaged. I found it was a cool feature and was not annoyed at all.

The BMW ASS feature is intrusive because it feels like cold start with the car shaking. To be honest I don't care about the longevity of the starter because I am leasing, but still disable it because I don't like the shake. Also I feel BMW tries to stop whenever it gets a chance, so it is not uncommon the car shuts 3 times between 2 blocks.

2 days ago my Accord got rear ended and the other guy's insurance rented me an Impala. I do not like the interior design but who cares about a rental... as soon as I drive the Impala I notice the ASS was the same way that OPEL did: no shake, no loud start sound, only a very minor feel that I know the engine is being fired up. Also the Impala does not actively seek every chance to shut the engine. Say if the engine is shut then I start moving, unless I drive a comfortable distance the engine won't shut again. I know BMW also says the ASS won't activate under a lot of situations but we all know BMW ASS really likes to shut the engine.

Of course I still do not like the Impala more than BMW... but wish BMW can improve the ASS in the future. My friend has a Peugeot 508 and he says the 508 does the same as BMW, so maybe that's just the way European cars do?
Keep in mind that much of this is due to the Impala being FWD as opposed to RWD and the inline 4/6 engine will also always feel "rougher" on a start than a V-type engine (when comparing to a V6).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #47
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Yeah. I coded my f30 to just remember the setting when I turn the car off, so now I've disabled it for Comfort mode too and it just remains off all the time. The extra $4 in gas per year is worth not being annoyed at every stoplight
The 2016s automatically remember all modes other than ECO*, you don't need to code it.

Last edited by ScarecrowBoat; 09-07-2017 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: * sport to eco
Appreciate 0