F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT: I don't have a God, but.......
proTUNING Freaks

09-20-2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

OT: I don't have a God, but.......

I notice that there is, on BBC 2, a service from Westminster Abbey at 5.45 this very evening, a thanksgiving on the 75th Anniversary of the battle of Britain. After reading an amazing account of a spitfire pilot in yesterday's newspaper, from a then 24 year old battle of Britain pilot, it may be an opportune time for all who enjoy the way if life, and things we do today, a moments quiet reflection that were it not for these hero's, things could have been very different today.
Appreciate 6
Ennoch2257.00
      09-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #2
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Agreed. Some of the stories these guys tell are amazing.

Wow, NGT, you're being phylasophical today
      09-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I have a number of Gods - met have prayed to them enough lol.

Yes shall be watching it.

Have been to a few of these (only one at the Abbey).

One thing I noticed in nearly 30 years of Remembrance Days, was the decline in number of veterans each year, obvious I know as people age.

However, you do notice things each year to the next.

I also met some of those involved in the start of RADAR within the UK (my main trade was Air Radar technician)

The late 1930's were where a lot of things just started to click together at the very last moment.

We owe a lot to a disparate group of people from all walks of life, both from UK, the Commonwealth, The 'Colonies' and likes of Poland, Czechoslovakia etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

A good book to read is :

Ginger Lacey - Fighter Pilot.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
r0ckypil0t
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC - 2022???

One thing in common...

I have been privillaged to meet/host a few of 'the few' over the last 25 years. They all had a couple of things in common:
  • Appetite for a pint or 3
  • Love of machines (flying & cars)
  • A highly confident approach to the opposite sex

One Czech General I met had been attached as a deputy boss to a brit sqn. He had been involved in a shocking loss of sqn personnel over a few days and so his remaining men took him down town and found him a wife! They took him to the pub first and asked who he liked in the village, he said the baker's daughter was quite nice, so his men arranged a date. They got married and he went on to command a sqn.

When I met him in 99 he had been assigned a personal secretary to help him with his many engagements - strangely enough she was a stunner, something that his wife constantly reminded him of everytime he oggled her

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum is a great book - true eye opener.

This is worth a watch - 3 minutes long - HERE

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and for the guidance of wise men..." Douglas Bader
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2023, 05:25 AM   #6
ginxgiftedfill
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2019

It's great that you came across the service at Westminster Abbey on BBC 2. Taking a moment to reflect and appreciate the sacrifices made by those brave heroes during the Battle of Britain sounds like a meaningful thing to do. It's fascinating how their actions shaped the world we live in today. By the way, I recently stumbled upon this website https://firstchurchlove.com while browsing online. It's got some interesting discussions about churches and religion. It might be worth checking out if you're interested. Oh, and just so you know, I'm new on this forum. Excited to join the conversations and get to know everyone.

Last edited by ginxgiftedfill; 05-29-2023 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0