F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I am liking Google Now (android) in my car
Studio RSR

05-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

This also works for Cortana (on Windows Phone)...

I've got to say it though... Cortana is a sweeter platform than Google Now (more context aware and personality). It combines the personality of Siri with the personal connection of Google Now.

I long press to make calls, send texts and emails (all via nickname).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
Ah, you still getting the voice dialer when the screen is locked? Yeah, I used to get that on my S4 - my phone is still an S4 but dont get that any more when locked - it runs Google Now when locked or unlocked - not sure hoe I got it to that state. I also played around with the BT launcher, and agree its pretty useless - so I also uninstalled.

As I say, not sure how, but I get google now on lock and unlock. The only thing I noticed if my S4 (running kitkat) is locked say in the door rest and I use long voice push to get to google now, the screen comes on, but then goes off about 3 minutes once I have done talking to my car.

There is a petition somewhere on the web to remove Google Voice dial and make Google Now the locked screen default.
Actually I use the home2 shortcut app to have it go to S-Voice, but I had to uninstall the Google Search Updates and use the original factory Google Search since the newest Google Search would bring up Voice Dialer and ignore the home2 short-cut app. These apps interact with each other and cause other things to break. It's very difficult to make this all work together, especially when a new version of Android comes out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #25
HoaScriven
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the best cell phone jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #26
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

Yep - he hit the nail on the head there.

Pay close attention to the part about ".... signals can bolt your about anywhere" for those trying to get emails to work. I suspect thats the key right there.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
As long as your phone is synced with your car via BT, thats all you need. Try it out.

Remember, one short press on the voice controller and you are talking to your car (show owners manual, guide to mums, etc). Do a long press on the voice controller (1 second plus) and you should should start google now and you will be talking to your phone via your car - your phones responses are read out on screen.

Try this - switch your phone on and onlock it to the home screen (so you can see what its doing), long press the talk button and Google now should launch on your phone and microphone appears on your cars screen - say "what is the distance to new york city" and google now should do the search, and your car should read out the result as text on screen, and a voice in the form "its 5297 miles to new york city" (or whatever the distance is).
Thanks! I gotta try. I press home button twice to activate google now on my phone. On the car, just one long press on talk? I remember last night i double tapped and the car didnt do crap lol. Will try tonight! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #28
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaScriven View Post
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the best cell phone jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
ok I tried. when I longpress on the talk button, the idrive screen shows mic and start listening. and like you suggested, I looked at the phone screen and google now gets enabled.
But it only recognizes "cal..l" and nothing else.
also on the phone screen, normal google now is white background, but when longpress on talk button is done, the phone shows black background. also 99% of the time, the idrive speaker says it didn't recognize anything.
On the phone when I am home, I say "ok google" and throw all these random questions, text, call and no problem doing it.
Oh and one more thing. When I longpressed the talk button for the first time in the car, my phone said I need to download samsung HD woman voice, which I did. But then I guess this is related to s voice since it is from samsung.
I really want this to work so I can start sending texts via google now while drivkng
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi View Post
ok I tried. when I longpress on the talk button, the idrive screen shows mic and start listening. and like you suggested, I looked at the phone screen and google now gets enabled.
But it only recognizes "cal..l" and nothing else.
also on the phone screen, normal google now is white background, but when longpress on talk button is done, the phone shows black background. also 99% of the time, the idrive speaker says it didn't recognize anything.
On the phone when I am home, I say "ok google" and throw all these random questions, text, call and no problem doing it.
Oh and one more thing. When I longpressed the talk button for the first time in the car, my phone said I need to download samsung HD woman voice, which I did. But then I guess this is related to s voice since it is from samsung.
I really want this to work so I can start sending texts via google now while drivkng
The issue you have is that when using blue tooth control to activate the voice recognition app on the phone, with the latest Google search installed, that when you do a long press, the google "voice dialer" comes up instead of the Google now search, and it can only recognize to "dial" and nothing else (and it misses this anyway). So I still use S-Voice, but you have to install the HOME2 app and have it assigned to use S-Voice when the Home Key is double pressed which is equivalent to holding the BMW voice button down for 2 secs. This makes the long press on the BMW voice call up S-Voice. I tried Bluetooth Launch app which is suppose to be able to set google voice to come up (providing you've disabled S-voice), but I found that messed up my media audio. So for now, I use S-Voice, and it's not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #30
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobN2Tech View Post
The issue you have is that when using blue tooth control to activate the voice recognition app on the phone, with the latest Google search installed, that when you do a long press, the google "voice dialer" comes up instead of the Google now search, and it can only recognize to "dial" and nothing else (and it misses this anyway). So I still use S-Voice, but you have to install the HOME2 app and have it assigned to use S-Voice when the Home Key is double pressed which is equivalent to holding the BMW voice button down for 2 secs. This makes the long press on the BMW voice call up S-Voice. I tried Bluetooth Launch app which is suppose to be able to set google voice to come up (providing you've disabled S-voice), but I found that messed up my media audio. So for now, I use S-Voice, and it's not too bad.
you know exactly what I was trying to explain! Awesome!
Ok, I already have home 2app and the double tap was assigned to google now. I will make it back to s-voice (which is default when double tapped, so I don't know home 2 app is necessary if I am trying to just use s-voice?).
I'll try it thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #31
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok, i am frustrated lol'
I'll try to explain chronologically.
I went ahead and used my "home2 shortcut" app to assign s-voice to turn on when the home button is double pressed (which is same as longpress on talk button on the car as you mentioned)
Then,
I turned on the car and the phone connected via BT automatically as usual.
The longpress on talk button brought up s-voice and the s-voice started talking through the car speaker!! yay! And I tried to send a text and I did!!!

Ok that was the exciting part, now....

As I was finishing up and s-voice was still talking, I connected the phone to usb as I always do (because of the BMW connected app), and as soon as it was connected, the car speaker lost the phone's s-voice and quickly the voice went back to the phone speaker.
Thinking it was weird, I long pressed on the talk button again on the steering wheel and nothing happened. Didn't hear anything thru the car speaker.
So I looked at the phone screen and guess what, the phone actually picked up the longpress and the s-voice was on. But then neither phone speaker or the car speaker was talking. It was dead silent. So after all, longpressing on the talk button doesn't work. Because the car speaker wouldn't pick up s-voice, and even the phone doesn't speak. So I can't even send text via s-voice while driving since i don't know if s-voice picked up, or even it is on, etc. I disconnected from usb and tried and still the same. I can't seem to get the first working condition back. Any inputs??

Oh, and something interesting: I connected the phone back on the usb. And when I long pressed on the menu button on my phone to bring up google now, when I said "ok google", the phone started hearing as normal with very retarded hearing function. It picks up everything I say usually, but it was having a hard time when I try to send message. And the interesting thing is, I see on the idrive screen that my phone is calling myself!! by itself! And I press the "end call" button on idrive and it won't hang up. Then when I say "ok google" and start trying to send message again and in the middle of it, somehow the phone stop calling myself. Creepy or what????

I don't know if this is related too. After I did all that while driving (trying google now), I stopped to get a drink, and when I started the car, the navigation was extremely slow to start. First, I saw just the blue arrow and nothing on the screen. Then after like 1 min, the roads started show, and after another min, traffic lines showed. During all that time, my blue arrow is stuck in the middle of the map and the map looks like it is frozen. Doesn't move at all. I am in the middle of somewhere that I am not at. and nothing is happening. After like 10 min, i think it finally started working. I poped up the media screen since i didn't want to see frozen navi screen. After I parked in the garage, i hit nav button, and it shows the correct location of where I was. So probably started working in the end. Ahhhhhhhhh
lol please help.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #32
gab2409
Rep
Drives: 328i

Has anyone gotten this to work with a nexus 4 (running 4.4.3)? I set up bluetooth launch to open google now when I long press the voice button. it opens, but then there is no interaction with my voice and it ultimately starts to call myself.

I've updated my bmw software to upd05021 and have a '14 f30 with the tech package.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #33
cyberprashant
Registered
Rep
Drives: black bmw 335i

Sounds cooll. Cant wait to try it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #34
cyberprashant
Registered
Rep
Drives: black bmw 335i

On android doesn't read music from sdcard?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, i am frustrated lol'
I'll try to explain chronologically.
I went ahead and used my "home2 shortcut" app to assign s-voice to turn on when the home button is double pressed (which is same as longpress on talk button on the car as you mentioned)
Then,
I turned on the car and the phone connected via BT automatically as usual.
The longpress on talk button brought up s-voice and the s-voice started talking through the car speaker!! yay! And I tried to send a text and I did!!!

Ok that was the exciting part, now....

As I was finishing up and s-voice was still talking, I connected the phone to usb as I always do (because of the BMW connected app), and as soon as it was connected, the car speaker lost the phone's s-voice and quickly the voice went back to the phone speaker.
Thinking it was weird, I long pressed on the talk button again on the steering wheel and nothing happened. Didn't hear anything thru the car speaker.
So I looked at the phone screen and guess what, the phone actually picked up the longpress and the s-voice was on. But then neither phone speaker or the car speaker was talking. It was dead silent. So after all, longpressing on the talk button doesn't work. Because the car speaker wouldn't pick up s-voice, and even the phone doesn't speak. So I can't even send text via s-voice while driving since i don't know if s-voice picked up, or even it is on, etc. I disconnected from usb and tried and still the same. I can't seem to get the first working condition back. Any inputs??

Oh, and something interesting: I connected the phone back on the usb. And when I long pressed on the menu button on my phone to bring up google now, when I said "ok google", the phone started hearing as normal with very retarded hearing function. It picks up everything I say usually, but it was having a hard time when I try to send message. And the interesting thing is, I see on the idrive screen that my phone is calling myself!! by itself! And I press the "end call" button on idrive and it won't hang up. Then when I say "ok google" and start trying to send message again and in the middle of it, somehow the phone stop calling myself. Creepy or what????

I don't know if this is related too. After I did all that while driving (trying google now), I stopped to get a drink, and when I started the car, the navigation was extremely slow to start. First, I saw just the blue arrow and nothing on the screen. Then after like 1 min, the roads started show, and after another min, traffic lines showed. During all that time, my blue arrow is stuck in the middle of the map and the map looks like it is frozen. Doesn't move at all. I am in the middle of somewhere that I am not at. and nothing is happening. After like 10 min, i think it finally started working. I poped up the media screen since i didn't want to see frozen navi screen. After I parked in the garage, i hit nav button, and it shows the correct location of where I was. So probably started working in the end. Ahhhhhhhhh
lol please help.
When you connect via USB, I believe the bluetooth is disabled since it is communicating directly. The bluetooth launch using the long press on the Cars voice button then would have no affect. I am not sure if there is an equivalent launch with USB. This might be a question for Samsung. I personally, do not find there is enough apps to use the connected drive, and would rather have the convenience of keeping the phone in my pocket and use all the enhanced bluetooth control features.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #36
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you connect via USB, I believe the bluetooth is disabled since it is communicating directly. The bluetooth launch using the long press on the Cars voice button then would have no affect. I am not sure if there is an equivalent launch with USB. This might be a question for Samsung. I personally, do not find there is enough apps to use the connected drive, and would rather have the convenience of keeping the phone in my pocket and use all the enhanced bluetooth control features.
Thank you. Will try that way. I am just so frustrated at this lol
Seems like the first time, the google now works, but from second question/words, the car doesn't recognize anymore. Somehow it is dialing my phone and i can't even hang up. So
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #37
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

was gonna make a thread on this, but this thread came up on search. So gonna bump this so everyone can see!

Def. a cool feature and Google Now >>>>>> Voice Dialer/ HTC Voice Assistant / S-Voice.. I don't know why OEMs are still trying their own voice crap since no one ever uses them.
      08-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #38
chris98891
Registered
Rep
Drives: '01 325i

I'm attempting to get this to work with my HTC One M8 with my 435i with the enhanced navi. Holding down the button brings up "Voice Dialer" which only gives you the option to call by name. I've tried switching our the bluetooth launcher with the play store app, but as stated above, it isn't elegant.

does anybody have any solutions they've found for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #39
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
I'm attempting to get this to work with my HTC One M8 with my 435i with the enhanced navi. Holding down the button brings up "Voice Dialer" which only gives you the option to call by name. I've tried switching our the bluetooth launcher with the play store app, but as stated above, it isn't elegant.

does anybody have any solutions they've found for this?
Hey, fellow m8 user here. What you need is to downward an app called Bluetooth Launch (I'm on my phone right now so unfortunately I can't link you directly)

The interface of the app is messy but they are in alphabetical order so scroll down and expand the Google Search menu.

Within the menu, select the fourth option:
com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.VoiceSearc hActivity

Now go go your car and try the long press command again, when the prompt asking which app to use come up, select Bluetooth launch and always.

You'll now have google now
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #40
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
Hey, fellow m8 user here. What you need is to downward an app called Bluetooth Launch (I'm on my phone right now so unfortunately I can't link you directly)

The interface of the app is messy but they are in alphabetical order so scroll down and expand the Google Search menu.

Within the menu, select the fourth option:
com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.VoiceSearc hActivity

Now go go your car and try the long press command again, when the prompt asking which app to use come up, select Bluetooth launch and always.

You'll now have google now
just downloaded and selected as you said.
We will see what happens when I get into my car tomorrow.
My eyes still hurt from seeing the menu on that bloody app lol Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I have been following this thread since I have a 2014 328i with Tech package and a Samsung S4.

First off, I have phone and car blue tooth paired. When I get a call, it comes through on the car's hands-free, regardless of whether I have the phone in the in the snap in adaptor or just in my pocket -- provided I remember to turn on phone's Blue tooth.

When in the adaptor, to use BMW Connected App, I have to have that App running before I put the adaptor in the tray; then it usually connects -- but as someone said above, there isn't much this App adds; the adaptor, does, however, keep the phone charging.

BTW, regardless of whether the phone is in adaptor or my pocket, I also have access to my phone's contact list.

Now for the weird stuff. I discovered that, with phone's Blue tooth on, by clicking SETTINGS, then MORE, then LOCATION, scroll down to bottom of screen, click MY PLACES, then click CAR, the phone goes into hands-free mode whenever I get in the car -- WOW, thought this was great!! S-Voice let me know when I got text message (SMS) and read it to me, if I said so after it asked (and could respond to it verbally, as well) -- though the voice is a little hard to understand. For the first incoming call, I long press on the button on the steering wheel and I can converse using the hands-free -- STILL GREAT!! Here comes the rub. On subsequent phone calls, I try to answer (the same way) and nothing!!!

I have undone this because of it's unpredictability. Also, still no joy for EMail

Anyone have any ideas???

Has anyone tried the Robin Android App??

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #42
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
I have been following this thread since I have a 2014 328i with Tech package and a Samsung S4.

First off, I have phone and car blue tooth paired. When I get a call, it comes through on the car's hands-free, regardless of whether I have the phone in the in the snap in adaptor or just in my pocket -- provided I remember to turn on phone's Blue tooth.

When in the adaptor, to use BMW Connected App, I have to have that App running before I put the adaptor in the tray; then it usually connects -- but as someone said above, there isn't much this App adds; the adaptor, does, however, keep the phone charging.

BTW, regardless of whether the phone is in adaptor or my pocket, I also have access to my phone's contact list.

Now for the weird stuff. I discovered that, with phone's Blue tooth on, by clicking SETTINGS, then MORE, then LOCATION, scroll down to bottom of screen, click MY PLACES, then click CAR, the phone goes into hands-free mode whenever I get in the car -- WOW, thought this was great!! S-Voice let me know when I got text message (SMS) and read it to me, if I said so after it asked (and could respond to it verbally, as well) -- though the voice is a little hard to understand. For the first incoming call, I long press on the button on the steering wheel and I can converse using the hands-free -- STILL GREAT!! Here comes the rub. On subsequent phone calls, I try to answer (the same way) and nothing!!!

I have undone this because of it's unpredictability. Also, still no joy for EMail

Anyone have any ideas???

Has anyone tried the Robin Android App??

Thanks
I was getting so excited reading your post until when you got nothing when answered lol
Still awesome. I went to setting on my S5 and found "car".
It has option of how to access it. I guess i can choose "bluetooth".
I will try when i get in my car.
What is Robin app btw?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #43
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I have an LG G2 with 4.4.2. Installed Bluetooth Launch and did as recommended. Long press pulls up Google Now. Great. Dictation works and I've dialed phone numbers, sent txts....

Problem is once I do this once, the long press on the steering wheel does nothing to "call up" Google Now to the iDrive system. The Microphone screen is on the iDrive, but there's no beep and no audio connection between the car and phone. Seems this is because Google Now app is running on the phone. If I kill the task, long press in car works again.

Anyone know a solution to this other than killing the task every time I use Google Now?

BTW, I have NBT_H firmware which is part of 2.53.x ISTA/P (latest).
      09-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #44
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
What is Robin app btw?
Robin is another voice activated Android App; it is rated very high. I have downloaded it to my phone and it detects when the car is moving, but haven't figured out how to get it through the car's hands-free yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I have an LG G2 with 4.4.2. Installed Bluetooth Launch and did as recommended. Long press pulls up Google Now. Great. Dictation works and I've dialed phone numbers, sent txts....

Problem is once I do this once, the long press on the steering wheel does nothing to "call up" Google Now to the iDrive system. The Microphone screen is on the iDrive, but there's no beep and no audio connection between the car and phone. Seems this is because Google Now app is running on the phone. If I kill the task, long press in car works again.

Anyone know a solution to this other than killing the task every time I use Google Now?

BTW, I have NBT_H firmware which is part of 2.53.x ISTA/P (latest).
I also HU_NBT H version with ISTA/P 2.53.2--2.53.3. I have also tried Google now and can not figure out how to get it tied into car's hands free system.

So far the best I have done is using the Samsun S4's S Voice, but as I said above, it doesn't always work properly -- more checking to do on my part.

Will keep all posted and ask we continue the dialog

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0