F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hi new to site and security advice
Studio RSR

08-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
gunnyb
Rep
Drives: wanting 4 series

Hi new to site and security advice

Hi

Just joined the site, a bit of a fraud at the moment !!as i don't currently own a BMW !! But I used to have a 535i some years ago !!(17 odd years) but am planning on buying a 435d in December (2nd hand 1-2 yrs old).

I am doing lots of research at present in prep for my purchase, my main concern at present is security, having read a number of posts on this site, there seems to be quite a bewildering array of alarms, kits etc to secure your valuable car.

From what i have found out, i am leaning towards getting a Ghost immobilser and perhaps some form of tracker, ive looked at viper alarms etc, which seem great (but very complicated) but cant help thinking whats the point of having all the bells and whistles on a alarm, when bottom line the ghost will stop them nicking it in the first place, regardless of what cunning method they try, is that the case or not ? anyway current comments on the ghost system would be welcomed to help me make an informed decision on what security to install when i purchase my 435. I am also perhaps thinking of getting the standard alarm re coded so it does flashing lights etc when its activated, as i am led to believe currently in default mode you have no indication the alarm is set ? is this reasonably easy to do ? i live in Kent so any suggestions on good vehicle security firms in the county would also be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

No fraud here as you have been honest

I'm not sure what the "Ghost" system entails as a whole but I have to ask; do you live or drive in heavy crime areas? The BMW alarm system seems to do the job as it does include vehicle tracking if in fact the car is stolen and a few members here have had their vehicles recovered this way. (this is on top of the immobilizer and siren) Just my opinion but this sounds like overkill mate.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
gunnyb
Rep

Hi Jeff

I live in Kent, so not a million miles away from London, over the past few years BMW have had serious issues ( along with other car manufacturers) with cars being stolen, as firstly they are desirable cars to have/steal secondly "keyless" cars with OBD ports had serious issues in the past with key cloning devices, i am aware BMW have done some updates, but not sure they are "on top of the game" BMW still feature in the very top league of stolen cars each year, thieves will come up with new ways ( recently the key fob extender trick) to steal them. If i am going to spend a fairly large wedge of cash on a car, i want it to stay put on my drive or wherever i park it ! wasnt aware BMW would tack stolen cars with their own standard equipment as the norm ? i had heard it was possible but they liked to keep it a "secret" and not always do it, are they offering this as standard now then ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyb View Post
Hi Jeff

I live in Kent, so not a million miles away from London, over the past few years BMW have had serious issues ( along with other car manufacturers) with cars being stolen, as firstly they are desirable cars to have/steal secondly "keyless" cars with OBD ports had serious issues in the past with key cloning devices, i am aware BMW have done some updates, but not sure they are "on top of the game" BMW still feature in the very top league of stolen cars each year, thieves will come up with new ways ( recently the key fob extender trick) to steal them. If i am going to spend a fairly large wedge of cash on a car, i want it to stay put on my drive or wherever i park it ! wasnt aware BMW would tack stolen cars with their own standard equipment as the norm ? i had heard it was possible but they liked to keep it a "secret" and not always do it, are they offering this as standard now then ?
The vehicle tracking comes with the vehicle as a standard feature but not the alarm system. (tracking is a part of SOS) When I called the dealer about my missing alarm, they "said" (This is just passing that word along) that my car still has the immobilizer but I took it with a grain of salt as you know dealers! The tracking actually works great tool; when I had two flats, I called them and right before hanging up, I asked them if they wanted to know where I was then thought "crap, I'm IN my car so they know".

Now I can understand where you are coming from as BMW fell a bit behind and had to update their cars. Not sure if I would want to "trust" them after that either so I completely get it.

Hopefully someone that knows about those systems chimes in here for you.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
The vehicle tracking comes with the vehicle as a standard feature but not the alarm system. (tracking is a part of SOS) When I called the dealer about my missing alarm, they "said" (This is just passing that word along) that my car still has the immobilizer but I took it with a grain of salt as you know dealers! The tracking actually works great tool; when I had two flats, I called them and right before hanging up, I asked them if they wanted to know where I was then thought "crap, I'm IN my car so they know".

Now I can understand where you are coming from as BMW fell a bit behind and had to update their cars. Not sure if I would want to "trust" them after that either so I completely get it.

Hopefully someone that knows about those systems chimes in here for you.
My understanding was that all the new(er) BMWs come with passive immobilizers
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
My understanding was that all the new(er) BMWs come with passive immobilizers
Awesome, thanks for confirming!

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Awesome, thanks for confirming!
I am by no means an expert (just an enthusiast). My understanding is that since about 2007, any new vehicle should have immobilizer built in, especially with the increase of push button/keyless starts.

As well, from all the information I read online (forums, BMW sites, configurations, etc.), I cannot find any option or mentions to add this feature in (unlike the alarm option). Nor have I seen it as an option in any BMW VIN look up as a listing. Leading me to believe that the F30s *should* all have immobilizers built in. I also checked with my Dealer and was informed that my 2013 BMW has it (but like yourself, I do not trust the dealers that much)

If I am mistaken, someone please correct me!

FYI ... here is BMW's information about immobiliser:

https://secure.bmw.com/com/en/insigh...ic_immobiliser

EDIT: Looking at some e46 forums, it seems like BMW implemented it for the E46 chassis code.

Last edited by uncleruckus; 08-31-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-31-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Not what you want to hear, but I had a rental 530 (hired in UK speak) stolen from the hotel car park just up the road from you in Hextable/Swanley. I am 101% sure the car was locked about 10pm after returning from dinner, and it was gone at 8am the next morning when I went to drive to work. I thought for sure I had simply forgotten where I left it in an Old Speckled Hen haze.

The security cameras showed it driving out of the hotel grounds about 3am - so it wasn't flatbedded and it certainly wasn't immobilized. Hertz brought me another BMW, but I never heard if the car was recovered.
      09-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
gunnyb
Rep

Thanks guys interesting to here these things.

I maybe wrong (please someone tell me if so) but i think the problem with the BMW immobiliser is that if you have the key its going to tun off, therefore if you successfully break in and re clone another via OBD port, or manage to use one of these key fob range extender gizmos (to make the car think the key is closer than it is) the vehicles is going to start.

Where as something like the ghost immobiliser system is completely independent of the key, so even if they manage to re clone a key, use a range extender etc, the vehicle will not start unless they know the button combination code to turn the unit off ( its disarmed with a "PIN" code you decide yourself using any of the switches you have on the dash, i.e. 2 flicks of left hand gear paddle, turn passenger heated seat on/off, or anything like that)

cheers Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyb View Post
Thanks guys interesting to here these things.

I maybe wrong (please someone tell me if so) but i think the problem with the BMW immobiliser is that if you have the key its going to tun off, therefore if you successfully break in and re clone another via OBD port, or manage to use one of these key fob range extender gizmos (to make the car think the key is closer than it is) the vehicles is going to start.

Where as something like the ghost immobiliser system is completely independent of the key, so even if they manage to re clone a key, use a range extender etc, the vehicle will not start unless they know the button combination code to turn the unit off ( its disarmed with a "PIN" code you decide yourself using any of the switches you have on the dash, i.e. 2 flicks of left hand gear paddle, turn passenger heated seat on/off, or anything like that)

cheers Neil
The ghost immobilizer sounds like "Active" type of immobilizer (i.e. you need to take action to disable it) compared to the manufacture "passive" type.

If adding this type of device gives you piece of mind, I see no problems. To make IT/tech analogy , it's like adding a 2 factor authentication for your car ...... something you have (the original key to deactivate the built in immobilizer) and something you know (the code for the active immobilizer). Increased security is never a bad thing, especially if you are okay deactivating it every single time you drive.
Appreciate 0